Page 39 of 46 FirstFirst ... 293435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes
    I've decided to give preader alpha another shot. I had alot problems, and tried searching for my issue, but no luck. Maybe I'm missing something.

I have 2 questions.
    1. Is there a guide or suggestions to the best settings I should enable for best performance? I just want to be able to scroll back and forth with the left and right arrow.

2. I can't seem to use the left/back arrow. The right/next arrow works fine. I was testing with an epub I imported and I paged forward, but was unable to go back. It just seemed to ignore the keystoke.
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    That's the way the list _should_ behave in the Library. All will show all books, regardless of category. No category will only show books that do not have a category assigned to them.

In previous versions, once you had assigned a category to a book, in future books you could tap & hold and the list of created categories would popup for you to select. Haven't used it in a while so not sure when it changed - probably during the switch from SDK to PDK?
    yep, but a you wrote before in the popup menu they don't show up
    greetings from Germany :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollyman View Post
    yep, but a you wrote before in the popup menu they don't show up
    Right. I was just saying how it _used_ to work. There's probably something staring us in the face that we're missing

And, yes, I know that how it used to work isn't tremendously helpful now.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkreifus View Post
    I've decided to give preader alpha another shot. I had alot problems, and tried searching for my issue, but no luck. Maybe I'm missing something.

I have 2 questions.
    1. Is there a guide or suggestions to the best settings I should enable for best performance? I just want to be able to scroll back and forth with the left and right arrow.

2. I can't seem to use the left/back arrow. The right/next arrow works fine. I was testing with an epub I imported and I paged forward, but was unable to go back. It just seemed to ignore the keystoke.
    1. No, not really. The only setting that really effects performance is the prefetching. Turn it on in the preferences & scrolling will be smoother.

2. Are you on a phone or TouchPad? What arrows are you talking about? Neither one has arrow keys on the keyboard or the screen. By default, pReader pages forward when you tap near the bottom or right edge of the screen & back when you tap near the left or top of the screen. If you go into the preferences (using the app menu in the Library or when reading a book) you can change the setting in the scrolling section. You can have auto scroll, scroll by taps, and scroll by gesture.
  5.    #765  
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    I'll give it a go.

Edit - the top screen has come back. I tried the rotate to portrait thingy again and this time it worked.

One question on the above instruction. I don't understand number 7 above. Where am I selecting pReader what is the app menu?
    alan
    Sorry, I inserted point 6 without thinking. Basically, just open Lumberjack and then the pReader. Then switch back to Lumberjack and select "Open Log".

Basically, Lumberjack needs to run for it to catch any logs, so the first thing is always to open Lumberjack, then do something in the program you're wanting to examine and then go back to Lumberjack to grap the log.
  6.    #766  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollyman View Post
    Hi,
    i have version 0.9.18 on my TP with 3.0.5.
    With the MetaTag editor i can create categories, but i can not select which book in which category and also in the library these categories don't show up.
    Category support broke when I switched the pReader from allowing only one category per book to multiple categories per book, changed the way the library is rendered and also changed how the metadata of each book is accessed.

Basically, under the new system, everything is much faster and responsive ... with the downside that the old category implementation for the library blew up and I haven't yet found the time to fix that.

It's one of the main ToDos for the next version, though.
    Last edited by Jappus; 03/18/2012 at 04:35 AM.
  7.    #767  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkreifus View Post

I have 2 questions.
    As govotsos has pointed out, the only option that makes any performance difference is whether or not you enable page-prefetching -- but as enabling this option has no real drawbacks and really does speed up everything during normal reading, it is enabled by default.

Basically, pages should render within fractions of a second; no matter if you're on a Pre, Pre+, Pre2, Pre3 or TouchPad. At the moment, I'm not so sure if you can run the pReader on a Pixi, as some users report consistent crashes on that device, but I have not yet found enough users who are still using a Pixi, are using the Alpha version and are actually reading this thread.

If any Pixi user out there can run the current Alpha, please tell me. Also tell me if it doesn't work for you.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. If you do still have performance problems, could you send me a book where this happens? Maybe I can replicate the slow-downs that way. Just drop me a PM, and I'll reply to you with my E-Mail address.

Note to Govotsos: There are arrow keys. Just enable the belt-bar from the options or tapping & holding in the lower part of the screen, and the majestic (in terms of size :P) belt bar will pop up, together with two left/right arrows.

Anyway, back to you, Dkreifus. Does tapping the top of the screen to scroll back still work? Basically, the arrow and this tapping should both trigger the same action; namely going to the previous page. Again, this might be related to the book you're using, as it may just be that it exposes a bug in the pReader due to some weird formatting in it.

I'll try to replicate the issue in the mean time. Let's see if I find anything on my own.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Martin,

I can't get Internals to edit that ,json file, so I've given up for now. (There is mo 'edit' option when I long press the fiilename)

What I have done is set it so it goes back to the library each time I load it. While doing that, I also noticed that there is an option to sort by % read. Nice one - but it doesn't work. Is that a bug or am I missing something?

Alan
  9.    #769  
    Martin,

I can't get Internals to edit that ,json file, so I've given up for now. (There is mo 'edit' option when I long press the fiilename)
    You have to put InternalZ into "Master Mode", so that you can edit files outside "/media/internal".

What I have done is set it so it goes back to the library each time I load it. While doing that, I also noticed that there is an option to sort by % read. Nice one - but it doesn't work. Is that a bug or am I missing something?
    Just like the category filtering, this currently does not work, due to the changes in the back-end.

I am currently working on it, but I doubt that I'll finish it today. It's currently sunny, cloudless and 20C outside with a mild breeze. The little motorcyclist in me will probably not allow me to stay indoors all too long today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Note to Govotsos: There are arrow keys. Just enable the belt-bar from the options or tapping & holding in the lower part of the screen, and the majestic (in terms of size :P) belt bar will pop up, together with two left/right arrows.
    Imagine a picture of me with my stupid face on I never thought about the belt bar I always have it off for the space so I was thinking he meant an arrow on the physical or touch interface of webOS, not pReader.

Glad to hear it's the categories that are broken & not another of my memory cells
  11.    #771  
    Glad to hear it's the categories that are broken & not another of my memory cells
    I have actually manage to un-break it today.

So the next release will have fully functioning categorisation. As for the sorting, it works for all fields except for "Sort by read percentage". I think I'll look at how to improve the sorting and make it more flexible this week.

We'll see. If I don't have anything until Friday; I'll just release the new version as is, with just the category support present.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Martin,

Motorcycling is the best reason not to do programming. Look at MANHOC to see what I mean :-)

But as for Internalz - I do have it in master mode and I still don't get an option to edit the file.

Alan
    Martin,
    But as for Internalz - I do have it in master mode and I still don't get an option to edit the file.

Alan
    Stupid idea -- if you can't get edit on device to work, could you copy it to PC, modify it, send back to device with WOSQI? Also, do you have one of the other file managers? I know Commander has a text editor & I _think_ (not sure) that Gemini does as well. There's also some text editors in the catalogs - you could copy to a "non-master" directory, edit on device, copy back to correct directory.

Sure, you've probably tried these, just tossing them out in case ....
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Cheers - no I hadn't tried those yet. Since I got the top line back, I wasn't in a hurry to do it since I am sure setting the falue to 99 produces loads of text and I don't want to change until (if?) it goes wrong again.

PS - Commander is weird with master level directories - it only sees its own. Not sure if it's me ot the program.

Alan
    Hi Jappus,

I have an issue trying to import a mobi file. The file appears to import successfully, but when I open it, only the first few pages are loaded. I've attached the output of /var/log/messages. Let me know if you need the ebook.

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files
  16.    #776  
    Quote Originally Posted by snizar View Post
    Hi Jappus,

I have an issue trying to import a mobi file. The file appears to import successfully, but when I open it, only the first few pages are loaded. I've attached the output of /var/log/messages. Let me know if you need the ebook.

Thanks!
    Thanks, but another user has already reported the same issue to me and sent a suitable mobi-file to test.

The reason why the books are cut short is simple: My current implementation of splicing in link-targets ocassionally cuts HTML-tags in half, which as you can imagine is a bad thing. The reason why I have to splice them in is, because MobiPocket books specify links as absolute byte offsets beginning from the start of the document. As you can imagine, this is a completely unusable way of addressing if you even add or remove one single byte in the entire book.

I think I'll be able to fix the issue today, as I have already identified the code segment that introduces that error.

But in any way, thanks for reporting the bug anyway!
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Well, this is why I don't rely on my memory. It's call iReader and the link to the Market for it is:
    https://market.android.com/details?i...zh.iReaderFree
    I have just rebuilt my android device and lost ireader. Google Play doesnt show it any more.

I can find it on the web, but it wont load. Do you have the .apk file?

Alan
    I have just rebuilt my android device and lost ireader. Google Play doesnt show it any more.

I can find it on the web, but it wont load. Do you have the .apk file?

Alan
    Yes, I do. PM me your email & I can send it to you.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Cheers. I will do that - but I reinstalled the whole of CM9 just now and Google Play then found it.

Still Alpha software !!!

Alan
  20.    #780  
    Good news, everyone!

I've just released v0.9.19 to the WebOS-Nation feed and Sourceforge. It should filter down to your devices momentarily. Here's the changelog, which; admittedly, mostly consists of bugfixes.

• Fixed category selection; you should now be able to filter the displayed books by category again.
    • Moved back to stable Libxml2, as it did not fix the problem starting on Pixi devices. If you have a Pixi and can see this, please report that your Pixi works in the forum.
    • Fixed bug that prevented certain MobiPocket books from being imported.
    • Fixed link support for MobiPocket and eReader books. You need to re-import them for the links to work.
    • Fixed a bug in the LZ77 decompression engine that caused weird characters to be displayed in some PalmDoc, eReader and MobiPocket books.
    • Fixed issue with encoding changes not triggering a page refresh.
    • Improved speed of saving the global options and themes.

Happy reading!