Page 23 of 46 FirstFirst ... 13181920212223242526272833 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    help.

I was reading a book. I closed of native prereader and now, when I start it, it gives 3 'ok's and then loads the library. But instead of loading my book, it sits with a blank screen.

I've tried a Luna restart but no change. Just about to do a full restart and see if that cures it.

so, why is it doing this?

edit. A full restart cured the problem (for now)

Alan
    Last edited by alan sh; 09/30/2011 at 02:41 PM. Reason: tried full restart
    i was reading a book got to the end and now its stuck i carnt i carnt seem to get out of the book to select a new one for the library :/
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    help.

I was reading a book. I closed of native prereader and now, when I start it, it gives 3 'ok's and then loads the library. But instead of loading my book, it sits with a blank screen.

I've tried a Luna restart but no change. Just about to do a full restart and see if that cures it.

so, why is it doing this?

edit. A full restart cured the problem (for now)

Alan
    Sorry Jappus - this happened again. I stopped the app, did a luna restart and all I get is a blank page. Do a full restart and it's fine. I never had this on the 9.10 version.

I am reading using 2 page view, if that helps.

Alan
    Quote Originally Posted by fragger View Post
    i was reading a book got to the end and now its stuck i carnt i carnt seem to get out of the book to select a new one for the library :/
    If you can see the app menu (the word pReader in the top left corner of the screen), tap it & select back. If you can't see the menu, you're in full screen mode. Tap & hole in the center of the screen & the menu will show up when you exit full screen mode.
    I seem to be having a lot of trouble with importing .mobi books in version 0.9.12. This afternoon alone, I tried to import 3 different books, but none of them was completely successful.

One book caused pReader to hang. It sat there for too long, and when I swiped pReader off the screen to close it, it caused a Luna restart.

The second book completed the import process, but when I tried to read it, it behaved very strangely. I'd get blank screens in between or sometimes in place of pages of text. I'm not sure that this bug is replicable, however, as it's behaving differently, now that I'm trying again -- it's still erratic, but not what I was describing.

Everything seemed to be fine with the third book, but as I was reading it, I discovered that every few pages, there was a line or so of garbage inserted right into the text. Most of the time, none of the text of the book was missing, but occasionally, a couple of characters would be lost where the garbage appeared.

FWIW, version 0.8.20 seems to import the first two books just fine but has the same problem with the third. All three work fine in Mobipocket Reader on my desktop.

I'd be happy to e-mail you the files, Jappus, if they'd be helpful. Are you still using the same e-mail address as when I sent you some files in July 2010?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    I'm not sure whats going on, but the latest version is not usable. I have to do a hard reset each time I want to open it. Then it works fine until I close it again.

Last night it wouldn't even import 5 .mobi files. The old preader did them fine (if very slowly).

I'm going back to the previous version to see if that cures it.

Alan
  7.    #447  
    Hello everyone. Sorry for answering so late, but Oktoberfest came, went and left me with a nasty cold.

Anyway, I'm reasonably well now and ready to tackle more bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by fragger View Post
    I'll take a look at that, but can you tell me what device you're on? Pre, Pixi, Pre3, TouchPad?

That'd help me narrow down the possible reasons for this particular error.

Sorry Jappus - this happened again. I stopped the app, did a luna restart and all I get is a blank page. Do a full restart and it's fine. I never had this on the 9.10 version.
    Okay, sounds like there's a bug in the library reading code. I'll take a look at it to see where it might go wrong.

Can you send me your /var/log/messages file (or attach it here), because that might give me a hint where to look first.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jbusnengo View Post
    I seem to be having a lot of trouble with importing .mobi books in version 0.9.12. This afternoon alone, I tried to import 3 different books, but none of them was completely successful.

One book caused pReader to hang. It sat there for too long, and when I swiped pReader off the screen to close it, it caused a Luna restart.

[...]

I'd be happy to e-mail you the files, Jappus, if they'd be helpful. Are you still using the same e-mail address as when I sent you some files in July 2010?
    I've just PMed you my E-Mail address, just to be sure.

Thanks!
    Hi

My 1st post here.

I'd like to install the pReader Native on my TouchPad.

I did download 'com.mhwsoft.preader-native_0.9/12_all.ipk' on my desktop.

1. How do I install this on my Touchpad?
    Just copy & paste into the USB Drive?
    If yes then:

2. into what folder?

3. how do I install it on the Touchpad?

4. Do I really need the 'internalz'?
    I hope not, because right now I am reluctant to go into SDK or the Developpper mode.

I did see Govotsos' entry about how to Import books from the Library but didn't see how to Install the pReader.
    Sorry for asking somthing that I am sure is already posted here.
    Cont. from my previous entry:

Probably I do not need 'Instalz' but I do need preware and to go into the Developer mode.

I just saw Ncinerate's entry from 8/20/11 at ...292472-ereader-questions forum
    Quote Originally Posted by amis123 View Post
    Hi

My 1st post here.

I'd like to install the pReader Native on my TouchPad.

I did download 'com.mhwsoft.preader-native_0.9/12_all.ipk' on my desktop.

1. How do I install this on my Touchpad?
    Just copy & paste into the USB Drive?
    If yes then:

2. into what folder?

3. how do I install it on the Touchpad?

4. Do I really need the 'internalz'?
    I hope not, because right now I am reluctant to go into SDK or the Developpper mode.

I did see Govotsos' entry about how to Import books from the Library but didn't see how to Install the pReader.
    Sorry for asking somthing that I am sure is already posted here.
    To install pReader native, there's a couple of ways to do it.

First - installing from a PC. You will need to enable developer mode on the TouchPad and download & install WebOS Quick Install. After you get Quick Install running (search for WOSQI) tap the plus sign, browse to where you downloaded the .ipk to & select it then click install.

The other way is to install it on your TouchPad directly. To do this, you still need to enable developer mode & install Quick Install. Then click the globe icon, select the Applications tab and install Internalz Pro and / or preware. You need one or both of these installed on your TouchPad since these are the tools that actually install things. On the TouchPad, open whichever you installed, open Preferences & enable the setting that registers the app as a handler for .ipk files. This is like registering file types on your PC - it tells the TouchPad how to handle various files. Using the web browser on your TouchPad, go to the first post here, tap on the Sourceforge link, tap on the pReader native ipk with the highest version number. Internalz or preware will open and you just tap the Install button to install pReader native.

If you want, you can turn off developer mode if you wish. If you want to use WebOS Quick Install again, you'll need to turn it back on.

So you know what all these apps are, WebOS Quick Install and preware are sort of the same thing but used on different devices. webOS Quick Install runs on your PC and preware runs on your webOS device. Both let you install applications available outside the App Catalog, patches, kernels, and themes. There are a lot of apps distributed outside the App Catalog & these tools are your portal to them. The patches allow you to customize & add functionality to the device beyond what you are able to do with the built in tools. Internalz is a file manager - basically Windows Explorer for webOS. It has a lot of features beyond just copying files & such. It has a text editor, it can be the handler for many file types, and is the tool you need to use if you want to install a patch file with a .patch extension on the device.

Hope this helps. Ask more questions if needed
    govotsos

Thanks a lot for your prompt and detailed reply.
    I'll follow your advice.

In the mean time, I gave it a try to the pReader available in the TouchPad's Apps, i.e. not the Native one.

I did download 2 ePub books from my local Library, in the *.acsm format, into my desktop.

Then I did copy and paste those 2 files into /eBooks/ folder on the USB Drive of the TouchPad.
    I did open the pReader app but it cannot see any of those files.

With pReader open, when I click 'Add Books To Library', then 'All' for 'File Types', it says:
    'Your document list is empty'.

Any idea how can I convince pReader to see my books?

Thanks a lot again
    govotsos

Thanks a lot for your prompt and detailed reply.
    I'll follow your advice.

In the mean time, I gave it a try to the pReader available in the TouchPad's Apps, i.e. not the Native one.

I did download 2 ePub books from my local Library, in the *.acsm format, into my desktop.

Then I did copy and paste those 2 files into /eBooks/ folder on the USB Drive of the TouchPad.
    I did open the pReader app but it cannot see any of those files.

With pReader open, when I click 'Add Books To Library', then 'All' for 'File Types', it says:
    'Your document list is empty'.

Any idea how can I convince pReader to see my books?

Thanks a lot again
    Neither version of pReader reads that flavor of ePub. Stock, non DRM ePub is what's supported now and Barnes & Noble ePub DRM is planned. What you might want to try is using Calibre to convert the file to eReader (file with pdb extension) or vanilla ePub. You might need one of the plugins if the files are DRMed.
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    Neither version of pReader reads that flavor of ePub. Stock, non DRM ePub is what's supported now and Barnes & Noble ePub DRM is planned. What you might want to try is using Calibre to convert the file to eReader (file with pdb extension) or vanilla ePub. You might need one of the plugins if the files are DRMed.
    wow
    That's a big disapointment.

govotsos
    Thanks again for your very helpful information.

I have the option to download books from my public library in:
    - Kindle format
    - Adobe EPUB eBook format
    - Adobe PDF eBook format

What's intriguing is that I did download a book in Adobe EPUB and another one in Adobe PDF but both show up as *.acsm.
    I do not know how to explain this??

I was hopping that at least the PDF book will be open by my TouchPad as I am able to open my own PDF documents but the PDF book from the Library is also in *.acsm

The Library does download to a variety of devices including the Nook, Kindle and iPhone/iPad.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Hello everyone. Sorry for answering so late, but Oktoberfest came, went and left me with a nasty cold.

Anyway, I'm reasonably well now and ready to tackle more bugs.

I'll take a look at that, but can you tell me what device you're on? Pre, Pixi, Pre3, TouchPad?

That'd help me narrow down the possible reasons for this particular error.

Okay, sounds like there's a bug in the library reading code. I'll take a look at it to see where it might go wrong.

Can you send me your /var/log/messages file (or attach it here), because that might give me a hint where to look first.

Thanks!

I've just PMed you my E-Mail address, just to be sure.

Thanks!
    what's your email address?

alan
    wow
    That's a big disapointment.

govotsos
    Thanks again for your very helpful information.

I have the option to download books from my public library in:
    - Kindle format
    - Adobe EPUB eBook format
    - Adobe PDF eBook format

What's intriguing is that I did download a book in Adobe EPUB and another one in Adobe PDF but both show up as *.acsm.
    I do not know how to explain this??

I was hopping that at least the PDF book will be open by my TouchPad as I am able to open my own PDF documents but the PDF book from the Library is also in *.acsm

The Library does download to a variety of devices including the Nook, Kindle and iPhone/iPad.
    The reason they both have the acsm extension is because they both use Adobe Digital Editions DRM. The libraries use that to copy protect the books but also because it supports expiration - after a set period of time, the book will no longer open.

If you have a TouchPad, you can use the Kindle app to read them but I think you have to sideload them. That means download them & manually add them to the Kindle app on your TouchPad. Search on the forums here for "kindle sideload" for direction.

If you want to use the ePub or pdf, you can use Calibre to convert them. Install Calibre and search for "calibre plugins" in your favorite search engine.
    govotsos

I am very grateful for your prompt and detailed help.

Have a good weekend
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    I have attached the last 5 minutes (or so) of the messages file when I attempt to open the program.

Alan
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Hi there, now that Barnes and Noble seems to have permanently stopped supporting pdb, I am really interested in knowing if support for Nook epub DRM is still planned, and if so, what the timing might be
    Quote Originally Posted by khampton View Post
    Hi there, now that Barnes and Noble seems to have permanently stopped supporting pdb, I am really interested in knowing if support for Nook epub DRM is still planned, and if so, what the timing might be
    Jappus will have tonswer for the timefreame for this, but if you want eReader format (pdb) books from B&N, you can download them on a Mac or use the original B&N eReader (not nook) for PC.
  20.    #460  
    I have attached the last 5 minutes (or so) of the messages file when I attempt to open the program.
    Thanks. I'll look through it later this day and see if I can find anything. The good news is that I'll have the entirety of tomorrow completely free to find and fix the bugs that were reported since the last release, as the Oktoberfest is over now an the flu I caught there has left the building / my sinuses.

SO, if everything goes well, I will be able to post a large bug-fix release tomorrow or the day after.

Quote Originally Posted by khampton View Post
    I plan to include support for every DRM style that is openly documented or has been reverse-engineered in some way and allows the user to decode the book by just entering a set of credentials.

For example, the B&N ePub DRM fulfills both restrictions; it has been reverse-engineered AND only demands a username+password/cc-number pair as credentials.

The basic Adobe ADEPT DRM on the other hand fails on the second point, as it has been reverse-engineered but depends on the presence of Adobe4PC to crack it, as it needs to extract the generated keys that are stored by it-

The Amazon Kindle DRM (except for the old Mobipocket one) actually fails both, as its details are unknown (as is the Topaz format in general) and the attack is based on a weakness in the protocol, so that no user-details are necessary at all! On top of that, the latter weakness wasn't made public by the one guy who managed to reverse-engineer the format...

So, depending on where each DRM style falls, the implemetation date will range from "soon" () over "later" () all the way up to "probably never". ()