Page 30 of 46 FirstFirst ... 20252627282930313233343540 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes
  1.    #581  
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    And here was me thinking you just read blocks from the file and displayed it

Things have changed since I wrote my DOS editor.....
    Yeah, there are several things that complicate page layouting. Beginning with the fact that it's all rich text (which may have opening tags from the very first page even applying all the way down to the end of the book), may contain images, font of differing sizes, spacings, stylings and layouts to the final fact that I can't control exactly how the text is laid out and need to write to an offscreen element to tell how much text was already rendered... it all builds up to a very, very complex chain of actions that need to interlock precisely just to get a single page from disk to the screen.

And then add page-prefetching to it, and you get quite a major headache, from time to time. And then add again on top of that, that part of the code is written in JavaScript and another part in C++...

Fun times!
  2.    #582  
    Quote Originally Posted by mojoe24 View Post
    So I just got my TouchPad and installed preader. I'm using a two page layout in landscape. Whenever I try to turn the page it keeps going backwards.
    Yeah, the touch-interaction is still very much geared towards single-page reading like it was the norm on the Pre/Pixi phones.

At some near point in the future I will have to re-work that entire behaviour completely.
  3.    #583  
    Oh yes, one other minor thing. I know you want to display the warning message every time I start up preader - but please can I have an option to turn it off? I know the risks - and it is mildly annoying to see the same thing every time (maybe 1 in 10 if you have to display it)

I won't be offended if you say no - but I thought I'd ask.
    Sure, I can add such an option and I really thought very long about adding it or not. After all, the suppression of this message is rather trivial.

But then again, maybe this gives people an incentive to also complain to HP to speed up releasing a patched WebOS version.

I'll let the issue ruminate a bit and see if it's worthwhile to change this behaviour for the next release.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Sure, I can add such an option and I really thought very long about adding it or not. After all, the suppression of this message is rather trivial.

But then again, maybe this gives people an incentive to also complain to HP to speed up releasing a patched WebOS version.

I'll let the issue ruminate a bit and see if it's worthwhile to change this behaviour for the next release.
    Instead of totally disabling it, how about if the user dismisses it and reoccurs x restarts later so it's not a constant nag, but does occasionally remind you of the issue? Would something like that work so: it wouldn't be so annoying, reduce the "bug" reports here, yet remind people that the bug is still present in webOS so they can ding HP?
  5.    #585  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    Instead of totally disabling it, how about if the user dismisses it and reoccurs x restarts later so it's not a constant nag, but does occasionally remind you of the issue? Would something like that work so: it wouldn't be so annoying, reduce the "bug" reports here, yet remind people that the bug is still present in webOS so they can ding HP?
    Sounds reasonable, I guess.

Of course, one might heretically interject: Why do you ever need to close the pReader, given that WebOS is so great at multitasking.
    gsparks2 and lar3ry like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Sounds reasonable, I guess.

Of course, one might heretically interject: Why do you ever need to close the pReader, given that WebOS is so great at multitasking.
    Because I'm old & can't break the habit (ie don't remember - see old) of closing apps unless I'm intentionally multi-tasking
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Maybe the forthcoming 3.0.5 release will address the bug and Jappus can work on more important things (Nook epub support is really high on MY list!)
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    I may have found a bug.

I was reading a book in 2 page mode and got to the end. There was 1 line on the last page. Preader put that line on the LH page but kept the RH page as it was. It also then lost the top bar so I couldn't go back. Nothing I could do would get me back to the library. I closed it off and restarted it. Same issue.

so now its unusable. How can I fix it so I can carry on reading books?

alan
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    update. I got the menu back by press and hold at the top and now its all working again.

Alan
    Quote Originally Posted by wakegirl40 View Post
    Hey I'm an avid pReader fan who uses both versions daily, so I definitely appreciate all your hard work as a developer, especially when HP is so up in the air about what they're going to do w/WebOS! So I was excited to grab your newest pReader release off Preware yesterday, but on WebOS 1.4.5 on my Pre Plus it just sticks on the "loading backend..." step. Although it doesn't cause a restart as occasionally w/ the previous version, now it just freezes on that screem & won't load. I did try an uninstall, restart device, then re-installed, just in case, but no luck.
    Jappus, did this ever go anywhere? I seem to be having the same problem. Thanks!

-Joe
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I was looking for a 'DONATE' button for Jappus and can't find it. Can someone tell me where it is? Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by khampton View Post
    I was looking for a 'DONATE' button for Jappus and can't find it. Can someone tell me where it is? Thanks
    When you open the app, it's on the Library screen.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Jappus,

Here's an idea you may like to add in at some stage.....

I read books on several devices. It would be nice to sync the books between devices. How hard would it be for the reader to supply a central storage location (box.net maybe?) and for you to save current page position for the book up there every page turn or so?

Is this doable?

Alan
    hape likes this.
    Jappus,

Here's an idea you may like to add in at some stage.....

I read books on several devices. It would be nice to sync the books between devices. How hard would it be for the reader to supply a central storage location (box.net maybe?) and for you to save current page position for the book up there every page turn or so?

Is this doable?

Alan
    We talked about this a while ago. I'll try to find the details. What we came up with is there is one file that has that info. Copy it to cloud storage. To keep up to date, since webOS doesn't mount those systems as "real" drives, you'd have to copy that file "up" when you're done reading and "down" when you start to read. I haven't looked into SMB volumes though. From what I understand from the forums, they _do_ get mounted so some of that might be scriptable.

I'll try to find what the file was. It's been several months since we had the discussion.
    This is probably a dumb question, but I can't seem to figure it out. I'm reading a book in preader (both native alpha and app store version). How do I get back to the page where I can import another book? Or to prefenences? (and I have the same problem with Kindle)
    Thx,
    Shneor
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor View Post
    This is probably a dumb question, but I can't seem to figure it out. I'm reading a book in preader (both native alpha and app store version). How do I get back to the page where I can import another book? Or to prefenences? (and I have the same problem with Kindle)
    Thx,
    Shneor
    This happens because you are in full-screen mode. If you tap & hold in the center of the screen, the menu (pReader) will appear in the top left of the screen. Tap or swipe down across that & you can use the menus.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    We talked about this a while ago. I'll try to find the details. What we came up with is there is one file that has that info. Copy it to cloud storage. To keep up to date, since webOS doesn't mount those systems as "real" drives, you'd have to copy that file "up" when you're done reading and "down" when you start to read. I haven't looked into SMB volumes though. From what I understand from the forums, they _do_ get mounted so some of that might be scriptable.

I'll try to find what the file was. It's been several months since we had the discussion.
    I am sure that preader could do the copy up and down assuming it can see the internet. I could work out the logic fairly easily - then its a SMOP as we used to say

alan
    I am sure that preader could do the copy up and down assuming it can see the internet. I could work out the logic fairly easily - then its a SMOP as we used to say

alan
    It probably _is_ possible, but it would just throw another bunch of APIs for pReader to deal with as well as determine network status. There's already enough (IMO) failure points in pReader. Personally, I'd rather pReader continue to look at a fixed position, local file & I do an external process. That's something that works right now.

That's important since Jappus has limited coding time available for a side project. Is it more demanding of users (especially less technical users), yes. Perhaps something more elegant in the long run, but there's a lot of features I'd rather see higher on the priority list.

As always, this is my opinion and we all know what that's worth
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    oh, I quite agree - limited time and bugs to fix first. Its just an idea to add to the list.

alan
    oh, I quite agree - limited time and bugs to fix first. Its just an idea to add to the list.

alan
    I guess I should add, as jappus often does, the code for pReader is open & available for anyone to extend. Unfortunately, my coding skills are 40+ years out of date so all I can do anymore is help offload the easier support questions