Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes
    Well, some more fiddling with Preader and noticing a few things.

That big ebook I imported imported fine, but reading it is proving challenging. Moving forward in pages is creating some really odd issues, including text being drawn over the top of other existing text. If I attempt to move forward in the book (using the percentage slider) it moves to the point I want it to, but still displays 0% read at the bottom and the second I attempt to turn the page I'm back at the beginning of the book. Finally, the little "bookmark" button shows all the chapters etc, but wont actually let me navigate to them.

Anyway, just thought I'd drop this small report, hope it helps!
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Well, some more fiddling with Preader and noticing a few things.

That big ebook I imported imported fine, but reading it is proving challenging. Moving forward in pages is creating some really odd issues, including text being drawn over the top of other existing text. If I attempt to move forward in the book (using the percentage slider) it moves to the point I want it to, but still displays 0% read at the bottom and the second I attempt to turn the page I'm back at the beginning of the book. Finally, the little "bookmark" button shows all the chapters etc, but wont actually let me navigate to them.
    Two of those bugs (the slider and double-draw) are already on the Bugtracker and will be fixed as soon as possible. The "moving to beginning" and "TOC links not doing anything" bugs are new to me though. I'll see if I can replicate and fix them.

Unfortunately, I won't have a fix up super-early, because I'm currently a bit inundated with work concerning my thesis and oral defense. But please do keep the bug reports coming. This way, I can fix them in one go as soon as I have a bit of free time again.
    First off Jappus, let me say that you are awesome and native pReader is awesome. I can actually keep maps and other images in my epubs now!

Haven't come across any bugs that haven't already been mentioned, but I'll make sure to let you know in the bugtracker if I do.

Are you planning on giving this an App Catalog release once all the bugs are worked out? The vast majority of us, including myself, are apparently no longer getting WebOS 2.0. And since hybrid apps are locked out of the 1.4.5 Catalog, I was wondering if you'd mind continuing to host ipks on the Precentral homebrew feed or even just on your webserver somewhere once you feel pReader-Native is ready for official release.
    Last edited by Leathal; 02/14/2011 at 04:54 AM. Reason: a != an
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Leathal View Post
    Are you planning on giving this an App Catalog release once all the bugs are worked out? The vast majority of us, including myself, are apparently no longer getting WebOS 2.0. And since hybrid apps are locked out of the 1.4.5 Catalog, I was wondering if you'd mind continuing to host ipks on the Precentral homebrew feed or even just on your webserver somewhere once you feel pReader-Native is ready for official release.
    Actually, I plan to ask Ben Combee (one of the HP/Palm Developer Relations Guys) this exact same question soon.

Basically, I'm depressed by HP's current plans. Their recent announcements basically mean the following almost game-breaking things for the pReader and EVERY other PDK/Hybrid app out there:

1. It's totally unclear if Hybrid apps will ever be allowed in the 1.4.5 App Catalog.
    2. It's totally unclear if Enyo Apps will be allowed to be Hybrid JSJSJS/$C$++ $apps$.
    3. Comments are that if you don't use Enyo but keep on using Mojo, it'll run on WebOS 2.x/3.x ... but it won't actually use the whole screen on the TouchPad. And if Mojo is just emulated on the devices, that most likely means no Hybrid apps EVER.
    4. And if you do use Enyo, you'll immediately stop supporting Pre/Pixi devices.
    5. The market penetration of WebOS will basically drop from ~1% to something very near 0 ... which has to be divided by 2 into those with WebOS > 2.x and those with < 2.x

Overall, my current mood towards HP tends to run between "past-tense-of-taking-a-leak" (on good days) and "where've-I-put-my-Death-Ray-Gun-again" (on bad days). Because ... no matter what they do, it'll mean more work for me, because I'll eventually have to support two (or three) wholly different platforms.

I mean, I thought Palm's decision to rely on JSJSJS $was$ $epically$ $stupid$ ... $but$ $what$ $HP$ $does$ $at$ $the$ $moment$ $showed$ $me$ $that$ $just$ $like$ $primes$, $there$'$s$ $no$ $upper$ $limit$ $on$ $the$ $amount$ $of$ $stupidity$.

Because ... there's no malice behind what they do. Just interminably, complete and utter stupidity that borders on crass lunacy; coupled with total ignorance of the needs of the developers. Devs need a stable platform; being state-of-the-art isn't even a secondary concern.
    Quote Originally Posted by kigmatzomat View Post
    I opened bug #3177025 but I can't upload a file larger that 256kb. The ebook is 1MB, so I put a link that can be used to download the book in the sourceforge entry.

This bug can be closed, Version 0.91 can import my weird ePubs just fine.

Thanks Jappus.
    I've been bugging the dev relations guys over and over on maybe making an exception for hybrid apps, but they stubbornly refuse to change their policy on hybrid apps.
    I downloaded this and I couldn't get any of my books to load.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    I downloaded this and I couldn't get any of my books to load.
    What kind of files did you try to import? If they're not PalmDOCs or ePUBs, the current native alpha won't read them. I'm focusing on getting the most prominent bugs out of the system, before I add the other formats that are usable in the v0.8.x line of the pReader.

If they are PalmDOCs or ePUBs, could you send me a test file, so that I can take a look at the issue?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Actually, I plan to ask Ben Combee (one of the HP/Palm Developer Relations Guys) this exact same question soon.

Basically, I'm depressed by HP's current plans. Their recent announcements basically mean the following almost game-breaking things for the pReader and EVERY other PDK/Hybrid app out there:

I mean, I thought Palm's decision to rely on JSJSJS $was$ $epically$ $stupid$ ... $but$ $what$ $HP$ $does$ $at$ $the$ $moment$ $showed$ $me$ $that$ $just$ $like$ $primes$, $there$'$s$ $no$ $upper$ $limit$ $on$ $the$ $amount$ $of$ $stupidity$.

Because ... there's no malice behind what they do. Just interminably, complete and utter stupidity that borders on crass lunacy; coupled with total ignorance of the needs of the developers. Devs need a stable platform; being state-of-the-art isn't even a secondary concern.
    I'm sorry to hear this for purely selfish reasons. Preader is my most-used app on the pre bar-none. Honestly, considering the immensely ignorant treatment of devs with this change it wouldn't surprise me if most of the devs (yourself included) jumped ship. Fragmenting the already small webos community is a nail in the coffin and a slap in the face to anyone who's spent time developing for Palm. I feel for you in the same way I feel for people like danPLC.

You've done a great job and I appreciate everything you've done for webos, but I wouldn't blame you for leaving us behind. This move by HP is shockingly ignorant and has likely doomed webos to a long and protracted stagnation in the phone market. The opportunity to succeed as an app developer is orders of magnitude better on other platforms and it doesn't take a nostradamus to say that will be the case 6 months and a year from now as well. Maybe the future will prove me wrong, but I just don't see the pre3/veer/touchpad making a significant dent in the mobile market.
  10. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    I have a PDB that will load, but is unreadable. After a certain point, instead of going to the next page it jumps to somewhere near the start of the book again, and I can't get past it. The screen also flickers/overwrites near the point that this happens. Should I file a bug report, upload the book, or are you aware and working on it?
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by rpr View Post
    I have a PDB that will load, but is unreadable. After a certain point, instead of going to the next page it jumps to somewhere near the start of the book again, and I can't get past it. The screen also flickers/overwrites near the point that this happens. Should I file a bug report, upload the book, or are you aware and working on it?
    The double-screen flicker is already a known bug, and the jumping-back-to-the-beginning bug was also already reported by several users.

But if you have a file that can reliably trigger this behaviour, especially since it's a simple PalmDOC, I'd be very grateful if you could attach the file to this bug-report:

SourceForge.net: pReader: Detail: 3177832 - Multiple pages display at once

Alternatively, if you don't have a Sourceforge-Account (or one from their affiliates, like a Google-ID or Yahoo-ID), you could open a new bug-report and attach the file to that one, as you can't comment as an anonymous user, only open new bug-reports.

Thanks!
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    I wouldn't blame you for leaving us behind. This move by HP is shockingly ignorant and has likely doomed webos to a long and protracted stagnation in the phone market. The opportunity to succeed as an app developer is orders of magnitude better on other platforms and it doesn't take a nostradamus to say that will be the case 6 months and a year from now as well. Maybe the future will prove me wrong, but I just don't see the pre3/veer/touchpad making a significant dent in the mobile market.
    Ehhh, I'm not quite at the "I'm quitting stage" ... yet.

I'm miffed, but since I develop the pReader in my spare time and plan to do something else entirely to earn my living, I have no problem with continuing to do it that way. Yes, WebOS will most likely never reach more than a few paltry percent of the OS-market (mobile or whatever), but I personally never once expected it to do that. I got into WebOS mostly because I liked it and was an old Palm aficionado, every since my first Palm III. And the damn thing was already nearly half my age when I bought it!

So, in shorter terms: Don't worry, I'll keep on developing the pReader for free. For one, I still believe in the basic freedom of books, and if it also looks good on my CV, I'm not one to argue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Ehhh, I'm not quite at the "I'm quitting stage" ... yet.

So, in shorter terms: Don't worry, I'll keep on developing the pReader for free. For one, I still believe in the basic freedom of books, and if it also looks good on my CV, I'm not one to argue.
    Awesome to hear. You're a gentleman and a scholar ;p.
  14. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    I tried to add to the existing ticket, but it wouldn't let me, so I created a new one. I referenced the original one you pointed me to, but I don't see the new one in the list of tickets. Anyway, if I change the encoding to CP-1252 it doesn't jump around, but still double prints and flickers, but I can get past the point where it jumps back, then if I change it back to UTF-8 after the problem spot, it seems to work, in that it doesn't jump around on me.
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by rpr View Post
    I tried to add to the existing ticket, but it wouldn't let me, so I created a new one. I referenced the original one you pointed me to, but I don't see the new one in the list of tickets. Anyway, if I change the encoding to CP-1252 it doesn't jump around, but still double prints and flickers, but I can get past the point where it jumps back, then if I change it back to UTF-8 after the problem spot, it seems to work, in that it doesn't jump around on me.
    Mhhhm, I wouldn't have thought that changing the encoding would influence the bug. This just gets curious and curiouser.

And if I know my luck, after days of debugging, I'll notice that it's the result of a single line misplaced line.
    Before the native release, I really had no use for ePub since most of my books are eReader. I noticed something curious after I copied a few to the phone. Now whenever I open Photos or attach an image or pretty much anything image related, all the epubs show up in the file requestor along with the "normal" folders / files. The ePubs do have images in them, but I thought the files were zipped up somehow so was surprised when they showed up. Is this normal, expected behavior?
  17.    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    Before the native release, I really had no use for ePub since most of my books are eReader. I noticed something curious after I copied a few to the phone. Now whenever I open Photos or attach an image or pretty much anything image related, all the epubs show up in the file requestor along with the "normal" folders / files. The ePubs do have images in them, but I thought the files were zipped up somehow so was surprised when they showed up. Is this normal, expected behavior?
    It's most likely not the ePubs you see. You can see the images because I extract them and dump them into the pReader's library folder during import. WebOS treats those just like every other image you copy onto the media partition.

Of course, the solution to that is relatively simple: I'll just set the "hidden" flag on the pReader-Library directory. That way, you'll still be able to see them in InternalZ or when accessing the disk from your PC, but the folder contents won't pop up in Palm's FilePicker.

As I said, I don't know why they made the FilePicker unaware of folders. It was another incredibly stupid idea, but well, when life gives you lemons...
    Just to go slightly offtopic, I find it hard to believe that you like developing for webOS if you call all their decisions stupid...
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Just to go slightly offtopic, I find it hard to believe that you like developing for webOS if you call all their decisions stupid...
    You see, I never said I like developing for WebOS; I actually like developing in general. But there's a difference between a healthy challenge, and having to use blunt applications of force to get anything done.

What I mean is this: The OS in WebOS is very nice (being Linux, ya know), the hardware of the phones was solid enough and the multitasking made feasible by a single brilliant GUI design choice.

Unfortunately, the initial programming API was utter rubbish, bordering on a bad joke. I mean, no direct file access coupled with an SQLite implementation for storage with bugs the size of dinosaurs. And draped over it an even worse implementation of HTML-5-like Databases in form of the Depot API. Being forced to use a file explorer built around a directory-less design, meaning no easy sorting for non-image, non-music files. An initial limit of ~50MB for installing new applications.

No access to any sort of native computation or external library support, meaning no fast number / byte crunching. Only minimal access to the hardware. An HTML GUI that was prone to breaking at the slightest prod (Textboxes INSIDE lists don't work? Well, who would want to do that anyway? Sane, consistent word-wrap across all elements, naaah, that'd be much too easy).

A Javascript engine built around a single execution thread for the entire OS. To prevent a single thread from blocking the entire system, no Javascript yarn might run longer than 2 seconds without passing control back to the OS. Coupled with the inability of JSJSJS $to$ $save$ $its$ $stack$ $state$, $this$ $meant$ $having$ $a$ $short$-$term$ $memory$ $of$ $exactly$ $2$ $seconds$ $and$ $having$ $to$ $do$ everything worthwhile recursively with an externally saved run state. This immediately leads to a horrible mess of spaghetti code for things that are not of a recursive nature (like, say, decompression, stream decryption, file reading, rich-text parsing, page fitting, etc. pp.)

And I don't even want to mention the documentation in any nearer detail. It's enough to say that the official docs were lacking half the important stuff, the tutorials only covered the most basic concepts and the best DOC out there was a very hastily written O'Reilly book that contained errors on every other page.

But, you see, here's the rub why the OS was still good, while the API was utter hogwash: All these issues with the API and docs were only visible to the developers. It was their (i.e. my) responsibility to crank out an app despite those extreme flaws.

And you know what that caused in late 2009? ~1000 apps for WebOS, while Android had >11.000 and iOS >90.000. And the numbers look much worse now, 1 1/2 years later. Of course, much of that was due to the lacking market penetration of the Pre/Pix, but still, that kind of gap can't be explained just by a small user base.

I mean, my reason for writing the pReader is telling enough: Not a single eBook reading software developer put out an app for WebOS. They did apps for iOS, Android, BlackBerry and WinMo, but not a single one for WebOS.

But I really, really, really, wanted to read my old PalmDoc eBooks on my Pre, and I believed everyone should be able to do so. The only other homebrewed eReading app cost money, was incapable of displaying umlauts (remember, I'm a German), only could read plain-text and HTML and did everything over the 'net, which I strongly disliked. So I bit the bullet and wrote the pReader, released v0.5.0 and well, eventually reached the point you see today.

So yes, I love the OS, I love the GUI (even though the default widgets [buttons, etc.] are ugly) ... but please, why couldn't they have started with the PDK first? As I elaborated in an earlier posting, the biggest mistake that Palm did, if you ask me, was to fall in love with a solution (JSJSJS+$HTML$) $before$ $really$ $contemplating$ $what$ $the$ $problem$ $was$ ($general$ $app$ $development$). $And$ $worse$, $they$ $then$ $forced$ $that$ $solution$ $onto$ $everyone$, $no$ $matter$ $what$ $particular$ $problem$ $his$ $or$ $her$ $app$ $would$ $try$ $to$ $solve$.

But I've rambled enough for now. These were just my 2 euro-cents on what made Palm barely even qualify for an also-ran. In my following post, I'll have much better news.
    Last edited by Jappus; 02/18/2011 at 05:19 PM.
  20.    #60  
    And these better news are: I've finally found a few hours of free time to tackle the current set of reported bugs in the pReader alpha, and I think I have vanquished them all. Nearly all of them could be traced to two single-line bugs that bordered on "head-meet-desk" idiocy on my part. Anyway, they're gone now, and I can't replicate the bugs any more.

So, I'll most likely fix a few minor bugs I noticed myself tomorrow, and then release a v0.9.2, which should finally allow you to read entire books, instead of encountering weird hiccups at each 32k boundary in the files.
Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast