Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theomodsim View Post
    I believe the system font does not contain IPA characters, so probably that is why they are not rendering correctly. Unfortunately, not much can be done about that application-wise. When HP adds them to the font, they should start displaying correctly.
    I did download IPA fonts from web, it is for StarDict app on Windows, then I put them in /usr/share/fonts, but hopeless. any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by rainwed View Post
    Sorry, it is OK now, i know how to workaround on unzip it.
    Can you be so kind to explain to me how can I extract the .dz files? I can't find any workaround to do this. Tx.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    download "arc covert064" app. open "arc_convert", and choose unzip the .dz file.
    very good
    Hi, i got a problem when i opened this dictionary ( Longman contemporary 4th) could you help me to fix this issue because i really love this dictionary
    you can see this dict via this link i-like-tux.googlecode.com/files/stardict-babylon-Longman-img-2.4.2.tar.bz2 ( sorry i can not insert a link to my post)
    Just to be sure before doing something stupid ... does this app work on the HP Veer?
  7.    #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by pda_tuan View Post
    Hi, i got a problem when i opened this dictionary ( Longman contemporary 4th) could you help me to fix this issue because i really love this dictionary
    you can see this dict via this link i-like-tux.googlecode.com/files/stardict-babylon-Longman-img-2.4.2.tar.bz2 ( sorry i can not insert a link to my post)
    I downloaded the dictionary and it worked fine on my TouchPad. However, the images bundled with the dictionary cannot be displayed (this is because HoshiDict doesn't support image resources). Can you post the specific error message that you see when opening the dictionary?
  8.    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trovatore View Post
    Just to be sure before doing something stupid ... does this app work on the HP Veer?
    I didn't test HoshiDict on the Veer or Pre3, but I tried it on Pre-, Pre 2, and TouchPad and they all work fine. As far as I know, there is no reason why it shouldn't work on the Veer or Pre3.
    Trovatore likes this.
    I didn't test HoshiDict on the Veer or Pre3, but I tried it on Pre-, Pre 2, and TouchPad and they all work fine. As far as I know, there is no reason why it shouldn't work on the Veer or Pre3.
    Ok. Thank you for your answer. So, i will definetly try the app on my Veer and then let you know if it works as it is supposed to :-D.

I have red in this thread some users suggesting to download free dictionaries from babylon. Well, i have downloaded 3 free dictionaries but they are three .exe files. How can i manage these files in order to obtain three .dict file to use in you application?
    I downloaded the dictionary and it worked fine on my TouchPad. However, the images bundled with the dictionary cannot be displayed (this is because HoshiDict doesn't support image resources). Can you post the specific error message that you see when opening the dictionary?
    When i open Hoshdict and select this dictionary i see a error " Could not open .dict file for dictionary" and in the folder of this dictionary i could find any file .dict
    this is all stuff in "stardict-babylon-Longman-img-2.4.2" folder
    res
    Longman-img.dict.dz
    Longman-img.idx
    Longman-img.idx.oft
    Longman-img.ifo
    Longman-img.syn
    Longman-img.syn.oft

I used Winrar to extract file .tar.bz2 is that the cause of error?
  11.    #71  
    Ok. Thank you for your answer. So, i will definetly try the app on my Veer and then let you know if it works as it is supposed to :-D.

I have red in this thread some users suggesting to download free dictionaries from babylon. Well, i have downloaded 3 free dictionaries but they are three .exe files. How can i manage these files in order to obtain three .dict file to use in you application?
    Obtaining StarDict dictionary files became immensely harder after the official StarDict website was taken down due to copyright infringement (apparently copyrighted dictionaries/encyclopedias were being converted into the format and then redistributed on the official site).

I don't believe you can download Babylon dictionaries anymore from their website (you could at one point, and then convert them to StarDict format).

There are various torrents that you can find online that contain StarDict dictionaries, but these obviously might not be legal.

Sorry I don't have a better solution... all the dictionaries that I obtained after the StarDict website shut down have been created by myself using publicly-available sources (such as Jim Breen's JMDict, etc.)
  12.    #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by pda_tuan View Post
    When i open Hoshdict and select this dictionary i see a error " Could not open .dict file for dictionary" and in the folder of this dictionary i could find any file .dict
    this is all stuff in "stardict-babylon-Longman-img-2.4.2" folder
    res
    Longman-img.dict.dz
    Longman-img.idx
    Longman-img.idx.oft
    Longman-img.ifo
    Longman-img.syn
    Longman-img.syn.oft

I used Winrar to extract file .tar.bz2 is that the cause of error?
    It appears that Longman-img.dict.dz has not been extracted. You need to extract the .dict.dz file as well (to create a ".dict" file). Be sure that the extracted .dict file is in the same directory as the .ifo and .idx file.

Also, HoshiDict does not support displaying images or searching using words in the .syn file. However, the dictionary you have should still be very functional even with those limitations.
    Obtaining StarDict dictionary files became immensely harder after the official StarDict website was taken down due to copyright infringement (apparently copyrighted dictionaries/encyclopedias were being converted into the format and then redistributed on the official site).

I don't believe you can download Babylon dictionaries anymore from their website (you could at one point, and then convert them to StarDict format).

There are various torrents that you can find online that contain StarDict dictionaries, but these obviously might not be legal.

Thanks for your answer. That is a real pity this whole thing ....

Sorry I don't have a better solution... all the dictionaries that I obtained after the StarDict website shut down have been created by myself using publicly-available sources (such as Jim Breen's JMDict, etc.)
    That is not your fault. No problem . By the way, these dictionaries you have created from public sources ... can you post them here for download purpose?
  14.    #74  
    Thanks for your answer. That is a real pity this whole thing ....

That is not your fault. No problem . By the way, these dictionaries you have created from public sources ... can you post them here for download purpose?
    Which language(s) are you looking for? I created Japanese-English, English-Japanese, and Esperanto-English (nerdy, I know) dictionaries from publicly-available sources over the past few months. If you are looking for those languages, I'll gladly post download links.
    Which language(s) are you looking for? I created Japanese-English, English-Japanese, and Esperanto-English (nerdy, I know) dictionaries from publicly-available sources over the past few months. If you are looking for those languages, I'll gladly post download links.
    You are a tough guy, eh? Didn't even know that there was a languege called "esperanto" :-)

I am italian so i am interested in italian-english or italian-french or italian-german dictionaries etc... Also mono-english dictionaries would be usefull as well as english-german.
    The following site is a good source of Open Source and public domain dictionaries:
    xdxf.revdanica.com/down/index.php

You can change the download format to StarDict and see their list of available StarDict dictionaries.

I also managed to get the stardict-tools to build on Windows and am experimenting with converting some public domain texts to stardict format.

It would be great if there was someplace to collect the various public domain and Open Source dictionaries in StarDict format so everyone could share them. It would also reduce duplication of effort for people converting free dictionaries from other sources. If anyone runs across a place to do that, please post with information. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by lmemsm View Post
    The following site is a good source of Open Source and public domain dictionaries:
    xdxf.revdanica.com/down/index.php
    That is good. Thanks for your suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by lmemsm View Post
    It would be great if there was someplace to collect the various public domain and Open Source dictionaries in StarDict format so everyone could share them. It would also reduce duplication of effort for people converting free dictionaries from other sources. If anyone runs across a place to do that, please post with information. Thanks.
    I totally agree with that.
    cannot load dict of "stardict-powerword-*"
    may need stardict-powerword-parsedata-plugin ?
    Update (08/24/11):
    Version 0.4.3 has been released. This release provides full-screen TouchPad support. The application should still be compatible with 1.4x and 2.x versions of webOS.

Description
    HoshiDict is an application for webOS that allows you to access dictionaries in the StarDict dictionary file format. The StarDict dictionary file format is rather popular, and dictionaries in the format can be readily found online. HoshiDict does not require a network connection, so HoshiDict may be particularly useful while travelling and no data connection is available (or one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg). Before accessing the dictionaries on your webOS device, they will need to be loaded onto the device.

How to get HoshiDict
    HoshiDict is available in the PreCentral app repository, so you can install using webOS Quick Install or Preware.

How to load dictionaries

Many StarDict dictionaries found on the internet are distributed as .tar.bz2 archive files. HoshiDict is currently unable to extract the archive file directly, so you'll need to manually extract the files. To add dictionaries to your device:
    1. Connect to your device via USB
    2. If you're using webOS 1.4.5, you'll need to create a folder named "HoshiDict" manually on the device's USB drive (this is fixed in later versions of webOS; the folder is automatically created the first time HoshiDict is launched).
    3. Extract the .tar.bz2 file
    4. Extract the .tar file (if your extraction software doesn't automatically extract the .tar file)
    5. Open the extracted directory
    6. If there is a file with the extension, ".dict.dz", then extract that file as well (it will then have an extension of ".dict")
    7. Move the extracted folder into the HoshiDict folder on the device (or move just the .ifo, .idx, and .dict file to the HoshiDict folder; HoshiDict searches the HoshiDict directory and any sub-directories for dictionaries)
    8. Repeat for as many dictionaries as desired

If you have HoshiDict open when you load dictionaries on the device, you may need to restart HoshiDict for it to see the new dictionaries.

This is very much a work in progress; I made this app because I plan on travelling overseas in a few months and didn't want to pay a lot to use an online foreign language dictionary. The current set of features satisfy my basic requirements to make it usable for this scenario (it's usable, but very few bells and whistles). Any suggestions, comments, or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Changelog

08/24/11 version 0.4.3
    * Added full-screen TouchPad support

03/28/11 version 0.4.2
    * Minor bug fix where an incorrect number of results is displayed
    * Dictionary plugin binary is now compiled at the -O3 optimization level (used to be default)

03/23/11 version 0.4.1
    * Pressing the Enter key on the entry lookup scene will now automatically open the first entry in the list. (thanks kiukiukiu for the suggestion)
    * Pressing the delete key while viewing an entry returns to the entry lookup scene.

03/21/11 version 0.4.0
    * Added support for Just Type (launch + search).
    * Removed limit on the number of results that are displayed.

03/14/11 version 0.3.1
    * A very minor bug with displaying entries with newlines has been fixed (they were not being displayed before in many cases).

03/13/11 version 0.3.0
    * A default dictionary can now be set to automatically open that dictionary when the app is launched.

03/02/11 version 0.2.3
    * A bug with entry lookup not returning all possible results has been resolved (thanks to lespedeza for reporting and helping with resolving the issue)

02/26/11 version 0.2.2
    * Minor bug with searching has been fixed (it would only be triggered if all search characters were not letters. In that case, no search results would be found)
    * Some visual improvements

02/21/11 version 0.2.1
    * Improved search functionality by skipping non-letters in entries (to allow searching for entries that begin with a non-letter)

02/20/11 version 0.2.0
    * Cleaned up the user interface
    * Entry lookup scene now displays a preview of each entry for faster searching

02/03/11 version 0.1.0
    * Initial Release
    Thanks for share
    Could you send to me file install of version 0.4.3 ?
    By the way, why my touch pad hp 32g not show vietnam?
    Thanks and best regards
    Hello theomodsim, thank you for your great work!

I'd like to report a bug. If I query something non-ascii with just type for example chinese character or german words with umlaut such as , the value will not be correctly received by Hoshidict.

Thanks again for your great app.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast