Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    Premote is a media and http server/client package for WebOS (client) and Windows PC (server). This is the first release and so it may be a bit rough around the edges.

For the moment both the client and the server are Closed-Source although this may change in the future.

Features

• Stream videos of any format from your PC – Access media directories on your PC and stream them to your Pre in MP4 format. Uses VLC to transcode video files to the correct format and stream them over RTSP.
    • Stream your PC Screen – View what’s happening on your PC screen from your Pre. High-frame rate with a short lag.
    • Execute shell commands on your PC – Send commands to your PC to be executed in the Windows command shell. Allows you to useful commands such as ‘ipconfig’, ‘ping’ and ‘tracert’ and receive information from the shell output.

Instructions For Use

On the Windows PC
    Before starting make sure you have Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 installed.

1. Download and install VLC Player to C:\Program Files\VideoLAN (make sure that vlc.exe is present at C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe).
    2. Open up Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Environmental Variables, and add "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\" to the PATH variable.
    3. Download and install Premote Server to any location (currently this is a standalone executable that can be copied anywhere).
    4. Open the Premote Server application, select an IP Address to listen on (this should be the IP address of the adapter that is connected to the router that you will be connecting your Pre too), then click ‘Start’.
    5. The server should give a message in the log to confirm that it has started correctly.

On the Palm Pre

1. Download and install Premote using WebOS Quick Install or Preware (not available through Preware at time of writing).
    2. Open Premote and tap the ‘Settings’ button.
    3. Change the IP address in the top text-field to the IP you selected in Premote Server in step 3 above.
    4. Select your required video and audio options (NOTE: current optimal options are as follows – video bitrate: 1024, video fps: 20 or 30, audio bitrate: 24, audio samplerate: 8000).
    5. Swipe back to save the settings.

Known Issues

• Unable to pause or seek video streams. RTSP does not allow this. Currently looking towards implementing two solutions to this: 1. Allow HTTP progressive download streaming: this would allow for pausing and some seeking. 2. Embed videos in Premote and add VLC remote options for video interaction.
    • When browsing folders, occasionally a folder will fail to open and so the scene will transition to the same folder you were already in. Tapping the folder a second time should open it correctly.

Planned Updates

• Http progressive streaming options.
    • VLC Remoting.
    • Ability to stream video from internet (i.e. stream unsupported formats such as Flash video from URL).
    • Message me with a feature request and if it’s viable I’ll add it to this list.

Troubleshooting

• Connection: If you’re accessing the server from an external IP, you will need to forward ports 5544 (TCP) and 5548 (TCP) to your server’s IP address. You may also need to open them on some internal networks depending on how strict they are.
    • Video Streaming: Optimal options are listed in the How-To steps above. If a file fails to stream, check whether VLC has prompted you about a broken video file: if it has you can click ignore to continue streaming as normal. Please make me aware of any other streaming problems you have and I will do my best to assist.
    • Command Line Execution: Currently this may fail to return results occasionally. It should work fine for all built in MS-DOS commands. If you’re planning on running complex commands through it, consider creating a batch file that runs the commands and executing that through the server instead.
    • Screen Streaming: This is unlikely to ever run in real-time as it absorbs masses of CPU power running with minimal command line arguments so don’t expect much improvement. Currently it runs only at 30fps but I’ll hook it up to the streaming settings at some point.
    • Kill Process: If for some reason this button fails to kill the processes then you can close any instances of VLC from the system tray. Closing the server should also kill any linked instances.
    • High CPU-Usage on PC: Streaming is fairly resource intensive. This is down to VLC so there is not much I can do about this. Decreasing video frame-rate and bit-rate might ease the use of resources a little.

NOTES

If you have any suggestions, whether for bugfixes or new features, please message me or post in this thread and I'll see what I can do.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by semprance; 09/15/2010 at 05:12 AM.
    Mntz and mayank like this.
    Wow. This is great! So, is this the door to home security on the Pre? Have a motion webcam that emails & stores new photos taken when triggered. Would be nice one day to see through my webcam on my Pre. Even a way to convert and play automatically on the Pre would be really slick. Nice idea!
  3.    #3  
    As with screen streaming, real-time streaming is possible (with some lag), so yes it would be possible to stream a webcam/cctv stream that your PC is receiving to your Pre.

Conversion followed by playing would also be possible. In fact I can make it so that you can stream the video as normal, and have it convert and save the stream somewhere on your PC. I'll certainly give this idea some consideration.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post
    Wow. This is great! So, is this the door to home security on the Pre? Have a motion webcam that emails & stores new photos taken when triggered. Would be nice one day to see through my webcam on my Pre. Even a way to convert and play automatically on the Pre would be really slick. Nice idea!
    I use Mobiscope for home security, which I run through Classic App. It is awesome. I also use RDM+ to access my computer but navigation is quite rigid but works. I can't wait to try this out.

"How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"
  5.    #5  
    If you need additional support for streaming your home security let me know, I can make the necessary tweaks to allow viewing of it if necessary.
    I keep getting a HttpServer error.
    Running Windows 7. I connect and can browse my folders, but when I select a file to stream the server app crashes in Windows.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  8.    #8  
    mamouton: where do you receive this error? hwhat is the exact error text?

NickDG: streaming is handled entire,y by VLC. Check that the VLC installation is correct and that this file is present: c:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe - also have you added c:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\ to the PATH variable?

UPDATE: Sorry, the instructions in my original post did say that you should add "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\vlc.exe" to the PATH var. This should actually be "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\"
    Last edited by semprance; 09/15/2010 at 05:14 AM.
    I am running Windows XP and when I access my files and try to open any video I get the httpserver error on my machine.
    HttpSErver has encountered a problem and needs to close. WE are sorry for the inconvenience.
    This is the message I get on my PC desktop. I also notice on my Pre that I usually have to kill the process sometimes and restart Premote for the folders to register. As soon as I see the folders and try to click on an
    C:\BIN,%PATH%,C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\
    is my Path variable do I need to put the vlc right behind the bin statement?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    I am running Windows XP and when I access my files and try to open any video I get the httpserver error on my machine.
    I have only tested on Windows 7 so far although I see no reason why it wouldn't work on XP so I'm thinking that OS isn't the problem. I will try it out on XP later on today.

Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    is my Path variable do I need to put the vlc right behind the bin statement?
    Each entry in the PATH var should be separated by a semi-colon ( ; ) and the VLC entry can be placed anywhere in the variable. I don't think there's any precedence based on position.

This is very strange. Once I've tested on an XP machine I'll post back.
  11.    #11  
    Ok, I've just checked and if the PATH variable is not set correctly, the program will debug. I'll add some handling so a proper error message is thrown, and I'll change the server startup-logic so that it checks the PATH variable and updates as necessary every time the server opens.

Double-check your PATH variable and post back if tweaking it does not fix the problem.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    It keeps showing "Loading Directory" and will not do anything else on my pre.

I use windows 7 64bit home. I followed your directions but find there is two variable sections in environmental variables.

User Variable for User and System Variables. I added the path you state in both sections and still cant connect. any ideas?
  13.    #13  
    The path should only be in the PATH variable of the System Variables section.

If it continuously shows "Loading Directory" then the client is likely failing to connect to the server. Check that you are listening to the correct IP and maybe try opening the ports up on your router (see top post for ports).
    ..will this handle audio streaming?
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
  15.    #15  
    Sort of. If you select a music file instead of video, it will stream the audio, but it won't be good quality. This is mostly due to the fact that the video streamer uses mpga audio rather than something better, and also I've limited how high the bitrate can be set to 128kbps although this will change in the future.

In terms of implementing fuller audio support, I might consider it but what with ampache mobile being accessible and high quality, there doesn't seem to be much point in reinventing the wheel.
    Quote Originally Posted by semprance View Post
    Sort of. If you select a music file instead of video, it will stream the audio, but it won't be good quality. This is mostly due to the fact that the video streamer uses mpga audio rather than something better, and also I've limited how high the bitrate can be set to 128kbps although this will change in the future.

In terms of implementing fuller audio support, I might consider it but what with ampache mobile being accessible and high quality, there doesn't seem to be much point in reinventing the wheel.
    ....i guess I was hoping for something easier to setup than ampache...i've never been successful in completing the process. i'm no computer genius but i feel it should be within my reach. oh well, maybe i'll try both, one for audio and the other for my movies and recorded tv....thanks for your work with webOS!
  17.    #17  
    I can see the appeal of having one app that streams both audio and video, so I will think about implementing at least some basic mp3 or aac playback. Currently the streamer doesn't even differentiate between filetypes and will happily try and open non-media files as if they are videos which can cause various errors for the server, the client and vlc - once this is fixed I can look at having better audio support.
    Thanks it works now it needed the semicolon. I was able to stream mov, wmv, avi, iso
    (very spotty) files. How can you set it up to play via EVO? Can you set it up to be able to type servers in the PC side and save them on the Pre side? This is great! Thanks!
    Last edited by mamouton; 09/16/2010 at 08:16 PM.
  19.    #19  
    What do you mean by typing in servers on the PC? The selectable servers are only the localhost address (127.0.0.1) and any connected network adapters.

I will add in the ability to save a list of server ips for the next release as I agree that this handy for computers that have regular IP changes.
    I would like to be able to type in my wan address or dydns address if possible. Are there plans to allow the user to access via the wan?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast