Page 15 of 46 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes
    @jappus We might start to get a boatload of people here asking a lot of questions. The last few days, I've been going through every thread asking about book readers in general & pReader specifically and giving info about pReader then pointing them here. So far about 15 threads just today I've also been reminding people you're now among the struggling employed & "free" time is limited
    Has someone sent in a sample file yet, showing the corrupted symbols? I can PM or email one, but, as it will not be a public domain file, I wouldn't want to post it. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by SavalBork View Post
    Has someone sent in a sample file yet, showing the corrupted symbols? I can PM or email one, but, as it will not be a public domain file, I wouldn't want to post it. Thanks.
    Not yet. What format & DRM (if any) is the book? Are you having this problem with more than one / all books? Is there anything they have in common like where you got them from? Have you updated to the latest version of pReader in the first post?
    BTW after changing the encoding, did you scroll the text so the change would "take" as suggested in the first post?
    I just want to add my thanks for this program. I use tablets for email, web surfing, and reading books.

I'm glad you have put so much into this and can't imagine why HP didn't give you more support to polish the program. For the Tpad, do you have plans in landscape mode to allow reading two pages on one screen? Also, margin adjustment would be super.
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    BTW after changing the encoding, did you scroll the text so the change would "take" as suggested in the first post?
    I actually tried a second and third book (mobi), after making the change. I don't currently have wi-fi access (I was doing all this from a coffee shop), so cannot auto-check for updates (I will power on the HP now and check version number). The books are from differing locations. Thanks again for your willingness to help, it's very much appreciated.

Damn: Somehow I downloaded ver. 0.8.20; I will grab the latest ASAP; thanks for the tip.
    Last edited by SavalBork; 08/30/2011 at 11:55 PM.
    Ok, I am loading books in pReader Native and am trying to 'Sort By' Author. I go in and add Meta Data for Author and Series to go along with the default of title. However, when I go back to the library page and see my book list, I can't sort by Author or Series.

The only way this seems to work is if I create a Category for each Author and then just show those books.

Does one format work better than another for this? I have tested it with .mobi and .pdb. I use Calibre to convert and manage my library on the pc.

Am I missing a simple step? Thanks in advance.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
    For the Tpad, do you have plans in landscape mode to allow reading two pages on one screen? Also, margin adjustment would be super.
    From the app menu, select preferences, then display, and turn of "Render two pages at once". I found I had to exit the app and start it up again in order for it to 'take'. Looks good though. I'll try using two pages for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Mhhhm, I've looked over it and there are lots of errors that are reported, but none point directly at any one reason for the crash.

The first error I see is during the write-test, where the pReader ascertains that it can write to your USB partition (/media/internal). But the error does not actually point to a reason within the pReader, but rather with some weird error within WebOS itself.

Anyway, the second easily visible error is more specific and occurs right at the end: The pReader tells me that it can't read a specific book. Usually, that should not hurt, but in your case it crashes the application -- and maybe the entire phone.

At that point, did you actually see the pReader GUI and selected the book ("The Stand") yourself, or did the pReader try to automatically open that book?.

Thanks!
    pReader was trying to automatically open that book and then it crashed the entire phone, but next time i tried to read that book i just swiped back until book was loaded and tried to read that book again, no success, app crashed .
    Book loaded well in pReader 0.9.8
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Got it reinstalled, added a single directory (~350 books), and it seems to take a long while to load them (few hours), and it shows them afterwards.

When I close the program and open it later, it never moves past 0% on "Loading Library".

Any ideas on if I am doing anything wrong, or is there a limit of books you can have in the library?

Appreciate any help
    Quote Originally Posted by hydin View Post
    Got it reinstalled, added a single directory (~350 books), and it seems to take a long while to load them (few hours), and it shows them afterwards.

When I close the program and open it later, it never moves past 0% on "Loading Library".

Any ideas on if I am doing anything wrong, or is there a limit of books you can have in the library?

Appreciate any help
    Do you have the latest version installed from the Sourceforge link in the first post? Importing books shouldn't take that long. I import in chunks of 200 books & it takes less than 5 minutes. Try just importing 1 book & see if that works and then try a small batch & see if that works. A few posts back, jappus gives the directions for retrieving the log. If you get to a number of books that fail, can you retrieve & post the log?
    gyasih likes this.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Not sure if its been asked but can you keep the index orientation the same as reading? I do most of my stuff in landscape mode and having to turn my TouchPad around to select another book is a bit naff.

thanks

alan
  13.    #293  
    Quote Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
    For the Tpad, do you have plans in landscape mode to allow reading two pages on one screen? Also, margin adjustment would be super.
    Your first point was already answered, but for completeness sake: Go into the preferences screen, open the "Display" fold and simply toggle on "Enable Two-Page Rendering".

As for the second question: At the moment, margin adjustment isn't possible, but just like with text-colour, size and so on, it can be done, if I just implemented that feature. Basically, everything that can be done with CSS on div-tags (use Google/Wikipedia if you don't know what that is, but want to know ) is possible in the pReader.

The only problem is: Someone has to implement it, and as Govotsos has kindly pointed out, I have only a few hours every week to work on the pReader, as the rest is spent on my "real" () work, furnishing my new apartment and occasionally actually going out and meeting people.

In other words: If someone volunteers to implement a specific feature, or help out in general, I would gladly welcome him or her. After all, there's a reason why I GPL-ed the blasted thing to begin with.

Otherwise, the features will eventually come ... with the "eventually" boiling down to "sometime before the sun burns out" for some features.
  14.    #294  
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    Ok, I am loading books in pReader Native and am trying to 'Sort By' Author. I go in and add Meta Data for Author and Series to go along with the default of title. However, when I go back to the library page and see my book list, I can't sort by Author or Series
    The short gist is: The sorting feature is still substantially broken. It expects metadata in the "old" format, which the "new" pReader does not actually follow anymore. Sometimes it works, sometimes, not. Given all the other nasty bugs I fixed last week (import failures, memory leaks, random crashes, the library not loading at all, etc.) this small tidbit always fell by the wayside.

Just like the autoscrollers which don't actually work in the native alpha because they're not implemented correctly yet.

Anyway, as I said above, I'm on track to fix one bug after another and slowly but surely I squish them all. But as I develop the app pretty much on my own, progress is currently agonizingly slow.
  15.    #295  
    Quote Originally Posted by alexandrius View Post
    pReader was trying to automatically open that book and then it crashed the entire phone, but next time i tried to read that book i just swiped back until book was loaded and tried to read that book again, no success, app crashed .
    Book loaded well in pReader 0.9.8
    Could you send me the file in question, so that I can check whether there has or hasn't been a nasty regression in the import code?

Just drop me a PM and I'll give you my E-Mail address, so that you don't have to publish the file anywhere public.
  16.    #296  
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    Not sure if its been asked but can you keep the index orientation the same as reading? I do most of my stuff in landscape mode and having to turn my TouchPad around to select another book is a bit naff.
    Sure, that behaviour is an old legacy feature from back when the pReader only ran on phones that could be easily turned.

Basically, the issue was that some screens looked really, really bad in landscape mode, so I forced the upright position for most screens and never really got around to fix that. Anyway, it's now on my ToDo for the next release.
    From the app menu, select preferences, then display, and turn of "Render two pages at once". I found I had to exit the app and start it up again in order for it to 'take'. Looks good though.

I had both the Webstore and Alpha versions installed. Once I switched to the Alpha Native version I saw the preference on page view.

Thanks again for all your effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    Do you have the latest version installed from the Sourceforge link in the first post? Importing books shouldn't take that long. I import in chunks of 200 books & it takes less than 5 minutes. Try just importing 1 book & see if that works and then try a small batch & see if that works. A few posts back, jappus gives the directions for retrieving the log. If you get to a number of books that fail, can you retrieve & post the log?
    Could you please direct me to a thread that explains how to install the mime file that I find (from the Touchpad, not PC) on Sourceforge? I have seen many unhelpful comments on MIME handling, but none that actually helps me install this particular file. I would really like to get this update installed. Thanks very much.
    Could you please direct me to a thread that explains how to install the mime file that I find (from the Touchpad, not PC) on Sourceforge? I have seen many unhelpful comments on MIME handling, but none that actually helps me install this particular file. I would really like to get this update installed. Thanks very much.
    I'm not sure what you mean by installing a MIME type in this instance, but I think you're asking how to install the pReader installation file on SourceForge.

To install it, you will need to have preware or Internalz installed on your TouchPad. If Internalz is the only one of those you have installed, open the preferences for Internalz and down near the bottom you'll see a section labeled Register Internalz as file handler for .ipk. Enable that. After this discussion, I'll explain this at the end - this relates to MIME types.

Now, tap on the Sourceforge link in the first post. On the page that opens, tap on the file with the highest version number (currently 0.9.10). After you tap on the file, preware (or Internalz) will open. Tap the install button & you now have the latest version of pReader native installed.

Now about those MIME types. MIME types are basically descriptors of how a host is to handle external file types. Since webOS is essentially a glorified web browser, it uses similar functionality but calling it default applications. You can see what default applications are set on your TouchPad by running the Device Info app, pulling down the menu, and selecting Default Applications.

On that screen you will see all the file types and their handlers. You'll see that some are light & some are black. The light ones you can't change because there is only one app installed that is registered to handle that file type. The ones that are black, you have at least two apps installed that are registered to handle that file type. Tap on one and you can select which app you wish to be default on the next screen. That is what we did above when we enabled Internalz to be a handler for .ipk files - it can now be designated as the default handler if you choose. BTW ipk files are the installation package files for apps - think of them as setup.exe for webOS.

A little more about file types. In the default apps list you'll see entries for many file types like html, gif, txt, etc. You wont find any for pdb, ePub, mobi, or any of the formats supported by pReader. _That's_ why if you tap on a book file (like as an email attachment) you'll get that error message about no handler for the file type. What you need to do, instead, is save the book file to the TouchPad then import it into pReader using the add books to the library function.

I hope this makes things clearer & not just more confusing
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Well, made sure I was using the one from the first post, and ~350 books takes roughly 17 mins and some change to get in there.

When I close the program out, it shows the library etc, but when I go to load the program it just hands on library loading. Very weird.

Might be something with my touchpad too though, I haven't tweaked it out much, just the beginner stuff that's on touchpadplus.com before you get to the new kernels and all that overclocking jazz.

I will dig through the posts and see if I can find the one about the log file, and load it up here. Who knows, it might help things