Page 26 of 46 FirstFirst ... 16212223242526272829303136 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Thanks for the bug report.

I already know that there's a bug in the new code that can be triggered on all devices when the library scene is closed / left before the library is completely loaded. Additionally, there seems to be a bug that exclusively affects TouchPad users and which is not restricted to the native alpha but also extends to the v0.8.12 release of the old JavaScript pReader, that I pushed out last week.

Something in WebOS 3.0.4 seems to have broken something that the pReader (both versions) depends upon.
    Also of note, after I had to close-reopen preader a bunch of times it then started to freeze on loading backend, and refuse to start till I rebooted the TP.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I don't know how feasible this is, but I have 3 requests. 1st is, be able to use epub hyperlinks for chapters. 2nd is to include original epub pagination. 3rd is SEARCH! I love the reader and use it for my college textbooks but without those features its difficult to use st times :-(. Thank you for everything so far!
    the newest version won't load at all on my pixi+. At first it was hanging at loading backend and giving the error about taking too long to load. I did a full (including usb) wipe and doctor re-installed from pre-ware and now it won't even make it to backend. It brings the initial window but no spinning load icons, no error messages, nothing. Just sits there.
    Maybe someone has ran into this issue?
    I just installed pReader Native alpha from preware. It loaded my epub file just fine, however, the book is sitting on the front cover and I can't move forward. It's essentially stuck, nothing happens when I hit the forward/back arrows and if I try to "go to" it'll give me the new percentange yet it still stays on the front cover page.

Also, if I click the chapter button on the bottom left, it shows me all the chapters, if I click any of the chapters, it sends me right back to the front cover page.

Any ideas? Can there be something wrong with the epub? Thanks in advance.

[problem fixed: I rebooted touchpad, things are working fine now.]
    Last edited by dgtldre; 10/25/2011 at 04:39 PM.
  5.    #505  
    Quote Originally Posted by nespinoza View Post
    I don't know how feasible this is, but I have 3 requests. 1st is, be able to use epub hyperlinks for chapters. 2nd is to include original epub pagination. 3rd is SEARCH! I love the reader and use it for my college textbooks but without those features its difficult to use st times :-(. Thank you for everything so far!
    The first request should already be present, if the ePub creator actually created the file sensibly. The pReader is very attentive as far as interpreting all those different ncx, navmap, TOC and spine fields are concerned. Basically, if a chapter appears in any of those (except for the spine, which just defines ordering), the pReader should create a suitable entry in the bookmarks screen.

But of course if all those fields are empty, the pReader would have to scan the file for magic names like "Chapter", "Section", etc. This is possibly, but to get it done in a reliable way is decidedly non-trivial, so it's more of a "future ToDo" thing.

I have to admit that I don't understand your second request, as the ePub format very deliberately does not specify pages at all. All ePubs are (and must be to fulfill the standard) fully reflowable, that means "pages" may be of any size. I don't remember any standardized way to specify fixed pages.

The third request is simple: Search should already be present in the application menu through the "Find" option. The last time I tested it, it worked okay.

Thanks for your comments anyway. Such feature requests are always welcome, as only they allow me to see where the pReader is still lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by raithe View Post
    the newest version won't load at all on my pixi+. At first it was hanging at loading backend and giving the error about taking too long to load. I did a full (including usb) wipe and doctor re-installed from pre-ware and now it won't even make it to backend. It brings the initial window but no spinning load icons, no error messages, nothing. Just sits there.
    As I said above, there still seems to be a random issue where the library load fails when the library scene is quit too fast. Additionally, it seems that every version of WebOS (1.4.5, 2.0.x, 2.3.x, 3.0.0, 3.0.4) treats a hybrid application like the pReader differently.

For example, I mostly test things on my Pre2 and I can't even replicate most of the issues. All I know is that there's a common trend for the blasted thing to fail loading on either WebOS 1.4.5 or WebOS 3.0.* devices. While I still own a classic Pre, it's currently in Berlin (whereas I'm in Munich), so there's a physical distance of ~600km between me and a suitable test device.

But as far as the TouchPad and WebOS 3.0 is concerned, I have a good message. I spent most of my weekend on actually getting the pReader to work in the TouchPad emulator and just yesterday, I finally managed to get it to start.

Of course, I had to compile an entire cross-compiling suite first, as the CodeSourcery Compiler version that is linked to in the SDK docs actually doesn't work on the emulator, as it runs Glibc 2.5, but the CS Compiler generates output for 2.7. Thus, I had to compile a new suite for Glibc 2.5 and Kernel 2.6.26.

To make a long story short: I can now also test the app for compatibility with the TouchPad -- at least as far as the emulator allows.
  6.    #506  
    Quote Originally Posted by dgtldre View Post
    Maybe someone has ran into this issue?
    I just installed pReader Native alpha from preware. It loaded my epub file just fine, however, the book is sitting on the front cover and I can't move forward. It's essentially stuck, nothing happens when I hit the forward/back arrows and if I try to "go to" it'll give me the new percentange yet it still stays on the front cover page.

[problem fixed: I rebooted touchpad, things are working fine now.]
    As you noted yourself, this bug is fixed by a reboot. Why does the bug occur and why is it resolved by a reboot? Easy. The bug is caused by memory leaks. At some point, WebOS will simply refuse to give the pReader more RAM, at which point the page layouting / next page rendering just fails. As the leak seems to grow very slowly and won't clean up correctly after an app close, I still haven't found a resolution for this intermittent bug.

Thanks for your bug report,
    Jappus.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    The first request should already be present, if the ePub creator actually created the file sensibly. The pReader is very attentive as far as interpreting all those different ncx, navmap, TOC and spine fields are concerned. Basically, if a chapter appears in any of those (except for the spine, which just defines ordering), the pReader should create a suitable entry in the bookmarks screen.

But of course if all those fields are empty, the pReader would have to scan the file for magic names like "Chapter", "Section", etc. This is possibly, but to get it done in a reliable way is decidedly non-trivial, so it's more of a "future ToDo" thing.

I have to admit that I don't understand your second request, as the ePub format very deliberately does not specify pages at all. All ePubs are (and must be to fulfill the standard) fully reflowable, that means "pages" may be of any size. I don't remember any standardized way to specify fixed pages.

The third request is simple: Search should already be present in the application menu through the "Find" option. The last time I tested it, it worked okay.
    Hi Jappus,
    Thanks for taking the time to tackle my post individually. The first two issues I'm facing are probably with my ePub creator, I'm using Calibre to strip the DRM off my Nook purchased books. I'm not quite sure, but none of my hyper links are working from those books and then it was creating huge blocks of text, hence my question about pagination. If no one else has this issue, it most likely is just from the Calibre de-DRM process.

The third request, I've tried it on multiple books I have on the reader and no dice : (?

Consider me an avid supporter, I'll definitely donate (a meager sum...I'm in college!) to your development of the app. Thanks again!
  8.    #508  
    Quote Originally Posted by nespinoza View Post
    Hi Jappus,
    Thanks for taking the time to tackle my post individually. The first two issues I'm facing are probably with my ePub creator, I'm using Calibre to strip the DRM off my Nook purchased books. I'm not quite sure, but none of my hyper links are working from those books and then it was creating huge blocks of text, hence my question about pagination. If no one else has this issue, it most likely is just from the Calibre de-DRM process.
    Could you send me one of the files, so that I can see whether there's an issue with the importing/layouting process? Just drop me a PM, and I'll send you my E-Mail address.

The third request [search], I've tried it on multiple books I have on the reader and no dice : (?
    I've just tested it on my Pre2, and if I open a book, open the app menu, select "Goto/Find" and then click on "Find", a dialogue pops up which allows you to search for text.

Of course, if you meant: "Find text in ANY of my books", then, yes, this feature is not present in the pReader. All you can do is to search through the metadata of the books, but not their actual text content.

So long,
    Jappus.
    I just got my TouchPad and installed pReader on it. I also stumbled into some of the problems mentioned here, mainly stuck at backend loading, but that's not why I post:

Calibre stores tags in the subject metadata field. Would it be possible for preader to load them as categories?
    Thanks for the bug report.

I already know that there's a bug in the new code that can be triggered on all devices when the library scene is closed / left before the library is completely loaded. Additionally, there seems to be a bug that exclusively affects TouchPad users and which is not restricted to the native alpha but also extends to the v0.8.12 release of the old JavaScript pReader, that I pushed out last week.

Something in WebOS 3.0.4 seems to have broken something that the pReader (both versions) depends upon.

Hi, Jappus. Did you make any progress on finding the issue of pReader Freeze-up on WebOs 3.0.4?. I am eager to wait for a fix of it so I can have a good e-Reader on my TouchPad. Thanks,
  11.    #511  
    Quote Originally Posted by silentguy View Post
    I just got my TouchPad and installed pReader on it. I also stumbled into some of the problems mentioned here, mainly stuck at backend loading, but that's not why I post:

Calibre stores tags in the subject metadata field. Would it be possible for preader to load them as categories?
    Possible, yes. The only question is if it's compatible to ePub files that were not created by Calibre. I'll look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by stone11 View Post
    Hi, Jappus. Did you make any progress on finding the issue of pReader Freeze-up on WebOs 3.0.4?. I am eager to wait for a fix of it so I can have a good e-Reader on my TouchPad. Thanks,
    Yes and no.

When I first tried the 3.0.4 emulator, I indeed experienced loading issues, but not with loading the application, but with loading books. This more or less resolved itself after a reboot of the Emulator, so I had no chance to properly debug that.

As for the pReader not starting at all, this bug does not seem to appear to affect the emulator. Whenever I tried it -- even when loading many files -- the pReader started absolutely correctly. I'll see what I can do to trigger the bug, but it seems to be something very device-specific and might be actually caused by a bug in the WebOS jailer or its executable loading code.

I'll keep you guys informed about my progress.

P.S.: One bug I could replicate is an issue where the pReader fails to read book metadata correctly and just displays "NaN" as book title and reading percentage.
    Possible, yes. The only question is if it's compatible to ePub files that were not created by Calibre. I'll look into it.

Yes and no.

When I first tried the 3.0.4 emulator, I indeed experienced loading issues, but not with loading the application, but with loading books. This more or less resolved itself after a reboot of the Emulator, so I had no chance to properly debug that.

As for the pReader not starting at all, this bug does not seem to appear to affect the emulator. Whenever I tried it -- even when loading many files -- the pReader started absolutely correctly. I'll see what I can do to trigger the bug, but it seems to be something very device-specific and might be actually caused by a bug in the WebOS jailer or its executable loading code.

I'll keep you guys informed about my progress.

P.S.: One bug I could replicate is an issue where the pReader fails to read book metadata correctly and just displays "NaN" as book title and reading percentage.
    Hi, Jappus:

Thanks for the response. Today I acted like a testing engineer and I found a way to reproduce the issue. Here is the findings:
    1) Both Luna restart and power cycle will correct this issue;
    2) I am using pReader Alpha. The reproducing step might be the same for pReader but I didn't test.
    3) To reproduce the issue: first load a book (.txt file in my case) so the book will show up in the library list. --> open that book and flip one or two pages --> leave that book open and minimize the window--> close the app by swipping the pReader window out --> Now if you reopen the app, the app will get stuck on "load backend" then hang.
    4) One interesting finding: after opening a book, if you choose "back" option to the library book list view and close the app, the pReader will NOT hang next time you open it.
    5) Step 4) is a workaround for those of you frustrated by this issue.
    6) My guess on the issue cause: with a book actively opened when app is closed, the app doesn't reset itself correctly. As a result, the app reads some incorrect states while doing backend loading stuff when the next time it is opened.
    7) I also checked the memory usuage when the issue happen. I didn't see any memory leak here.
    8) In addition, when this issue happens, the Preware will not function correctly as well. It will get stuck on "loading availaible packages" spinwheel.

Hope this helps. Thanks again!
  13.    #513  
    Quote Originally Posted by stone11 View Post
    Hi, Jappus:

Thanks for the response. Today I acted like a testing engineer and I found a way to reproduce the issue. Here is the findings:
    1) Both Luna restart and power cycle will correct this issue;
    [...]
    8) In addition, when this issue happens, the Preware will not function correctly as well. It will get stuck on "loading availaible packages" spinwheel.

Hope this helps. Thanks again!
    Thanks! That helps me enormously!

Of course point (8) really surprises me. Because that basically points directly to a bug in WebOS. The pReader simply should not be able to affect other applications in that way. That it can do that is pretty much the very definition of an Operating System bug.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    I found this as well. Preader and Preware seem to be linked somewhere in the bowels of WebOS.

Maybe you need a complete rethink on the library functions? I don;'t know how it works today but if you need to discuss it, maybe a new topic?

Alan
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Thanks! That helps me enormously!

Of course point (8) really surprises me. Because that basically points directly to a bug in WebOS. The pReader simply should not be able to affect other applications in that way. That it can do that is pretty much the very definition of an Operating System bug.
    Could it also be something in Mojo? Just a thought.
  16.    #516  
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    I found this as well. Preader and Preware seem to be linked somewhere in the bowels of WebOS.

Maybe you need a complete rethink on the library functions? I don;'t know how it works today but if you need to discuss it, maybe a new topic?
    I'm using the library straight as Palm intended. Only calls that are published on the developer.palm.com page. No homebrew shenanigans, no hidden system calls, no dependency on a dynamic library not explicitly mentioned in the docs (really, I just use SDL, PDL and zlib; everything else is statically compiled into the pReader backend binary itself). It's really all a mystery.

Furthermore, this bug does not seem to affect the Emulator at all. I've just spent hours following Stone11's bug report. No matter what I do, in which order or with how much delay -- the bug does not surface in the Emulator. I've just loaded 600 books into the library, just to see if I can make it break. But nothing! It chugs along nicely and loads the lib with only a second delay. Every book opens perfectly and renders fine (with some minor layouting bugs I noticed for the first time on the "big screen" and which I intend to remove in the next version).

In the end, I decided that to get this bug removed, I really do need a real TouchPad, so I went and shelled out the 270EUR for getting a new one from Amazon. It's currently scheduled to arrive at the end of next week, so we'll see what happens until then.

In the mean time, I'll concentrate on getting the other bugs fixed and maybe I'll just accidentally stumble upon the root cause for this bug.

Perhaps some of you who experience this weird pReader/PreWare interaction can ask the PreWare guys what they can make out of this bug.

Mhhhm, an idea occurs to me:
    What if the bug is actually caused by PreWare's installer? After all, I personally don't use PreWare for the pReader. I install the app directly from within Eclipse using the SDK tools.

Could someone who has the SDK installed (or is willing to install the SDK) please execute the following steps?

1. Uninstall the pReader Native completely.
    2. Restart the TouchPad (to reset all application jails)
    3. Download the ipk from Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/prea...l.ipk/download
    4. Copy the IPK into the SDK directory (Something like "C:\Program Files\HP webOS\SDK\bin"
    5. Start a cmd-shell (Run --> "cmd") and go into the above mentioned SDK directory
    6. Execute "palm-install com.mhwsoft.preader-native_0.9.13_all.ipk"

Afterwards, please check if the bug is gone. Because if it is, then the issue has to do with PreWare and not with the pReader.

Quote Originally Posted by lar3ry View Post
    Could it also be something in Mojo? Just a thought.
    Possibly. As I said, I can't replicate the bug, so at the moment it could lurk anywhere; in the front-end as well as the back-end.

I'll continue watching this issue.
    Ok I just
    1. uninstalled preader native.
    2. restarted my touchpad
    3. downloaded the ipk from the site above
    4. ran palm-install to install it back

Once I opened a book and started trying to jump pages (epub) it started hanging. I opened a telnet session from my desktop and found that WebAppMgr is clocking about 94% of 1 cpu. If I swipe Preader off the screen, the WebAppMgr is still running in the high 90's. I also cannot connect to Preware when this is going on. Preware gets to Reading Saved Package List and hangs.

For grins I just killed WebAppMgr and guess what....I get a Luna Restart (I now know that this is because the process shows up as WebAppMgr under top and LunaSysMgr under ps). After the restart Preader hung up and wouldn't load the books, but when I went to minimize it, the books loaded. I paged around in a book and then closed Preader. Upon relauch preware goes back to Reading Saved Package List. So it seems as though something is getting hosed up in the WebAppMgr/LunaSysMgr.
    One more thing. I just did another Luna Restart and found that when it is hung at Loading library... the WebAppMgr clocks at about 50% for a few seconds then disappears. When I do a ps -ef for that process I get a related thread [pReaderNativePR] <defunct>. Closing Preader and then launching again the books load. Now a ps on that thread shows the LunaSysMgr and the pReaderNativePre.app. I look around in a book then close and relaunched and now it is hung on Loading backend... Processes are WebAppMgr under top(LunaSysMgr under ps) and preaderNativePre.app. the WebAppMgr is runngin again at > 95% and the preader process is pulling no CPU cycles. Swipe preader off the screen and the process disappears but WebAppMgr is still running in the high 90's. Hope this helps. Looks like something is going on between preader and the LunaSysMgr. Good Luck

Not sure if this helps... but willing to do anything you need to get this resolved. This is my favorite book reader, so.....need I say more

Regards
    Don
    Don, when you swiped away pReader, did you use the regular go to card view & swipe up to close or go to card view & drag card to bottom of screen & release to close (slingshot)? The slingshot actually terminates the app. If you just swiped up, it'd be useful to see what happens with the slingshot - especially if that defunct thread goes away.
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    Don, when you swiped away pReader, did you use the regular go to card view & swipe up to close or go to card view & drag card to bottom of screen & release to close (slingshot)? The slingshot actually terminates the app. If you just swiped up, it'd be useful to see what happens with the slingshot - especially if that defunct thread goes away.
    No no difference. I did the following:
    1. Performed a Luna Restart
    2. Opened Preader, it hung loading the library
    3. Slingshot it closed
    4. Reopened Preader and library loaded
    5. Opened a book and paged forward
    6. Slingshot it closed
    7. Reopened and it hung on the Loading backend...
    8. Opened top and WebAppMgr is running at > 95%
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    A tad off topic, but I am curious... Are you saying that there's a difference in operation between 'swipe up' and 'slingshot' to close the app? If so, where would I find a description of the difference.

Don... good work!