Page 75 of 88 FirstFirst ... 2565707172737475767778798085 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,500 of 1753
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1481  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    I really hope Palm (HP, whatever) can find a way to do right by those of us that have been around for a while and especially by the devs like you that have been working so hard for the "underdog" platform when you could have been putting all that effort into developing for mobile OSs with user bases many times that of webOS.
    This community is what kept webOS going when it was clearly losing the mobile wars. I don't think I've ever seen such a dedicated bunch of people (at least ones who support a technology platform). HP needs to realize that this is a great asset for them and something that distinguishes them from the other platforms.

This app is one of the biggest reasons I am upset with the news about not getting 2.x on my Sprint Pre. I was really looking forward to new apps that have access to the previously "locked down" APIs.
    Yeah I was also looking forward to apps taking advantage of 2.0 features. I'm also obviously reliant on Music Player (Remix) myself being a music fan, so now I have to carry around two devices (my Sprint Pre and my developer phone running 2.0). I've been doing that during testing, but I figured this was a short-term thing. It kinda sucks having to carry around two devices...but I can't give up Remix!

I do hope you choose to continue developing for webOS as I think the future does still look bright for the platform, even if that future doesn't happen to include a lot of us "oldtimers".
    That's the big question now. Do I put in a bunch of time to convert my apps to Enyo in hopes of a user base existing 6 months from now or do I move to another platform that has an established user base. Or do I just give up completely. I've put in a lot of my spare time into this and I don't know if I can do it again. My decision will depend on Enyo and what Palm tells the developers. Hopefully we'll hear something directly from them.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    I would love a geo-strings type of app on Android
  3.    #1483  
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    I would love a geo-strings type of app on Android
    If I did move to another platform, I would probably port Music Player (Remix) first. While the concept behind GeoStrings is super cool, I think most people don't realize it. But I think most people can appreciate a good music listening experience on a mobile device.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Dan, what carrier are you on?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    PSN: StuntmanMark
    Twitter: @StuntmanMark

The Name: http://is.gd/nxnbhK
    I would repurchase your apps on android. Geostrings is awesome. I hope you decide to develop for android as well. It has a large userbase on all carriers and mature SDK that allows the creation of music apps. Hope to see you at androidcentral someday.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    If I did move to another platform, I would probably port Music Player (Remix) first. While the concept behind GeoStrings is super cool, I think most people don't realize it. But I think most people can appreciate a good music listening experience on a mobile device.
    Yeah correct I haven't really tried none of the android type of music apps but I'm sure overall yours would be the best.
    I love and miss using Geo strings, being at the store location and reminding me to do something is the best thing. I forget to get stuff all the time. I looked and is still looking for an android type of app to remind me. I'm not saying forget about WebOS but others and more users could love your work also. 2 years of developing and ideas wouldn't go away just expanded. Even windows 7 have more apps than WebOS already.

But its only a dream Dan is loyal to WebOS
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbird34608 View Post
    I would repurchase your apps on android. Geostrings is awesome. I hope you decide to develop for android as well. It has a large userbase on all carriers and mature SDK that allows the creation of music apps. Hope to see you at androidcentral someday.
    Yeah, I'm seriously thinking of going with an EVO or Epic or something right now. Can't imagine anything on Android is as good as even the "lite" version of your app
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Dan, hoping you decide to stick it out.

Isn't the Veer coming out in spring? That will at least be a WebOS2.0 phone coming out a bit sooner. I must admit, i think the target market for the Veer is probably less likely to buy apps, but if it sells well, that might be enough to keep you going until Summer...
  9.    #1489  
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMark View Post
    Dan, what carrier are you on?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I'm on Sprint with a Palm Pre. However I run my app on my developer phones (Pre+ and Pre 2).

10.    #1490  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbird34608 View Post
    Thanks a lot. If were to develop for another platform, I'd probably lean towards Android. But I haven't really taken a deep dive into any other platform, so I can't say for sure.

Thanks a lot. If were to develop for another platform, I'd probably lean towards Android. But I haven't really taken a deep dive into any other platform, so I can't say for sure.

Well, then, we may get to argue about things together on that side of fence . I guess I'm finding myself close to jumping on that band wagon too.

M.
  12.    #1492  
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Yeah correct I haven't really tried none of the android type of music apps but I'm sure overall yours would be the best.
    I love and miss using Geo strings, being at the store location and reminding me to do something is the best thing. I forget to get stuff all the time. I looked and is still looking for an android type of app to remind me. I'm not saying forget about WebOS but others and more users could love your work also. 2 years of developing and ideas wouldn't go away just expanded. Even windows 7 have more apps than WebOS already.

But its only a dream Dan is loyal to WebOS
    The only thing with moving to another platform is it would be starting over from scratch. I would have the design of the apps down, but still it would be a lot of rework. I think there's going to be quite a bit of rework with Enyo, but I imagine I wouldn't have to rewrite any of my Javascript classes or functions.

I don't think I'd ever go to WP7. I just can't get into their OS. There are things I like about Android and iOS (although webOS is infinitely better), but I don't know if there's anything I like about WP7.

13.    #1493  
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post

Isn't the Veer coming out in spring? That will at least be a WebOS2.0 phone coming out a bit sooner. I must admit, i think the target market for the Veer is probably less likely to buy apps, but if it sells well, that might be enough to keep you going until Summer...
    Yeah I thought of that too. If it does come out fairly soon, then that might be pretty good. But without a hard release date, I'm weary of the "sometime this spring" reference. It's too similar to the previous promises ("2.0 sometime in the fall", "2.0 sometime before the end of the year", "2.0 in the coming months").

14.    #1494  
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post

Yeah I thought of that too. If it does come out fairly soon, then that might be pretty good. But without a hard release date, I'm weary of the "sometime this spring" reference. It's too similar to the previous promises ("2.0 sometime in the fall", "2.0 sometime before the end of the year", "2.0 in the coming months").

As Xanadu73 pointed out, the public beta (1.4.x compatible version) uses the old media indexer which is a private API and thus the app will not be accepted into the catalog. But even if it was accepted, I probably wouldn't release it because I know it's not the best version I have available. To be able to release it, I'd have to go back and pull in all the non 2.0-specific enhancements and bug fixes from the private beta into the public beta. I really don't have the time (and heart) to re-do all my work.
    So even if they made a policy change or provided a software update to make the media indexer public, you wouldn't bother submitting the homebrew version that works on 1.4.5 to the catalog?

I have no idea how many people own a Pre 2, but I imagine the number is much less than the Pre and Pixi. I do think Pre 2 owners will buy it; however all of the people who have helped beta test the app are Pre (+/-) and Pixi (+/-) users. So none of my existing user base will be able to purchase it unless they upgrade to a new device.

I've come to learn that when Palm says "sometime in the summer", it'll mean either end of the summer or early fall. They're notorious for not hitting their release dates (even the vague ones). So I'm not sure if people will wait that long especially given yesterday's webOS 2.1 betrayal. If I wasn't vested in webOS as a developer, I don't know what I would do. Even though I love webOS, I probably would have left by now strictly because of my continuing hardware issues with the Pre. I'm on my 4th one.
    One way to think about it is there are more Pre 2 users that have a choice to buy your app than Pre/Pixi owners that can't. The former group will grow now that HP is selling them on Verizon along with the new hardware once it is released. The latter group is only going to shrink as people move on to newer hardware. If HP does release a way to doctor the old hardware, that would be great, but that group is still going to shrink.

Personally, I'm going to stick with webOS and if Sprint doesn't have new hardware by the end of summer, I guess I'll have to suck it up, hold my nose, and go with Verizon. At that point, I'd buy the app.

If you do decide to abandon webOS development, please consider GPL'ing what you have so that someone at webos internals or some other volunteer can keep it alive for the other diehards. It would be a shame to have a fine program disappear.
    All of my enhancements and fixes that I've been working on, including your fix, has gone into the private beta, since this is the version I'll be able to submit the app catalog. With all the work that I've been doing to improve the private beta, I haven't had time to duplicate those efforts and implement the same enhancements and fixes into the public beta.

I released the first public beta of Music Player (Remix) prior to developers even having access to the 2.0 SDK. So it still had the old version of the media indexer. I released updates to the public beta at a steady rate while I waited for the SDK. Finally we received the 2.0 SDK and I created a 2nd branch of the code (private beta) that utilized the new media indexer.

At first I implemented new features and fixes into both branches of the code. For instance, Twitter and Facebook posting (and the accompanying Discovery feature) can be found in both versions. However at some point I realized I had to focus solely on the private beta and continue the app's development there. So I've put a lot of time to make the app rock solid while also adding new features such as autolists, album art downloading, karaoke mode, etc.

So at this point, you can think of the public beta as a "lite" version of the app that isn't quite fully baked. It's quite functional as is, but the app catalog version is the final product. My latest private beta build is fully app catalog ready. I'm ready to submit it as soon as Palm allows developers to assign "2.0" as the minimum OS version.
    cool, thats what i was thinking....read your post about the non-updates for older devices, and i really hope you do stick around as a webOS developer, i am still on my original pre and the fact that theres no OTA update sux, but for me since my usb port is all jacked up(cant charge) so even the computer update will suck x2 for me.
  17.    #1497  
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    So even if they made a policy change or provided a software update to make the media indexer public, you wouldn't bother submitting the homebrew version that works on 1.4.5 to the catalog?
    The new media indexer is completely different than the old one. So I know they would never make the old one public. So there's no point in even contemplating the scenario.

But hypothetically if they did, then I may decide to try to take the app catalog version and re-implement the old media indexer. I think it would be easier than trying to implement all the new features and fixes back into the public beta.

One way to think about it is there are more Pre 2 users that have a choice to buy your app than Pre/Pixi owners that can't. The former group will grow now that HP is selling them on Verizon along with the new hardware once it is released. The latter group is only going to shrink as people move on to newer hardware. If HP does release a way to doctor the old hardware, that would be great, but that group is still going to shrink.

Personally, I'm going to stick with webOS and if Sprint doesn't have new hardware by the end of summer, I guess I'll have to suck it up, hold my nose, and go with Verizon. At that point, I'd buy the app.
    Well we'll see what happens. Hopefully it'll all work out.

If you do decide to abandon webOS development, please consider GPL'ing what you have so that someone at webos internals or some other volunteer can keep it alive for the other diehards. It would be a shame to have a fine program disappear.
    If I decide to move to another platform, I would take my apps with me, so I don't anticipate GPL'ing them since I won't be abandoning them. The Music Player (Remix) app will live on in some way.

But I'm hoping I feel better once I hear more from Palm and learn about the Enyo platform. I really do want to stay with webOS.

18.    #1498  
    Quote Originally Posted by retroblu View Post
    cool, thats what i was thinking....read your post about the non-updates for older devices, and i really hope you do stick around as a webOS developer, i am still on my original pre and the fact that theres no OTA update sux, but for me since my usb port is all jacked up(cant charge) so even the computer update will suck x2 for me.
    Can't you get a replacement phone? I couldn't imagine living without a working USB port.

19.    #1500  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Yes, I've been a member of the early access program since almost the beginning. That's how I've been able to work on a 2.0 app using the Beta SDK.