Page 74 of 88 FirstFirst ... 2464697071727374757677787984 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,480 of 1753
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1461  
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    I'm sure HP is trying. To get the update out to old phones, that requires carrier buy-in.

Don't give up yet. HP may be able to do something for the owners of the old hardware, and hopefully enough new people with new hardware will reward your hard work.
    I hope so, but it seems odds that Ruby would be so candid with Engadget and admit that older devices won't be getting the update.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
  2.    #1462  
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon View Post
    It's so strange because up until now Palm has been so great to its developers. From what I heard it might have to do with the palm profile between 1.X and 2.X being too different to reliably upgrade a device without wiping your profile data. Seems strange to me they couldn't figure this one out though. I'll gladly pay for your Pre 2 app, but this whole incident has left a bad taste in my mouth, especially for you. My only hope is that somehow Palm/HP redeems itself by providing users the ability to download their own update over usb without carrier intrusion and/or that they offer free or nearly free Pre3's, but that doesn't solve the immediate problem since the Pre3 presumably won't be here for 4-7 months!
    Well I'll be releasing the app on the Pre 2 as soon as they allow developers to specify "2.0" as the minimum OS version. Hopefully that won't be too much longer. I'll make an announcement here and on Twitter when it happens.

I'm sure you're correct that the real reason is a technical hurdle such as the incompatible profiles. They probably don't have the resources to be able to solve this problem and get the software ready for the new products. However now that Palm is owned by HP, it seems like they should be able to get a lot more people on the Palm team. HP seems to be placing a high priority on webOS (tablets, phones, and even desktops), so it seems like they should put more resources into Palm to ensure it can deliver the goods quickly.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I wanted to post an update for all Music Player (Remix) users. This may get a bit lengthy, so bear with me
    You're product has always been one of a handful of truly standout homebrew apps. From day one. It remains the go to player when i play music on my Pre. I can understand you concerns and sympathize with the situation that you're hard work may not be rewarded. I followed your player since the earliest version was available and remember the glee users got simply from that fact that it had a slider unlike the shortsighted Palm version music player. Good luck to you. You've been a credit to the WebOS platform and will be for whatever other platform you develop for.
    Thanks for all your work Dan. I've enjoyed your music player since the early beta stages. Hopefully, HP can pull something together but if you do stick around (depending on many factors for you) I'll still buy your app once I get my hands on the Pre3. Summer availability is a bummer though. Again, thanks for all your dev work. Remix 2.0 is just awesome!
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Ruby's comment about the older devices lacking horsepower seems to suggest that they won't provide 2.x to existing (legacy) devices. We'll have to wait for an official announcement, but right now it's not looking good.

For developers of 2.0 apps, this news is very disappointing.
    What's keeping you from releasing the current beta that works on 1.4.5 to the Palm catalog for those devices?

You don't think that anyone who has an existing Pre 2 will want to buy the app? Or is it that you think that existing users won't upgrade to newer hardware?

Hopefully something will get worked out to provide a way for the existing hardware to be upgraded to 2.0.x, if not 2.1.x
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Hi Dan,

I bought GeoStrungs just now to support you, even I do not need it. As you can not release the current webos1.4.5 version of Remixer to the app catalog.

I hope you go on to give us that quality apps that you did until now. I love the passion you invest in the user interfaces, as they are the thing that the user will rate an app on.
    The functionality can be good but if the user interface is bad the user will not take it. I know what I'm speaking about, as I'm a developer in my work live too.

HaPe
  7.    #1467  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    You're product has always been one of a handful of truly standout homebrew apps. From day one. It remains the go to player when i play music on my Pre. I can understand you concerns and sympathize with the situation that you're hard work may not be rewarded. I followed your player since the earliest version was available and remember the glee users got simply from that fact that it had a slider unlike the shortsighted Palm version music player. Good luck to you. You've been a credit to the WebOS platform and will be for whatever other platform you develop for.
    Thanks a lot. I remember the old days when you used to visit the old homebrew thread regularly. If it wasn't for all the discussions back then with you and everyone else, the app wouldn't be where it is today.

Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    What's keeping you from releasing the current beta that works on 1.4.5 to the Palm catalog for those devices?
    Any app that uses the Indexer Service will not be accepted into the App Catalog. Period.

M.
  9.    #1469  
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Thanks for all your work Dan. I've enjoyed your music player since the early beta stages. Hopefully, HP can pull something together but if you do stick around (depending on many factors for you) I'll still buy your app once I get my hands on the Pre3. Summer availability is a bummer though. Again, thanks for all your dev work. Remix 2.0 is just awesome!
    I really do want to stick around. I never once considered stopping webOS development until yesterday.

But I'll definitely release the app once I can do so. I'm going to wait to hear back from HP/Palm to see if I jump into Enyo development. Before I take the time to convert my apps to Enyo, I need to make sure something like this isn't going to happen again.

I need to make sure something like this isn't going to happen again.
    I know you're trying to stay optimistic, man, but you can't be serious with this. In two simple sentences (one from Ruby and one from HP themselves) they shunned the entire community that made webOS continue to exist today - it would've been dead a year ago otherwise. I really don't think they'll give it a second thought in the future.

M.
  11.    #1471  
    As Xanadu73 pointed out, the public beta (1.4.x compatible version) uses the old media indexer which is a private API and thus the app will not be accepted into the catalog. But even if it was accepted, I probably wouldn't release it because I know it's not the best version I have available. To be able to release it, I'd have to go back and pull in all the non 2.0-specific enhancements and bug fixes from the private beta into the public beta. I really don't have the time (and heart) to re-do all my work.

You don't think that anyone who has an existing Pre 2 will want to buy the app? Or is it that you think that existing users won't upgrade to newer hardware?
    I have no idea how many people own a Pre 2, but I imagine the number is much less than the Pre and Pixi. I do think Pre 2 owners will buy it; however all of the people who have helped beta test the app are Pre (+/-) and Pixi (+/-) users. So none of my existing user base will be able to purchase it unless they upgrade to a new device.

I've come to learn that when Palm says "sometime in the summer", it'll mean either end of the summer or early fall. They're notorious for not hitting their release dates (even the vague ones). So I'm not sure if people will wait that long especially given yesterday's webOS 2.1 betrayal. If I wasn't vested in webOS as a developer, I don't know what I would do. Even though I love webOS, I probably would have left by now strictly because of my continuing hardware issues with the Pre. I'm on my 4th one.

Hopefully something will get worked out to provide a way for the existing hardware to be upgraded to 2.0.x, if not 2.1.x
    I hope so too.

12.    #1472  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    I know you're trying to stay optimistic, man, but you can't be serious with this. In two simple sentences (one from Ruby and one from HP themselves) they shunned the entire community that made webOS continue to exist today - it would've been dead a year ago otherwise. I really don't think they'll give it a second thought in the future.

M.
    It's all a gamble...so I need to make sure the odds are with me. You're correct, I'll never know for sure.

I was soooo looking forward to your 2.0 version and I'm really disappointed now that HP seems to be letting us down. I just hope they realize what mistake they made...
  14.    #1474  
    Quote Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
    Hi Dan,

I bought GeoStrungs just now to support you, even I do not need it. As you can not release the current webos1.4.5 version of Remixer to the app catalog.

I hope you go on to give us that quality apps that you did until now. I love the passion you invest in the user interfaces, as they are the thing that the user will rate an app on.
    The functionality can be good but if the user interface is bad the user will not take it. I know what I'm speaking about, as I'm a developer in my work live too.

HaPe
    Thanks a lot.

15.    #1475  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
    I was soooo looking forward to your 2.0 version and I'm really disappointed now that HP seems to be letting us down. I just hope they realize what mistake they made...
    I think it's a matter of resources. I'm guessing they feel like they can't achieve what they need to with webOS 3.0 if they're stuck working on getting webOS 2.0 working properly on old devices. So I'm not sure if they'll change their mind.

Case and point, they announced at the developer meeting yesterday that Enyo would be available to developers in the early access forum "tonight" (meaning 2/9). Well they just posted in the Palm Dev forums (at 5am this morning) that it's still not ready. This is another example of them missing a promised deadline. Sometimes I just don't have confidence in their engineering team's ability to get things done in time. But they're hiring new people, so I hope some new blood and really get things going over there.

Dan, you said you fixed the issue, have you update the feed file? or is there some place else i can get the update?

-zeek
  17.    #1477  
    Quote Originally Posted by retroblu View Post
    Dan, you said you fixed the issue, have you update the feed file? or is there some place else i can get the update?

-zeek
    All of my enhancements and fixes that I've been working on, including your fix, has gone into the private beta, since this is the version I'll be able to submit the app catalog. With all the work that I've been doing to improve the private beta, I haven't had time to duplicate those efforts and implement the same enhancements and fixes into the public beta.

I released the first public beta of Music Player (Remix) prior to developers even having access to the 2.0 SDK. So it still had the old version of the media indexer. I released updates to the public beta at a steady rate while I waited for the SDK. Finally we received the 2.0 SDK and I created a 2nd branch of the code (private beta) that utilized the new media indexer.

At first I implemented new features and fixes into both branches of the code. For instance, Twitter and Facebook posting (and the accompanying Discovery feature) can be found in both versions. However at some point I realized I had to focus solely on the private beta and continue the app's development there. So I've put a lot of time to make the app rock solid while also adding new features such as autolists, album art downloading, karaoke mode, etc.

So at this point, you can think of the public beta as a "lite" version of the app that isn't quite fully baked. It's quite functional as is, but the app catalog version is the final product. My latest private beta build is fully app catalog ready. I'm ready to submit it as soon as Palm allows developers to assign "2.0" as the minimum OS version.

At the end of the day... there is now a ZERO user base for Palm phones... No carrier is selling the Pre2(ok verizon but same day as iPhone? c'mon) and there is no alpha sdk for 2.0 out yet... realistically there won't be a user base till Pre3 comes out in 5-6 months and thats after the iPhone5 !!

this setback is worth about a YEARS time. All Pre/Pixi people will NOT be able to run 2.0 apps, and all the time... the Pre/pixi people are leaving in droves now. And last night they said you need to "unlearn mojo" at the dev conference.... why would any Pre/Pixi user stick around when they know they will get NO MORE apps?

A year is a LONG time to wait for a user base... this SUCKS
  19.    #1479  
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    At the end of the day... there is now a ZERO user base for Palm phones... No carrier is selling the Pre2(ok verizon but same day as iPhone? c'mon) and there is no alpha sdk for 2.0 out yet... realistically there won't be a user base till Pre3 comes out in 5-6 months and thats after the iPhone5 !!

this setback is worth about a YEARS time. All Pre/Pixi people will NOT be able to run 2.0 apps, and all the time... the Pre/pixi people are leaving in droves now. And last night they said you need to "unlearn mojo" at the dev conference.... why would any Pre/Pixi user stick around when they know they will get NO MORE apps?

A year is a LONG time to wait for a user base... this SUCKS
    It's clear HP is starting over and rebooting webOS. I think their reasoning is that the current user base is an insignificant blip on the radar compared to other mobile platforms, so they're starting over with a new development framework (Enyo) and new devices. It is unfortunate for existing customers and developers, but I guess they're trying to focus on the long-term gains (future customers), vs. the short-term losses (us).

The "unlearn mojo" statement is just a fact. I haven't seen Enyo yet, but from what I have seen in these presentations, it seems like Enyo is a completely different way of creating apps than Mojo. So the statement is true...developers need to forget what they learned in Mojo and get used to the new way of doing things in Enyo.

Again I haven't seen Enyo yet, but I suspect it will be much easier to create new apps in Enyo than Mojo. Again, it's a reboot...starting over. New apps are going to take higher priority than existing ones. In their eyes, the 5000 existing apps are meaningless compared to the 100,000+ new apps they expect to create. In their eyes it's out with the old, in with the new.

I really hope Palm (HP, whatever) can find a way to do right by those of us that have been around for a while and especially by the devs like you that have been working so hard for the "underdog" platform when you could have been putting all that effort into developing for mobile OSs with user bases many times that of webOS.

This app is one of the biggest reasons I am upset with the news about not getting 2.x on my Sprint Pre. I was really looking forward to new apps that have access to the previously "locked down" APIs.

I do hope you choose to continue developing for webOS as I think the future does still look bright for the platform, even if that future doesn't happen to include a lot of us "oldtimers".
    Follow me on teh Twitterz