Page 24 of 46 FirstFirst ... 14192021222324252627282934 ... LastLast
Results 461 to 480 of 917
Like Tree43Likes
  1. #461  
    Jappus, I'm having some weirdness with importing on the latest version. ePub is importing fine for single or multiple files. eReader though will only import a single file (DRM or not). Sometimes I have to close the app to import another file. If I select multiple files, it displays Importing 0/XX files but doesn't actually import anything. If I close / reopen pReader, there will be a title of either the correct title, Error, or None & the percent is NAN. I can delete the file and import again correctly one at a time. The pattern to require a restart _seems_ to be: non DRM can be done repeatedly, but DRM files. Seem to always require a restart.

    I don't remember if Keyring is supposed to be working in the alpha yet or not, but right now it isn't working. If I select Add from keyring, the dialog pops up for password, enter password, the dialog goes away and the enter credentials dialog is still up & blank. Note that after entering the password, it doesn't give the list of stored passwords to select from. Also, entering credentials doesn't bring up the "Add to Keyring" dialog.

    One more oddity - when the enter credentials dialog comes up, the password field has focus, not the Username field. Any ideas?
  2.    #462  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    Jappus, I'm having some weirdness with importing on the latest version. ePub is importing fine for single or multiple files. eReader though will only import a single file (DRM or not). Sometimes I have to close the app to import another file. If I select multiple files, it displays Importing 0/XX files but doesn't actually import anything. If I close / reopen pReader, there will be a title of either the correct title, Error, or None & the percent is NAN. I can delete the file and import again correctly one at a time. The pattern to require a restart _seems_ to be: non DRM can be done repeatedly, but DRM files. Seem to always require a restart.
    I don't remember if Keyring is supposed to be working in the alpha yet or not, but right now it isn't working.
    Let's just say: It is supposed to work, but it doesn't for bulk-import.

    That's not a problem of the bulk import algorithm or the native backend. The problem is much more mundane: WebOS 2.0 has subtly changed the way popup dialogs work, and the credentials screen and Keyring are nothing more than dialog popus. On top of that, the fact that I use a native backend has also quietly messed with timings on WebOS < 2.0 and that also disturbs the keyring dialog sequence.

    It's another bug that's on my ToDo list for today.

    One more oddity - when the enter credentials dialog comes up, the password field has focus, not the Username field. Any ideas?
    Duly Noted. It will be fixed.
  3. alan sh's Avatar
    Posts
    766 Posts
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    #463  
    How did you get on with the bug fixes?

    Alan
  4. #464  
    Booyah! Just got the notification that you have a fix for the missing text issue! Thanks!
  5.    #465  
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    How did you get on with the bug fixes?

    Alan
    Quote Originally Posted by gsparks2 View Post
    Booyah! Just got the notification that you have a fix for the missing text issue! Thanks!
    As you can see, I'm progressing on a steady clip. Unfortunately, I bit on hard granite on Saturday and Monday as far as the library-load issues are concerned. Thus, I'll probably need a few more days until I can get the last few kinks out of the system.

    The good news is, though, that I've already finished 50% of my ToDo list, and the remainder are either feature-requests (that are usually faster to implement) or bugs that look suspiciously like they could be traced to the same defect.

    I hope to release the new version before this weekend --- if just the library load issue would stop being so damn elusive.



    Ohh, and by the way. I've recently applied for the developer-device program but basically they told me that everything is on hold until they can themselves sort out where HP is headed with WebOS and the TouchPad. In the meantime they have forwarded my request to the Business Development Team, so we'll see whether that leads to the lodes of manna or a quicksand pit.

    Anyway, if any one of you has a more direct path to HP and knows whom to bug to maybe get a spare device shipped to Germany, I'd certainly not be in a position to say no...


    If only the TouchPad discounts applied to Germany... But over here the damn thingamajigs still cost upward of 400 EUR, if you can even get your hand on one! Ostensibly there are some going out for ~300 EUR, but these shops seem to have suspiciously long delivery time.
  6. #466  
    will preader support pdf files?
  7.    #467  
    Quote Originally Posted by JayZeeAtPre View Post
    will preader support pdf files?
    Not in the near or medium-term future, and if at all only in a limited way where the PDF is converted to HTML+Images, which will invariably cause a loss of information.

    The reason is that the PDF format is rather complex. One of the greatest issues is the lack of reflowing support in most PDFs. What I mean is that a PDF file descibes the layout of each page separately. It tells you exactly where to put what character, image, table, line, whatever. This is great if you want to print out a document exactly as intended by the author, but it horribly sucks if you want to display a book on a small screen. Even on a larger device like a TouchPad, you have problems with that. Because what do you do when the page is described as a square, but your screen is a 16:9 rectangle?

    Of course the newest PDF versions have support for reflowable layout, but that's only available in comparatively few files and even then implemented in a very complex manner.


    So, unless someone else volunteers to add this feature to the pReader, it's going to be a very, very late addition and might even never come, as I simply don't have the spare free time to implement it myself. Sorry.
  8. #468  
    Jappus; "Anyway, if any one of you has a more direct path to HP and knows whom to bug to maybe get a spare device shipped to Germany, I'd certainly not be in a position to say no... "

    I requested Lisa Brewster help you. I don't know what she can or will do.
  9. #469  
    hi

    I loaded this app last night. it worked flawlessly. all my txt based ebooks imported successfully.

    I found a bug while importing a txt ebook which is bigger than 10mb. the import process went fine without any error.

    but the file wasn't 100% imported. it was roughly 40% imported.

    I have no idea if there is anyone else found the same issue and stated here. but it is what I found.

    thanks for the app. I hope you can fix it in Bate version.

    F
  10. lar3ry's Avatar
    Posts
    78 Posts
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    #470  
    Quote Originally Posted by wf201626 View Post
    I found a bug while importing a txt ebook which is bigger than 10mb. the import process went fine without any error.

    but the file wasn't 100% imported. it was roughly 40% imported.
    That happened to me a while back, though it was on a much smaller book, perhaps 350K. I reloaded it, and it worked fine. I didn't think it was the app, but rather the download process, so I didn't bother reporting it here. It has not happened since.
  11. #471  
    Quote Originally Posted by wf201626 View Post
    I found a bug while importing a txt ebook which is bigger than 10mb. the import process went fine without any error.
    Are you sure that you are using pReader native available from preware or the first post of this thread? If you are using the version from the App Catalog, that's your problem. That version doesn't support files over 10MB. You need to get pReader native either from preware or by tapping on the Sourceforge link in the first post of this thread.
  12. #472  
    I installed pReader native from preware. since the pReader from app catalog is using the older sdk driver. it doesn't support the ebook bigger than 10mb. it event wont do any import at all.




    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    Are you sure that you are using pReader native available from preware or the first post of this thread? If you are using the version from the App Catalog, that's your problem. That version doesn't support files over 10MB. You need to get pReader native either from preware or by tapping on the Sourceforge link in the first post of this thread.
    Last edited by wf201626; 10/14/2011 at 01:24 PM.
  13. #473  
    Quote Originally Posted by wf201626 View Post
    I installed pReader native from preware. since the pReader from app catalog is using the older sdk driver. it doesn't support the ebook bigger than 10mb. it event wont do any import at all.
    I sent you a PM.
  14.    #474  
    Quote Originally Posted by wf201626 View Post
    I found a bug while importing a txt ebook which is bigger than 10mb. the import process went fine without any error.

    but the file wasn't 100% imported. it was roughly 40% imported.

    I have no idea if there is anyone else found the same issue and stated here. but it is what I found.
    Could you send me one of those files for testing purposes? I just fixed a bug that mostly affected MobiPocket books which also caused parts of the text to not be imported. I'd like to check if your bug is resolved by that bugfix, too.

    Just drop me a PM and I'll send you my E-Mail address.

    Thanks!
  15. #475  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Not in the near or medium-term future... reason is that the PDF format is rather complex...
    Jappus, appreciate your quick and detailed reply. I fully understand and respect your position. I was just hoping since the built-in pdf reader sucks.

    Thanks, JZ

    P.S. I have a german TP from ebay for 250 Euros
  16. #476  
    I am trying to import a mobi file without DRM. It is 29MB. It is not importing at all. Could this be due to its size?
  17.    #477  
    Quote Originally Posted by crucian4 View Post
    I am trying to import a mobi file without DRM. It is 29MB. It is not importing at all. Could this be due to its size?
    Possibly, but impossible for me to check if I don't have the file.

    The largest file I tested was a MobiPocket book of ~30 MB size. It imported cleanly, but of course, most of that were images, which is much easier on the RAM than dealing with text. This is because text needs to be parsed, whereas images can just be dumped to disk.

    Additionally, the pReader back-end is currently written in a way where the entire file needs to be loaded into RAM by libxml2 (a fast XML/HTML parsing library). It has an overhead of something between 1:3 and 1:4, so one byte of input text needs 3-4 bytes of main memory.

    So: Yes, if your file consists of ~30 MB of pure text, you'll probably have just broken the pReader. If not, and most of the file consists of images, it should work.


    But do note that the v0.9.12 pReader has a bug that causes some MobiPocket books not to import cleanly, completely or at all. I've fixed that bug for v0.9.13, which I'll release as soon as I have imported one small feature and checked the library-position detection code.

    Number two I'll do today (actually, I'm doing it right now. ) and number one I'll do tomorrow, so by tomorrow, I should be able to release v0.9.13.
  18. #478  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Number two I'll do today (actually, I'm doing it right now. ) and number one I'll do tomorrow
    Must be nice to be young enough to hold number one until the next day
  19.    #479  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    Must be nice to be young enough to hold number one until the next day
    Sometimes I can only wonder about the state of mind the users of the pReader are in ... and then I stop wondering when I remember the state of mind the creator of the pReader is in.
  20.    #480  
    Good news, everyone!

    I've just released v0.9.13 to the PreCentral application feed.

    As it's getting late over here, I'll just dump the changelog, instead of explaining the different points in too much detail.

    1. Fixed library loading issue affecting WebOS 1.4.5 and sometimes 2.0.
    2. Reimplemented the application start and option loading mechanism. The pReader should now start more reliably and faster.
    3. Improved the page-prefetching algorithm. It is faster and far more stable now.
    4. Made small links easier to access by offering a "links on this page" dialog in the app-menu.
    5. Enabled free rotation for all scenes.
    6. Support screen-off suppression even when not in autoscroll mode. You can activate that feature in the preferences.
    7. Added a TouchPad "Go Back" menu entry to the Link View.
    8. Fixed Help screen. Do note though, that the help information is severely outdated.
    9. Fixed eReader bug that caused no image to be displayed. You need to re-import the affected files.
    10. Fixed rendering bug affecting all files that caused tags to
      run on for an entire page. This was especially visible on Touchpads. You DON'T need to reimport your files.
    11. Fixed ePub bug that caused inline links not to work.
    12. The pReader will now show which book it is currently loading.




    Happy reading!

Posting Permissions