Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    What does the chinese character in the icon mean?
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by sunclear View Post
    What does the chinese character in the icon mean?
    It means "star". The Japanese word for star is "hoshi" (and Japanese uses the same symbol for star as Chinese), hence the name HoshiDict
    Does anyone know of a Spanish/English dictionary in StarDict format? I can't find any out there except one in .mobi format that I believe if for the Kindle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Convert View Post
    Does anyone know of a Spanish/English dictionary in StarDict format? I can't find any out there except one in .mobi format that I believe if for the Kindle.
    There seem to more dictionaries in the babylon format than in stardict format and as mentioned previously you can convert these using dictconv.

The below link has some spanish/english dictionaries in babylon format that could be converted for use with the app.

Spanish Dictionaries by Babylon
    Thanks for the suggestion. But the dictconv tool running on linux seems to be more than I want to bite off at this point, since I've never worked with it. Is there any such tool that runs on Win?
  6.    #26  
    Thanks for the suggestion. But the dictconv tool running on linux seems to be more than I want to bite off at this point, since I've never worked with it. Is there any such tool that runs on Win?
    If you have Cygwin installed, you can build and run dictconv using that. If you're not comfortable setting up Cygwin and compiling/running programs from the command line, feel free to send me the Babylon dictionary via e-mail (you can find my address by clicking "Support" in HoshiDict's App Menu). I'll convert it to StarDict and send it back.
    I've loaded a couple of dictionaries. After I open one, and then go back to the Available Dictionaries, upon selecting another I receive:
    Error
    Cannot open dictionary; another is already open
  8.    #28  
    I've loaded a couple of dictionaries. After I open one, and then go back to the Available Dictionaries, upon selecting another I receive:
    Error
    Cannot open dictionary; another is already open
    I haven't seen that particular error occur before... which version of webOS are you running? Could you send me a few dictionary files that cause this behavior, or does it seem to be every dictionary that you loaded has this behavior?
    Quote Originally Posted by theomodsim View Post
    I haven't seen that particular error occur before... which version of webOS are you running? Could you send me a few dictionary files that cause this behavior, or does it seem to be every dictionary that you loaded has this behavior?
    I'm running v1.4.5. I resolved the "already open" error. In one of the of dictionary folders that I loaded to the HoshiDict folder, I also included the .dict.dz file. So when I tried to open that dictionary, I received an error message "unable to open dictionary." If I then went back to the main dictionary list and then tried to open a different dictionary, I then received the "already open" error. Once I restarted the HoshiDict app I would be able to open any "good" dictionary. Once I deleted the .dict.dz file, everything functioned properly.

So in sum, for the newbies like myself, each dictionary must include only the extracted .ifo, .idx, and .dict files copied to the HoshiDict folder on the usb. Also, for the newbie, I am using the free "7-zip" app to extract the TAR file dictionaries on my WIN machine.

I really like this app, functions great, and serves a valuable need of having dictionaries available offline. Now that I've come to find lots of the free dictionary files available, I'm loading up important references. I'm sure people would be willing to pay for it, like myself.

Also I want to thank the developer for converting a babylon format dictionary to StarDict format for me.
    I have a lot babylon dictionaries and I'd like to convert them to Stardict format so I can install them in my android phone and read in other languages.

Could you help to convert them? Can I send you the babylon dictionaries?

After that, you can share them as you want.

Thanks.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by 17alex17 View Post
    I have a lot babylon dictionaries and I'd like to convert them to Stardict format so I can install them in my android phone and read in other languages.

Could you help to convert them? Can I send you the babylon dictionaries?

After that, you can share them as you want.

Thanks.
    I sent you a PM with my e-mail address. Feel free to send them to me.

I'm actually thinking about making a web-based conversion tool to make this easier. Roughly, one would upload a Babylon dictionary file and the server converts it to StarDict and returns a .zip file the converted dictionary. The .zip archive would contain the .ifo, .idx, and .dict file that comprises the StarDict dictionary. This would also make it easier to load the dictionary for HoshiDict to use (just extract the files, copy them to the HoshiDict folder) as opposed to the current method (several steps of untarring, extracting, etc.)
  12.    #32  
    I just released version 0.3.0, which provides the ability to set a default dictionary. The default dictionary will automatically be opened when HoshiDict is launched.

To set the default dictionary, select "Preferences" in the application menu and select the dictionary in the drop-down.
    It is getting better everyday~~~!
    I sent you a PM with my e-mail address. Feel free to send them to me.

I'm actually thinking about making a web-based conversion tool to make this easier. Roughly, one would upload a Babylon dictionary file and the server converts it to StarDict and returns a .zip file the converted dictionary. The .zip archive would contain the .ifo, .idx, and .dict file that comprises the StarDict dictionary. This would also make it easier to load the dictionary for HoshiDict to use (just extract the files, copy them to the HoshiDict folder) as opposed to the current method (several steps of untarring, extracting, etc.)
    Sounds like a great idea!
    Just downloaded the latest release with the default dictionary preference. Set my default dictionary and re-opened the app and it worked great....but how to get back to the Available Dictionaries list? Ah, back swipe.
  16.    #36  
    Version 0.4 has just been released. Integration with Just Type (launch + search) on webOS devices running at least version 2.0 has been added and the limit on the number of search results displayed has been removed.

Thanks to HP/Palm for sending me a developer Pre 2, allowing me to add Just Type functionality
    Can you make the JustInput search go straight into the entry if there is a matching one (Avoiding an extra tap on the word)?
    For search a word in the app, can you make pressing the 'enter' on keyboard to go in the matching entry rather than tapping on the word?

Thanks
    The app is exactly that I need. Thanks theomodsim!
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by kiukiukiu View Post
    Can you make the JustInput search go straight into the entry if there is a matching one (Avoiding an extra tap on the word)?
    For search a word in the app, can you make pressing the 'enter' on keyboard to go in the matching entry rather than tapping on the word?

Thanks
    I just rolled out version 0.4.1 to allow for pressing Enter to display the first matching entry. Once an entry is viewed, you can also press the Delete key to return to the entry lookup list.

I'm hesitant to automatically show an entry that was entered via Just Type, because I think it's nice to first show the list of matching entries to select from. Showing the list first is valuable especially when searching for a word in a foreign language dictionary and you don't quite remember the full spelling of the word you're looking up.

Of course, I could be totally off with that observation. This sounds like something that could be controlled in the Preferences menu. I'll definitely keep it in mind the next time I push out a new version.
    Thanks for taking it into consideration!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast