Page 19 of 46 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819202122232429 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rudramakesmovie View Post
    hi Jappus,

Perhaps you might partner up with Overdrive - they are the company that does library lending of eBooks in the US using the Adobe DRM. Since there isn't an app right now on the Touchpad for that - perhaps they might be interested in what you are doing?
    You do realize that Calibre and a plug-in is all you need to transfer Adobe DRM'd epubs to a reader, right?
  2. rlb
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lar3ry View Post
    You do realize that Calibre and a plug-in is all you need to transfer Adobe DRM'd epubs to a reader, right?
    Care to share?
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlb View Post
    Care to share?
    Google
    calibre plugin drm
    My wife is a librarian and I work in IP protected software, so as much as I can I try to either 1) ask developers to develop solutions, 2) avoid entering grey areas.

Particularly when it comes to books.

though - worse comes to worse..
    --
    Rudra
    follow me on twitter - twitter.com/rudra_banerji
  5. rlb
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Google
    calibre plugin drm
    Thanks. Looks pretty easy.
    ah - good point about GPL. Well - in that case - my only issues with pReader are ones of the UI design. I would love to help on that score - if you are interested..
    --
    Rudra
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    My wife is a librarian and I work in IP protected software, so as much as I can I try to either 1) ask developers to develop solutions, 2) avoid entering grey areas.

Particularly when it comes to books.

though - worse comes to worse..
    I agree with you, but the Calibre solution solved several problems I had with borrowed books and Adobe's Digital Editions. Grey areas are only grey (or worse) if you are abusing the intent of the system.
  8.    #368  
    Yep, that solution works for Calibre, as its plugins can use gray ways of accessing the storage of other apps (like Kindle4PC) to get the decryption keys.

For obvious reasons, that approach fails for the pReader.

But I'll take a gander at them later this week and see if someone actually went ahead and reverse-engineered the key derivation.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Yep, that solution works for Calibre, as its plugins can use gray ways of accessing the storage of other apps (like Kindle4PC) to get the decryption keys.

For obvious reasons, that approach fails for the pReader.

But I'll take a gander at them later this week and see if someone actually went ahead and reverse-engineered the key derivation.
    Actually, it works quite well for the pReader. When I borrow a DRM'd book that I want to read on pReader, I download it. It goes to Adobe Digital Editions. I grab it from the Digital Editions data directory, and drop it into Calibre, in which I have several plugins installed. They are automatically de-DRM'd. I then convert to epub (or if apppropriate, leave in whatever format it came in), and transfer it to the Touchpad using TBTransfer.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Jappus,

Any idea when the next version is coming out?

cheers

Alan
    Actually, it works quite well for the pReader. When I borrow a DRM'd book that I want to read on pReader, I download it. It goes to Adobe Digital Editions. I grab it from the Digital Editions data directory, and drop it into Calibre, in which I have several plugins installed. They are automatically de-DRM'd. I then convert to epub (or if apppropriate, leave in whatever format it came in), and transfer it to the Touchpad using TBTransfer.
    Not bad. The official word from overdrive currently is to support the kindle app only. :-(

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
    --
    Rudra
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Not bad. The official word from overdrive currently is to support the kindle app only. :-(

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
    hey

probably a stupid question, but where/how did you find a copy of forums to work on the touchpad? I keep getting an error about it not being for my device.

I noticed looking at /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.quickoffice.ar/import/arx/
    arxservice with vi that it has references to epub in there, could this be a compiled version of the RMSDK? and if so would it have the epub drm exposed?
  14.    #374  
    Of course Calibre works with the pReader, as it strips off the DRM, but Calibre's approach does not work for the pReader in so far as it contains no method that allows the pReader to strip the DRM itself.

Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    Any idea when the next version is coming out?
    It was supposed to come out last monday, but unfortunately I hit a nasty bug with WebOS's IPC interface that made it necessary for me to rewrite parts of the back-end.

Anyway, I hope to be able to release the new version by wednesday; if no other bugs rear their ugly heads.
    This is nice. Using Calibre on my Linux desktop I'm using this to read converted PDFs in a much better way than the Adobe reader.

One tiny thing though, could pReader auto-load new files from a particular directory (such as .plamkindle where Calibre places them by default) ? Then I wouldn't have to keep importing new ones by hand, they'd just show up.

Tom
    Mr. Jappus,

Thank you for making the Native pReader full size on the TouchPad.

I need to bring your attention to possible Native pReader problems:

I am seeing a difference in the way Native pReader (Np) and Old pReader (Op) display a Fictionwise .pdb (eReader) book file. I am seeing this difference between Op and Np on both my Touchpad and my Pre Plus.

First, Op displays this type of book file text correctly. Np shows occasional gaps of blank (missing) text. Or, it may show a few words singly, one above the other, next to the left hand margin. Or, it may show an isolated single line of text with a fair amount of empty space and missing text around it.

Second, Op displays the graphic images of a .pdb book file correctly, if included with the book. Np does not display them correctly. Instead, it displays a narrow vertical rectangle (centered between the margins) in the place of where the graphic image should display (beginning of the book, if the graphic is a front cover).

Thanks,
    RiverCity
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverCity View Post
    I am seeing a difference in the way Native pReader (Np) and Old pReader (Op) display a Fictionwise .pdb (eReader) book file. I am seeing this difference between Op and Np on both my Touchpad and my Pre Plus.
    Great bug report ! Could you post the file that causes problems so it can be reproduced by the developer ?

Tom
    I have the preader app on my TouchPad. I have books on my PC. I tried to transfer them by dragging them to the TouchPad via the USB connection. I was led to believe that the preader would recognize them and download them. It is not happening. I'm a novice at this so please accept thatI may not know what I am doing. I purchased the TP mainly for the ebook concept and have only been able to get the Kindle app top work. I would like to get books from my public library download site and trensfer them to my TP. So far I have not had any success. HELP!!!!!!!!!!
    which formats are your books? epub? .mobi, ... ?
    Install Calibre (google) to convert to e.g. ePub ?
    Quote Originally Posted by prfek View Post
    I have the preader app on my TouchPad. I have books on my PC. I tried to transfer them by dragging them to the TouchPad via the USB connection. I was led to believe that the preader would recognize them and download them. It is not happening. I'm a novice at this so please accept thatI may not know what I am doing. I purchased the TP mainly for the ebook concept and have only been able to get the Kindle app top work. I would like to get books from my public library download site and trensfer them to my TP. So far I have not had any success. HELP!!!!!!!!!!
    Welcome to the world of webOS and pReader!

First, to make sure we're on the same page, are you using the version of pReader available in the App Catalog or pReader native available in preware and the first post of this thread? If using the version from the App Catalog, you might want to delete it and install pReader native. The native version is much (MUCH) faster importing books and turns pages faster because of better caching. You can install pReader native either from preware or the first post of this thread. If you're not sure how to do that, just post here & we can give you step by step instructions for that.

Getting books into pReader isn't just a matter of copying the files to your TouchPad. The files need to be imported into pReader's library. It's pretty easy to do. Like mentioned above, make sure the book is in a supported format. In pReader native, that's ePub with NO DRM (copy protection) or palmDOC (files with a pdb extension either with NO DRM or with eReader format DRM.

- copy (or download) the book files to your device - make note of the directory you put them in, you'll need that later
    - open pReader

- if you're at the Library screen (has a big Add Books button & list of books) go to the next step. If you're reading a book, you need to return to the Library. If you can see the menu labeled pReader in the top left of the display, swipe down over it to open the menu and select Go Back. If you don't see the menu, you're in full screen mode. Tap and hold in the middle of the screen and the menu will appear (you _might_ have to do this twice to get the menu) then swipe down over the menu & select Go Back

- First we need to do a housekeeping task. You need to change the code page encoding. This tells pReader how to display text - soft of the computer equivalent of what language to use. To do this, when in the Library, open the menu & select Preferences. pReader has LOTS of preferences. To get to the one we want, tap the arrow on the right edge of the screen beside the entry labeled TEXT DISPLAY. In the section that opens, select DEF. ENCODING (it's near the bottom of the section) and select UTF-8. Now, just open the menu & select Go Back to return to the Library.

- Now we're ready to import. Press the Add Book button and select the type of file you're importing. A directory tree will appear. Navigate to the directory you placed the book files in (it's /media/internal/downloads if you downloaded the books).
    - select the book(s) you want to import. If you want, you can Select All or even select a directory. Try to limit to 200 or so books at a time.
    - Tap the Done button & the import process will begin. This shouldn't take very much time at all.
    - When import is completed, you will return to the Library and can begin enjoying reading. If desired, you can delete the original files since they are no longer needed after the import.

This _should_ be step by step everything you need to do. Some other preferences you might want to look at is Font Size (how large the characters will be), select a different Font (the shape of the letters), and Alignment (how text is justified).

If I missed anything or you have other questions, don't hesitate to ask. Hope you enjoy yourself!
    Last edited by govotsos; 09/20/2011 at 04:16 PM.
    lar3ry likes this.