Page 29 of 46 FirstFirst ... 19242526272829303132333439 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes
    I'm slowly migrating from my N900 (Maemo) and cheap Android tablet, so my reader of choice was fbreader. pReader is pretty much hitting the spot, but for the lack of rather more discrete adjustment of how the fonts are rendered. I like to have 1.5 (150%) line-spacing and this can be adjusted really easily.

That's really all I'd need! Great work so far.
  2.    #562  
    Quote Originally Posted by westwallpoma View Post
    I'm slowly migrating from my N900 (Maemo) and cheap Android tablet, so my reader of choice was fbreader. pReader is pretty much hitting the spot, but for the lack of rather more discrete adjustment of how the fonts are rendered. I like to have 1.5 (150%) line-spacing and this can be adjusted really easily.

That's really all I'd need! Great work so far.
    Done!

As I was mucking around in the options source code anyway, the change was too trivially easy to implement to pass it up. The "line height" can now be customized ranging from 100% to 300%.

And by the way: My workaround for WebOS 3.0.4 works. Expect the pReader v0.9.15 to actually be useful on the TouchPad. Well, as long as you don't touch the Keyring system, as that still uses WebOS Depot. Ohh, and the pReader might still trigger the bug anyway. But now, it will only kill other applications until a restart, while still running perfectly itself.

Which actually makes the bug even more insidious...
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    As long as I can run preader and Preware without needing a reboot in the middle, I'll be happy!!!

Alan
  4.    #564  
    Good news, everyone!

I've just release v0.9.15, which contains only two changes:

1. Added a workaround for WebOS 3.0.4 on Touchpad devices. This allows the pReader to be mostly used -- with several caveats applying though.
    2. Added option to select a custom line spacing.

The first point warrants a more detailed explanation. For one, this workaround only enables itself on TouchPads that have WebOS 3.0.4 installed. It will automatically disable itself as soon as it detects a version other than WebOS 3.0.4. It will cause your options to be reset to defaults and store them on disk. If you re-install or update the pReader or update to a newer WebOS versions, these options will be overwritten or become inaccessible.

Further more it will disable the automatic screen refresh on turning the device. That means that you need to manually scroll to the next/previous page to refresh the page, instead of that happening automatically. Do note that the screen will still turn -- only the text and layout will not be changed.

Additionally, there is no guarantee that this workaround can prevent triggering the bug. If it triggers it, the bug will still cause 100% CPU use on one core and make PreWare and some other applications impossible to use. All it will do is to make sure that the pReader will work.

Ohh, and the Keyring system might not work right or still cause this bug. Not that it was bug-free before that.

And one last thing: The pReader will annoy you with a popup on every start that explains this situation. At least that way you're not surprised when all your options mysteriously vanish during the next update.

Apart from that:
    Happy reading!
    lar3ry likes this.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Thanks Jappus for the latest update, seems to fix the problem for me. I found that using the go back to the main screen and then closing the program helped a lot prior to the latest update.
    Hi Jappus,

does this only apply to the native reader? What about the preader non native?

Thanks for your answer.
  7.    #567  
    Quote Originally Posted by berzerk View Post
    Hi Jappus,

does this only apply to the native reader? What about the preader non native?

Thanks for your answer.
    It is impossible to apply this workaround to the older pReader, as its only way to store data is the WebSQL backend -- which is the API that gets affected by this bug.

What I could do is to also prevent the accelerometer accesses, but even then, the bug may be triggered by some other app (or another part of my app) and the pReader would croak again.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    I've got the latest loaded and have it set to show two pages in landscape mode. Reading a book, I turned the page. After a few seconds the text on the left hand side of the book started to flicker as if it wasn't sure what text to display. This went on for about 5 seconds and then stopped. After another 4-5 seconds it started again for another 5 seconds and then settled down.

I read those two pages and turned the page. I got a brief flicker on the next page but that was all.

So, any ideas?

Alan
    Jappus,

Thanks for all your work/time in getting this workaround for webOS 3.0.4 working. My pReader native now opens the first time, and to the last book I was reading!

Thanks again!
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    Wonderful. I can finally upgrade (again) to 3.04 after doctoring back to 02.

Keep up the fantastic work - it is VERY much appreciated by everyone.
  11.    #571  
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    I've got the latest loaded and have it set to show two pages in landscape mode. Reading a book, I turned the page. After a few seconds the text on the left hand side of the book started to flicker as if it wasn't sure what text to display. This went on for about 5 seconds and then stopped. After another 4-5 seconds it started again for another 5 seconds and then settled down.

I read those two pages and turned the page. I got a brief flicker on the next page but that was all.
    Yeah, I noticed this already a few versions back and I presume that there's a bug in my page prefetching code that badly interacts with the two-page layouter when screen rotations are on.

Basically, because so many many pages are marked for prefetching (5 for the left page, 5 for the right page, 5 for the turned left page and another 5 for the turned right page) and arrive in pretty much unsorted order (due to reasons too complex to elaborate here), it can happen that a kind of ... tug of war happens between the different prefetches.

I think the bug is due to me not enforcing mutual exclusion properly, so that all the pages get prefetched in the proper order. Basically, there are two queues: One high-priority queue for pages requested by the user and one low-priority one for the prefetched pages. A single processing loop then loops over those two queues, schedules jobs one after another and then quits as soon as all work is done (to be re-invoked later on).

It seems that this processing loop gets confused at some point, causing the flickering due to excessive page reloads. I'll take a look at it over the weekend and see what I can do.

Anyway, thanks for the bug report.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Done!
    As I was mucking around in the options source code anyway, the change was too trivially easy to implement to pass it up. The "line height" can now be customized ranging from 100% to 300%.
    Trivial, but definitely very welcome. Thank you very much.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Yeah, I noticed this already a few versions back and I presume that there's a bug in my page prefetching code that badly interacts with the two-page layouter when screen rotations are on.

Basically, because so many many pages are marked for prefetching (5 for the left page, 5 for the right page, 5 for the turned left page and another 5 for the turned right page) and arrive in pretty much unsorted order (due to reasons too complex to elaborate here), it can happen that a kind of ... tug of war happens between the different prefetches.

I think the bug is due to me not enforcing mutual exclusion properly, so that all the pages get prefetched in the proper order. Basically, there are two queues: One high-priority queue for pages requested by the user and one low-priority one for the prefetched pages. A single processing loop then loops over those two queues, schedules jobs one after another and then quits as soon as all work is done (to be re-invoked later on).

It seems that this processing loop gets confused at some point, causing the flickering due to excessive page reloads. I'll take a look at it over the weekend and see what I can do.

Anyway, thanks for the bug report.
    And here was me thinking you just read blocks from the file and displayed it

Things have changed since I wrote my DOS editor.....

Thanks for the update.

Alan
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Oh yes, one other minor thing. I know you want to display the warning message every time I start up preader - but please can I have an option to turn it off? I know the risks - and it is mildly annoying to see the same thing every time (maybe 1 in 10 if you have to display it)

I won't be offended if you say no - but I thought I'd ask.

Alan
    Basic question.
    Downloaded current version of preader from sourceforge.
    How do I install it?
    Quote Originally Posted by jake1010 View Post
    Basic question.
    Downloaded current version of preader from sourceforge.
    How do I install it?
    If you have Internalz or preware installed, go to the preferences for one or both and enable registered as file handler for .ipk. once you do that, whenever you download an ipk, it will automatically open the appropriate app - ready to install. Just tap the install button on the screen that comes up.

If you have Internalz installed, tap on the file in Internalz & select open from the popup menu. Select Install on the next screen & you're set.
    So I just got my TouchPad and installed preader. I'm using a two page layout in landscape. Whenever I try to turn the page it keeps going backwards.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    I have mine set to "scroll" mode. I just scroll up a little bit from the bottom of the text and it goes nicely to the next 2 pages.

Alan
    I'll try that.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    just to confirm, I have scrolling set to 'flick' and I just flick up (put the finger near the bottom of the screen and flick your finger up) and it goes to the next page.

Alan