webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Homebrew Apps > Mobile Hotspot and Netflix w/ Wii
Mobile Hotspot and Netflix w/ Wii

Old 11/06/2010, 01:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Ok so i have a Nintendo wii which i have downloaded the netflix app for. i connect my wii to the internet using my pre and mobile hot-spot. It works great except for every 19 minutes exactly it loses its connection while streaming. I know theres alot of different things it can be but does anyone have any ideas or settings i may be able to change on my phone to fix this? Thanks for your help.

-Medina
DJMedina3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/06/2010, 11:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I'm not quite sure what's causing your issue, but wanted to warn you that streaming movies will probably go through your 5gb/month allowance pretty quickly lol.

Be careful or you'll get slapped with overage charges.
Garrett92C is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: verwon
Old 11/06/2010, 12:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

It could just be Netflix. Their movies don't always stream very well and it could be made especially bad if something affects your phone signal, even briefly.

I could never stream without interruption, until I got a super fast FiOs connectionn.
Old 11/06/2010, 04:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

My U-verse was down for a few days so I was hopping on xbox live with my pre and couldn't play MW2 without having to guess where I was shooting and running from all the lag, buuuut Netflix was streaming almost flawlessly, sometimes got HD quality. Never tried on my Wii. Are you using the new Netflix channel or the disc? I would check both ways and see what happens.

P.S. At&t lost a subscriber because of their crappy fiber optic technology, it's a joke. I don't care if Comcast cable menus look stuck in the 90's, I'm happy now.
stevealaniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/06/2010, 08:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

My only solution is to reset the app. I would also appreciate some assistance.
anifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2011, 10:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've been having issue playing Call of Duty online with my palm pre plus mobile hotspot. Keeps disconnecting. I timed it while I was playing and guess what? It stopped at 19 minutes. My guess is there is a setting in the phone to disconnect a device from the hotspot if too much data is downloaded in a certain amount of time. I may be wrong, but why else would it just drop a connection? I've tried more troubleshooting than anyone else on any forum I have read and I'm running out of ways to connect this thing to my wii. The only thing I haven't tried is connecting the wii to a router via lan and using that as a bridge to the phone or sharing the internet connection through laptop. If that doesn't work, then the problem is the phone dropping the connection after a certain amount of data has been downloaded in a certain amount of time. If this does work (will try this weekend, just got the cable) then the problem is something about the Nintendo wifi connection just not liking this phone.
like2nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/01/2011, 09:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

use nodoze, ur os is going into power save mode or whatever, just use it (u dont have to have the screen always on option checked)
chronicjim@Msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/01/2011, 09:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

I would guess that the carrier results connections at certain intervals assuming its just an open connection that isn't valid. I think I remember reading here last summer that someone posted the time out for sprint or maybe at&t that confirmed this. Too far back for me to find the post, but I'll keep looking.
Cantaffordit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/01/2011, 11:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

what carrier are you using?
blue duck butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2011, 11:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

i have the same problem every time i play mario kart online i can do about 3 races then i get cut off. someone please help.
melaleuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2011, 11:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

try the preware tethering app, if you get the same problem, I would say it is the wireless service
fubka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2011, 11:00 AM   #12 (permalink)

Can FreeTether co-exist with mobile hotspot? Obviously you can only use one or the other at a time - but does installing FreeTether interfere in any way with Mobile Hotspot?
UncleVanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2011, 11:18 AM   #13 (permalink)

yes, I only use freetether, although they both do work together
fubka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2011, 11:19 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubka View Post
yes, I only use freetether, although they both do work together
I only have used Mobile Hotspot - what is the advantage of using FreeTether?
UncleVanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2011, 12:20 PM   #15 (permalink)

IIRC, freethether will not use your "mobile hotspot" data but rather your standard data package.

Check here: Application:FreeTether - WebOS Internals
Old 04/18/2014, 09:40 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubka View Post
try the preware tethering app, if you get the same problem, I would say it is the wireless service

I know this is old an I just wanted this to be out.. hopefully someone could help. I have a metro lg motion an ive always used my mobile hotspot to watch netflix, an im over at a buddies, an I tried connecting my hotspot to his wii, it'll load all the way up to the episode or movie an wont actually load the movie. It'll load netflix though, what could be the problem there?
NinaVera Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0