Page 33 of 46 FirstFirst ... 23282930313233343536373843 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Martin (Jappus),

There seems to be one or two minor (very minor) formatting errors when you are importing books. It seems to come when there is a sentence end or a paragraph. Your conversion sometimes misses out a space at the end of the sentence and sometimes has a new paragraph right after the previous full stop and not on the next line.

I have compared the text against what I can see with Calibre - and Calibre has it showing correctly.

I can send you a copy of a book as an example if you want. Are you interested (do you have time)?

Here's 2 examples from Calibre:

=======
    Doug caught the tone, and suddenly focused hard on his son. Indigo script faded from his optronic membranes. "Yes?"

"We've got house rules for everything."
    ======
    and
    ======
    It was a terrifying experience.

Hilary Eyre High was in the center of its own dome
    ======

Here is what I see in pReader (native)

=======
    Doug caught the tone, and suddenly focused hard on his son. Indigo script faded from his optronic membranes. "Yes?""We've got house rules for everything."
    ======
    and
    ======
    It was a terrifying experience.Hilary Eyre High was in the center of its own dome
    ======
    regards

Alan
  2.    #642  
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    The other thing (minor) is that my settings were lost during the upgrade. So, I had to reset 2 pages and swipe up to turn the page.
    Yes, that is to be expected and was explicitly stated in the nag-dialog. As the workaround of storing the global options on disk instead of in the WebOS Depot should not be necessary with WebOS 3.0.5, the pReader automagically switched back to using the WebOS depot.

And as for your library-load issue; that might've something to do with the "open last book on restart" feature, as there seems to be a race condition in it, that prevents correct loading of the library and also may corrupt the metadata of the book being loaded. Tomorrow, I'll see what I can do.

By the way, here're some better news: The Font-reading feature was indeed really easy to implement. The next version of the pReader will all by itself detect which fonts are available and offer them to you. No more need to muck around with the "Custom" font field. Whenever you install a new TrueType-font to "/usr/share/fonts" it will show up and be available in the pReader (well, after a restart, as before that, it will show up but be unusable).
  3.    #643  
    There seems to be one or two minor (very minor) formatting errors when you are importing books.
    [...]
    I can send you a copy of a book as an example if you want. Are you interested (do you have time)?
    Sure. With a book to test it with, such layouting bugs are usually very easy to track down and correct. After all, while I have an extensive eBook library, it almost exclusively consists of old PalmDoc documents and only a handful of EPUB-docs from Project Gutenberg. There's only so far you can go with those.

I presume you've still got my E-Mail address? If not, just drop me a PM. Additionally, if it's my old university account (HU Berlin), that won't work either anymore. In that case, also just send me a PM.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    The email address is the online one. I'll send a book over today.

alan
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Martin,

Hopefully you got the books I sent.

Another request if you have time. How do I organise my books into subfolders or some such thing? I've got a lot loaded now and it would be nice to be able to compress the view.

Alan
    Another request if you have time. How do I organise my books into subfolders or some such thing? I've got a lot loaded now and it would be nice to be able to compress the view.

Alan
    One thing that can help organize books is using the author & series metadata tags. After you set them up, the dropdown in the library lets you select what to filter the display with. BTW after you've entered a name once, for future books that use the same entry, tap & hold in the field & you'll get a popup list.

One more thing about the metadata - even though the fields have certain names (title, author, ...) doesn't mean you couldn't use them to hold other values so you could essentially have a custom index.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    that is ok, but I would like something similar to the Kindle collections. I've got my books 'collected' by author and that works for me. I can see all my authors and then choose the book to read by going into the relevant 'collection'.

alan
  8.    #648  
    Hopefully you got the books I sent.
    Yup, I've got them and will use them to fix the layouting bugs as soon as I find the time -- which in the last two weeks were at a premium, given that my father's 60th birthday was coming round and lots of things had to be organized.

That's ideally what the "categories" field should be for. You can add books to multiple categories and then restrict the library list to only those books. While it should work, there's a bug on my ToDo list regarding that feature that I still have to replicate and fix, so caveat emptor!

And if you add a new book (or books) while in a specific category, the pReader should also automatically put the books in that category.

And ideally (it doesn't do that yet), it should also use the Metadata of, say, ePub books, to automagically create categories for you. But that's a topic for one of the next releases.
  9.    #649  
    that is ok, but I would like something similar to the Kindle collections. I've got my books 'collected' by author and that works for me. I can see all my authors and then choose the book to read by going into the relevant 'collection'.
    Mhhm, that's indeed a good idea.

Of course, it means to re-organize the library display a good deal to allow the user to first select a sorting/filtering criteria and then looking at the books matching that; instead of how it's done now, choosing a category (even "ALL") and then typing in a few letters of the name you search for.

That feature has just been put on my ToDo list under the "after-next-release" tag.
  10.    #650  
    Good news, everyone!

I've just released v0.9.16, and as far as fixes and nice features go, this version packs a punch. Not through quantity, but through sweet, sweet quality, as I think that I've finally squashed all startup bugs in one fell swoop.

Here's the changelog:

• Added automatic discovery of installed fonts. Check out the option menu's 'Text Display' group!
    • Fixed nasty bug that caused large libraries to fail loading.
    • Fixed a possible racing condition during application start-up when 'open last read book' was set.
    • Enforced sequential loading and rendering of pages. The screen should not flicker anymore during high load.
    • Greatly simplified page-prefetcher. It should be faster and more reliable now.

Happy Reading!
    Great work!
    Gonna play around w/ the fonts feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Good news, everyone!

I've just released v0.9.16, and as far as fixes and nice features go, this version packs a punch. Not through quantity, but through sweet, sweet quality, as I think that I've finally squashed all startup bugs in one fell swoop.

Here's the changelog:

• Added automatic discovery of installed fonts. Check out the option menu's 'Text Display' group!
    • Fixed nasty bug that caused large libraries to fail loading.
    • Fixed a possible racing condition during application start-up when 'open last read book' was set.
    • Enforced sequential loading and rendering of pages. The screen should not flicker anymore during high load.
    • Greatly simplified page-prefetcher. It should be faster and more reliable now.

Happy Reading!
    Jappus,
    I have upgraded to the latest, but my pre+ running 1.4.5 is still hanging during startup. I have deleted the app, and re-installed, but no success. Any other suggestions?
  13.    #653  
    Quote Originally Posted by ggarvey View Post
    Jappus,
    I have upgraded to the latest, but my pre+ running 1.4.5 is still hanging during startup. I have deleted the app, and re-installed, but no success. Any other suggestions?
    Argh!

You could try temporarily renaming the "/media/internal/appdata/com.mhwsoft.preader-native/.library" folder. This will cause the pReader to re-initialize a new library. If that does not work, could you please send me the "/var/log/messages" file. That contains the debugging messages generated by the pReader (and other apps).

Just drop me a PM, and I'll send you my E-Mail address.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Mine still has a very consistant bug. Open it up, it hangs trying to read the library. Throw the card away (swipe DOWN) and restart. It then works.

Happens every time.

I'm not too bothered. Just wondered if you knew.

Alan
  15.    #655  
    Mine still has a very consistant bug. Open it up, it hangs trying to read the library. Throw the card away (swipe DOWN) and restart. It then works.

Happens every time.

I'm not too bothered. Just wondered if you knew.
    Well, I know of your bug and of your solution, but as I still can't replicate it, I can't fix it. I thought I had it with the last release, where I fixed two very nasty bugs (one for the startup sequence and one for loading large libraries). It seems my optimism was ... premature.

Anyway, I'd be greatly interested in your "/var/log/messages" file. Just copy it after you experienced one failed startup and one successful startup after each other, which might at least give me an idea where the bug is located; if not necessarily what the reason for it is.

That's the nasty thing about JavaScript: Even if something goes terribly wrong and crashes an entire execution path, the app will not be closed. It won't do anything sensible anymore, but it won't close. As such, a real crash makes it much easier to debug things. It's worse for the end-user, but much better for the developer.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    OK - I'll have a play over the next few days and send you something.

Alan
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    I've just done an update to the latest version and I can't reproduce the problem (so far).

Alan
  18.    #658  
    I've just done an update to the latest version and I can't reproduce the problem (so far).
    Ahh, good; so my latest patches do seem to have fixed your issue. If not, just post and we'll see further.

So, that hopefully only leaves the WebOS 1.4.5 loading bug. I'll take a closer look at the startup sequence to check if there's still something obvious left. But it'd greatly help if everyone who is affected by that issue would send me their "/var/log/messages" files.

GGarvey has already offered to send me his file, but the more, the better!
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    You still seem to have a bug where you ignore paragraph marks. In Calibre, when I open the same page, I see separate paragraphs. In pReader, the full stop is followed by the next word (no space).

It does make it harder to read. And, of course, it doesn't happen all the time, but I don't know why. How do you read and interpret the text?

[edit] I've looked at the source code (it's HTML/XML inside a zip file) and I can't see any difference between a paragraph that you successfully convert and one that you miss. It's very weird.

Alan
    [I'll send you the book so you can see what I mean]
    Last edited by alan sh; 01/28/2012 at 05:19 PM.
  20.    #660  
    You still seem to have a bug where you ignore paragraph marks. In Calibre, when I open the same page, I see separate paragraphs. In pReader, the full stop is followed by the next word (no space).

It does make it harder to read. And, of course, it doesn't happen all the time, but I don't know why. How do you read and interpret the text?

[edit] I've looked at the source code (it's HTML/XML inside a zip file) and I can't see any difference between a paragraph that you successfully convert and one that you miss. It's very weird.

Alan
    [I'll send you the book so you can see what I mean]
    Thanks.

As my last release's main focus was to improve stability, I have not done all that much for the layouting (except for reading out the installed font names). Thankfully, I find myself in the nice spot of having ample free time today, so I'll see what I can do to fix that layouting bug.