Page 17 of 46 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SavalBork View Post
    From what I am seeing (reading), a lot of people seem to have good luck with the epub format. Sadly, as a Kindle owner, most of my books are in mobi format- and I have yet to find a "reliable" batch conversion program that I like. I am, however, glad to hear that you got your issue sorted out.
    Well, even though I know you don't like Calibre for some reason, my recommendation would be to use it for converting between book formats. To convert is simplicity itself... drag/drop one or more books. They will show up at the top of the list. Select them, click on 'Convert', and when the 'Jobs' spinner stops, Right-click the selected books and delete specific formats of books. Done.

I have never had a problem with Calibre.
    can you tell me what the app id is for the native version of preader - i am trying to see if it will open in a glimpse window as a widget

thanks
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    can you tell me what the app id is for the native version of preader - i am trying to see if it will open in a glimpse window as a widget

thanks
    I'm not on a webOS device right now, but it's easy to get. Open preware, go to installed apps, open the pReader native entry. Scroll past the description & you'll see the app id near the bottom.
    Quote Originally Posted by lar3ry View Post
    Well, even though I know you don't like Calibre for some reason, my recommendation would be to use it for converting between book formats. To convert is simplicity itself... drag/drop one or more books. They will show up at the top of the list. Select them, click on 'Convert', and when the 'Jobs' spinner stops, Right-click the selected books and delete specific formats of books. Done.

This is pretty much how I use Calibre. Even if you don't use it for anything else, it basically fixes the problem of loading files in pReader.
    hi jappus,
    first of all thanks for all the work you put into this app.
    I started another thread called Touchpad and Calibre where I discussed what I was trying to do.
    In a nutshell, trying to use the web server capabilities of Calibre to download books into my TP selectively.
    First try, th browser tried to download the file but immediately stopped and did not download
    I learned here that there is some sort of bug regarding downloading files from password protected sites. So I removed the password protection and lo and behold it downloaded.
    Now, when I tried to open the file pReader gave me an error saying it could not open the file "failed to open file".
    Next I connected my TP to my computer and saw that the file was saved with all spaces between words replaced with '%20' ( Infinity%20Beach%20-%20Jack%20McDevitt_3799.epub) I edited the name and put the spaces back, went back to pReader, and it opened fine.
    Any idea why preader is not accepting the modified name with the %20 in it?

Regards

MA
    @MiamiArch Does this mean I can stop trying to figure out why the web page isn't working?
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    @MiamiArch Does this mean I can stop trying to figure out why the web page isn't working?
    you can start figuring out why the password protection messes the downloads!! :-P
  8. rlb
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Is the version in Preware the same as the latest one at sourceforge? It looks like they both are ver. 0.9.10. If they are the same, is it easier to install from Preware?

I have had issues where work done with Calibre, doesn't actually change the files, even though the program continues to say that it does. For example, if I am organizing a collection, and deleting unwanted books, it will tell me that it has done so, however, when I close the program and look in the directories, the books I deleted are still there. And, not only did I make sure that I wasn't just telling Calebre to remove them from the program's library, the program warned me that the delete was permanent, and the files themselves would be gone. Perhaps I need to use it only as a conversion tool, and not for library management.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SavalBork View Post
    I have had issues where work done with Calibre, doesn't actually change the files, even though the program continues to say that it does. For example, if I am organizing a collection, and deleting unwanted books, it will tell me that it has done so, however, when I close the program and look in the directories, the books I deleted are still there. And, not only did I make sure that I wasn't just telling Calebre to remove them from the program's library, the program warned me that the delete was permanent, and the files themselves would be gone. Perhaps I need to use it only as a conversion tool, and not for library management.
    Hmm... well, I am fairly new to Calibre (6 months or so), so it's possible a previous bug bit you and was fixed by the time I started using it. For example, a bug fix was reported in a version issued in July 2010 that stated:

"Fix problems with a few windows installs caused by the upgrade to Qt 4.6.3 in the previous release. These would manifest as a not working Add Books button, or deletes not actually deleting files, etc."

For reference, I am currently using version 0.8.17.

Ooops! Actually, I am running 0.8.6, but will be updating to 0.8.17 tonight. I see the release notes "New Features" states:

"Driver for HTC Evo and HP TouchPad (with kindle app)"

I don't use the Kindle app, but it's interesting that he is at least aware of the Touchpad. He's quite receptive to suggestions and bug reports.
    Last edited by lar3ry; 09/08/2011 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Additional info.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlb View Post
    Is the version in Preware the same as the latest one at sourceforge? It looks like they both are ver. 0.9.10. If they are the same, is it easier to install from Preware?
    It really doesn't make much difference. If you use the link in the first post, when you tap on the .ipk, either Internalz or preware will pop up & you tap Install to install. If you use preware alone, you open preware, search for pReader, tap on the pReader entry, tap on Install to install.

The advantage of using the link in the first post is that it often gets updated, sometimes more than once, before being submitted to preware. To me, it's also easier because it just takes a total of 3 taps to install & nothing else.
    @jappus Do you think it would be possible to set the default encoding to UTF-8? That seems to be the biggest stumbling block people are running into. They are importing books & they look "wrong" so they get frustrated and say "pReader stinks" because it's really not clear that's what they need to do (and of course they wont read the help ). I don't know how many threads I've posted directions to change encoding for each already imported books and the default setting. If the users are willing to stick it out and try changing encoding, they usually come back and report a much more favorable experience.

I wonder if it might help to put a button in the Library screen that directly opens the help? I don't know why, but it seems like some users just don't think to open the menu and find the Help. They've gotten used to all on-screen interfaces and looking in the menu doesn't seem to be the automatic response on mobile systems.

I know a cleaner interface is preferable, but maybe this small additional "clutter" might be worth it if it helps users get a better experience easier.
    Hello hello

I was trying to configure Preader on the Touchpad to look like the Kindle view ( Keep normal reading page layout, and get 2 pages in portrait mode).

ex kindle view :

I tried mobi or epub format, and both just display full width of the screen, almost like pure text/html.
    Tried 2 columns view, but not so good.

Any ideas ?
    tx
    Okay - some success here..

TouchPad 3.0.2
    pReader Native Alpha (from preware)
    Calibre 0.8.17
    Dropbox for going back and forth

I converted my ePub to PDB (Output format: PDB dropdown in upper right corner of Calibre Convert Dialog box)

On the Left hand side of the dialog box select "PDB output" and select "ereader" for "Format"

that yielded snappy and and decent results...

@Jappus - How do i change the margins? it feels weird to read from edge to edge.. In general - i'm coming from Stanza and Bluefire Reader on the iPad 2 (which I gave to my wife - she loves it)... So i'm comparing to that..
    --
    Rudra
    follow me on twitter - twitter.com/rudra_banerji
    @Jappus - another quick note

Any idea or plan to maybe interface with the Adobe DRM? I know Bluefire Reader does it directly and then people could use the Touchpad with Overdrive (which is the library lending system).

I'd be happy to help test that..

thanks again for your super hard work!
    --
    Rudra
    follow me on twitter - twitter.com/rudra_banerji
    Ooops! Actually, I am running 0.8.6, but will be updating to 0.8.17 tonight. I see the release notes "New Features" states:

"Driver for HTC Evo and HP TouchPad (with kindle app)"

I don't use the Kindle app, but it's interesting that he is at least aware of the Touchpad. He's quite receptive to suggestions and bug reports.
    Thanks, I will update and give it another try, as soon as I finally give up on getting the mobi format working, which remains my first choice. Best of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by rudramakesmovie View Post
    @Jappus - How do i change the margins? it feels weird to read from edge to edge.. In general - i'm coming from Stanza and Bluefire Reader on the iPad 2 (which I gave to my wife - she loves it)... So i'm comparing to that..
    Right now, you can't. That's a feature that's still under development. Jappus discussed it several posts back.
    Quote Originally Posted by rudramakesmovie View Post
    @Jappus - another quick note

Any idea or plan to maybe interface with the Adobe DRM? I know Bluefire Reader does it directly and then people could use the Touchpad with Overdrive (which is the library lending system).

I'd be happy to help test that..

thanks again for your super hard work!
    Adobe Digital Editions DRM support isn't planned for a while, if ever. The licensing code is closed and jappus has no way to write for the unknown - he's good, but he's not psychic

In the meantime, I'm trying to do some research to see what might be possible (if anything) to support ADEPT.
  19.    #339  
    Quote Originally Posted by MiamiArch View Post
    Now, when I tried to open the file pReader gave me an error saying it could not open the file "failed to open file".
    Next I connected my TP to my computer and saw that the file was saved with all spaces between words replaced with '%20' ( Infinity%20Beach%20-%20Jack%20McDevitt_3799.epub) I edited the name and put the spaces back, went back to pReader, and it opened fine.
    Any idea why preader is not accepting the modified name with the %20 in it?
    Yep, I can.

The current native alpha uses the filename to generate the internal ID of the book you want to read. This ID is then used to determine the folder-name to use for storing the book's data. As you might imagine, some libraries have problems with folders that have special characters like "%" signs in them.

I've just fixed that issue. Now, the pReader will sanitize the ID more thoroughly.
  20.    #340  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlb View Post
    In short: Yes.

They are identical. The Sourceforge download is basically just there for people that actually want the ipk separately from any homebrew download manager.