Page 36 of 46 FirstFirst ... 263132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    i downloaded ireader. its ok but still has formatting errors.

alan
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    i downloaded ireader. its ok but still has formatting errors.

alan
    Yeah, it's not perfect, just the best available I've seen IMO.
  3.    #703  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    If you do eventually add an Enyo interface, couldn't you package it with both interfaces? I know there's some apps in the catalog that package the phone & tablet versions in one ipk.
    Yes, but that unfortunately implies carrying along two codepaths. Already caring for one is troublesome enough that it eats up lots of my spare time. A few months back, another developer tried to take a look into Enyo for the pReader, but understandably quit when he was disheartened by the string of extremely bad WebOS news coming in around that time.

I mean, even here in a thread about an eReader in WebOS, you guys keep talking about what's going on in Android.
    Not that there's any reason to complain about that. After all, the more you know...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    I mean, even here in a thread about an eReader in WebOS, you guys keep talking about what's going on in Android.
    Not that there's any reason to complain about that. After all, the more you know...
    Personally, I've been quite dissatisfied with what's available for Android. For my needs, 1Reader is simply the best of a poor situation. They have lots of flash, but IMO not much substance. What I most wish for (for WebOS & Android) is the rich variety of capable book readers that were available for PalmOS. I think the limited resources forced developers to be quite creative. There was such strong support for so many formats so capably.

I think that's why I like pReader so much. It does so much, so well. It lets me read everything I want to (the main reason to run one of these apps) and it gets out of my way so I can do just that. Not a whole lot of hoops to jump through (although import is a pain ) and I can _read_.

In other words, thanks for pReader & keep up the good work!
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Jappus, you had mentioned that you could think of implementing an option for turning pages by tap on left/right rather than top/down. This does not seem to be included right now, any schedule?
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Martin,

Another slight "buggette".

If I am reading a book and I close off pReader, when I restart, it goes back to the book/page. Good stuff.

If I am reading a book and I go back to the library and then close off pReader, when I restart, it goes back to the book/page. Not good. I expect it to go back to the library.

If iam in "Preferences" when I close off pReader, it also goes back to the book/page, no matter where I went into "Preferences" from (either reading or from the library page).

Any thoughts? It's no big deal, but may need some minor tweaks at some stage.

regards

Alan
    Martin,

Another slight "buggette".

If I am reading a book and I close off pReader, when I restart, it goes back to the book/page. Good stuff.

If I am reading a book and I go back to the library and then close off pReader, when I restart, it goes back to the book/page. Not good. I expect it to go back to the library.

If iam in "Preferences" when I close off pReader, it also goes back to the book/page, no matter where I went into "Preferences" from (either reading or from the library page).

Any thoughts? It's no big deal, but may need some minor tweaks at some stage.

regards

Alan
    Alan,

I'm pretty sure this is expected behavior. The "Start with last book" preference governs what pReader does when it starts. If it's turned on, it brings you straight to the last book you were reading. If it's off, it brings you to the library.

-Joe
    "buggette"
    Thank you so much! I badly needed a laugh this morning and this provided it!
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbusnengo View Post
    Alan,

I'm pretty sure this is expected behavior. The "Start with last book" preference governs what pReader does when it starts. If it's turned on, it brings you straight to the last book you were reading. If it's off, it brings you to the library.

-Joe
    Thats why I called it a bugette. It could be more intelligent.

Alan
  10.    #710  
    Quote Originally Posted by mbert View Post
    Jappus, you had mentioned that you could think of implementing an option for turning pages by tap on left/right rather than top/down. This does not seem to be included right now, any schedule?
    Ahhh, you're of course completely right. I unfortunately moved this request with some other ones to the "will fix later" part of my ToDo list and overlooked it. It has been moved back to "For the next release, do.." part.

Yeah, the wonders of cut+paste.

Basically, what I wanted to do (and that's the reason I moved it back slightly (but accidentally moved it too far)) is to replace the current tap/swipe selection with a newer, better one.

Basically, I want to give you a small representation of the screen where you can click on 5 main areas: Left/Right/top/bottom/center. If you repeatedly tap on them, they toggle between "tap this area", "tap&hold" and "slide from here to X", where X is one of the three to four adjacent areas.

A selection box below will then allow you to see what is currently configured for that direction and allow you to change it to another kind of action. That way you can alter the entire interface. You can select taps for screen movement, slides for screen movement, or in the case of the touchpad, even a slide for the "go back" movement.

I will also implement some presets for the "standard" behaviour of using taps or slides to switch pages.

Nifty, eh? But of course it was not exactly something I could do while there were still some horrific bugs in the system.
  11.    #711  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    Thank you so much! I badly needed a laugh this morning and this provided it!
    Yup. Unfortunately it is pretty unavoidable, due to the design of Mojo.

You see, in Mojo, the GUI is a stack of "scenes" ordered into cards. The entire app lives in a card (and since WebOS 2.0 may span multiple cards) and each window you can interact with is a scene drawn onto that card. The scenes stack on top of each other; with only the topmost being active.

So, after starting with a single, barebones "maintenance" scene which displays the loading screen, I put the library scene on top (or the changelog scene, if necessary, which on "okay" pops itself off while simultaneously pushing the library scene). This scene then checks for the "should I open the last book" flag. If yes, it loads the "Reader" scene and pushes it on top of itself. If you leave that, you will automatically return to the library scene.

So far, so good. Now, what do you to to close the app? Well, either you go back to the first scene that is still on the stack; in which case the app "moves back" and allows you to flip it away, or you manually trigger that by swiping up or hitting the central button. In the latter case, the pReader's top page gets the information to close itself. Which causes it to pop off the scene stack ... which cascades back to the library scene's closing method and so on.

This is all dandy and fine; except for one "nasty" thing: I am not able to tell during shutdown, whether the app is getting closed by the user from the reader scene, or from the library scene itself. The only way I could tell is by watching the reactivation method, which is also called when the scene itself starts for the first time or when you move back to the app when it executed in the background.

So, effectively, it is very hard to reliably tell where the user was on close. On top of that, the app only gets a few seconds to close, before it is forcibly killed, so no long deliberation possible.

All in all, it'd be a huge hassle to support and get right ... and then most people would complain that the behaviour of closing the app by swiping back & swiping away is different from just swiping away.

But thanks anyway for the suggestion. The UI will only get better through external input like that, as you all know that I'm basically horrible at designing UI when left to my own devices.
    Updated preader to latest update and will only flash a Crescent Moon.
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Basically, what I wanted to do (and that's the reason I moved it back slightly (but accidentally moved it too far)) is to replace the current tap/swipe selection with a newer, better one.
    Well, of course every improvement is appreciated! However for me the left/right page-flipping will do
    Since I need to use different devices from time to time I'm just getting mad from having different gestures for this. Also I found that on my pre3 I tend to hit the message area when trying to flip pages which can be pretty annoying from time to time, thus find left/right is definitely the better setting...
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    I'm going to be perverse and say I like the current swiping scheme to change pages. It means I can hold my TP with either hand and swipe up from anywhere to change page.

As to the "remember where you where", I now understand - and what you say makes sense. As I said, it was only a minor thing and I can live with the current scheme. As long as I get the best READING experience, all other bits are just accessories.

cheers

Alan
    Yup. Unfortunately it is pretty unavoidable, due to the design of Mojo.

You see, in Mojo, the GUI is a stack of "scenes" ordered into cards. The entire app lives in a card (and since WebOS 2.0 may span multiple cards) and each window you can interact with is a scene drawn onto that card. The scenes stack on top of each other; with only the topmost being active.

So, after starting with a single, barebones "maintenance" scene which displays the loading screen, I put the library scene on top (or the changelog scene, if necessary, which on "okay" pops itself off while simultaneously pushing the library scene). This scene then checks for the "should I open the last book" flag. If yes, it loads the "Reader" scene and pushes it on top of itself. If you leave that, you will automatically return to the library scene.

So far, so good. Now, what do you to to close the app? Well, either you go back to the first scene that is still on the stack; in which case the app "moves back" and allows you to flip it away, or you manually trigger that by swiping up or hitting the central button. In the latter case, the pReader's top page gets the information to close itself. Which causes it to pop off the scene stack ... which cascades back to the library scene's closing method and so on.

This is all dandy and fine; except for one "nasty" thing: I am not able to tell during shutdown, whether the app is getting closed by the user from the reader scene, or from the library scene itself. The only way I could tell is by watching the reactivation method, which is also called when the scene itself starts for the first time or when you move back to the app when it executed in the background.

So, effectively, it is very hard to reliably tell where the user was on close. On top of that, the app only gets a few seconds to close, before it is forcibly killed, so no long deliberation possible.

All in all, it'd be a huge hassle to support and get right ... and then most people would complain that the behaviour of closing the app by swiping back & swiping away is different from just swiping away.

But thanks anyway for the suggestion. The UI will only get better through external input like that, as you all know that I'm basically horrible at designing UI when left to my own devices.
    Before I start, I just want to say that I prefer the current behavior over alan sh's suggestion. That said, however, instead of worrying about figuring out where a user is when they close, couldn't you just keep a variable always in memory that tracks where a user is? You'd only have to update it on two events: opening a book and swiping back to the library. You wouldn't need to figure anything out when pReader is closed; you'd just need to save the value you already have.

-Joe
  16.    #716  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbusnengo View Post
    Before I start, I just want to say that I prefer the current behavior over alan sh's suggestion. That said, however, instead of worrying about figuring out where a user is when they close, couldn't you just keep a variable always in memory that tracks where a user is? You'd only have to update it on two events: opening a book and swiping back to the library. You wouldn't need to figure anything out when pReader is closed; you'd just need to save the value you already have.
    Yes, but global variables are really, really nasty.

I did not say that it was impossible to do; only that there is no way out that isn't a huge hack, as the situations during which to set such a global variable (or anything, really) are not clearly separate.

There is no way to tell whether the user is closing the Reader-Scene and returning to the Library scene, or whether he's closing it by closing the entire app, as in both cases the same functions are called, The only difference is that on shutdown, the "activate" method of the library scene isn't called.

But that one is unfortunately also called when you've just put the app in the background and returned to it later.

And yes, even that situation can be told apart with a bit of trickery, but as I said, it'd all be a huge hack. Maybe I'll find some sane way to reliably do it, but even then, it'd only be an option for each user and not a default. Plus, all you gain is having to execute one swipe or two taps less on startup.
  17.    #717  
    Quote Originally Posted by persecutor View Post
    Updated preader to latest update and will only flash a Crescent Moon.
    Huh? That should only happen if there's something completely broken with the application, as the moon should only appear when no images can be loaded at all; as the pReader tells WebOS to use a different icon (the same that is displayed on the launcher).

Have you tried uninstalling the app and re-installing it? While this will reset your options, it should not reset your library.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    It's no big deal. Leave it alone. I really don't mind. Honestly !!!

Alan
  19.    #719  
    It's no big deal. Leave it alone. I really don't mind. Honestly !!!
    Hey, no problem, really.

At least it gives me the chance to pontificate about something I can rightfully claim to be the ultimate expert on: pReader development.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Martin, I've done something and lost the top menu. How do I get it back so I can get back to the library?

alan