02/02/2011, 08:42 PM
Version 0.4.3 has been released. This release provides full-screen TouchPad support. The application should still be compatible with 1.4x and 2.x versions of webOS.
HoshiDict is an application for webOS that allows you to access dictionaries in the StarDict dictionary file format. The StarDict dictionary file format is rather popular, and dictionaries in the format can be readily found online. HoshiDict does not require a network connection, so HoshiDict may be particularly useful while travelling and no data connection is available (or one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg). Before accessing the dictionaries on your webOS device, they will need to be loaded onto the device.
How to get HoshiDict
HoshiDict is available in the PreCentral app repository, so you can install using webOS Quick Install or Preware.
How to load dictionaries
Many StarDict dictionaries found on the internet are distributed as .tar.bz2 archive files. HoshiDict is currently unable to extract the archive file directly, so you'll need to manually extract the files. To add dictionaries to your device:
- Connect to your device via USB
- If you're using webOS 1.4.5, you'll need to create a folder named "HoshiDict" manually on the device's USB drive (this is fixed in later versions of webOS; the folder is automatically created the first time HoshiDict is launched).
- Extract the .tar.bz2 file
- Extract the .tar file (if your extraction software doesn't automatically extract the .tar file)
- Open the extracted directory
- If there is a file with the extension, ".dict.dz", then extract that file as well (it will then have an extension of ".dict")
- Move the extracted folder into the HoshiDict folder on the device (or move just the .ifo, .idx, and .dict file to the HoshiDict folder; HoshiDict searches the HoshiDict directory and any sub-directories for dictionaries)
- Repeat for as many dictionaries as desired
If you have HoshiDict open when you load dictionaries on the device, you may need to restart HoshiDict for it to see the new dictionaries.
This is very much a work in progress; I made this app because I plan on travelling overseas in a few months and didn't want to pay a lot to use an online foreign language dictionary. The current set of features satisfy my basic requirements to make it usable for this scenario (it's usable, but very few bells and whistles). Any suggestions, comments, or feedback would be greatly appreciated.
08/24/11 version 0.4.3
* Added full-screen TouchPad support
03/28/11 version 0.4.2
* Minor bug fix where an incorrect number of results is displayed
* Dictionary plugin binary is now compiled at the -O3 optimization level (used to be default)
03/23/11 version 0.4.1
* Pressing the Enter key on the entry lookup scene will now automatically open the first entry in the list. (thanks kiukiukiu for the suggestion)
* Pressing the delete key while viewing an entry returns to the entry lookup scene.
03/21/11 version 0.4.0
* Added support for Just Type (launch + search).
* Removed limit on the number of results that are displayed.
03/14/11 version 0.3.1
* A very minor bug with displaying entries with newlines has been fixed (they were not being displayed before in many cases).
03/13/11 version 0.3.0
* A default dictionary can now be set to automatically open that dictionary when the app is launched.
03/02/11 version 0.2.3
* A bug with entry lookup not returning all possible results has been resolved (thanks to lespedeza for reporting and helping with resolving the issue)
02/26/11 version 0.2.2
* Minor bug with searching has been fixed (it would only be triggered if all search characters were not letters. In that case, no search results would be found)
* Some visual improvements
02/21/11 version 0.2.1
* Improved search functionality by skipping non-letters in entries (to allow searching for entries that begin with a non-letter)
02/20/11 version 0.2.0
* Cleaned up the user interface
* Entry lookup scene now displays a preview of each entry for faster searching
02/03/11 version 0.1.0
* Initial Release