Page 8 of 88 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131858 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    So you're the one causing all the trouble—I have seen color-blind updates for several apps recently. That's gotta be appreciated by others with this uncommon view on the world, so keep crusading!

Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    The only thing I didn't like about it was un-toggling shuffle every single night for sequential genre play. Other than that in a (close to) year of using it, I never had one single problem.
    And you know what's great? That's fixed now!

I've a feeling Dan would provide you the IPK for the previous release if you asked nicely—then you could install it yourself whenever you wanted. But if you're a little more patient and watch this space, he might even surprise you with a solution that accommodates you without compromising his own vision for his app.

At any rate, I'll check back sometime and see what this glow looks like. Since zParticle and yourself are clearly not color blind, you'll have no idea what's needed, nor are you accepting input from a color blind person on what is which is why I "opened my mouth". I thought I was offering help and guidance from a view point you are incapable of experiencing.

It's not just color issues with color blindness, there's major contrast issues as well. It's quite possible the glow will go un-noticed unless it's made very gaudy and stark to your eyes for mine to perceive the difference.
    So help me out here. Are you saying that you wouldn't notice a difference between a white on black icon and a light blue on black icon with an "LED glow" around it, i.e. more lit pixels? This approach actually changes the icon graphic without changing its meaning. See below.

Why you can't simply make it change to parallel lines is beyond me.
    I responded to this very point above. Ah, here it is:

Quote Originally Posted by zParticle View Post
    It's an interesting idea, but the problem with having dynamic icons represent the current state of the shuffle and repeat controls would be that the default state provides a much less descriptive representation of what the buttons are actually for. Two parallel arrows for "sequential play", a single arrow for "no repeat"—you'd probably just think "what's with all the arrows?"
    This isn't to dismiss the idea outright—that could work well in the right context—it's just that I believe Dan has put a lot of thought into how people are going to actually use this app, and to keep the icon count down they need to be as intuitive as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Looks totally awesome! Psyched for it to hit preware. Don't trust myself to do it the other way. :P

Lies. I decided to man up and try something new. Installed with the link to the ipk via preware and it worked flawlessly. Really a stunning app. Geostrings is really impressive as well. I'll make sure to purchase when this hits the catalog. Thanks!

P.S. I'll let you know if I discover any bugs/come up with any suggestions.
    Last edited by Psychonaut; 09/04/2010 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Post Scriptum
    i was curious as to why we cant tab the song progress bar to skip to that part of the song and instead have to grad it along like you can with the mini player
    Dan, I still don't like that if I want to add a song to a flylist already featuring that very song, I get a huge error popping up and I actually have to hit a button to continue. Would a more subtle message not yield the same result?
    Best webOS-mod ever: have a look
    I LOVE THIS!!!! Thanks for such a wonderful app!! I didn't think the app needed to be better or ever could improve that much but you really made this awesome!! Thanks!! It's my favorite!!
  6.    #146  
    Xanadu73,

Regardless of what other larger companies do, if I provide software to the public, I feel compelled to support it. And that's why the old version has been removed. Similar to most other apps in the app catalog, I'm only providing access to the latest version for download and support.

But as a one-time case, considering your special situation, I would be willing to email you the IPK. If you're interested, PM me. But please do not distribute it and keep in mind it will be unsupported.

Since you think the glow wouldn't work, then we'll scrap that idea. I don't want to change it to 2 straight lines because I designed every single piece of the app and have a specific vision as to how it looks and behaves. I'll think about it some more and see if I can come up with something.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
  7.    #147  
    Quote Originally Posted by fullmoon280 View Post
    i was curious as to why we cant tab the song progress bar to skip to that part of the song and instead have to grad it along like you can with the mini player
    On both the Now Playing list view screen, and the progress bar mini-player module, you can tap the progress bar to have it skip to that part of the song. Or am I not understanding your question?
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

8.    #148  
    Quote Originally Posted by ltjSpin View Post
    Dan, I still don't like that if I want to add a song to a flylist already featuring that very song, I get a huge error popping up and I actually have to hit a button to continue. Would a more subtle message not yield the same result?
    I can see it both ways, but normally when you have an error condition, it should be presented to the user in a more obvious way to make sure they see it. Otherwise they may think the operation they initiated succeeded ("no news is good news").

Considering this mentality, how would you suggest I handle this particular error?

9.    #149  
    Quote Originally Posted by Proto-x2 View Post
    wow what a great music player. I really like the way the user is able to chose the next song without having to go into the app
    Thanks! I'm guessing you're talking about the mini-player available when the card is minimized, right? I think that was one of the great ideas implemented by the built-in music app. Features like this are only possible on webOS and should have been more prominently demonstrated to the public in their advertisements.

However I wanted to take the concept to the next level. First I wanted to make the dashboard controls more finger-friendly, so similar to the app's Now Playing screen, there are large tap areas for the basic music controls, instead of having the controls bunched together.

And the major change is the addition of multiple control modules within the mini-player. And in the future I may also include more choices for new modules. One in particular that I have in mind is a playlist/flylist selector. It would be structured the same as the Basic Music Controls module with a text area in the middle and two navigation buttons on either side. The user could then scroll through all the playlists and flylists on their device and tap the one they wish to play next. For someone with a relatively small number of playlists/flylists, it would work really well. And of course it would be configurable on the Preferences screen.
    Last edited by DanPLC; 09/04/2010 at 07:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Considering this mentality, how would you suggest I handle this particular error?
    First off, I see you. The problem with feedback to the user after such an action is obvious. If there were an option to use the big error and let it fade... anyway, in this special case I don't think it makes a difference and therefore it's not necessary to display the error-screen.
    If the title is already in the flylist, I'd simply go ahead and tell the user in the typical notification area (where you usually display the successful addition to the list). What the user originally wanted is already done (so it's sort of a success). I'd just leave it at that
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I can see it both ways, but normally when you have an error condition, it should be presented to the user in a more obvious way to make sure they see it. Otherwise they may think the operation they initiated succeeded ("no news is good news").

I can see where modal dialogs can get annoying. How about a dashboard notification? You just see something like this at the bottom of the screen:

Error: Song already exists in target flylist
    i have a new found love for my pre.... amazing what an app can do for a phone
  13.    #153  
    Quote Originally Posted by ltjSpin View Post
    First off, I see you. The problem with feedback to the user after such an action is obvious. If there were an option to use the big error and let it fade... anyway, in this special case I don't think it makes a difference and therefore it's not necessary to display the error-screen.
    If the title is already in the flylist, I'd simply go ahead and tell the user in the typical notification area (where you usually display the successful addition to the list). What the user originally wanted is already done (so it's sort of a success). I'd just leave it at that
    I think you're right for this specific error case. If the song is already in there, then there's no harm if they miss the error message. I'll make this change.

14.    #154  
    Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalez2066 View Post
    i have a new found love for my pre.... amazing what an app can do for a phone
    Thanks a lot!

15.    #155  
    The Last.FM representative just contacted me to let me know my commercial application has been approved! So we're now officially good to go on including Last.FM scrobbling in the final product.

Congrats on that :-)

I forgot to say, silly me is happy like a little child with a new toy. Well, this is a new toy - but it really made the difference. Now with that little change and all, wow
    Loving the beta DanPLC!! Love the UI and the miniplayer, but one thing with the miniplayer I feel is missing a home button. If I'm in another app and want to go quickly to Music Player Remix 2.0 I would usually hit the notification (on other apps) and tap on them to switch me to the app. Now I know the Miniplayer has great functionality, but I just thought a home icon on the miniplayer would be nice. Scrolling through all my cards sometimes gets annoying = ]!

thanks
    iPhone 1gen august 2007- may 2010
    Repaired: headphone jack twice. Buttons and back cover once. Screen has a crack.

Palm Pre Plus may 2010-now

LOVE IT
  18.    #158  
    Quote Originally Posted by cursiv View Post
    Loving the beta DanPLC!! Love the UI and the miniplayer, but one thing with the miniplayer I feel is missing a home button. If I'm in another app and want to go quickly to Music Player Remix 2.0 I would usually hit the notification (on other apps) and tap on them to switch me to the app. Now I know the Miniplayer has great functionality, but I just thought a home icon on the miniplayer would be nice. Scrolling through all my cards sometimes gets annoying = ]!

thanks
    Yeah I've thought of the same thing. I'm thinking of ways to do that.

Also on the mini-player, this isnt a big issue but when hitting play and pause sometimes the icon flashes like its refreshing, recreate by just tapping play and pause several times in a row, not a big deal.

Also the scrubber isnt updating while on lockscreen?
    It only updates when I have the notification area selected then lock the screen.
    iPhone 1gen august 2007- may 2010
    Repaired: headphone jack twice. Buttons and back cover once. Screen has a crack.

Palm Pre Plus may 2010-now

LOVE IT
  20.    #160  
    Quote Originally Posted by cursiv View Post
    Also on the mini-player, this isnt a big issue but when hitting play and pause sometimes the icon flashes like its refreshing, recreate by just tapping play and pause several times in a row, not a big deal.

Also the scrubber isnt updating while on lockscreen?

Update: it wasnt updating now it is? i dunno = / lol
    I'm not sure if I'll be able to do anything about the flashing pause/play icon while on the lock screen. If you notice, the text scrolls in a choppy manner in the mini-player. I think in general dashboard items don't animate very smoothly while on the lock screen.

Thanks for letting me know about the scrubber not updating while on the lock screen. I'll look into it.

Page 8 of 88 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131858 ... LastLast