Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes
  1.    #201  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    Jappus,

I emailed you some mobi drm books to your student account. I hope it's still active. If not, PM your current email.
    Thanks, I have received them and have used them to cross-check the fixes I was able to do with the file another user (VeeDubb65) sent me.

All files that I have now cleanly import. I've even fixed a bug that was inherited from the old JSJSJS $implementation$, $which$ $occasionally$ $caused$ $broken$ $tags$ $and$ $weird$ $junk$ $to$ $appear$ $in$ $the$ $middle$ $of$ $the$ $text$.

Now, only a few small bugs remain, before I'll release the next native alpha version. And with it, we'll have moved that much closer to a full release of the native app in the official App Catalog.

Basically, only one big bug (the missing pages one), one small feature (global encoding selection), one format (FictionBook2) and the auto-scrollers are missing.

Thing are looking brighter by the minute.
    Can I get some clarification on the different Drm formats? I see mobi drm called out specifically. However the drm files I have are downloaded from a public library. Adobe Digital Editions is used to view them. I'm curious if your upcoming release will work for my ebooks?

Thanks in advance.
  3.    #203  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKhill View Post
    Can I get some clarification on the different Drm formats? I see mobi drm called out specifically. However the drm files I have are downloaded from a public library. Adobe Digital Editions is used to view them. I'm curious if your upcoming release will work for my ebooks?
    There's a plethora of different eBook DRM formats, nearly as many as there are eBook formats themselves!

The pReader already supports the following DRM formats:
    1. eReader DRM; both the old- (per device) and new-style (per-user with credit-card number).
    2. MobiPocket DRM; both per-device and generic keys.
    3. The old Amazon AZW (Amazon Whispernet) DRM, as its MobiPocket DRM with a few additional fields.

The following DRM formats will be supported for sure by a future version of the pReader:
    1. Barnes & Nobles ePub DRM (as its key generation is like the eReader DRM)

The following formats are almost hopeless, though, without someone else first reverse-engineering them (I frankly don't have the time for it):
    1. Adobe ePub DRM
    2. Amazon Whispernet 1 (AZW1) and Topaz DRM (as the format itself, even without DRM, is already proprietary, closed and not freely available or documented)
    3. A short list of other ePub DRM styles, which are almost never used.

The other cases are formats of which I know even less than about Amazon Topaz. So you can kind of guess what the chances of supporting them are.

There's a reason why most people translate the R in DRM not as "Rights" but as "Restrictions"... :P

In short: The DRM format your public library uses is one of the more well known ones, but unfortunately, its key-generation algorithm is secret. Without the key-generator, the best I could do would be to ask the user to extract the key somehow out of the Amazon PC application.

In short: Exactly the way the DRM-stripping programs you can find on the Internet work. For obvious reasons, their methods are not exactly compatible with the way the pReader works.
  4.    #204  
    Just a short heads-up for you guys and gals: I originally wanted to fix the last bug today and release the new alpha version.

But (un)fortunately, I had two ideas for new features which were really, really, really much too good to postpone them. And on top of that, both were really easy to implement, each costing only a few hours of coding.

1. The most important of the two ideas: Page prefetching. The pReader will now silently prefetch the next/previous 5 pages of text in the background for you. Now, you only have to wait roughly 1 second for the first page to render (after a restart or geometry/orientation change), every subsequent page will then render in milliseconds.
      Of course, this feature can be disabled by the user, if it causes any problems, but it's enabled by default.
    2. The second idea is mostly useful for TouchPad users, but can also be enabled for the phones: Two Page Rendering. Basically, it will render the text in two columns, each column being one page.

If you can't imagine what that looks like, here's a preview from my very own Pre2 (Sadly, I don't own a Touchpad yet).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    The second idea is mostly useful for TouchPad users, but can also be enabled for the phones: Two Page Rendering. Basically, it will render the text in two columns, each column being one page.
    I was going to suggest that!!!!! Can't wait to see that on the TP! Thanks Jappus!
    great work I am excited to see your new two ideas into effect. I really hope you get your hands on a TP soon. Haha ironic the only developer developing worthy ereading software for webOS doesn't have a TP. Does the developer discount program work for you in Germany?
    MatterOfFactJack
    Is it possible to add the RezKonv-Format (and/or Mealmaster)? It is a text-based format for recipes. It would be fantastic if I could take my recipes with me when I have to shop. If I have an idea for a meal I could look a recipe up immediately and see what else I need for it.

Thanks
    Andee
  8.    #208  
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    great work I am excited to see your new two ideas into effect. I really hope you get your hands on a TP soon. Haha ironic the only developer developing worthy ereading software for webOS doesn't have a TP. Does the developer discount program work for you in Germany?
    Well, I think it would -- after all they were gracious enough to send me a brand-new Pre2 free of charge, which allowed me to examine WebOS 2 closer. For example, one of the next features that I'm planning to implement, as soon as time allows, is the stacking of multiple books, so you don't have to close one book to read another.

So, I guess I can also get a discounted TouchPad in the next few months. But at the moment, much of my disposable income is sucked up by buying new furniture. As much fun as furnishing a new, large flat is, it's also one of the more expensive exercises in life.

P.S.: By the way, is that a Suzuki Intruder in the background of your profile photo? Just asking because I own one.
    Last edited by Jappus; 08/09/2011 at 09:03 AM.
  9.    #209  
    Quote Originally Posted by predee View Post
    Is it possible to add the RezKonv-Format (and/or Mealmaster)? It is a text-based format for recipes. It would be fantastic if I could take my recipes with me when I have to shop. If I have an idea for a meal I could look a recipe up immediately and see what else I need for it.
    Sure, if the format is either open, openly-documented or well enough reverse-engineered by other people, adding it is reasonably easy.

But if its details are secret, contain weird DRM, strange database formats or if it generally does things too differently from "normal" eBooks, the implementation gets progressively more difficult and time-consuming.

That's for example the reason why MobiPocket books work in the pReader, but MobiPocket dictionaries don't. The latter use a weird SQL/JavaScript combination for retrieving words that is just not documented anywhere...

A five-minute search on the topic gives me the impression that both RezKonv and MealMaster are reasonably well documented. The only issue could be to present them in a way that's compatible with the way the pReader expects its "books" to behave.
    @jappus If you go here Comcast and download the zip file, there's a file import.doc that documents the file format.
    Meal-Master Home Page for some that didn't work in last message.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jappus View Post
    Well, I think it would -- after all they were gracious enough to send me a brand-new Pre2 free of charge, which allowed me to examine WebOS 2 closer. For example, one of the next features that I'm planning to implement, as soon as time allows, is the stacking of multiple books, so you don't have to close one book to read another.

So, I guess I can also get a discounted TouchPad in the next few months. But at the moment, much of my disposable income is sucked up by buying new furniture. As much fun as furnishing a new, large flat is, it's also one of the more expensive exercises in life.

P.S.: By the way, is that a Suzuki Intruder in the background of your profile photo? Just asking because I own one.

haha ya. Sounds expensive! As for the discount, I believe for some they offer a discount as large as 65% percent off. So if you have a contact let them know how you are trying to optimize preader for touchpad and how supports all sorts of ebooks even drmed ones like from b&n nook in near future.

The bike is a Suzuki Boulevard M50.... Its basically the next generation intruder. :-P good call! These things are amazing I'm addicted. Got it new in 08 w/ 0 miles and am over 25500 miles now (sorry not sure what that is in kM but its a lot :-) )
    Last edited by jack87; 08/13/2011 at 01:14 AM.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Quote Originally Posted by seosborne View Post
    Hi Jappus,

I am running WebOS 1.4.5.1 and therefore the Fstab fix will not apply since it apparently only works with 1.4.5.

I have installed and uninstalled pReader-native at least 5 times, still no luck

I am able to use Internalz Pro to create sub-directories in "/media/internal" and "/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.mhwsoft.preader-native" and both directories do exist so I can't figure out why preader-native cannot write to the directories. No other program seems to have this problem.
    I am having the exact problem on a Verizon Pre Plus with 1.4.5.1, the directories are there.

Ted
    Quote Originally Posted by ssi_td View Post
    I am having the exact problem on a Verizon Pre Plus with 1.4.5.1, the directories are there.

Ted
    I also have the same issue on pre plus
  15.    #215  
    Quote Originally Posted by drewcam888 View Post
    I also have the same issue on pre plus
    Well, I'll release the next version either tomorrow (Thursday GMT+1) or the day after (Friday GMT+1), depending on how fast I can track down one last bug in the new page layouting algorithm, which sometimes causes the screen to stop refreshing.

One of the changes will be that the pReader does not write its own logfile anymore, but instead sends its logs to the syslog daemon which in turn writes its logs to /var/logs/messages.

This should finally allow me to track down that nasty bug, as it will allow the pReader to generate logs that you can query even in situations where it has absolutely no file system access.

So, while the next version might not fix the bug, it should finally make it traceable.
  16.    #216  
    Good news, everyone!#

I've just released v0.9.9 and with it comes a slew of new features:

1. Added support for MobiPocket files (including DRM).
    2. Added support for HTML files.
    3. Added optional page-prefetching algorithm which which dramatically speeds up page rendering. It is enabled by default.
    4. Added two-page rendering, which is especially useful for Touchpads.
    5. Fixed a bug with the page layouting algorithm. It should not skip pages anymore.
    6. The backend now uses the syslog facility for logging. This enables logging even when the pReader can't write to the disk. You can read the logs in /var/log/messages.

Of course, with such a lot of new features, the new version might be a bit ... unstable, so I'll be very happy if you could report any bugs you encounter.

Anyway, you all know the bad news of the last few days, with HP more or less announcing the end of WebOS. While I'm enormously disheartened about it, I at least plan to code everything up to the v1.0.0 release which is really rather close anyway.

After that though, well, let's just say I'll adopt a wait-and-see approach to any further developments.
    Does #4 mean the _native_ version runs full screen on the TouchPad now?
  18.    #218  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    Does #4 mean the _native_ version runs full screen on the TouchPad now?
    It should, and thanks to page prefetching it should run blazingly fast, even in 2-page mode.

Of course, as I still don't have a Touchpad, and as things currently stand probably never will, I could not check it first-hand. So if you (or someone else) could verify it, that would be great.
    jappus
    it works awesome - it renders unbelievably fast. I love it. You will be able to pick one up really cheap if you would Want to
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Yippeeeeeee !