Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Description:

I.C.E. stands for, “In case of emergency” and is often used by paramedics and EMTs to obtain contact information when a patient is unable to provide it. The free version of this app can store a single contact along with blood type and date of birth. The contact can be tapped to open the dialer and dial the contact.

The program opens at a read-only screen reducing the likelihood that information will be modified or removed by someone unfamiliar with the WebOS device. You can modify information via the menu when you’re really to add or change information. Put this application in your Launcher and it will be visible to all who start the phone.

(Important Note: I am unable to override or modify the lock screen! If you have a PIN to start, this application cannot be accessed.)

The ICE Free application has the following features:
    • Selection of a contact (eventually up to 2 contacts) to open the phone dialer.
    • Read-only start view to reduce the likelihood of an unknown user modifying the information.
    • Quick access to information during an emergency.

Features planned for the near future:

• Possibly adding alert section in personal info
    • Adding checkboxes for alert section, such as Heart Condition, etc.

Known problems:

• Sometimes the app may have to be closed and reopened with existing information
    • Upgrade from earlier versions may not work properly. Simply remove and reinstall.

Changelog:

v0.8.0:
    • Allows for multiple phone number selection when Select From Contacts is used
    • Now displays a confirmation dialog and auto-dials when I.C.E. contacts are tapped.

v0.7.5:
    • Automatically capitalizes each word of the name (Add Contact & Add Personal Info scenes)
    • Minor bug fixes and optimization

v0.7.0:
    • Added the ability to select from existing contacts
    • Populated Add... scenes with existing info

v0.6.0
    • Added the ability to create a 2nd contact
    • Added Notes section
    • Increased the options for Relationships of contacts

v0.5.0
    Initial public release

Download:
    http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/ice-free-beta
    Last edited by RickNeff; 11/07/2010 at 11:59 PM.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    Fantastic idea! Great App for the home screen.. right up top where anyone who's never used a device can see it right away! Thanks!
    Great idea. Just make sure the launcher icon really represents the function of this app. If you need graphic assistance, there are many talented people on this forum (they haunt the wallpaper threads) that I am sure would help out. I'll lend a hand if you want.
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    great job I'll be downloading. You just never now when it will need to be used. I've heard of this things being used in car accidents.
    I'd have the Icon named "I.C.E. Emergency" I know it sounds reduntant, but I think this would catch people's understanding faster than just I.C.E would. Just a thought
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I'd have the Icon named "I.C.E. Emergency" I know it sounds reduntant, but I think this would catch people's understanding faster than just I.C.E would. Just a thought
    Actually, it's labeled ICE - In case of Emergency. I've tried to think about how this would be used in practice, and if one were searching through the pages, most probably would know what I.C.E. meant. It should also show up in universal search too.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by noco37 View Post
    Just make sure the launcher icon really represents the function of this app.
    The icon looks similar to this: http://www.mesastate.edu/healthscien...s/emt_icon.jpg with the letters I.C.E. centered on it.

But, since I'm no artist (and my icon isn't as nice as the one I pasted the URL for) I'm asking the same person who created my Percent Table icon create this one as well.
    Richard Neff

Quote Originally Posted by RickNeff View Post
    The icon looks similar to this: http://www.mesastate.edu/healthscien...s/emt_icon.jpg with the letters I.C.E. centered on it.

But, since I'm no artist (and my icon isn't as nice as the one I pasted the URL for) I'm asking the same person who created my Percent Table icon create this one as well.
    Cool, so you have that in order. I did do some quick searching to see if there was an "official" ICE logo, but did not see one. I agree with your idea of using the Star of Life with ICE over it.

I do like the logo the Red Knights MC use on their ICE page
    ICE - Incase of Emergency
  9.    #9  
    Cool, so you have that in order. I did do some quick searching to see if there was an "official" ICE logo, but did not see one. I agree with your idea of using the Star of Life with ICE over it.
    I also wish there was a non-trademarked "official" ICE logo that could be easily used.

I do like the logo the Red Knights MC use on their ICE page
    ICE - Incase of Emergency
    The problem is that it really doesn't work well as a WebOS icon. (Or, if it could be made to, I'm not artistic enough to create it.)
    Richard Neff

I also wish there was a non-trademarked "official" ICE logo that could be easily used.

The problem is that it really doesn't work well as a WebOS icon. (Or, if it could be made to, I'm not artistic enough to create it.)
    No, I tried to do a quick scale of that to see how it would work. It is unreadable at the correct size.... if I remember icon sizes for the pre correctly.

64x64 - launcher
    48x48 - icon used in app catalog
    32x32 - icon used in mojo-generated scenes
    24x24 - notification icon

Because it is late and I was bored, I figured I'd spend a few min and crack something up for fun...
    Attached Images Attached Images
  11.    #11  
    if I remember icon sizes for the pre correctly.
    64x64 - launcher
    48x48 - icon used in app catalog
    32x32 - icon used in mojo-generated scenes
    24x24 - notification icon
    That's correct, but I'm only using the 64x64 and 32x32 icons in my app.

Because it is late and I was bored, I figured I'd spend a few min and crack something up for fun...
    Thanks! I'll keep that one in mind if the other person I've got doing it falls through.
    Richard Neff

Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    I'm still not seeing the app listed anywhere... besides, I just listed info in my contacts directly:
    In my brothers' profiles, I listed "ICE Brother" in either the 'Company' or 'Nickname' fields in their Contact Profile -these are both searchable fields in Universal Search
  13.    #13  
    I'm still not seeing the app listed anywhere...
    That's because it hasn't been approved on the Homebrew catalog yet.

besides, I just listed info in my contacts directly
    Obviously, you can do that too. But, this thread is to talk about the I.C.E. app specifically. Other threads exist in the Off Topic section to talk about alternate methods.
    Richard Neff

How about something simple and straightforward like this?

Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    ~
    Last edited by warlord9159; 10/17/2010 at 02:36 AM.
    PayPal Make a donation and/or hit the Thanks button please
    My home page. >>>>>CMCS<<<<

It's nice to see other people jumping in with icons.. The webOS community is great!
  17.    #17  
    I do appreciate everyone jumping in with icons. However, Remix2000 is who I asked first and he came back with the attached. I'll be using this icon since I asked him initially and he's done a very good job, IMHO. (However, it's not actually in the first version that will likely show up in the Homebrew Catalog until I update the app.)

Again, thanks for everyone jumping in!
    Richard Neff

I do appreciate everyone jumping in with icons. However, Remix2000 is who I asked first and he came back with the attached. I'll be using this icon since I asked him initially and he's done a very good job, IMHO. (However, it's not actually in the first version that will likely show up in the Homebrew Catalog until I update the app.)

Looks good. I placed that icon on my launcher and it works well. I can't wait till this hits the feeds.

Thanks for the compliment. It was a pleasure designing another icon for you.
    Cellphone History- Audiovox CDM9155> Sanyo 5150>Samsung SCH-1000>Samsung N400> PalmTreo 300> Palm Treo 600>Palm Treo 700P> Palm Centro> Palm Pre
    Great looking icon... that layout is definitely self-explanatory nicely done
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast