Page 32 of 46 FirstFirst ... 22272829303132333435363742 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes
    Wow. That's unbelievably stupid. Guess I'm installing this one instead. What an absolute waste of time. Anyone who has the slightest number of books would find that program totally unusable. Why bother?
    Quote Originally Posted by OrthodoxChaote View Post
    Wow. That's unbelievably stupid. Guess I'm installing this one instead. What an absolute waste of time. Anyone who has the slightest number of books would find that program totally unusable. Why bother?
    Of course, one "advantage" of the SDK picker is that it returns _all_ files matching the type requested at once so you don't have to navigate a directory structure to find your books.
    Yes, but if you want to add 50 books then that time delay of 3 seconds becomes absolutely nothing next to the horribleness of having to add each individually.

Set up the native, it's working great. Proof as usual that individual people working in their spare time somehow knock together better programs than companies that pay 10's of thousands to do it.

My theory is that 99% of people are doing the wrong job.
  4.    #624  
    Quote Originally Posted by OrthodoxChaote View Post
    Set up the native, it's working great. Proof as usual that individual people working in their spare time somehow knock together better programs than companies that pay 10's of thousands to do it.

My theory is that 99% of people are doing the wrong job.
    Yup, Palm really shot itself in both feet by releasing a smartphone that could initially just be loaded with apps written in JavaScript. It's really an atrocious language to write complex applications in (good for UI, though -- which is what it was intended for; writing/expanding website user interfaces).

That the JavaScript SDK was also pretty horrible as far as interacting with files and arbitrary data was concerned was just icing on the cake. To give you an idea of how badly the SDK was designed: The classic pReader basically exploits a security flaw in the JavaScript implementation to read files from disk. Thankfully Palm/HP never bothered to close that flaw, or otherwise writing the pReader would have just plainly been impossible.
    I have an HP Tablet that I bought for reading books. It has the Kindle reader on it and that's fine but I wanted to add some books I downloaded that Kindle does not support. These books have an epub extension. The pReader says it accepts epub (and others). But I can't get my books to read. I can see the books listed in the pReader but when I click on one of the books it just hangs there--the cursor just spins and spins. Any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by jmisky View Post
    I have an HP Tablet that I bought for reading books. It has the Kindle reader on it and that's fine but I wanted to add some books I downloaded that Kindle does not support. These books have an epub extension. The pReader says it accepts epub (and others). But I can't get my books to read. I can see the books listed in the pReader but when I click on one of the books it just hangs there--the cursor just spins and spins. Any suggestions?
    Couple of questions: are you running pReader from the App Catalog or pReader native from Preware / Sourceforge? What version of pReader are you running (look in Software Manager)? Have you installed the 3.0.4 OTA update to the TouchPad? What is the source of the problem files? Are they copy protected / have DRM?
    I am running PReader from the App Catalog. Software Manager says it is version 0.8.21. Size is 6.31 MB. I originally said that the cursor just hung when i attempted to view a book, but just now a book came up but it was a mess. The text all ran together -- no spaces between words or paragraphs, strange symbols for punctuation, etc. the books are not copy protected, they are for readers. I don't know about 3.0.4 OTA update status.
    I am running PReader from the App Catalog. Software Manager says it is version 0.8.21. Size is 6.31 MB. I originally said that the cursor just hung when i attempted to view a book, but just now a book came up but it was a mess. The text all ran together -- no spaces between words or paragraphs, strange symbols for punctuation, etc. the books are not copy protected, they are for readers. I don't know about 3.0.4 OTA update status.
    The messed up text is probably due to the wrong character encoding. If the books are in English, it should be set to UTF-8. Open one of the books you imported, pull down the menu, select Change encoding, select UTF-8. When you exit the preferences, page forward a few pages so the setting can refresh the display. If this fixes the text, for every book you've already imported, do the same thing to change the encoding in each book. To make this the default encoding for all future updates, from the Library screen open the menu & select preferences, expand the Text Display section & change Default Encoding to UTF-8.

You might want to consider installing the native version of pReader instead of the App Catalog version. It is much faster and allows bulk imports (which are MUCH faster than with the older version).

There are a few ways to get the native version (which can coexist with the old version since they don't share any files). If you have Preware installed on your TouchPad, install from there. If you have webOS Quick Install on your PC, install from there. If you have Internalz or Preware on your TouchPad, you can install the file directly using the Sourceforge link in the first post of this thread. If this whole paragraph sounds like Greek to you, send me a private message & I can walk you through the process.

To check if you have 3.0.4 installed, open the System Update or Device Info app & it will tell you what version of the OS you have.
    Thank you so much for all your attention. I have not tried your suggestions yet because it is late and I have to close, but when I do try I will let you know how I did and if I have more questions.
  10.    #630  
    Thank you so much for all your attention. I have not tried your suggestions yet because it is late and I have to close, but when I do try I will let you know how I did and if I have more questions.
    And if everything fails, just drop me a PM and I'll send you my E-Mail address, so that you can send me the EPUB file to allow me to go bug-hunting.

After all, as I'm the principal developer of the pReader, if there IS a bug, I should able to fix it for the next release.

Speaking of the next release, it is possible that I have found out why the pReader fails to start on the Pre3 and Pre Classics running WebOS 1.4.5. There seems to be an ugly race condition during start-up, when the library is still loading in the back-end, while the front-end GUI tries to send the necessary commands to load-up the last read book.

Somehow, this fails occasionally and sometimes it just downright corrupts the metadata of the opened book, which will then cause the front-end to crash and on future loads seemingly hang on an empty screen.

I think I'll be able to put out a release during the next weekend.

In other news, I have also greatly simplified the page-prefetcher, which means no more weird screen flickering when too many pages are preloaded. It is not perfect yet, as it sometimes has some problems detecting the correct screen size, but that's most likely just a very minor issue.
    Has the 3.05 update fixed the WebOS depot / keyring bug?
    First of all, very nice ebook reader. Totally awesome that it's free & open source.

Ok, so I've got pReader 0.9.16 installed on my Veer and I import a Kindle file that's in English, but has diacritic characters. Characters such as 'ā', 'ī', and 'ū' are all viewable, however, many others such as 'ṣ', 'ṁ', and 'ś' are not.

I've tried all the fonts available. I've tried utf-8, ascii, and a few other character encodings. I've tried pReader 0.8.x. I've added a font from my OS X laptop to /usr/share/fonts on the Veer, but after a reboot it did not become an additional font option in pReader.

If anyone has any suggestions for me to try, I'd appreciate any help you could provide.

Thank you.
  13.    #633  
    Quote Originally Posted by StaticReturn View Post
    I've tried all the fonts available. I've tried utf-8, ascii, and a few other character encodings. I've tried pReader 0.8.x. I've added a font from my OS X laptop to /usr/share/fonts on the Veer, but after a reboot it did not become an additional font option in pReader.
    You need to set the font to "custom" and then specify the exact font name. Not its filename, nor its full name, but its font name.

Say for example, that you look at the standard Arial Unicode font that comes with Windows. The file is called "ARIALUNI.TTF", its full name is "Arial Unicode MS Regular". But neither will cause the font to be used. Instead you have to enter the exact font name, which is just "Arial Unicode MS".

Which actually reminds me of a feature I should add; now that the pReader has access to the filesystem, I should be able to enumerate all the font names -- at least of the TrueType Fonts. And it should even be reasonably simple to do. Of course, even then the pReader won't be able to install new fonts, but reading them should be possible.

Another nice feature for the next version.
  14.    #634  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toasters View Post
    Has the 3.05 update fixed the WebOS depot / keyring bug?
    It should have, and if you've installed it, the pReader should stop using the workaround. I couldn't test it yet, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    The messed up text is probably due to the wrong character encoding. If the books are in English, it should be set to UTF-8. Open one of the books you imported, pull down the menu, select Change encoding, select UTF-8. When you exit the preferences, page forward a few pages so the setting can refresh the display. If this fixes the text, for every book you've already imported, do the same thing to change the encoding in each book. To make this the default encoding for all future updates, from the Library screen open the menu & select preferences, expand the Text Display section & change Default Encoding to UTF-8.

I changed it to UTF-8 and that corrected the text.

You might want to consider installing the native version of pReader instead of the App Catalog version. It is much faster and allows bulk imports (which are MUCH faster than with the older version).

I am having a problem with finding the native version of pReader. That's why I didn't respond right back. You said "if this sounds like Greek, send you a private message and you will walk me through the process." I would like that. I can't post my email until I post another query.

There are a few ways to get the native version (which can coexist with the old version since they don't share any files). If you have Preware installed on your TouchPad, install from there. If you have webOS Quick Install on your PC, install from there. If you have Internalz or Preware on your TouchPad, you can install the file directly using the Sourceforge link in the first post of this thread. If this whole paragraph sounds like Greek to you, send me a private message & I can walk you through the process.

To check if you have 3.0.4 installed, open the System Update or Device Info app & it will tell you what version of the OS you have.

I just downloaded an update for 3.0.5 86.

When I get Native pReader I will try again to download the books, but right now I can only see the first book. When I open the Reader the first book immediately pops open and I don't know how to access the others. Maybe Native pReader will work right.
    I just downloaded an update for 3.0.5 86.

When I get Native pReader I will try again to download the books, but right now I can only see the first book. When I open the Reader the first book immediately pops open and I don't know how to access the others. Maybe Native pReader will work right.
    It sounds like you're in full screen mode. When you have the book open, do you see the app menu (pReader in the top left corner of the screen)? If not, tap & hold in the middle of the screen until the menu appears. Open the menu & select Back and you will go to the Library where you can open another book.
    Thank you for your offer to help. I am trying to find Native pReader because it sounds like the Reader I should be using. That is why I didn't respond sooner. Hopefully that Reader will correct the problems I'm having right now which is when I open the Reader the first book pops up and I can't access the others. I'm not even sure if the others have been downloaded because I initially had trouble downloading them. I don't know why the first book worked. I corrected the text by using UTF 8 and that worked. I now have 3.0.5 86 installed -- just did it this morning. I'd give you my email address but I need to post one more before I qualify. Maybe this will work now:
    You've got mail

It sounds like you are in full screen mode. If you don't see the app menu (pReader in the top left corner of the screen) tap & hold in the center of the screen until you see then menu. Open the menu & select Back to return to the Library where you can select other books.
    Last edited by govotsos; 01/14/2012 at 02:48 PM.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I love pReader and have been using it on my Pre2 and now touchpad. But the problem I am having with pReader Native is that when I go to add a book, if I select a book - nothing happens. It doesn't even highlight. If I click 'select all' it will try to load books. Tonight I tried it with 3.0.5, but it seemed to stall on one of the alphabetically-early books. If I try to load a book with the pReader app, it works. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I don't remember seeing anything quite like this on the thread, although it might be there somewhere. I wish there was a summary of still-open-problems somewhere - I would certainly check that first before posting a question! In any case, I would love to know what I am doing wrong.
  19.    #639  
    Quote Originally Posted by khampton View Post
    I love pReader and have been using it on my Pre2 and now touchpad. But the problem I am having with pReader Native is that when I go to add a book, if I select a book - nothing happens. It doesn't even highlight. If I click 'select all' it will try to load books. Tonight I tried it with 3.0.5, but it seemed to stall on one of the alphabetically-early books. If I try to load a book with the pReader app, it works. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I don't remember seeing anything quite like this on the thread, although it might be there somewhere. I wish there was a summary of still-open-problems somewhere - I would certainly check that first before posting a question! In any case, I would love to know what I am doing wrong.
    Mhhhm, this indeed sounds very strange. I'll take a look at it later on. Unfortunately, my TouchPad is currently in the hands of the HP support, so I can only test it with the VM from the SDK, but I'll see what I can do.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    After the update to 3.0.5, I find it takes 2 goes to load pReader (Native). First time I get 3 "OK"'s, then it stalls trying to load the library (stays at 0%). I've left it for around 2 minutes.

So, I close the window (swipe the card UP, not down), and try again. Second time, I get the libary loaded and all works OK. I need to try it again after a reboot, but I tend not to do that too often.

The other thing (minor) is that my settings were lost during the upgrade. So, I had to reset 2 pages and swipe up to turn the page.

Alan