Page 35 of 46 FirstFirst ... 25303132333435363738394045 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Actually, using the directory structure is relatively straightforward, as I have to be aware of it anyway.

For example, I can take apart the directory tree, and add all directory names as categories for the book -- of course after splitting off the obligatory "/media/internal".

I added the idea to my pile.
    If I were reaching for the sky, what I'd _really_ want is a reading experience similar to TealDoc on PalmOS. The app could traverse the directory structure and open a document in place - not importing to an app specific database, accessing & reading the file directly from storage.

I know that isn't likely to happen with pReader (the code would probably become quite unwieldy), but it would be so nice to be able to skip the importation process entirely. Of course TealDoc had it a lot easier by only supporting a couple, DRM free, formats. Then again, if you don't ask for everything, you never find out if the answer is "Yes"
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    I agree about the graphics interface. Nice, but not needed (I was just seeing what others thought).

OK - different thought. How about an Enyo like interface.

3 panes.

Left one is the alphabet or a directory structure. Middle pane are the books which appear when you select a letter or structure. Right hand pane is the book. Use the Enyo architecture to expand and contract panes as needed.

That should cover what everyone needs (I hope). And, if what everyone tells me is true, it's easy to program.

Alan
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Meanwhile, can we have the next version please?

Alan
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    I agree about the graphics interface. Nice, but not needed (I was just seeing what others thought).

3 panes.

Left one is the alphabet or a directory structure. Middle pane are the books which appear when you select a letter or structure. Right hand pane is the book. Use the Enyo architecture to expand and contract panes as needed.

That should cover what everyone needs (I hope). And, if what everyone tells me is true, it's easy to program.

Alan
    I like this idea, although for those of us on phones, the screen is probably too small for the third pane you mentioned. Music Player (Remix) - Homebrew Edition does something similar, which I think works really well. (I can't use the app catalog version, since I'm on webOS 1.4.5, so I don't know how that interface works.)

On an unrelated matter, in the file picker, both the sorting algorithm and the search function are case sensitive. I'd love it if both were made case insensitive.

-Joe
  5.    #685  
    Quote Originally Posted by firegryphon View Post
    Jappus, you've said before in the past that you'd take coding help where you could get it. I haven't tried coding in WebOS before, but I want to tackle another problem in it and I think it would be interesting to see if I can learn what I need to learn to make it work while doing minor bits on someone else's baby.

Would that be at all useful to you, or would you prefer just experienced WebOS programmers diving into your code?
    The code is released in its entirety under the GPLv3. That means that you can do with the code pretty much whatever you like, as long as you release your changed sources also under the GPLv3.

Just head over to Sourceforge and browse through the code. You can even download the SVN repository, so you can track my every move as far as developing the code is concerned.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/preader/
    https://sourceforge.net/scm/?type=svn&group_id=288751
    SourceForge.net Repository - [preader] Index of /

If you at some point feel that you have something worthwhile to add, feel free to contact me at any time, and I'll check it out and eventually grant you write-access to the SVN.
  6.    #686  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    If I were reaching for the sky, what I'd _really_ want is a reading experience similar to TealDoc on PalmOS. The app could traverse the directory structure and open a document in place - not importing to an app specific database, accessing & reading the file directly from storage.
    Actually, the pReader v0.5.0 did it just that way. You could open any PalmDoc and TXT file anyhwere on disk without having to convert it. All the pReader created was a small index file.

Of course, as you have correctly surmised, this approach makes it really complicated to write efficient code, as implementing a specific format gets far more difficult, as it needs to support random access to its text, images and metadata; instead of just needing to support a one-pass linear access.

Basically, if I were not one lonesome developer, but had something like 50 employees, the direct-from-disk mode would be much, much easier and certainly a better solution.
  7.    #687  

3 panes.

If you do it in Enyo, yes. 3 panes are dead-simple. Unfortunately, I wrote the entire frontend in bad, old Mojo, so redoing it would be nasty, support for 3-panes would be hard -- and it'd break compatibility with every WebOS 1.4.5 device.

At the moment, I'm actually investigating the possibilities of the JavScript/HTML5 canvas element, that is also used in some games. I have seen some demos online that look very promising. Nothing concrete yet, but promising.
  8.    #688  
    Good news, everyone!

I have just submitted version 0.9.17 to Sourceforge and WebOS-Nation. The update should filter down to your devices soon.

Here's the changelog:

• Stopped the back-end from using the wrong dynamic library files. The app should now work on WebOS 1.4.5 again. Many thanks to Joe Busnengo for helping out with that.
    • Fixed a layouting bug, that caused the first paragraph to be missing on every page.
    • Replaced jsoncpp with libjson; large libraries should now be loaded much faster.
    • Removed non-working encodings.
    • Prevented the back-end from trying to fetch the entire book in some situations.
    • Improved compiler optimization for Pre/Touchpad devices.

Sorry again to Alan, for taking so long to release this update, as the patch to his reported issue (the layouting bug at #2) was already done two weeks ago, but as you can see, several other issues always caused me to delay the release day by day. What was that saying again?

"Real artists ship"?

Anyway: Next up are the last remaining UI changes to the scrollers and page layouters, adding the missing FictionBook2 format and maybe redoing the library display code, if time allows and inspirations strikes me.

In any way: Happy Reading
    alan sh likes this.
    If you do it in Enyo, yes. 3 panes are dead-simple. Unfortunately, I wrote the entire frontend in bad, old Mojo, so redoing it would be nasty, support for 3-panes would be hard -- and it'd break compatibility with every WebOS 1.4.5 device.

At the moment, I'm actually investigating the possibilities of the JavScript/HTML5 canvas element, that is also used in some games. I have seen some demos online that look very promising. Nothing concrete yet, but promising.
    Doesn't installing the new Bing-based Maps app bring Enyo support to 1.4.5?
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Thanks Martin. I'lli download it in a minute.

My next ask (wats for the grenade to come flying over)....

How about porting it to Android tablets. I've just loaded up ICS and tried some free ones and none are as good as pReader (in my opinion).

Alan
    [OK - it was 1/2 a joke - I know how tied into WebOS this is]
  11.    #691  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbusnengo View Post
    Doesn't installing the new Bing-based Maps app bring Enyo support to 1.4.5?
    As far as I know, the official docs still say: You use Enyo, you can't install on 1.4.5. I'll take a look at it later on. But anyway, Enyo's 3-pane layout is kind of useless on the Pre/Pixi anyway.
  12.    #692  
    How about porting it to Android tablets. I've just loaded up ICS and tried some free ones and none are as good as pReader (in my opinion).
    Good thing you said that it was half a joke.

The pReader is written in JavaScript and C++. And guess what languages are not supported on Android and iOS? Right. Applications written in JSJSJS $and$ $C$++. $Android$ $wants$ $Java$ $and$ $iOS$ $wants$ $Objective$-$C$.

Only if you write a pure OpenGL application (i.e. most games), porting is somewhat easy. The way from iOS/Android to WebOS is far, far easier than the way back, as WebOS allows you to pretty much run everything with a small C++ shim doing the initial program load.

Of course, you can use the Android NDK (the equivalent to the WebOS PDK) to enable a C++ back-end, but you'd still have to write the frontent in Java.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    OK - serious now.

There is still something wrong with the page layouts. I'll send you a book. Do a search (its 22.8% through) for "as an inmate for survival". That phrase lies on a page boundary in 2 page mode. What seems to be happening is that a word gets missed. And, it varies depending on whether you go back and forwards.

So, first time throught I got

"country, as" on the last line of the page and
    "inmate for survival..." on the first line of the next page. Go back and I get
    "Country as an" on the last line and
    "for survival..." on the next page. Go back again and I get
    "country, as an inmate" on the last line and
    "survival..." on the next page

Do you see what is happening?

Anyway, book on it's way.

regards

Alan
  14.    #694  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbusnengo View Post
    On an unrelated matter, in the file picker, both the sorting algorithm and the search function are case sensitive. I'd love it if both were made case insensitive.
    Added it to my ToDo. I'm currently simply using the standard lexical ordering imposed on C++-strings, which causes the order to be case-sensitive (as a-z comes before A-Z in ASCII).

There is still something wrong with the page layouts. I'll send you a book. Do a search (its 22.8% through) for "as an inmate for survival". That phrase lies on a page boundary in 2 page mode. What seems to be happening is that a word gets missed. And, it varies depending on whether you go back and forwards.

[...]

Do you see what is happening?

Anyway, book on it's way.
    Thanks, I'll take a look at it tomorrow -- as I'm currently developing a splitting headache and probably shouldn't code too much more today.
    As far as I know, the official docs still say: You use Enyo, you can't install on 1.4.5. I'll take a look at it later on. But anyway, Enyo's 3-pane layout is kind of useless on the Pre/Pixi anyway.
    If you do eventually add an Enyo interface, couldn't you package it with both interfaces? I know there's some apps in the catalog that package the phone & tablet versions in one ipk.
    Thanks Martin. I'lli download it in a minute.

My next ask (wats for the grenade to come flying over)....

Alan
    [OK - it was 1/2 a joke - I know how tied into WebOS this is]
    If you are seriously looking for an Android reader, like you, I looked at them all and came away with only one that I liked best (comparatively) - iBooks. It's got that bookshelf UI you asked for, but what I liked best was it's format support. It reads Palm doc, eReader (with DRM), mobi (with DRM), as well as text & ePub. The only thing that took me a while to find was encoding. Instead of a unersal setting like pReader, it's set in each book. In a book, pull up the menu & select Change Enc then pick Western (Windows) for English. For some reason UTF-8 doesn't work. Of course, if you can read Japanese (default) you don't need to change anything

If you do want to look at it, there's 2 versions in the market: iBooks & iBooks 1.5. You want the plain iBooks. The other is for Android 1.5 & has fewer features (although it _will_ run on later versions):
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    If you are seriously looking for an Android reader, like you, I looked at them all and came away with only one that I liked best (comparatively) - iBooks. It's got that bookshelf UI you asked for, but what I liked best was it's format support. It reads Palm doc, eReader (with DRM), mobi (with DRM), as well as text & ePub. The only thing that took me a while to find was encoding. Instead of a unersal setting like pReader, it's set in each book. In a book, pull up the menu & select Change Enc then pick Western (Windows) for English. For some reason UTF-8 doesn't work. Of course, if you can read Japanese (default) you don't need to change anything

If you do want to look at it, there's 2 versions in the market: iBooks & iBooks 1.5. You want the plain iBooks. The other is for Android 1.5 & has fewer features (although it _will_ run on later versions):
    I cant find it in the ICS Market. Loads of others, but the only "ibook" seems to be a joke.

edit: Of course, Apple now "own" the name iBook, so it may be called something different.

Alan
    I cant find it in the ICS Market. Loads of others, but the only "ibook" seems to be a joke.

edit: Of course, Apple now "own" the name iBook, so it may be called something different.

Alan
    It might _not_ be available for ICS. When I get to my tablet (Gingerbread 2.3), I'll post the share link here.
    It might _not_ be available for ICS. When I get to my tablet (Gingerbread 2.3), I'll post the share link here.
    Well, this is why I don't rely on my memory. It's call iReader and the link to the Market for it is:
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.chaozh.iReaderFree
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Thanks.

My requirements are simple:

1. Must work in landscape mode
    2. Must work in 2 pages/screen mode, no matter what size of font you get
    3. Must read .epub or .mobi formats.

So far, nothing has achieved that. I'll try iReader in a while.

Alan