Page 13 of 46 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 917
Like Tree43Likes
  1. #241  
    So initially I was able to load my huge ebook collection (600+ .epubs) into pReader. Now when I go in there is nothing there and I can't even go in an load a single book from my collection? Any ideas? I've reinstalled the program, but it still doesn't work.

    Thanks!
  2. jckatz's Avatar
    Posts
    139 Posts
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    #242  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Could you use InternalZ, copy out the "/var/log/messages" file and post it here? It should contain the logs generated by the pReader frontend and backend -- plus logs from all the other apps and internal WebOS services. So, if you want to keep the file size down, you can simply delete all lines that don't contain the phrase "preader".

    Thanks!
    I am also using a PIXI and I get instant crash. The program loads OK, giving me the 3 OKS then it loads the book I am reading (but only black background no text) then it restarts.

    So I e-mailed myself the message file and searched for preader and just reader and came up with zero results.

    Just to make sure is this was it is supposed to look like
    2011-08-24T15:54:18.218528Z [58206] palm-webos-device user.emerg java: {com.palm.telephony.TelephonyServer}: [NITZ-TIMING] [nanotime = 58206422337873] enqueue of TIL message (normal) at system time 1314201258
    2011-08-24T15:54:18.232166Z [58206] palm-webos-device user.info powerd: {powerd}: POWERD-ACTIVITY: PowerdActivityStart: (com.palm.telephony.tel.networktimenotification-1) for 10000ms => true
    2011-08-24T15:54:18.307418Z [58206] palm-webos-device user.emerg java: {com.palm.telephony.TelephonyServer}: FunctionNetworkTime::execute: [NITZ-TIMING] [nanotime = 58206506132873] [system time in Java is: 1314201258] TIMESTAMP retrieved: 1314201258
    2011-08-24T15:54:18.317705Z [58206] palm-webos-device user.warning LunaSysService: NITZ message received from Telephony Service: {"mnc":"0","hour":"15","dst":"1","origin":"nitz","mon":"7","mcc":"310","mday":"24","timevalid":true, "sec":"18","min":"54","offset":"-360","timestamp":1314201258,"tzvalid":true,"dstvalid":true,"year":"111"}
    2011-08-24T15:54:18.318135Z [58206] palm-webos-device user.notice LunaSysService: MCC code: 310, Offset: -360, DstValue: 1, TZ Entry:
    2011-08-24T15:54:18.318353Z [58206] palm-webos-device user.notice LunaSysService: Found match in first iteration: { "Country": "United States of America", "CountryCode": "US", "ZoneID": "America\/Chicago", "City": "Chicago", "Description": "Central Time", "offsetFromUTC": -360, "supportsDST": 1, "preferred": true }
    2011-08-24T15:54:18.493626Z [58206] palm-webos-device user.warning LunaSysService: PrefsDb::setPref(): set ( [timeZone] , [---, length 202] )
    2011-08-24T15:54:18.494049Z [58206] palm-webos-device user.warning LunaSysService: systemSetTimeZone(): Setting Time Zone: America/Chicago, utc Offset: -360
    2011-08-24T15:54:18.514471Z [58206] palm-webos-device user.warning LunaSysService: TZ env is now [America/Chicago]
  3. #243  
    Can someone please tell me where I put the files on my TouchPad? Do I just like make a folder called "Books" and put the ePub inside?
  4. jckatz's Avatar
    Posts
    139 Posts
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    #244  
    Josh you should be able to put it anywhere under media/internals webos creates an index and preader will find anything epub mobi etc. No matter it's location

    -- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
  5. #245  
    been o so far, i do get a sort of blinking/flickering of text sometimes even when not moving, froze just once, and when my device went into exhibition mode and i went back to the reader my page was blank and wouldnt redraw, had to rerun.

    its good tho, read all the types of book i have, havent tried plain text yet weirdly enough, cant see that 1 being an issue.
  6. #246  
    Quote Originally Posted by joshwithachance View Post
    Can someone please tell me where I put the files on my TouchPad? Do I just like make a folder called "Books" and put the ePub inside?
    If you are using pReader (NOT pReader native) you can put the files any where in /media/internal or any subdirectory of that. When you go to add a book, pReader (NOT native) will find them wherever they are.

    If you are running pReader native (NOT just plain pReader), it uses a different file picker. Put all of your books in a subdirectory of /media/internal. When you go to add a book, pReader will present you with a file tree. Navigate to the directory you placed your files in. Select the files you want to import & import.

    For both versions of pReader, after the book is impoerted, you can delete the source file - the file you copied to the phone. It's no longer needed & will just take up space.
  7. alan sh's Avatar
    Posts
    766 Posts
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    #247  
    I like this app. It's much faster at importing and more responsive. When is the next version coming out?

    Alan
  8. #248  
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    I like this app. It's much faster at importing and more responsive. When is the next version coming out?

    Alan
    Your first question should be "is development of this fine product is continuing in current conditions and if so THANK YOU for doing so." webOS devs are a precious commodity these days & must be cherished.

    To your question - when the dev can. He just started a new job at Intel & this is side work. Even so, jappus is great about getting updates out the door
  9.    #249  
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    small bug -- not reall important --i have a day and a night theme -- if i try to change themes the app locks up i have to close the app and re open it
    I'll look into it and check if I can replicate the bug. Basically, I haven't touched the Theming system in a long time, you maybe something broke without me noticing.

    Quote Originally Posted by rluitenracs View Post
    Could you update the sourceforge with updates as well ?
    Sure, it's done now. For some reason I had forgotten to update SF too. Thanks for reminding me.
  10.    #250  
    Quote Originally Posted by kablam0r View Post
    So initially I was able to load my huge ebook collection (600+ .epubs) into pReader. Now when I go in there is nothing there and I can't even go in an load a single book from my collection? Any ideas? I've reinstalled the program, but it still doesn't work.
    Can you post the contents of the /var/log/messages file? You should be able to copy it by using InternalZ. You can discard every line that does not contain the string "pReader", by the way.

    Apart from that, the pReader should have created a folder on your USB partition, namely: "appdata/com.mhwsoft.preader-native/.library".

    This directory should contain the entire data for your library. If you delete it completely, the pReader should start with a new library. But before you stoop to such drastic measures, you should first look at the "library.json" file inside that folder.

    This file should contain all the IDs of all your books, together with the folder each book is stored in. The format should be:
    {<id-book1>:<folder-book1>,<id-book2>:<folder-book2>, [...], <id-bookN>:<folder-bookN>}

    If it doesn't follow that format, something is broken and I'm even more interested in what the logs show.


    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    I like this app. It's much faster at importing and more responsive. When is the next version coming out?
    Soon-ish. The new release has uncovered a lot of bugs, most likely due to the large influx of new user.

    But as Govotsos has pointed out, I'm now not a student anymore, and thus my spare time is even less than it used to be when I still wrote my diploma thesis.

    Anyway, as soon as I've found and fixed the mos gregarious bugs, I'll release v0.9.11. As soon as the bugs are gone, I'll implement the last missing features from the old Javascript version (mostly the autoscrollers). As soon as that's done, I'll bump the version to v1.0.0 and release the native app into the App Catalog.

    Quote Originally Posted by jckatz View Post
    I am also using a PIXI and I get instant crash. The program loads OK, giving me the 3 OKS then it loads the book I am reading (but only black background no text) then it restarts.

    So I e-mailed myself the message file and searched for preader and just reader and came up with zero results.
    Mhhhm, that's really strange, and your excerpt indeed does not contain any log from the pReader back-end. That's really strange.

    Could you try to rename the library directory I mentioned above and then check if it resolves the crash, as that will force the pReader to initialize a new, blank library?

    Thanks!
  11. #251  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    Have you tried alternate Code Pages? For English documents, I usually get readable results with UTF-8 & CP-1252. Also, double check your source material - it might be garbled already - GIGO.
    Huh, I did just this myself, with no luck. By the way, this app is VERY much appreciated; big thanks to the dev. I hope you like your new job.
  12. hydin's Avatar
    Posts
    18 Posts
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    #252  
    Well, got it installed, and I have something like 3600 epubs I was going to load into the library.

    I decided to chance it and let it load, and now the program loads up and says "Loading library" and it stays at 0%.

    So.. obviously loading in almost 4000 epubs was probably a bad idea

    Should I uninstall and reinstall the program and try it a few hundred at a time?

    Is there a way to just select a few files instead of all? That might work out easier than moving the touchpad from pc again and again.

    Love the program, just looking for the easiest way to get the thing working
  13. #253  
    Quote Originally Posted by hydin View Post
    Well, got it installed, and I have something like 3600 epubs I was going to load into the library.

    I decided to chance it and let it load, and now the program loads up and says "Loading library" and it stays at 0%.

    So.. obviously loading in almost 4000 epubs was probably a bad idea

    Should I uninstall and reinstall the program and try it a few hundred at a time?

    Is there a way to just select a few files instead of all? That might work out easier than moving the touchpad from pc again and again.

    Love the program, just looking for the easiest way to get the thing working

    haha I did the same thing, only for me it was a little over 1600. I went back to appdata, and all the titles were listed, but the .json file was empty; so I killed the .library folder's contents.

    It took a hellacious long time to do, and we are idjits for doing it, and I don't think any reasonable person would complain if it did the library import in 50 or 100 or whatever-book-batches.

    I write and the easiest way to edit is to read it like the user would. Before ereaders that meant printing gobs of paper. Now I save it, Calibre it, and just read it.

    I can't tell you how much easier that makes things.

    If the finished version isn't going to cost money, perhaps you could put an in-app donation option so I can support the dev.
  14. #254  
    Is there any way to change the regions to tap for page-turning? It seems that this uses top & bottom for previous & next page. The Kindle app uses the left and right side, and on the Touchpad at least, that works better, as far as I'm concerned.
  15.    #255  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Is there any way to change the regions to tap for page-turning? It seems that this uses top & bottom for previous & next page. The Kindle app uses the left and right side, and on the Touchpad at least, that works better, as far as I'm concerned.
    Just added this feature to my todo list. It's trivially easy to implement and will appear in the next release.

    By the way, instead of tapping, you can also activate swiping to execute page-changes. This will, in the meantime, hopefully address your issue at least somewhat. That way, it's really a bit like page-turning.

    Quote Originally Posted by orthosophy View Post
    [ ... Loading up many books ... ]
    haha I did the same thing, only for me it was a little over 1600. I went back to appdata, and all the titles were listed, but the .json file was empty; so I killed the .library folder's contents.
    Yeah, I just identified a bug in the way the pReader handles the index.json file.

    But instead of fixing the bug, I've simply decided to remove the need for the file completely. It's, afterall, mostly pointles as it just mirrors the filesystem structure anyway, and directory listing accesses on the TouchPad flash memory are really cheap anyway.

    So basically, if everything worksout right, the next version will be capable of managing as many files as you desire.

    If the finished version isn't going to cost money, perhaps you could put an in-app donation option so I can support the dev.
    There already is one, it's just hidden a bit.

    Just open the changelog screen and scroll down. In there, you'll find a link to donate.


    Quote Originally Posted by hydin View Post
    Is there a way to just select a few files instead of all? That might work out easier than moving the touchpad from pc again and again.
    Sure, just tap on the books you want to import. They will get marked in bold. Then, just hit enter when you're satisfied with the selection and the pReader will only import the books you highlighted.

    And if you want to highlight an entire subdirectory, just tap&hold the directory name. But do note that this will import everything in that directory and all its subdirectories.


    But as I said above, the next version should not have these problems of importing many books anymore.
    zappcatt likes this.
  16. #256  
    Just wondering if I am still the only one having trouble with symbols being inserted for apostrophes and such, even after changing to UTF-8 & CP-1252 and starting from a clean source? Thanks.
  17. #257  
    Quote Originally Posted by SavalBork View Post
    Just wondering if I am still the only one having trouble with symbols being inserted for apostrophes and such, even after changing to UTF-8 & CP-1252 and starting from a clean source? Thanks.
    I have this problem. I just loaded my first book ever, Ghost in the Wires, and i see lots of symbols all over. I tried changing to utf-8 too
    Touchpad, webOS 3.0.2, f15c eagle 1.728GHz
    iPhone 3GS 4.3.3 jailbroken
  18. #258  
    Thanks for this, Jappus! I do have one problem. I've set up Calibre on my PC to auto-email a few of my magazines so I can just pick them up on my TouchPad. However, when I try to download the .epub from my email, I get "File Format Not Supported". Is there a way to associate the filetype with pReader? I'm using the Native Alpha version.
  19. #259  
    Quote Originally Posted by dixter View Post
    Thanks for this, Jappus! I do have one problem. I've set up Calibre on my PC to auto-email a few of my magazines so I can just pick them up on my TouchPad. However, when I try to download the .epub from my email, I get "File Format Not Supported". Is there a way to associate the filetype with pReader? I'm using the Native Alpha version.
    When you tap on the attachment the first time, it downloads it. When you tap the second time, it tries to load the file with the associated app. That's, obviously, not working.

    What you want to do is, after downloading the attachment, use a file manager like Internalz or Gemini to move the file to wherever you store your book files. The downloaded attachment should be in /media/internals/downloads.
  20. #260  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    When you tap on the attachment the first time, it downloads it. When you tap the second time, it tries to load the file with the associated app. That's, obviously, not working.

    What you want to do is, after downloading the attachment, use a file manager like Internalz or Gemini to move the file to wherever you store your book files. The downloaded attachment should be in /media/internals/downloads.
    Thank you!

Posting Permissions