Page 21 of 46 FirstFirst ... 11161718192021222324252631 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by larizzo View Post
    I've noticed that when preader native is open CPU 1 is using 100% CPU. I'm wondering why this is since the page is loaded on screen. I thought maybe prefetch but even after 5mins it's still 100% when left on the same page. Just sucks for battery life is this on radar or a bug you already know about.

preader 9.11
    Do you mean CPU1 is at 100% utilization or at 100% of the set frequency? What is CPU2 reporting? Which kernel are you using, at what speed, and what governors? How are you viewing this? Do you have both Govnah & pReader in card view so you can see them both or are you switching to Govnah at full screen? Have you applied the 3.0.2 webOS update?
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    Do you mean CPU1 is at 100% utilization or at 100% of the set frequency? What is CPU2 reporting? Which kernel are you using, at what speed, and what governors? How are you viewing this? Do you have both Govnah & pReader in card view so you can see them both or are you switching to Govnah at full screen? Have you applied the 3.0.2 webOS update?

I'm seeing this in govnah, and yes 100% of is set freq. (1.7ghz) using f4-60. I can go back a froth between the two cards and its always max. I left it running for 10mins on govnah always stayed at max. CPU 2 goes up and down depending on demand.Tried rebooting and tried with Uberkernel (1.5) same issue I also had the issue with 9.10 but never checked before if I had it with other builds. I don't seem to have this behaviour with other apps, usually they go up and down from 192-1728.

I added a picture using top in xterm also.

govnah settings:
    ondemandtcl
    bfq
    westwood
    95%
    false
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by larizzo; 09/24/2011 at 06:34 PM.
    I've tried 0.9.10 and 0.9.11. Smooth scrolling doesn't work for either version.

When running, the program uses 100% of cpu 1 and runs so slowly it takes a couple seconds just to switch one page.

The page switches a screen at a time no matter whether Smooth Scroll is on or not.

Scrolling a page down is slightly faster than page up, but the program seems unusable for reading to me in it's current state. I have not overclocked my touchpad.

I have these patches.
    faster card animations hyper version
    increase touch sensitivity and smoothness 10
    remove dropped packet logging
    unthrottle download manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Yep.

Most likely, you still have the fstab-bug that prevents the pReader from writing to the "/media/internal" partition (which is the same thing that you see when you connect your Pre to a PC). Check if you can apply the "Emergency Fstab Fixer" that is offered as a patch in PreWare.

If that doesn't help, try installing the new v0.9.11 version of the pReader (announcement below). And if that doesn't help either, could you please install InternalZ and use it to copy the /var/log/messages file to your USB-partition (/media/internal) after you've run the pReader again.

Thanks!
    I tried loading the emergency Fstab but it won't let me load as it says I don't need it with webos 1.4.5.1.
    I loaded v0.0.11 of pReader and no change.
    I loaded InternalZ and copied the files you requested and uploaded them here for you.

Thanks
    Curtis
    Last edited by cloudyifr; 09/26/2011 at 09:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tannim View Post

When running, the program uses 100% of cpu 1 and runs so slowly it takes a couple seconds just to switch one page.

The page switches a screen at a time no matter whether Smooth Scroll is on or not.

Scrolling a page down is slightly faster than page up, but the program seems unusable for reading to me in it's current state. I have not overclocked my touchpad.

I have these patches.
    faster card animations hyper version
    increase touch sensitivity and smoothness 10
    remove dropped packet logging
    unthrottle download manager
    That is my experience also. One CPU (at 1.5 Ghz - overclocked) is going at 100%, and Preader is deadslow at changing pages.

difference in situation_ overclocked, no unthrottle download manager installed, never tried Smooth Scroll on.
  6.    #406  
    Quote Originally Posted by hydin View Post
    Quick question... just downloaded the newest release and I am about to lob around 3000 books at it as a test (hey, if it works, awesome, if not, I plan to do it in 500 book sections )
    It should work.

Only the library load will take several seconds, because it has to import that many books. In one of the future versions, I'll have to put a buffer/index in there, so that not all books need to be fetched at once.

Is there something I can add or change in the program itself so that it shows the "series" option metatag from calibre? I know it shows display name, title, author, etc , but I was wondering if there was something I could change or alter in either the program or in calibre so the filter works.
    Changing it for all books in one go is not yet quite possible, because I have not yet added a way to change the default display string order, but it's on my ToDo list.

But the basics are there. Just open the metadata editor for each book and you'll find a collapsed group labeled "Displayed name". In it, you can select the variables from the book's metadata that form the displayed string.

In one of the future versions of the pReader you'll find a button that says: "Apply this to all books"

Quote Originally Posted by larizzo View Post
    I've noticed that when preader native is open CPU 1 is using 100% CPU. I'm wondering why this is since the page is loaded on screen. I thought maybe prefetch but even after 5mins it's still 100% when left on the same page. Just sucks for battery life is this on radar or a bug you already know about.
    Mhhhm, that sounds like a serious bug that I have not yet noticed.

I'll see if I can replicate and fix it for v0.9.12, which I'll then release as a hotfix.

Anyway, try disabling the "Prefetch pages" option and check if that helps.

Thanks again for the detailed bug report.

Quote Originally Posted by tannim View Post
    Yup, that's because smooth scrolling isn't implemented yet. Just like the Auto-Scrollers, they are to be done in the next few versions, as they all depend on the "simple" scrollers working correctly.
  7.    #407  
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudyifr View Post
    I tried loading the emergency Fstab but it won't let me load as it says I don't need it with webos 1.4.5.1.
    I loaded v0.0.11 of pReader and no change.
    I loaded InternalZ and copied the files you requested and uploaded them here for you.
    Thanks. The logs basically say that the pReader indeed could not write to /media/internal. At that point, the pReader checks if it can write to its own installed directory, but that fails too, which should not happen.

I'll go over the detection code once more and check if there's a subtle bug in it.

In the mean time, you could locate the "/etc/fstab" file and check if it still has the bug, even despite your upgrade to WebOS 1.4.5.1. You can find a description of the bug here:
    https://developer.palm.com/distribut...hp?f=70&t=7942

Basically, look in the file for this:
    Code:
    /dev/mapper/store-media /media/internal vfat    utf8,shortname=mixed,umask=0000 0       0
    If the umask is 0022, you've still got the problem, despite being on WebOS 1.4.5.1

Thanks again for your help!
    Turning Prefetch pages off doesn't seem to fix the earlier mentioned "slowness" and CPU clogging on my touchpad.

I also see all the graphics being built up very slowly, including the pReader menu after a swipe down on the left upper corner of the screen.
  9.    #409  
    Good news, everyone!

I've just released a hotfix version v0.9.12, that fixes the 100% CPU usage issue. The problem was a single worker thread that ran amok because a Thread-Block condition was never locked.

Have fun reading, this time without draining your battery in 5 minutes.
    Good news, everyone!

I've just released a hotfix version v0.9.12, that fixes the 100% CPU usage issue. The problem was a single worker thread that ran amok because a Thread-Block condition was never locked.

Have fun reading, this time without draining your battery in 5 minutes.
    this release seems to do a lot better.

This release still gets stuck in "loading library" half the time on my tp. Often after a first launch (meaning: after a luna restart /reboot).

After closing and relaunching it does load the library. The library holds 40 epubs btw.
  11.    #411  
    Quote Originally Posted by R00tM0nk View Post
    this release seems to do a lot better.

This release still gets stuck in "loading library" half the time on my tp. Often after a first launch (meaning: after a luna restart /reboot).

After closing and relaunching it does load the library. The library holds 40 epubs btw.
    This is a known bug. When you restart the phone, it has to create the jail for the pReader all again. But it does so while already loading the back-end. Thus, certain assumptions about time-outs are not met and the back-end reports that it can't access anything or simply crashes (depends on when WebOS decides to interrupt the loading process).

In that case, the front-end starts and either notices that the back-end crashed (and quits), or it notices that the back-end still works but can't actually access anything, in which case the library remains empty.

On the next restart, the jail is already present and everything loads just fine.

In the course of the next releases, I hope to fully address this wacky behaviour.
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    Just to make sure it SHOULD work, check what version of webOS your Pixi is using. Open the Device Info app. If it doesn't list the OS version as 1.4.5 or higher, the native version of pReader will not work on your Pixi. You will need to install the version in the App Catalog instead.
    Thank you for the help!
    I have 1.4.5.1 WebOS version.
    And the 0.9.8 version of pReader worked, but with bugs.
    I tryed to do all of your advices, but the last version of pReader - 0.9.12 - doesn't work at all. The loading stops at this step :"loading backend" and after 30 seconds I can see the notice: "Loading has taken more then 30 seconds. This is not normal. Consider restarting the application. If that does not help, consider restarting the device. If that does not help..." I can't read more, because the end of the screen
    I removed native version and installed 0.8.x from AppCatalog.. It works fine I added the book to library and manually flipped page by page to 50+ percent.. seems to be all right, all of pages are in its place, no empty pages.. Finally I can read the book

In the mean time, you could locate the "/etc/fstab" file and check if it still has the bug, even despite your upgrade to WebOS 1.4.5.1. You can find a description of the bug here:
    https://developer.palm.com/distribut...hp?f=70&t=7942

Thanks again for your help!
    How do I find the etc directory or fstab file? I plugged the phone into the computer with a USB cable and searched the directories but it doesn't come up with any of those names.

Thanks
    Curtis
  15.    #415  
    Quote Originally Posted by inf_ini View Post
    Thank you for the help!
    I have 1.4.5.1 WebOS version.
    And the 0.9.8 version of pReader worked, but with bugs.
    I tryed to do all of your advices, but the last version of pReader - 0.9.12 - doesn't work at all. The loading stops at this step :"loading backend" and after 30 seconds I can see the notice: "Loading has taken more then 30 seconds. This is not normal. Consider restarting the application. If that does not help, consider restarting the device. If that does not help..." I can't read more, because the end of the screen
    Have you tried to load the app a second time? As I outlined above, sometimes the very first start of the native pReader subtly fails.

If that doesn't help, I most likely made an error with compiling the Pixi binary. As I don't have a Pixi, I can't actually check whether it works or not and depend on users reporting whether or not it works.

I removed native version and installed 0.8.x from AppCatalog.. It works fine I added the book to library and manually flipped page by page to 50+ percent.. seems to be all right, all of pages are in its place, no empty pages.. Finally I can read the book
    You don't need to remove the native version to use the old Javascript pReader. As is outlined in the application description of the native reader, both versions can co-exist peacefully side-by-side.

How do I find the etc directory or fstab file? I plugged the phone into the computer with a USB cable and searched the directories but it doesn't come up with any of those names.
    Use PreWare to install InternalZ. It's an on-board file-system browser. It will start in /media/internal (which is what your USB disk actually is ), so just move two directories up and then into the "etc". Therein you find a file called fstab. Open it and you'll see which drives are mounted (integrated into the file-system) by WebOS and which settings it uses.

Because, in the end, even WebOS is just another GNU/Linux system...
    Have you tried to load the app a second time? As I outlined above, sometimes the very first start of the native pReader subtly fails.

If that doesn't help, I most likely made an error with compiling the Pixi binary. As I don't have a Pixi, I can't actually check whether it works or not and depend on users reporting whether or not it works.
    Yes, I have tried to load the app several times before I removed it.
    I can be "pixi-tester" with pleasure

But I have to say, that with 0.9.10 and 0.9.11 versions I had problems with adding book to library - Pixi became "frozen" and made restart.

both versions can co-exist peacefully side-by-side.
    I didn't know it, thank you.
    I attached my Fstab file as I can't tell if it's right or wrong.

Curtis
    Last edited by cloudyifr; 09/26/2011 at 09:56 AM.
  18.    #418  
    But I have to say, that with 0.9.10 and 0.9.11 versions I had problems with adding book to library - Pixi became "frozen" and made restart.
    Yup, that'd concide exactly with a recompile of the static libraries that are used by the back-end. But that might be just that: Coincidence.

I'll try to see if I can find the root-problem, in the meantime, could other Pixi users tell me if they have any issues? Because if it's a library issue, it should affect all Pixi users equally.

Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I did the update and load my books but they still do not show right and almost impossble to turn the page. The file format is epub.
    Could you send me the file in question? With it, I might be able to check what causes these layout glitches.

Just drop me a PM, and I'll send you my E-Mail address.
  19.    #419  
    I attached my Fstab file as I can't tell if it's right or wrong.
    Mhhhm, it looks right, more or less, as it doesn't specify any umask value. Thus, it should default to umask=0000 and thus, the pReader should be able to write to it.

But if you want to make sure, you could change this line:
    Code:
    /dev/mapper/store-media	/media/internal	vfat	utf8,shortname=mixed	0	0
    to this:
    Code:
    /dev/mapper/store-media	/media/internal	vfat	utf8,shortname=mixed,umask=0000	0	0
    You can edit the file by enabling "master-mode" within InternalZ. After that, you can restart the phone and everything should work. But do notice that this might make your /media/internal partition unmountable if you make a typo. Soooo...
    Jappas,

I don't mind trying this, even though reading with the original pReader is working. Is there a certain number of spaces that are required after the unmask=0000?

Curtis

PS If it becomes unmountable what would I have to do to fix it?