Page 16 of 46 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hydin View Post
    Well, made sure I was using the one from the first post, and ~350 books takes roughly 17 mins and some change to get in there.

When I close the program out, it shows the library etc, but when I go to load the program it just hands on library loading. Very weird.

Might be something with my touchpad too though, I haven't tweaked it out much, just the beginner stuff that's on touchpadplus.com before you get to the new kernels and all that overclocking jazz.

I will dig through the posts and see if I can find the one about the log file, and load it up here. Who knows, it might help things
    It's post #250 on page 13
    @jappus I sent you a PM
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Sure, that behaviour is an old legacy feature from back when the pReader only ran on phones that could be easily turned.

Basically, the issue was that some screens looked really, really bad in landscape mode, so I forced the upright position for most screens and never really got around to fix that. Anyway, it's now on my ToDo for the next release.
    You're a star. Looking forward to it.

Do you have a "donate" button or something? I'm happy to pay for this reader.

Alan
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post

I hope this makes things clearer & not just more confusing
    Great, detailed answer, thank you very much. I had no idea that WebOS was so truncated, as compared to, well, most PC operating systems. I guess my next task is to find Internalz; I tried looking for it in the app catalog the other day, but met with no success. Now that you've given me such great direction, I'm sure to figure it all out. It is kind of a bummer that WebOS doesn't have a more robust file association system and file structure. I must admit to doing very little research on the Touchpad (I was waiting to have a look at the Amazon tablet) before purchasing it (fire-sale made time of the essence). Have a great night.
    @SavalBork Your best bet is to install preware. It's the app that is the portal to homebrew apps, patches, themes and more. You install it from your PC & then can install all the other goodies from preware. The best way to learn how to install preware is to buy the Preware Homebrew Documentation app. It's only $0.99 and it goes to support the cause. Once you get preware installed, install Internalz Pro from there - that version runs full screen on the TouchPad.

What makes you say the file association system is truncated? There are scads of file types supported - most out of the box. You just install an app for more file types or a different way to handle them. With an easy to access central configuration, it seems to be plenty robust to me. Actually better than the PC since I can so easily access the default applications settings.
    Hello. Apologies if this has been mentioned and fixed before, my search looking for an answer did not yield any results.

I am trying to load a epub book from ibooks that is 36 MB. pReader says:

"Failed to Open File
    File you tried to add could not be fetched from disk.........likely due to being to large........pReader has to use Palm's javascript API which refuses to open files beyond size of ~10 MB.....will be fixed as soon as Palm releases the Native SDK"

What did I do wrong?
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    The best way to learn how to install preware is to buy the Preware Homebrew Documentation app. It's only $0.99 and it goes to support the cause. Once you get preware installed, install Internalz Pro from there - that version runs full screen on the TouchPad.
    I didn't realize there was a Preware Docs App. Thanks for the heads-up. I'm not sure how much I need it, but I do want to support the cause.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    http://pastebin.com/wmuRh4bD

Bigger log. Edited it out on my pc instead of the touchpad, so it was a little easier getting the information together.
    Last edited by hydin; 09/02/2011 at 07:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jalpz9 View Post
    Hello. Apologies if this has been mentioned and fixed before, my search looking for an answer did not yield any results.

I am trying to load a epub book from ibooks that is 36 MB. pReader says:

"Failed to Open File
    File you tried to add could not be fetched from disk.........likely due to being to large........pReader has to use Palm's javascript API which refuses to open files beyond size of ~10 MB.....will be fixed as soon as Palm releases the Native SDK"

What did I do wrong?
    You're not doing anything wrong - that's the correct behavior of the non-native version of pReader. If you go to the first post of this thread, you will find a link to Sourceforge. There you will find the latest version of pReader native. If you open your file in this (as long as it doesn't have any DRM) it should work fine,
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    The short gist is: The sorting feature is still substantially broken. It expects metadata in the "old" format, which the "new" pReader does not actually follow anymore. Sometimes it works, sometimes, not. Given all the other nasty bugs I fixed last week (import failures, memory leaks, random crashes, the library not loading at all, etc.) this small tidbit always fell by the wayside.

Just like the autoscrollers which don't actually work in the native alpha because they're not implemented correctly yet.

Anyway, as I said above, I'm on track to fix one bug after another and slowly but surely I squish them all. But as I develop the app pretty much on my own, progress is currently agonizingly slow.
    thanks Jappus. Take your time and keep up the great work.
    What makes you say the file association system is truncated? There are scads of file types supported - most out of the box. You just install an app for more file types or a different way to handle them. With an easy to access central configuration, it seems to be plenty robust to me. Actually better than the PC since I can so easily access the default applications settings.
    I seem to remember reading (in this thread?) that there was no way to associate some file types with their core program (i.e. I click on file with extension A and it automatically opens program B to open it). If this is indeed the case, I have to say that I prefer the Windows way of handling this. Perhaps I misread the comment. Oh, and thanks for the latest answer.
  12.    #312  
    Quote Originally Posted by SavalBork View Post
    I seem to remember reading (in this thread?) that there was no way to associate some file types with their core program (i.e. I click on file with extension A and it automatically opens program B to open it). If this is indeed the case, I have to say that I prefer the Windows way of handling this. Perhaps I misread the comment. Oh, and thanks for the latest answer.
    Well, it used to be that way. In WebOS 1.4.5 and earlier, only Palm programs could register themselves as file handlers. But in WebOS 2.0 and later, every app may do so, if it uses the appropriate calls. At least, that's the last info I got about this topic.

Basically: If it is true, the pReader will at some point register itself for all the extensions it supports; perhaps with the exception of HTML an TXT.
    OK, I followed all advice, finally installed the newest preader, and absolutely nothing has changed, in regards to my initial issue. Preader, in any encoding setting, cannot seem to handle hard returns or apostrophes without inserting strange symbols in their place (and I made sure the newest Preader did indeed install). I can't be the only one continuing to have this issue (can I?). All the books I have tried run perfectly on my PC, using MobiPocketReader, and on my Kindle. I also ran into an issue, with one of the books I tried to load, where it never loads more that the first 4 or 5 pages (again, file is working fine on the PC). Any further suggestions would be appreciated (I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel yet). Thanks all.
    If you have mobi files and it won't load, I suggest doing what I did, and take the "cheating" way out. I loaded Calibre (I'd give you the link, but I need more posts and I'm not spamming my way there) added my .mobi files, and told Calibre to output .epub to a specific location - a folder on the Touchpad. pReader then magically worked!

While it would be nice to keep everything in the same format, I suggest giving in on that point and just making it work. Calibre is free, and very, very full featured.

It's at Calibre-ebook dot com
    OK, I followed all advice, finally installed the newest preader, and absolutely nothing has changed, in regards to my initial issue. Preader, in any encoding setting, cannot seem to handle hard returns or apostrophes without inserting strange symbols in their place (and I made sure the newest Preader did indeed install). I can't be the only one continuing to have this issue (can I?). All the books I have tried run perfectly on my PC, using MobiPocketReader, and on my Kindle. I also ran into an issue, with one of the books I tried to load, where it never loads more that the first 4 or 5 pages (again, file is working fine on the PC). Any further suggestions would be appreciated (I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel yet). Thanks all.
    Can you attach a sample file here? If it's too large, I can PM my email address to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I also had the same issued and just gave up on this app. It said it can open mobi files but yet it took over 4 hours to open which means it converted it and had all sorts of strange symbols .
    Can you also attach a sample file here? Again, if it's too large, I can PM my email address.
    Can you attach a sample file here? If it's too large, I can PM my email address to you.
    I don't want to violate forum rules by posting a book here, but will gladly email you one.

As for Calibre, well, Calibre and I don't see eye to eye anymore, after it #@!$ed up 2 hours of work last month- I really wish that everything running on a Windows platform attempted to use the same standards. Now, if I could find a Calibre lite, that just worked on a folder by folder bases, without trying to archive my system at every damned opportunity...
    I don't want to violate forum rules by posting a book here, but will gladly email you one.

As for Calibre, well, Calibre and I don't see eye to eye anymore, after it #@!$ed up 2 hours of work last month- I really wish that everything running on a Windows platform attempted to use the same standards. Now, if I could find a Calibre lite, that just worked on a folder by folder bases, without trying to archive my system at every damned opportunity...
    Just sent you a PM.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    I had the "only loading part of the book" problem on PReader Native (0.9.10), but was in the middle of reading the same book on the PReader form the HP App site, and didn't want to mess anything up by deleting and reloading the book. At the time, I didn't realize I could have just deleted the book and reloaded it without affecting the copy I was reading. Further books loaded fine into PReader Native.

Other than that one problem, I have not had any problems with PReader Native. For reference, I read epubs, as they work on my Kobo.
    Quote Originally Posted by lar3ry View Post
    Other than that one problem, I have not had any problems with PReader Native. For reference, I read epubs, as they work on my Kobo.
    From what I am seeing (reading), a lot of people seem to have good luck with the epub format. Sadly, as a Kindle owner, most of my books are in mobi format- and I have yet to find a "reliable" batch conversion program that I like. I am, however, glad to hear that you got your issue sorted out.