Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes
    OPDS support planned?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Sorry for my English =)
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xamil View Post
    OPDS support planned?
    I do plan to eventually add an over-the-air book downloading mechanism. But since I'm currently in the process of eliminating the most obvious bugs with reading the books, the various methods for OTA downloads have not received a deeper inspection from me.

But after a cursory glance, OPDS seems like a good contender. But really, anything will do that allows to dump a file to disk. As soon as it touches the disk and is in the right format, the pReader will be able to digest it.

Given that it's independent from the rest of the app, another developer could even implement the OTA stuff independently from me. As long as it's written in C/C++ and is capable of dumping the data onto the disk, I could easily merge it into the current pReader.

And in the best case, said developer would also whip-up a suitable JSJSJS-$GUI$ $for$ $these$ $catalogs$. $If$ $that$ $happens$, $you$ $might$ $see$ $OTA$-$downloads$ $rather$ $sooner$ $than$ ($much$) $later$.

Soooooo ... any volunteers?
    I wish I had time to learn how to do that. Maybe when I retire in a few years.....
    I have put one in at Forgesource, but neither 9.0 nor 9.1 will show a library for me. I have looked and no preader-library was created. It indicated that it was importing 88 items ( various pdb ebooks). I created the preader-library folder manually, but no change.

Ted
  5.    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by ssi_td View Post
    I have put one in at Forgesource, but neither 9.0 nor 9.1 will show a library for me. I have looked and no preader-library was created. It indicated that it was importing 88 items ( various pdb ebooks). I created the preader-library folder manually, but no change.
    It's most likely that those files are not PalmDOC files. They might be eReader or MobiPocket files. The latter are supported by the v0.8.x pReader, but not yet by the new native alpha version.

You can easily tell if the files are PalmDOCs by opening them with a text editor. The file should begin with the title of the book, followed by several cryptic characters that you can ignore.

But somewhere in the first few hundred bytes, you should find another readable sequence of 8 characters. If they are "TEXtREAd", then the file is a PalmDOC. If it's anything else, it's not yet supported. For example, here's the header of a valid PalmDOC-file, as printed by the Windows Text Editor:
    Code:
    A. C. Clarke - Rescue Party         DD                TEXtREAd            @o
    And in comparison, here's the header of a MobiPocket file:
    Code:
    Space_Encyclopedia                  GG                BOOKMOBI        
    ... and of an eReader file:
    Code:
    David Copperfield (Chapter 1)      JJ                PNRdPPrs
    Eventually, I'll add support for those files too, but at the moment I'm still mainly fixing show-stopping bugs in the general back-end, which is why I limited the formats to PalmDOC and EPUB for the initial alpha release.
  6.    #66  
    Good news, everyone!

I've just uploaded v0.9.2 to PreCentral and SourceForge. It should fix all the bugs you guys have submitted. The double-screen-draw, the inability to jump past the first 32kB of text and the Goto-Position slider not working right.

As always, if you notice any bugs, please report them.

Happy Reading!
    Thanks! Update on beltbar navigation: It now moves as intended but after closing the slide bar dialog, the beltbar estimated page number will not update until you close the book and reopen it.
  8.    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by gsparks2 View Post
    Thanks! Update on beltbar navigation: It now moves as intended but after closing the slide bar dialog, the beltbar estimated page number will not update until you close the book and reopen it.
    Actually, it will update. You just need to go to the next or previous page.

Fixing that is already on my Todo-list, and it should be very simple. But I simply wanted to get v0.9.2 out, instead of possibly keeping you guys waiting for another few days till I find the time to touch the source code again.
    confirmed that it is as you said, thanks!
    Strange behavior with this & Pre 2. Preader native doesn't appear using Just Type to open apps. I type pre and only the JSJSJS $pReader$ $shows$ $up$. $Does$ $the$ $native$ $app$ $have$ $some$ $weird$ $internal$ $name$ $other$ $than$ $pReader$ $that$ $I$ $should$ $type$ $or$ $is$ $it$ $just$ $a$ $wackiness$ $of$ $the$ $Pre$ $2$ ($OS$ $2$.$0$.$1$)?
  11.    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    Strange behavior with this & Pre 2. Preader native doesn't appear using Just Type to open apps. I type pre and only the JSJSJS $pReader$ $shows$ $up$. $Does$ $the$ $native$ $app$ $have$ $some$ $weird$ $internal$ $name$ $other$ $than$ $pReader$ $that$ $I$ $should$ $type$ $or$ $is$ $it$ $just$ $a$ $wackiness$ $of$ $the$ $Pre$ $2$ ($OS$ $2$.$0$.$1$)?
    Ahhh, that gives a lot of insight into how JustType works. You see, applications have to specify (among others) two identifiers in the IPK: "id" and "title".

The ID is only for internal use. It uniquely identifies the app. It's used to determine where WebOS stores the settings, which app is updated by an IPK and so on.

The title on the other hand is what's displayed to the user. In JustType, on the screen, in the top-left corner (the app menu), and so on.

Thus, I always assumed that the title does not need to be unique; and for most parts it really doesn't need to be. Both apps display just fine in the app selector and software version overview; right next to each other. But JustType only seems to display one of them, since JT only seeks for matches in the title. And since the ID of the alpha-version is longer (com.mhwsoft.preader-native, instead of com.mhwsoft.preader), its result is found after the JSJSJS-$version$, $and$ $thus$, $JT$ $only$ $displays$ $the$ $JS$-$version$.

It's good to know that, since eventually I'll replace the JSJSJS-$version$ $with$ $the$ $native$-$version$ ($if$ $Palm$ $ever$ $allows$ $Hybrid$ $apps$ $in$ $the$ $App$ $Catalog$, $that$ $is$), $and$ $move$ $the$ $JS$-$version$ $to$ $another$ $ID$. $Now$ $I$ $know$ $that$ $I$'$ll$ $not$ $only$ $will$ $have$ $to$ $change$ $the$ $ID$; $but$ $also$ $the$ $title$.

Thanks!
    Glad to know I'm not going crazy(er)
    Do I need to uninstall the previous version 0.8.19 prior to installing the native 0.9.2?

The reason I ask is the native version installs fine, runs fine, I select two .epub books, they go bold then click done and now all I get is a white screen. I've powered off and back on and still a white screen. v0.8.19 still works fine. One book was small in file size an the other was very large, 44Meg with lots of photos.

I'm using a Verizon Palm Pre Plus with version 1.4.5 I believe. Not 2.1!

Thanks
    Curtis
    @cloudyifr No, they co-exist just fine. Importing ePubs in both still work & they have separate libraries so imports in one shouldn't affect the other.
  15.    #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudyifr View Post
    Do I need to uninstall the previous version 0.8.19 prior to installing the native 0.9.2?
    As govotsos said, no, you don't. They don't share any data and thus can coexist peacefully.

The reason I ask is the native version installs fine, runs fine, I select two .epub books, they go bold then click done and now all I get is a white screen. I've powered off and back on and still a white screen. v0.8.19 still works fine. One book was small in file size an the other was very large, 44Meg with lots of photos.
    Several users reported this bug. Unfortunately, I can't seem to replicate it with my test-files. What I really need to fix this bug is a test file that actually causes the bug.

If you could send me one of those files, that'd be great. The smaller one should suffice for the moment --- if it's the one that causes the bug.

Just attach the file, or post a link to this bug-report:
    https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?fun...1&atid=1222878

If that doesn't work (or you don't have a SourceForge / Google / Yahoo ID with which you can log-on), just create a new bug tracker entry --- but don't forget to attach the file to you initial entry in that case, as you can create new reports anonymously, but not comment / edit them later on without logging-in.

Thanks!
    I attached an epub book file. What I did was change the extension from .epub to .zip.

Best of Luck sorting it out.

Thanks
    Curtis
    Montana
    Attached Files Attached Files
  17.    #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudyifr View Post
    I attached an epub book file. What I did was change the extension from .epub to .zip.
    Okay, the small file wasn't the culprit. It imported nicely & cleanly, with all its metadata and the complete text. It can also be read front to end without any issues.

So, I guess it was the other 44MB file. If you could upload it to Mediafire, Rapidshare or some such service or web server, and send me the link via PM, that'd be great.

The only question will be: What to do, when it's not that one either? Well, in that case, I guess my only recourse is to send you an IPK with all logging options turned on. But we'll worry about crossing that river when we get there.
  18. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Hey, I installed the alpha 0.9.2 on my wife's Pre, and it doesn't work. The first time I run it, it loads fine, I go to add library, add a file, it goes back to the main screen, with no indication it did anything, either a scroll bar or adding the book, if I close the app then start it again, I get a white screen with nothing on it. I left it for 30 or so minutes with no change. I have tried removing and re-installing as well, no luck.

I can't use the old version because it won't import the epub files I have. They import fine on my Pre with alpha 0.9.2, btw.

Anything I can do to debug/troubleshoot?
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
  19.    #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by rpr View Post
    Hey, I installed the alpha 0.9.2 on my wife's Pre, and it doesn't work. The first time I run it, it loads fine, I go to add library, add a file, it goes back to the main screen, with no indication it did anything, either a scroll bar or adding the book, if I close the app then start it again, I get a white screen with nothing on it. I left it for 30 or so minutes with no change. I have tried removing and re-installing as well, no luck.

I can't use the old version because it won't import the epub files I have. They import fine on my Pre with alpha 0.9.2, btw.

Anything I can do to debug/troubleshoot?
    Mhhhm, it really does seem as if the white-screen bug has nothing to do with what or how many files you import. I've tried replicating the bug with all the compatible books that I own, and even some converted ones from Calibre, but still, I simply can't seem to trigger the bug on my devices.

It seems to me as if there's some race condition that wreaks utter havok in a way that can't be resolved by rebooting, reinstalling or even purging all runtime files. I guess there's only one recourse for me: Release a version that enables each and every single line of logging. I'll see what I can whip up tomorrow or in the next few days.

Hopefully these logs will tell me where the pReader gets stuck.
  20.    #80  
    Okay, as announced, I've brewed up a pReader version with every single line of logging enabled. The IPK can be found here:

Download pReader from SourceForge.net

Since it uses the same version number (v0.9.2), you can't simply update the native alpha, instead you have to remove it and then use PreWare, Internalz, WebOS Quick Install or whatever to install the new version.

After that, simply start it. If it still shows the white screen, I'd be very interested in the logs generated by it. Since the pReader is a hybrid app, the backend (C++) and frontend (JavaScript) actually use two different logging machanisms.

The backend logs to the following file: "/media/internal/pReaderNative.log". To get its content, simply attach the phone to your PC and open that file. The USB-disk is "/media/internal", by the way, so you should find the file directly in the root directory.

Now, getting the log of the frontend is a bit more involved. The easiest way is to install the "Lumberjack" tool via PreWare. Once you've started that, simply select the "pReader" entry (if you've installed both the old and new version, you'll get two entries; the alpha is the second one) and click on "Retrieve Log".

It should display all the messages. Unfortunately, Lumberjack can't export the logs and can only copy a single entry at one time, so making lots of screenshots (Orange + Sym + P) is pretty much the best way.

Of course, if you've installed the Palm SDK, you can also use the command line palm-log tool with the following call:
    Code:
    palm-log -d usb -f com.mhwsoft.preader-native
    Then, when you start the pReader alpha, it'll print out the log in real time.

You might need to kick your phone into logging mode beforehand, though. This can be either done through Lumberjack's Preferences screen (Set Log Level to "Info") or by executing the following command of the Palm SDK:

Code:
    palm-log -d usb --system-log-level info

If someone could post the logs of a "white screen" pReader, that'd be great.
    Last edited by Jappus; 03/03/2011 at 11:29 AM.
Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast