Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This was created out of a need for something a little more complete than the BBC mobile website. I wanted a dedicated BBC News app something like the NY Times one which allows one to switch news category views quickly. It reads in the BBC news feeds and tapping on items displays the mobile view.
    I also put in the Global news podcasts as well as the BBC World radio live stream link.

As a programming aside, it could be somewhat more efficiently programmed if someone could tell me how to dynamically set the feedUrl in the Ares RSS widget.

Screenshots attached.

App when approved will be in this homebrew link:

http://uploads.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/beeb-news
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    This looks nice; it's always good to see UK targeted apps pop up (although this will be of interest to a lot of non-Brits too). Looking forward to trying it out when approved.
  3.    #3  
    It's out now.
    Nice start! Just need some polishing on the UI. Thanks a lot!
    I love this app, well done and thanks
    Looks nice after initial play with it. Am I correct in thinking that its just loading the actual web page when clicking on a story?
  7.    #7  
    Sorry I totally suck at design, my apps are just about functionality . Yes the app reads in the rss feeds of each bbc news section, and when tapped opens up the mobile web view of the item. In essence I believe that's what most news apps would do, only differing in design of the ui.
    What I don't like about the BBC mobile website is that I can't see all the news items at a glance, whereas this way one can scroll thru and select items quickly, and also tweet (from clipboard paste to twitter client), fb or email article links quickly.
    Thanks for the app.

"How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"
  9.    #9  
    App updated with some UI changes.
    Awesome. Was hoping someone would make something like this.
  11.    #11  
    Btw the streaming of the BBC World news live is from the official site and not VPR. I am thinking of adding some additional BBC podcasts - if there are any requests, please let me know.
  12.    #12  
    Did a major re-write of app. I think it looks nicer now, especially with the thumbnail images in the lists.
    The main bug is that there will be some 404's since not all the pages have mobile views.
    Also tried to implement "flick" to navigate from list to list but it doesn't work very well.
    yes, nice work - i like the pics.

I would ask can you add the bbc sport news feed in as an option on the top left button?

Thanks for a nice value-add app for my pre2
    ___
    My Palm PDA history: m130 > Tungsten T > Tungsten T|X > Pre 2 > HP Pre 3 (unlocked)
    My Mobile history: Nokia 5146 > 3110 > Samsung D900 > N73 > Nokia 6300 > Pre 2 (convergence!) > HP Pre 3
    My Tablet history: HP TouchPad 32Gb (model A - 1st gen)
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by msdavies View Post
    yes, nice work - i like the pics.

I would ask can you add the bbc sport news feed in as an option on the top left button?

Thanks for a nice value-add app for my pre2
    The upper left button is for Podcasts - do you mean this one?
    BBC - Podcasts - 5livesportsextra
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    The upper left button is for Podcasts - do you mean this one?
    BBC - Podcasts - 5livesportsextra
    Ok I misinterpreted slightly then. Yes that would be great I could try test match special then to hear us beating the aussies!

I will try this podcast option out - but I don't have wifi or 3G at home so may be slow.

My original query I was wondering if you have any filters for the rss feed to take the sports news feed from BBC or not - I guess that would be a top right button option then?
    EDIT - I found Sports on the top right button lmao!! Thanks!!!

Thanks for your time on this app I like using it.

Thanks,
    Mark
    ___
    My Palm PDA history: m130 > Tungsten T > Tungsten T|X > Pre 2 > HP Pre 3 (unlocked)
    My Mobile history: Nokia 5146 > 3110 > Samsung D900 > N73 > Nokia 6300 > Pre 2 (convergence!) > HP Pre 3
  16.    #16  
    Glad you found the Sports news feed
    As the Ashes are over, I don't think that 5LiveExtra podcast would be relevant. Perhaps the Fivelive football daily?
    BBC - Podcasts - 5 live Football Daily
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Glad you found the Sports news feed
    As the Ashes are over, I don't think that 5LiveExtra podcast would be relevant. Perhaps the Fivelive football daily?
    BBC - Podcasts - 5 live Football Daily
    The Ashes definitely aren't over!! We lead 1-0 with 3 test to play!! I'm on the plane to Perth next week but I'm sure many followers that remain in Blighty will be glad of the feed!

Come on England!!

Thanks,
    Mark
    ___
  18.    #18  
    My bad lol. Goes to show I am not a cricket fan. OK will put up the Sports Extra podcast.
  19.    #19  
    Update v 1.7.0 Added Ashes Test Match Special Podcast as per request. Attempted bugfix to launch FB beta if FB not installed. Let me know if this does not work
    Hi, nice app but it says

"unable to load data. internet connection not available or server is down"

I know that the BBC have a habit of blocking apps from grabbing data but hopefully it is just their servers playing up. Cant wait to use it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast