Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    If the words on the card is written with capital letters or all uppercase words, the request must also write in big letters. Important for Russian dictionaries. English language search is case-independent.
    For example dictionary: planetiphone.ru/wedict/colier.zip
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by 256b View Post
    If the words on the card is written with capital letters or all uppercase words, the request must also write in big letters. Important for Russian dictionaries. English language search is case-independent.
    For example dictionary: planetiphone.ru/wedict/colier.zip
    I'll take a look into this, thanks for the bug report. I don't have Cyrillic input configured and I don't know Cyrilic at all, so would it be possible for you to test any changes I make to support case-insensitive searches in Russian? Send me a PM or e-mail me (my e-mail address is available on the "Support" menu option in HoshiDict) if you're interested in helping me test this.
    Just doctored my phone and I can't install Hoshidict on my Pre 2. Here is the error from Preware, can you please look into it?
    -1: Unable to run command: /usr/bin/curl --create-dirs --insecure --location --fail --show-error --output /media/internal/.developer/com.cbonnell.hoshidictbeta_0.4.1_all.ipk http://media.precentral.net/resource..._0.4.1_all.ipk 2>&1
    % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
    0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
    curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 403

Thanks
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by kiukiukiu View Post
    Just doctored my phone and I can't install Hoshidict on my Pre 2. Here is the error from Preware, can you please look into it?
    -1: Unable to run command: /usr/bin/curl --create-dirs --insecure --location --fail --show-error --output /media/internal/.developer/com.cbonnell.hoshidictbeta_0.4.1_all.ipk http://media.precentral.net/resource..._0.4.1_all.ipk 2>&1
    % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
    curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 403

Thanks
    I ran into this exact same error right after I uploaded version 0.4.2 and tried to update to the new version on my test device via Preware. The error went away about 24 hours after I initially uploaded the new version, and the error text looks like it's a problem with the Preware feed (it can't even download the HoshiDict .ipk because the server is responding with a Forbidden HTTP response code).

I just re-uploaded version 0.4.2, hopefully that solves the problem for you.
    Thanks! All solved now!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I feel like a bit of an ***** here... But I can't find a dictionary that works with this app. Can anyone nudge me in the right direction?
    Oops... I'd run across that site, but kept heading to the forums because I didn't want to download "all" of their dictionaries. And their forums are a dark and scary place o_O

Appreciated
    Very usefull app - I've been waiting for it for a long time and finally it's for WebOS!
    But I have such an issue: I've got several dictionaries (working in HTC in ColorDict) which are not working with HoshiDict. I see there is lack of IFO files for them. How can I get/generate IFO file when I have DICT and IDX files?
    Don't look for solution - look for EXIT!
    My Palm Pre 2 and TouchPad 32GB are waiting for useful updates and enhancements
    Quote Originally Posted by theomodsim View Post
    I sent you a PM with my e-mail address. Feel free to send them to me.

I'm actually thinking about making a web-based conversion tool to make this easier. Roughly, one would upload a Babylon dictionary file and the server converts it to StarDict and returns a .zip file the converted dictionary. The .zip archive would contain the .ifo, .idx, and .dict file that comprises the StarDict dictionary. This would also make it easier to load the dictionary for HoshiDict to use (just extract the files, copy them to the HoshiDict folder) as opposed to the current method (several steps of untarring, extracting, etc.)
    Following up, is this still in the works?
  10.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelcu View Post
    Very usefull app - I've been waiting for it for a long time and finally it's for WebOS!
    But I have such an issue: I've got several dictionaries (working in HTC in ColorDict) which are not working with HoshiDict. I see there is lack of IFO files for them. How can I get/generate IFO file when I have DICT and IDX files?
    HoshiDict needs the IFO file for each dictionary to be present, because it reads the display name for the dictionary from the file. You can make a IFO file for a dictionary (assuming you have the IDX and DICT files) by creating a new file and adding the following line to the file:
    "bookname=Japanese-English Dictionary" (replace "Japanese-English Dictionary" with whatever you want to name the dictionary; that will be the name that's displayed on the "Available Dictionaries" screen in HoshiDict).

Then save the file and give it a name that matches the name of the IDX and DICT files. For example, if the IDX file is named JapaneseEnglish.idx and the DICT file is named JapaneseEnglish.DICT, then name the IFO file JapaneseEnglish.ifo. Then transfer the IFO file you made to the same directory on your webOS device where you put the IDX and DICT files and you should be able to use the dictionary in HoshiDict.
  11.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by Convert View Post
    Following up, is this still in the works?
    Yes, I plan on making the online conversion service sometime in the next month or two. I've been very busy with non-development stuff the past two months, so I haven't had time to work on the conversion service (or make updates to HoshiDict).

On a side note, I'm not sure if I'll make any more updates to HoshiDict in its current (Mojo framework) form. I'll probably do a rewrite of the app using the new Enyo framework (and overhaul the user interface) in preparation for the Touchpad and other new webOS devices. Hopefully the Pre2 and Veer get an update to run Enyo apps...
    Trovatore likes this.
    Appreciated!
  13.    #54  
    So, it turns out that the StarDict website on SourceForge has been removed due to copyright infringement (see StarDict Homepage for details). This really puts a damper on the usefulness of HoshiDict, as users can't as easily obtain dictionaries.

At this point, I'll need to reevaluate how the next version of HoshiDict will be done. I'm considering using the new in-app purchase functionality available to distribute dictionaries (that way users don't have to manually extract dictionaries). I'm also thinking of developing my own dictionary format and then write converters to convert different dictionary types into the new format. These converters would then be presented on a web interface so you can convert online (the on-device app would then use this web service to convert). This would require an internet connection to convert and load dictionaries onto the device, but once they are loaded they can be used offline.

Since I have to rewrite HoshiDict for the new devices anyways (switch to Enyo), it's probably best to go back to the drawing board and re-design from the ground up.

As an aside, I'm not going to focus on targeting the TouchPad, as I feel the utility of HoshiDict is really diminished on a tablet. At least in my opinion, tablets will generally be connected to the internet (Wifi, and eventually 3G for the TouchPad), so it makes HoshiDict essentially useless. I'm more focused on the phones.

That being said, does anyone have any opinions or ideas?
    Since there is no offline dict on App Catalog, it would be great to see Hoshidict on official Catalog with in-app purchase for legal dict database!
    I would buy it too if HoshiDict were in App Catalog with a library of dictionaries even paying each dictionary separately.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Spanish translator of Outline Tracker, UberCalendar, sconix's advanced patches, and other MIA webOS apps. HP Pre 3 and HP TouchPad 64 GB (Espaņol_Espaņa, es_es)
  16.    #57  
    I've just released version 0.4.3 of HoshiDict. The only new feature of the new version is full-screen TouchPad support.

As of now, I'm putting webOS development on hold until HP can give some more direction in terms of the future of webOS. Nonetheless, if anyone has any questions or needs dictionaries converted from another format to StarDict, please feel free to ask.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I have tried several way to unzip "file.dz" but unsuccessful, any idea? pls help.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rainwed View Post
    I have tried several way to unzip "file.dz" but unsuccessful, any idea? pls help.
    Sorry, it is OK now, i know how to workaround on unzip it. However, when I open dict that suppose to show phonetic, but instead it show a small box. Any idea? It'd be very useful for me as non-native Eng speaker, to know how to pronounce correctly
  19.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by rainwed View Post
    Sorry, it is OK now, i know how to workaround on unzip it. However, when I open dict that suppose to show phonetic, but instead it show a small box. Any idea? It'd be very useful for me as non-native Eng speaker, to know how to pronounce correctly
    I believe the system font does not contain IPA characters, so probably that is why they are not rendering correctly. Unfortunately, not much can be done about that application-wise. When HP adds them to the font, they should start displaying correctly.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast