Page 22 of 46 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122232425262732 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes
  1.    #421  
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudyifr View Post
    Jappus,

I don't mind trying this, even though reading with the original pReader is working. Is there a certain number of spaces that are required after the unmask=0000?
    One is enough. But if you want, you could put a million spaces in there, the Linux mounting system wouldn't mind.

PS If it becomes unmountable what would I have to do to fix it?
    I never was in that situation, so I don't know how WebOS would react. Maybe it will drop you to a "safe shell" in which you can connect via USB and SSH to the Phone and undo the changes. After all, /media/internal isn't necessary for the actual system to boot.

But no matter what happens, you can always use the WebOS Doctor to reset your Pixi to its factory defaults, if nothing works. This will overwrite everything NOT on /media/internal and reset the entire system, apps, telephone numbers and all.

In that case, a combination of Palm's own sync (which saves telephone numbers and the list of installed apps to a Palm/HP server), PreWare (with which you can do something similar before the reset to save which Homebrew Apps you have installed) and the Save+Restore Tool (which can save the settings of most of the apps on your device) will help you do a full restore.

As I said, applying the change is easy and should not harm your system. But it's always good to have back-ups, just in case.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Just updated to .12 and I get the same issue of it sticking at 'loading library'. I'd this that conflict between front and back end you were talking about?

Alan
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Another question. What does 'nan%' mean on the right by each book entry? And why does one say 'infinity%'?

alan
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    Another question. What does 'nan%' mean on the right by each book entry? And why does one say 'infinity%'?

alan
    That's _supposed_ to show your position in the book. Why it's not working, though, is a question for jappus.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Good news, everyone!

I've just released a hotfix version v0.9.12, that fixes the 100% CPU usage issue. The problem was a single worker thread that ran amok because a Thread-Block condition was never locked.

Have fun reading, this time without draining your battery in 5 minutes.
    Thanks works great!
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quick question, is there a way to easily add a "skip book if not loaded in X amount of time" option?

Only reason I ask is for some reason it didn't like one of my epubs I was trying to load, and left it on 29% all night. Finally after some trial and error I figured out which one it was, but haven't gotten the rest loaded.

It'd save a lot of trouble figuring out which file is causing the problems
    I am running preader Native 0.9.12 on Pre 3 since the latest update periodically it opens and hangs on trying to open the library. It jumps to a blank screen but if I swipe back it is trying to open the library. If when this hanging occurs I swipe back to the Add a Book page and select add a book the path it shows is simply / instead of the usual /media/internal/books Some times when this error occurs I get the message

"Error: Call to method getPathInfo could not dispatch IPC. Not connected. State = RPS_Selfterminated. The library could not be loaded. Check if the Path "" is available, ie not blocked by a file. If this error persists consider filing a bug report in the support thread."

This error is occuring about 70% of the time I open reader

Another error I am experiencing is the book I am reading (a pdb) loads and shows perfectly accept all "quoted dialogue" in the book is missing. Makes for an interesting sort of detective style reading but after a while is bothersome.

Any ideas on either of these issues?

Love your software it is one of the truly irreplaceable app's

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  8.    #428  
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    Just updated to .12 and I get the same issue of it sticking at 'loading library'. I'd this that conflict between front and back end you were talking about?
    [...]
    Mhhm, it seems that your library is somehow not read correctly by the pReader, because the "NaN%" only appears when the pReader can't read the metadata of that particular file, and "infinity%" when the book length is not correct. It will still display the book; either with its internal ID or gibberish, to allow you to delete that particular book folder.

Can you identify which books inside your library produce this error and send me their subdirectory from the "/media/internal/appdata/com.mhwsoft.preader-native/.library" folder? That's the nice thing about the native version, since the library is purely file/folder-based, you can easily send me files to debug.

Just drop me a PM, and I'll send you my E-Mail address.

Quote Originally Posted by hydin View Post
    Quick question, is there a way to easily add a "skip book if not loaded in X amount of time" option?
    Mhhhm, tricky. The problem is that the import process is completely the job of the back-end. The front-end only sends the "add" request and then waits for an answer. It has no other control over the back-end. The front end has to trust that the back-end will not enter an infinite-loop or crash completely.

Furthermore, the import process runs in a separate thread in the back-end, so it can't be easily shot down. And if the back-end crashed, skipping the book wouldn't help at all, for obvious reasons. I'll think about that problem and see what I can do.

But what I can easily give you is that the pReader displays just WHAT book it currently tries to import. I've just put that on my ToDo list.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisgreen5 View Post
    I am running preader Native 0.9.12 on Pre 3 since the latest update periodically it opens and hangs on trying to open the library. It jumps to a blank screen but if I swipe back it is trying to open the library. If when this hanging occurs I swipe back to the Add a Book page and select add a book the path it shows is simply / instead of the usual /media/internal/books Some times when this error occurs I get the message

"Error: Call to method getPathInfo could not dispatch IPC. Not connected. State = RPS_Selfterminated. The library could not be loaded. Check if the Path "" is available, ie not blocked by a file. If this error persists consider filing a bug report in the support thread."

This error is occuring about 70% of the time I open reader
    This sounds like the back-end simply crashes when reading your library. After that, the front-end still runs but can't do anything sensible and at some point, you run into one of the few checks that actually can detect whether the back-end is still alive.

Another error I am experiencing is the book I am reading (a pdb) loads and shows perfectly accept all "quoted dialogue" in the book is missing. Makes for an interesting sort of detective style reading but after a while is bothersome.
    Mhhm, seems like you've exposed a bug in one of my XML/HTML filters used to sanitize the input or output data.

Could you send me the original file used to import the book and the folder inside your library that contains the imported data? I've outlined above on how to get it. Perhaps that'll even help me to fix the crash-bug you've outline above (of course, you could just send me your entire ".library" folder, but I bet that one's going to be rather large ).

Again, just send me a PM and I'll give you my E-Mail address.

Thanks for all your valuable bug reports! Without them, the pReader wouldn't be what it is.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Appreciate the help

Knowing which book is not loading will help a ton. Going of the log file I can see where it crashes but it currently doesn't show the book (as you know), so anything will help.

Does it handle mobi better than epub as far as loading batches, or does it matter? I can bulk convert the files to something else instead of epub if that helps.

Thanks man, love the program so far.
    could anybody tell me how to delete a book in the library? It seems I couldn't delete the entire library neither. Thank you!
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zlatan_t View Post
    could anybody tell me how to delete a book in the library? It seems I couldn't delete the entire library neither. Thank you!
    Go to the library page and swipe the title left or right. It will expose a Delete and Cancel button.
  12.    #432  
    Quote Originally Posted by hydin View Post
    Does it handle mobi better than epub as far as loading batches, or does it matter? I can bulk convert the files to something else instead of epub if that helps.
    Both importers should be more or less bug free. Of course, there might still be subtle bugs in them, but there's really only one way to find out.

Basically, you should always try the original format that you've gotten the files in first, as this will incur the least amount of losses due to format conversion, as the formats don't map 1:1 to each other.

And as we all know from photocopying, chaining imperfect copies together will eventually make everything unreadable.
    Jappas,

I added the statement to Fstab. The phone rebooted fine and I still couldn't load a book with Native although the plane pReader still worked fine.
    However, it removed everything from the phone and took me right back to an original phone. So after 4 hours of getting it all put back together I'm back to square one.

Curtis
    Montana
    I have exactly the same symptoms as he does and the same fstab file. I will bet he has a Verizon Pre Plus, as all the ones like this have been that.

Ted
    @jappus Did something change in the import process in this version? It seems to be a lot slower.
    Jappus: I installed the .12 version. Like the adjustable margins but seems like the minimum left margin is at 3-4%. Is this the default minimum or can you make it smaller? Using a Pre 2 and I like the text to use as much of the screen space as possible.

Thanks for all your hard work. I have been using the native alpha version for a month or two and have found no other concerns.
  17.    #437  
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudyifr View Post
    Jappas,

I added the statement to Fstab. The phone rebooted fine and I still couldn't load a book with Native although the plane pReader still worked fine.
    However, it removed everything from the phone and took me right back to an original phone. So after 4 hours of getting it all put back together I'm back to square one.
    Damn. Sorry for that.

I never knew that WebOS is that aggressive, as what you did is in no way different than what the old "Emergency Fstab Fixer" Patch did. That it nuked your entire phone is what I'd call "slightly overkill".

I go and take a closer look at my write-detection algorithm again. There's bound to be a way to detect your issue and actually find a path the pReader can write to.

Well, except if there's a really, really, really insane bug in your WebOS version that disallows native apps from writing anything at all to disk. But I think people would've noticed such a bug by now.

Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    @jappus Did something change in the import process in this version? It seems to be a lot slower.
    The old import process ran synchronously, so there was a minimal overhead (~25-50 ms) for each import. Unfortunately, due to the way Palm/HP implemented the IPC interface, the old "only 2-5 seconds of continuous Javascript computation allowed" issue also affects the IPC between Javascript and C.

So, whenever an import process took longer than a few seconds, WebOS killed that Javascript run, so the native backend had nowhere to report success to.

The new import process runs asynchronously in a different thread. That way, the frontend just starts the job and then returns control back to WebOS. The back-end meanwhile opens another thread and does the import in there. As soon as it is done, it uses the IPC interface in reverse and calls a Javascript method in the frontend that then continues the stopped JSJSJS $import$ $job$.

This means that instead of ~50ms overhead, we have at least an overhead of 100-200ms plus the delay of having to schedule the separate thread. That might not sound like much, bug given that each file only takes a few seconds or less to import, that can easily mean an overhead of 25-50%.

Quote Originally Posted by gsparks2 View Post
    Jappus: I installed the .12 version. Like the adjustable margins but seems like the minimum left margin is at 3-4%. Is this the default minimum or can you make it smaller? Using a Pre 2 and I like the text to use as much of the screen space as possible.
    Mhhm, if you set both margins to "0%", the text should be rendered directly next to the screen, as you can see in the appended screenshot.

But I guess that's also not exactly what you want.
    I think the next version will have an additional setting of 1-2%.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    thanks for this great app! I'm having a slight problem with a specific type of MOBI file - I generate an extract of some rss feeds every Morning with calibre, but I find some strange behavior when trying to open it with Preader native. Page 1 looks fine, but when I try to go to page 2 of roughly 20 it jumps to the next to last page. I've changed setting for navigation and scrolling but I can't seem to get to any of the pages in between. The same file looks fine on my pc or on my kindle. Any ideas what could be happening?
    Jappus:
    Margins work as you stated above, I am quite happy with it. I think I had to close and reopen the reader to make the preferences changes take effect.

Thanks!
  20.    #440  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdworsky View Post
    thanks for this great app! I'm having a slight problem with a specific type of MOBI file - I generate an extract of some rss feeds every Morning with calibre, but I find some strange behavior when trying to open it with Preader native. Page 1 looks fine, but when I try to go to page 2 of roughly 20 it jumps to the next to last page. I've changed setting for navigation and scrolling but I can't seem to get to any of the pages in between. The same file looks fine on my pc or on my kindle. Any ideas what could be happening?
    That sounds like a bug in the layouting and page-fitting algorithm that is exposed by this kind of file.

Could you upload an affected file somewhere where I can get at it? Alternatively, just drop me a PM and I'll send you my E-Mail address so that you can send me the file directly.

Thanks!

P.S.: By the way, if I have seemed a bit unresponsive the last week, it's because it's Oktoberfest down here where I live now (which reminds me that I should probably change my location tag ), so I have not exactly spent my spare time in front of the PC in the last few days, so to speak...