Page 18 of 46 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes
  1.    #341  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    @jappus Do you think it would be possible to set the default encoding to UTF-8? That seems to be the biggest stumbling block people are running into. They are importing books & they look "wrong" so they get frustrated and say "pReader stinks" because it's really not clear that's what they need to do (and of course they wont read the help ).
    Yeah, I think by this point, my reasoning of "people see that the encoding is wrong with CP-1252, whereas UTF-8 hides it if they use something other than UTF-8 OR CP-1252" is just not working anymore.

Basically, it boils down to this: People who expect UTF-8 and CP-1252 to "just work" usually deal with only those formats and thus have no clue what a character encoding is for. If I set UTF-8 as the default, those people will be happy.

Of course, those that DON'T use UTF-8/CP-1252 will now stop seeing junk immediately, but they should notice "missing characters". And since they are used to the concept of what a character encoding is, they will understand this much more readily.

So, in short: In the next version, UTF-8 will be the default.
  2.    #342  
    Quote Originally Posted by migu_be View Post
    I tried mobi or epub format, and both just display full width of the screen, almost like pure text/html.
    Tried 2 columns view, but not so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by rudramakesmovie View Post
    @Jappus - How do i change the margins? it feels weird to read from edge to edge.. In general - i'm coming from Stanza and Bluefire Reader on the iPad 2 (which I gave to my wife - she loves it)... So i'm comparing to that..
    The answer to both points is: Yes, the pReader does not yet support setting or using margins. The reason was that this particular feature was actually detrimental to reading on a smartphone. If your page is only some 400 pixels wide, you don't want to waste 100 pixels as margin.

Anyway, I've just added the option to enable margins (and auto-enable them if in Two-Page Rendering mode) to my ToDo list. It's a reasonably simple feature and so it should be in the next version.

And if we're already speaking about the next version: I should be able to release the next version in a few days. I just have to fix one nasty bug (libxml2 does not like working in multiple threads on ARM) and a few small features to add, and then I'll be ready to release it.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    oh goody!!! I can't wait. Who needs Kindle when we have this

Alan
  4.    #344  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    Maybe this works better with plain text because I have not had any success in opening school text books . I got one opened and it was so slow and buggy and now nothing shows up in the file browser. No folders or anything and if I go to root I get stuck there. Tried epub and mobi. Files are about 10mb and open fine on android phone .
    Can you send me the file that wasn't imported right? Without a file, I can't replicate the bug well enough to actually fix it.

Just drop me a PM and I'll send you my current E-mail address.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Awesome news on the new version, here's hoping it can load a huge library

Thanks again!
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Is there a preferred/best format for preader native? (calibre saves the day)
    Thanks for the program. It's good to have a book reader on the touchpad : )
  8. rlb
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    How do we update to the new version when it comes out?
    Quote Originally Posted by bonfilio View Post
    Is there a preferred/best format for preader native? (calibre saves the day)
    I wouldn't call it a preferred format, but I've had real good luck with files from Project Gutenberg in ePub with images. ePub & eReader (pdb) seem to work the best IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlb View Post
    How do we update to the new version when it comes out?
    You can either tap on the Sourceforge link in the first post or through preware. In preware, an update should appear in the "Available Updates" group when an update has been posted to the feeds.
    I imported my books now its stuck on loading library 0%
    @Jappus have you got your hands on a touchpad yet? If not you really should contact developer relations for a developer device. Be sure to explain your current preader in catalog and how you are working on native version. And link em to this thread. You will surely qualify!

https://developer.palm.com/content/r...e_program.html

if you don't have luck there maybe even send Lisa Brewster a direct email.
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHands View Post
    I imported my books now its stuck on loading library 0%
    Did you do select all to import or just select 1 to import? Apparently the current version has a problem with importing LOTS of books at once. I've had good luck with importing 200 at a time. If you're importing many books at once, try just a few to see if it's the import too many issue or if you have books that pReader is having issues with.
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    Did you do select all to import or just select 1 to import? Apparently the current version has a problem with importing LOTS of books at once. I've had good luck with importing 200 at a time. If you're importing many books at once, try just a few to see if it's the import too many issue or if you have books that pReader is having issues with.
    Yes I did, how do I go about starting fresh? I reinstalled and its still doing the same thing.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Possible bugette?

If I browse the library and I have a lot of books, the last 2 or three only get displayed when I scroll up. When I let go, the display "bounces" back and I can't see the last 2 or 3.

Is this normal bahaviour? ANyone else seeing this?

Alan
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHands View Post
    Yes I did, how do I go about starting fresh? I reinstalled and its still doing the same thing.
    If you ininstall the program and delete this directory "appdata/com.mhwsoft.preader-native/.library" everything should be gone & you can start fresh. A reset after deleting wouldn't hurt.
  17.    #357  
    Quote Originally Posted by hydin View Post
    Awesome news on the new version, here's hoping it can load a huge library
    I've just tested my internal development version and bulk-loaded 650 Gutenberg ePub documents in one go. It took a bit less than 5 minutes and every book was then displayed in the library and every book I tried to open actually opened!

So, in other words: The next version will be much improved.

Now, the only issue I need to fix is that loading the library list itself with over 650 entries now takes several seconds. Well, one more ToDo for the version after the next one. The fun never stops...

Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    @Jappus have you got your hands on a touchpad yet? If not you really should contact developer relations for a developer device. Be sure to explain your current preader in catalog and how you are working on native version. And link em to this thread. You will surely qualify!

https://developer.palm.com/content/r...e_program.html

if you don't have luck there maybe even send Lisa Brewster a direct email.
    Actually, I have already gotten a developer Pre2 phone that way. Originally I intended to wait until I have replaced the pReader version in the App Catalog with the native version, before bugging them for a Developer-TouchPad (or buying one myself).

But since the TPs production run will be mercilessly short, this plan is of course somewhat obsolete.

I'll think about what to do in the next few days and then we'll see. But in the end, asking doesn't cost me anything.

Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    Possible bugette?

If I browse the library and I have a lot of books, the last 2 or three only get displayed when I scroll up. When I let go, the display "bounces" back and I can't see the last 2 or 3.

Is this normal bahaviour? ANyone else seeing this?
    Normal, no.

This bug was already reported by some other users and is already on my ToDo list for the next version. Most likely it's just an issue of me reporting the actually number of entries in the list wrong, so it should be an easy-fix.
    rudramakesmovie likes this.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I'm getting an error message on an HP Touchpad, I've attached a log file. This happens when I try and open the app for the first time. I'm running 0.9.10.

Error: FILE ERROR: Couldn't create library directory/media/internal/appdata/com.mhwsoft.preader-native/.library

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by larizzo; 09/13/2011 at 08:02 AM.
    garynetfirms likes this.
    hi Jappus,

Perhaps you might partner up with Overdrive - they are the company that does library lending of eBooks in the US using the Adobe DRM. Since there isn't an app right now on the Touchpad for that - perhaps they might be interested in what you are doing?
    --
    Rudra
    follow me on twitter - twitter.com/rudra_banerji
  20.    #360  
    Quote Originally Posted by rudramakesmovie View Post
    hi Jappus,

Perhaps you might partner up with Overdrive - they are the company that does library lending of eBooks in the US using the Adobe DRM. Since there isn't an app right now on the Touchpad for that - perhaps they might be interested in what you are doing?
    Well, it's always worth a try, but there are a few things that might hinder that approach: From trivial things like me not being a US-citizen (nor even living in the US, nor even wanting to. ), to medium things like me having precious little amounts of spare time to develop the pReader, to more serious things like the fact that the pReader is GPLed and thus, if they share the decryption code with me, they share it with the world.

Asking doesn't hurt, but I wouldn't get my hopes up, if I were you.