Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    For the geologists (and of course all other people interested in geology) out there:

Stratigraphy (Homebrew app page)

This is a geologic timescale, or to be more exact, the International Stratigraphic Chart (ISC, version of 2009). You can look up all formally defined stratigraphic units, the time (million years before now) they have begun, whether they've been defined by a “Global Boundary Stratotype Section and Point” (GSSP), and their “official” RGB colour codes. For some units, there's a bit of additional geologic and paleontologic information.

The app is based on my CSS stylesheets and HTML for the International Stratigraphic Chart, posted on my blog some time ago.

Currently (version 0.1.8), it's in English, but I've begun a German translation. In later versions I'll flesh out the translation and also the little paragraphs of additional information about the units.

Feedback is of course greatly appreciated. Also, are there any geologically inclined WebOS users?

Also, uploading the IPK failed with “invalid file”, but I hope the app shows up in the repository soon.
    Last edited by effjot; 08/27/2011 at 11:30 AM. Reason: link to homebrew page
  2.    #2  
    I've fixed the wrong age of the base of the Quaternary. Thanks to juanpaito for finding this error!

Current version is 0.1.9, available on the Homebrew Apps Gallery and with the Preware feed.
    Finally some geology app for WebOS!
    Suggestions:
    Adding the events/geologic features that delimits the period/era....etc when you tap on the era/epoch...etc
  4.    #4  
    Do you think about a short description of the concrete GSSP, or a more general information about what deleimts the units?

I was also thinking about adding a button to the "detail view" which opens the corresponding Wikipedia page.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Sadly, I don't practice in the field (BS Geophysics with a minor in Geology), but I still try to keep up the knowledge. Once a Geologist, always a Geologist. Thanks for this small, but helpful piece.
    short description of the concrete GSSP would be great. I presume you don't wrote this app for general public right?

Geology app that I would like to have:
    ASTM and BS soil classification
    ROCK and Mineral identification and guide

Thanks for the good work!
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the suggestions for a geology app. I had also thought about a kind of "geologist toolbox", but it seemed a too big task for my first project. If time permits, I will have a try.

What do you mean by the stratigraphy not being fo the general public?
  8.    #8  
    On more thing: I'll add short GSSP descriptions for the next version. (But it will take some time, I'm a bit busy right now.) Also, I need to add those short infos for more stratigraphic units.

What do you think about a Wikipedia link?
    Wikipedia would be good for those who do not hv gelogic background.
    Take your time. Above are just suggestions
    If you have an iPhone or iPod touch, check out the app by British Geological Society called iGeology. Pretty nice!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by effjot View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions for a geology app. I had also thought about a kind of "geologist toolbox", but it seemed a too big task for my first project. If time permits, I will have a try.

What do you mean by the stratigraphy not being fo the general public?
    I can't help with code but I would be willing to help in other ways, if possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    I can't help with code but I would be willing to help in other ways, if possible.
    Me 2
  12.    #12  
    @angiest, kiukiukiu: Thanks for the offer! If you'd like to help, you could write little information snippets about the stratigraphic units, like the few I have done yet (e.g. Phanerozoic, Mesozoic).

Depending on your own language, you also could translate into a new language or check my English.

I'll look into setting up the "infrastructure" for Wikipedia links (if we're lucky, automatic link generation should be possible) and GSSP descriptions.
    I will look into it when I get off from the vessel next month.
  14.    #14  
    I've made a new version which includes a button to open the Wikipedia article for the selected stratigraphic unit.

The link to Wikipedia is generated automatically. Therefore, I'd be happy if anybody points out problems, so I can fix them. Thanks!
    Last edited by effjot; 03/30/2011 at 04:09 PM. Reason: fixed link
  15.    #15  
    Short notice:

A new version of my Stratigraphy app is necessary due to the removal of the Triassic from the International Stratigraphic Chart and will be made available ASAP.

For details, see the announcement.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by effjot View Post
    Short notice:

A new version of my Stratigraphy app is necessary due to the removal of the Triassic from the International Stratigraphic Chart and will be made available ASAP.

For details, see the announcement.
    It's about time!
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    It's about time!
    Interested in a April 1st special edition? It will also contain the Predinozoic, of course.
    I'd like to modify this to take full advantage of the TouchPad's screen. How can I go about getting the source?
    effjot likes this.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by geologist View Post
    I'd like to modify this to take full advantage of the TouchPad's screen.
    That sounds good, thanks for your interest! Sadly, I didn't manage to get a Touchpad myself thanks to HP not being able to keep their store website running. :-(

Is it possible to make full use of the Touchpad with Mojo, or do you have to port the source to Enyo?

Quote Originally Posted by geologist View Post
    How can I go about getting the source?
    Although it's free, I haven't published it yet. It needs a little bit of tidying up. I can make it available on the weekend.

Bye,
    Florian
    I believe it needs to be ported for Enyo. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe if it's coded for Enyo, it will work fine on any WebOS device, where as Mojo is geared toward the phones only.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast