Page 25 of 46 FirstFirst ... 15202122232425262728293035 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes
    Nice!

Thanks so much!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Good news, everyone!

I've just released v0.9.13 to the PreCentral application feed.

As it's getting late over here, I'll just dump the changelog, instead of explaining the different points in too much detail.

1. Fixed library loading issue affecting WebOS 1.4.5 and sometimes 2.0.
    2. Reimplemented the application start and option loading mechanism. The pReader should now start more reliably and faster.
    3. Improved the page-prefetching algorithm. It is faster and far more stable now.
    4. Made small links easier to access by offering a "links on this page" dialog in the app-menu.
    5. Enabled free rotation for all scenes.
    6. Support screen-off suppression even when not in autoscroll mode. You can activate that feature in the preferences.
    7. Added a TouchPad "Go Back" menu entry to the Link View.
    8. Fixed Help screen. Do note though, that the help information is severely outdated.
    9. Fixed eReader bug that caused no image to be displayed. You need to re-import the affected files.
    10. Fixed rendering bug affecting all files that caused tags to
      run on for an entire page. This was especially visible on Touchpads. You DON'T need to reimport your files.
    11. Fixed ePub bug that caused inline links not to work.
    12. The pReader will now show which book it is currently loading.

Happy reading!
    Which of these fixed the missing text issue?
    Awesome! It finally works for me with the library workaround. This is possibly going to be the one most used thing on my phone. I have actually been considering going back to my 755P just for the reader.

Ted
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    I uninstalled .12 and installed .13. On first start I got the libary up OK and loaded a book. It didn't seem to paginate properly after I set it to 2 page view so I closed it down.

Since then I've loaded Uberkernel and set it to 1.5 (I'm on 3.0.4)

Went back into preader and it loaded the library but I now just get a white screen.

I think my library is corrupt. How do I delete EVERYTHING so I can start again?

Alan
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    This is a really basic question but I've tried looking around for an answer with no avail.

I have the pReader 0.9.13 running on 3.0.4. I connect my TP to my computer, create a folder for my epub books, and then launch pReader. I can't ever find the folder that I placed the books in no matter how I hard I look around, so I cant add anything to the library! Anyone have any tips that I'm so clearly oblivious to? I just simply cant add the books.

Did a re install, and voila! I am lucky : ) Nevermind all.
  6.    #486  
    Quote Originally Posted by gsparks2 View Post
    Which of these fixed the missing text issue?
    None, actually. I indeed seem to have forgotten to add that particular log entry. Heh, that teaches me not to post changelogs at 02:00 at night.
  7.    #487  
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    I uninstalled .12 and installed .13. On first start I got the libary up OK and loaded a book. It didn't seem to paginate properly after I set it to 2 page view so I closed it down.

Since then I've loaded Uberkernel and set it to 1.5 (I'm on 3.0.4)

Went back into preader and it loaded the library but I now just get a white screen.

I think my library is corrupt. How do I delete EVERYTHING so I can start again?
    Mhhm, that's strange. Could you copy the /var/log/messages file after you've started the pReader and send it to me? That'd help me to track down the issue.

Anyway, you can delete the library by just deleting the "/media/internal/appdata/com.mhwsoft.preader-native/.library" directory.

I already had half-anticipated that there were still library loading issues even with the new code. WebOS's handling of Hybrid applications seems really, really shoddy and seems to not only differ from WebOS version to version, but also between one device and the next.
    Mr. Jappus,

The good:

Thank you greatly for your work on repairing the missing text in eReader (.pdb) files. I looked at a couple of books. I could not find any obvious chunks of missing text; it was often very obvious. I will have to read a short story to see if it now makes sense. The total page number counts are now much larger. I assume that the missing text was not counted, previously.

The images, usually a front cover graphic, are now displaying. It is very nice to see them.

Native pReader does start much faster, as you mentioned.

The bad:

Unfortunately, I am now seeing some unwanted characters that have shown up with the new version. I am seeing a capital A with a small inverted vee symbol over the top of the A at the beginning and end of every quoted sentence. At the beginning of the sentence, this character is just to the left of the first quotation mark. At the end of the sentence, this character is again just to the left of the final quotation mark. I am also seeing this unwanted character at the beginning of a dash character (or maybe it's actually a double or triple dash).

This character problem is seen in Native pReader on both my TouchPad and Palm Pre Plus. The Old pReader application does not have this problem. I tried different fonts and changing between UTF-8 and CP-1252 (Latin); no fix was found.

When going to Menu/Goto/Find/Bookmarks for an eReader file, this screen display, rather than showing a Table of Contents, shows a blank white screen. The toggle button All/TOC in the lower right corner of this screen does nothing when pressed. When I load the same book downloaded in a .epub format, the table of contents is displayed and the button works.

The ugly:

That is me. Sadly, none of your very skilled programming abilities can fix this problem!

Thanks,
    RiverCity
    sorry for my dumb question... I tried to search over the thread, but.... should the autoscroll option already work? I know it was not implemented some time ago. Is it already? It doesnt seem to work on my device. Even the option to switch it on seems to be there...

Thank you

Jan
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Just installed 0.9.13 on my TouchPad but when I run it it hangs at "Loading backend..." I've left it for 10 hours and it never finishes. It's never run properly. Does anyone know what causes this? I searched the forums for "loading backend" but it hasn't turned up any results.
    So: Yes, if your file consists of ~30 MB of pure text, you'll probably have just broken the pReader. If not, and most of the file consists of images, it should work.

It is all text. I'll send it to you in a PM. Thanks for a great Ereader.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosFreak View Post
    Just installed 0.9.13 on my TouchPad but when I run it it hangs at "Loading backend..." I've left it for 10 hours and it never finishes. It's never run properly. Does anyone know what causes this? I searched the forums for "loading backend" but it hasn't turned up any results.
    I had a similar problem:

1. Run Preware and uninstall Preader Native.
    If Preware won't run (mine wouldn't), turn the Touchpad completely off and back on (a hard reset).

2. Once Preader is uninstalled, reinstall it. I did this immediately from the same screen.

From this point on, it ran well. I suspect my problem was not initially uninstalling before installing the new version.
  13.    #493  
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverCity View Post
    Unfortunately, I am now seeing some unwanted characters that have shown up with the new version. I am seeing a capital A with a small inverted vee symbol over the top of the A at the beginning and end of every quoted sentence. At the beginning of the sentence, this character is just to the left of the first quotation mark. At the end of the sentence, this character is again just to the left of the final quotation mark. I am also seeing this unwanted character at the beginning of a dash character (or maybe it's actually a double or triple dash).

This character problem is seen in Native pReader on both my TouchPad and Palm Pre Plus. The Old pReader application does not have this problem. I tried different fonts and changing between UTF-8 and CP-1252 (Latin); no fix was found.
    Could you send me one of the affected files? Because none of my regular test eBooks shows this behaviour. Such encoding/translation issues are usually very easily fixed as soon as I have a file. Just drop me a PM, in case you don't already have or have lost my E-Mail address.

When going to Menu/Goto/Find/Bookmarks for an eReader file, this screen display, rather than showing a Table of Contents, shows a blank white screen. The toggle button All/TOC in the lower right corner of this screen does nothing when pressed. When I load the same book downloaded in a .epub format, the table of contents is displayed and the button works.
    This, too, should be easily fixable if I can get my hands on an affected file. I've just tested it with my personal eReader test files, and the Goto/Bookmarks screen works right for them.

The ugly:
    That is me. Sadly, none of your very skilled programming abilities can fix this problem!
    Eh, that depends on when cosmetic nanorobots will become available. Well, as long as they'll not need to be programmed in Javascript.
  14.    #494  
    Quote Originally Posted by Walhalla2k View Post
    sorry for my dumb question... I tried to search over the thread, but.... should the autoscroll option already work? I know it was not implemented some time ago. Is it already? It doesnt seem to work on my device. Even the option to switch it on seems to be there...
    Nope, autoscrolling does not yet work, as I have not completely implemented them, yet. All the classes are already there, but they're not actually used at the moment, as they're substantially untested. The options are there because it was too much work to remove them, given that I'll re-enable them soon anyhow.

Currently my schedule looks like this:

v0.9.14: Fix bugs and implement features like encoding, keyring and bookmarking systems.
    v0.9.15: Fix bugs and implement autoscrollers and some other currently non-functional parts of the pReader-Native compared to the clasic pReader.
    v0.9.16: Fix bugs and implement FictionBook 2 format; as the last format that was already supported by the old pReader

After that is stable, I'll replace the version in the App Catalog with this native version under the big v1.0.0 moniker.

And after that, I'll tackle the fallout and then try my hand at the B&N ePub DRM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosFreak View Post
    Could you use InternalZ to copy the "/var/log/messages" file and send it to me? This might help me see why your library failed.

Quote Originally Posted by crucian4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jappus
    So: Yes, if your file consists of ~30 MB of pure text, you'll probably have just broken the pReader. If not, and most of the file consists of images, it should work.
    It is all text. I'll send it to you in a PM. Thanks for a great Ereader.
    Thanks! I'll look forward to really torture the pReader.
    This might actually help me to see where I can reduce the RAM load.

Quote Originally Posted by Toasters View Post
    I had a similar problem:

1. Run Preware and uninstall Preader Native.
    If Preware won't run (mine wouldn't), turn the Touchpad completely off and back on (a hard reset).

2. Once Preader is uninstalled, reinstall it. I did this immediately from the same screen.

From this point on, it ran well. I suspect my problem was not initially uninstalling before installing the new version.
    Mhhm, that sounds as if WebOS did not properly set-up the Jail it uses to run the pReader's backend in. If true, that'd not be good, because it's something I have no control over and if it happened for one user, it might also happen for others.
    lar3ry likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Nope, autoscrolling does not yet work, as I have not completely implemented them, yet. All the classes are already there, but they're not actually used at the moment, as they're substantially untested. The options are there because it was too much work to remove them, given that I'll re-enable them soon anyhow.
    Thank you very much for letting me know!

Jan
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Maybe this question has been asked many times, but one thing really puzzles me: why does pReader use top and bottom tap for flipping pages? I have used quite a few readers on different platforms and all of them used left/right tapping.

Maybe one could make this configurable?
    Jappas,

I updated PNative this morning and it works! If you recall I've had lots of problems with my Palm Pre + 1.4.5 and now it's working beautifully!

What a difference!
    Thanks
    Curtis
    hmm just installed the latest update on my touchpad. But now it freezes at loading library every time I open it the first time. But the next time I open it, it loads the library fine. Then its back to not loading the library, till I restart the app.

my libary at the moment is only 5 epubs, so it shouldn't be my library is too big or anything
  19.    #499  
    Quote Originally Posted by mbert View Post
    Maybe this question has been asked many times, but one thing really puzzles me: why does pReader use top and bottom tap for flipping pages? I have used quite a few readers on different platforms and all of them used left/right tapping.

Maybe one could make this configurable?
    The reason was that this app was originally written for a smartphone with a very small screen. As such the top/bottom configuration just made more sense, as that's exactly the way all the old eBook reader applications behaved on those handhelds (all the way back to the Palm Pilot days). You see, back then the idea was not that the text is rendered as pages in a book, but as slices of a very long scroll.

But as you feature request makes sense, I've added it onto my ToDo list. After all, it's not as the pReader has a dearth of configurable options.
  20.    #500  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlitah View Post
    hmm just installed the latest update on my touchpad. But now it freezes at loading library every time I open it the first time. But the next time I open it, it loads the library fine. Then its back to not loading the library, till I restart the app.

my libary at the moment is only 5 epubs, so it shouldn't be my library is too big or anything
    Thanks for the bug report.

I already know that there's a bug in the new code that can be triggered on all devices when the library scene is closed / left before the library is completely loaded. Additionally, there seems to be a bug that exclusively affects TouchPad users and which is not restricted to the native alpha but also extends to the v0.8.12 release of the old JavaScript pReader, that I pushed out last week.

Something in WebOS 3.0.4 seems to have broken something that the pReader (both versions) depends upon.