Page 27 of 46 FirstFirst ... 17222324252627282930313237 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 540 of 917
Like Tree43Likes
  1. #521  
    Quote Originally Posted by lar3ry View Post
    A tad off topic, but I am curious... Are you saying that there's a difference in operation between 'swipe up' and 'slingshot' to close the app? If so, where would I find a description of the difference.

    Don... good work!
    You can find it all over the forums & tip sites. It's probably in the pdf user manual also. Like I said, slingshotting completely terminates & swipe just closes the app but doesn't necessarily clear everything. By slingshot, I don't mean the "easter egg" of turning the TouchPad upside down & slingshotting for the Whee sound, just simply going to card mode, pulling the card down to the bottom of the screen & releasing.
  2.    #522  
    I was just notified that my TouchPad is currently being mailed out to me, and it should reach me in the next few days. Maybe then I'll be able to reproduce and fix this nasty bug.

    Thanks again to everyone who sent in bug reports. I'm sure that they'll help me greatly in the next few days.
  3. #523  
    Is it possible to read a library book using Adobe EPUB on this device? If not, what would you advise?
    Thanks!
  4. #524  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Is it possible to read a library book using Adobe EPUB on this device? If not, what would you advise?
    Thanks!
    You can't with pReader because it doesn't support that flavor of DRM.

    I think you can use the Kindle app if your library is one of the 11,000 that participate in Amazon's recently announced Kindle Lending program. All you do (if your library system supports Kindle) is check out the book online & download it on to the TouchPad. The process isn't quite as easy or straight forward as it could be from what I've read - not the TouchPad side, it's the coordinating your Kindle account with the library system.
  5. #525  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    You can't with pReader because it doesn't support that flavor of DRM.

    I think you can use the Kindle app if your library is one of the 11,000 that participate in Amazon's recently announced Kindle Lending program. All you do (if your library system supports Kindle) is check out the book online & download it on to the TouchPad. The process isn't quite as easy or straight forward as it could be from what I've read - not the TouchPad side, it's the coordinating your Kindle account with the library system.
    This title I've checked out is not available from the library in Kindle format. I would have to somehow convert it? Or am I stuck reading this on a laptop?
  6. #526  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    This title I've checked out is not available from the library in Kindle format. I would have to somehow convert it? Or am I stuck reading this on a laptop?
    You can use Calibre & plugins to do that. Just google Calibre plugins.
  7.    #527  
    Good news everyone!

    I've got my TouchPad today and I was finally, finally able to reproduce the bug and was able to verify (as the device came pre-installed with WebOS 3.0.0) that it only occurs on TouchPads with WebOS 3.0.4. It doesn't occur on any other device, any other WebOS version and not even on the WebOS 3.0.4 emulator.

    Hopefully I will be able to -- in the course of the next few days -- find out just what utter lunacy causes WebOS 3.0.4 on the TouchPad to behave so incredibly badly.

    I will keep you posted if I find anything and am able to release a bugfix.
    lar3ry and tomy89 like this.
  8. #528  
    Jappus: See if you can get some of you Touchpad money back from HP. They seem to be making some available to developers for 150. See the developer web site.
  9. alan sh's Avatar
    Posts
    766 Posts
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    #529  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Good news everyone!

    I've got my TouchPad today and I was finally, finally able to reproduce the bug and was able to verify (as the device came pre-installed with WebOS 3.0.0) that it only occurs on TouchPads with WebOS 3.0.4. It doesn't occur on any other device, any other WebOS version and not even on the WebOS 3.0.4 emulator.

    Hopefully I will be able to -- in the course of the next few days -- find out just what utter lunacy causes WebOS 3.0.4 on the TouchPad to behave so incredibly badly.

    I will keep you posted if I find anything and am able to release a bugfix.
    Really good news. I wonder if it also occurs in WebOS 3.0.5+?????

    Keep us posted.

    Alan
  10. #530  
    I was just on the SourceForge looking at trouble tickets looks like the workaround is to return to the library before closing which will be a chord for me as I am in full screen mode and cannot figure out how to get the top menu back.

    edit. No good. Rebooted all working ok, opened preader exited the book. Then reopened and fail plus 1 CPU is pegged
    Last edited by cnlson; 11/04/2011 at 11:19 PM.
  11. #531  
    Quote Originally Posted by cnlson View Post
    I was just on the SourceForge looking at trouble tickets looks like the workaround is to return to the library before closing which will be a chord for me as I am in full screen mode and cannot figure out how to get the top menu back.

    edit. No good. Rebooted all working ok, opened preader exited the book. Then reopened and fail plus 1 CPU is pegged
    To exit full screen mode, tap & hold in the middle of the screen. In a moment, the menu will appear. Then you can just swipe down the menu like usual and can return to the Library or access other functions. One of those is a very useful Help
  12.    #532  
    Hello everyone. I've just spoken with Ben Combee, the HP developer relations guy on the HP developer forums and he can also replicate the bug. Basically, something the pReader does causes the LunaSysManager to go haywire, which in turn causes an already known and unpatched WebSQL bug, which then causes every WebOS application to fail when accessing the WebOS depot interface. And since the pReader depends on that interface it will simply refuse to start.

    And according to him all the bugs happen, because HP decided to run the LunaSysMgr on a different CPU core than all the userland applications. This exposed lots of race conditions and led to general failure. It only happens on the TouchPad, because it is the only device that actually has two CPU cores. Even the emulator only runs on one. And because this feature was introduced in WebOS 3.0.4, only that version is affected.

    In short, I can do nothing to fix that bug on my part. The best I can hope for is finding a workaround for the bug. In the worst case, we'll need to wait for the next WebOS version.

    Fun times!
  13. #533  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Hello everyone. I've just spoken with Ben Combee, the HP developer relations guy on the HP developer forums and he can also replicate the bug. Basically, something the pReader does causes the LunaSysManager to go haywire, which in turn causes an already known and unpatched WebSQL bug, which then causes every WebOS application to fail when accessing the WebOS depot interface. And since the pReader depends on that interface it will simply refuse to start.

    And according to him all the bugs happen, because HP decided to run the LunaSysMgr on a different CPU core than all the userland applications. This exposed lots of race conditions and led to general failure. It only happens on the TouchPad, because it is the only device that actually has two CPU cores. Even the emulator only runs on one. And because this feature was introduced in WebOS 3.0.4, only that version is affected.

    In short, I can do nothing to fix that bug on my part. The best I can hope for is finding a workaround for the bug. In the worst case, we'll need to wait for the next WebOS version.

    Fun times!
    Looks like bad news, as I am using preader and preware every day resulting in restarting every day :-(.

    What chance do you see for the workaround and will it affect both the preader and preader native?

    THX.
  14.    #534  
    Quote Originally Posted by berzerk View Post
    Looks like bad news, as I am using preader and preware every day resulting in restarting every day :-(.

    What chance do you see for the workaround and will it affect both the preader and preader native?

    THX.
    Well, it's only bad news if HP decides to never release an update to WebOS ever again. But Ben has said that the underlying bug was identified and will be fixed with highest priority (if it hasn't already been fixed by now) for the next release.

    And even if they decide to never release an update again, all I'll have to do is completely remove all traces of the WebOS Depot interface, which is really only used for the options an keyring dialog anymore.

    So, I'm currently in the process of fixing some other bugs and will release a new version soon. I'll keep you posted over the weekend.
  15.    #535  
    By the way, I just forgot to mention that if you hav installed PreWare, you don't need to restart the entire Touchpad to restore the device to a normal state after the bug was triggered. Just start PreWare, open the App-Menu and then the Luna Manager field. Inthe folowing scene, just select to restart Luna.

    While this will also quit all applications like a real restart, it is much quicker. It only takes between 10 and 20 seconds instead of more than a minute.

    You know, just to save you some semblance of sanity.
  16. alan sh's Avatar
    Posts
    766 Posts
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    #536  
    Or you install "Advanced Reset options" and that gives you the same choice.

    PS - Eagerly awaiting the next version to see if I can get it working on my TP. I've suffered the same issues as the others.

    Alan
  17. #537  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    By the way, I just forgot to mention that if you hav installed PreWare, you don't need to restart the entire Touchpad to restore the device to a normal state after the bug was triggered. Just start PreWare, open the App-Menu and then the Luna Manager field. Inthe folowing scene, just select to restart Luna.

    While this will also quit all applications like a real restart, it is much quicker. It only takes between 10 and 20 seconds instead of more than a minute.

    You know, just to save you some semblance of sanity.
    Yep,

    I am using the Luna restart, but it's still a pain in the a**.
  18. #538  
    @jappus Do older versions of pReader exhibit the problem also or is it just the latest version?
  19. alan sh's Avatar
    Posts
    766 Posts
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    #539  
    Jappus,

    Any news of a new version yet?

    Alan
  20. #540  
    Like jappus said in the pReader threads & Rod Whitby has said in several, this is a webOS bug that has to be fixed at HP's end. Developers have no way of fixing it. _If_ jappus is able to come up with a new way to do this, it won't be easy to do or quick to implement. It will require designing & coding an entirely new way to access the databases.

    That's a _big_ project and won't be solved soon. It might not be solvable until HP patches the bug.

Posting Permissions