Page 7 of 88 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121757 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Why do you have to toggle it off? When you reach the end of your playlist, why not just browse for something else to listen to? I guess what I'm getting at is why is it so bad for it to start playing again while you're searching for your next item to listen to?
    Because I listen while riding my motorcycle, and I can't just reach into my pocket while doing 50 to switch channels.
  2.    #122  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    Because I listen while riding my motorcycle, and I can't just reach into my pocket while doing 50 to switch channels.
    That's a good reason! I'll add an option to the Preferences screen for the user to choose whether lists will start in repeat mode or not.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    thanks for the help!!!
    I can see how being color blind would make seeing the difference in icon states difficult/impossible. However I really wanted to have this type of visual style. For most people, I think it will be visually appealing.
    As a compromise, how about making the icon ((glow)) when it's active, sort of like the whole buton is a round LED? This would also make it more obvious which is the "on" and "off" state. Just a little halo around it like this would make it more distinct without having to change the actual icon:

icon.jpg

The shuffle and repeat toggles have absolutely nothing to do with the actively playing song. Toggling them will not change the actively playing song. They only affect the behavior of the current playlist, so having them on the playlist view seems to make sense.

Again the main reason I removed them is because I wanted to only include items on the album art view that people will need to access many times during their listening session. Once people choose a shuffle or repeat option, they don't usually toggle it that many times. So it didn't make sense to clutter the main listening screen (album art view) with these toggle options.
    I agree, and thank you for this. It's really annoying when I accidentally trigger shuffle on other players.
  5.    #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by zParticle View Post
    As a compromise, how about making the icon ((glow)) when it's active, sort of like the whole buton is a round LED? This would also make it more obvious which is the "on" and "off" state. Just a little halo around it like this would make it more distinct without having to change the actual icon:

icon.jpg
    That's not a bad idea. I'll play around with image a little and see if I can create a decent glow effect.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

when i was typing in the name of a song i wanted to listen to in the songs menu the words i was typing was covered by the word songs.also is there a way to get the reply button to show without having to switch to the song list mode
  7.    #127  
    Quote Originally Posted by fullmoon280 View Post
    when i was typing in the name of a song i wanted to listen to in the songs menu the words i was typing was covered by the word songs
    Yes that's a known issue. The filter searches are going to be removed from the song/artist/genre/album/playlist lists. Universal search (as implemented on the Home and Now Playing screens) will be replacing them.

Being someone who strictly listens to music, I didn't even know there was album art that was not square in shape. That's really interesting.

So yes, the screen was designed to have the area around the album art be a few pixels larger than the album art itself so some of the wallpaper will shine through. You'll notice this is a recurring theme throughout the various screens in the app.
    About that: I've noticed it also doesn't preserve the aspect ratio (and thus is no longer square) when any kind of notification comes up that compresses the screen vertically (like the volume control). In some cases this can look really funky. It only appears to compress the screen like this while in portrait mode.
  9.    #129  
    Quote Originally Posted by zParticle View Post
    About that: I've noticed it also doesn't preserve the aspect ratio (and thus is no longer square) when any kind of notification comes up that compresses the screen vertically (like the volume control). In some cases this can look really funky. It only appears to compress the screen like this while in portrait mode.
    This is by design. I have to handle notifications (or volume indicators) in some way. The only other way would have been to reposition the album art and next/previous buttons upward. This would cover up the buttons at the top and in my opinion wouldn't look as clean.

I really love the landscape mode, it's really finger friendly which is great when I'm driving and listening to music. I know you had mentioned fixing a lot of the Pixi issues, but I thought I'd throw in a screen shot just to show what really is the only problem.

Aside from it stretching a little too far off the screen, it's a great app. Thank you so much for putting it all together.
  11.    #131  
    Quote Originally Posted by SineOt View Post
    I really love the landscape mode, it's really finger friendly which is great when I'm driving and listening to music. I know you had mentioned fixing a lot of the Pixi issues, but I thought I'd throw in a screen shot just to show what really is the only problem.

Aside from it stretching a little too far off the screen, it's a great app. Thank you so much for putting it all together.
    Thanks for the report. I knew some of the Pixi screens wouldn't be quite right mainly because I haven't tried all the different scenarios.

I'll get them tested out (and fixed) soon though.

I'm glad you're liking the new landscape mode though. I definitely wanted it to have more finger friendly controls. I knew some people liked to mount their devices in landscape mode in their cars.

Thanks a lot! Like I said, most of the time I wouldn't mind toggling it manually, but there are those times when I just can't operate the controls and don't want something repeating over and over again.
  13.    #133  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    Thanks a lot! Like I said, most of the time I wouldn't mind toggling it manually, but there are those times when I just can't operate the controls and don't want something repeating over and over again.
    It's a pretty easy change...the only reason I was questioning it is because I don't want to clutter the Preferences screen with options that people won't ever use. But the scenario you mentioned is definitely valid.

will the final version have a replay button on the now playing screen?would be nice not to have to switch to the song list menu to activate replay.or is it already there and it just gets cut off on the pixi?
  15.    #135  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Clearly you don't code for a living. I don't say that to be mean, I'm simply making an observation. After being a Network Administrator for almost 15 years, I've had to make many sacrifices to include the corner cases. At teh end of the day, it's your app after all, so it's cool. Really. It is.
    Actually I've been a software engineer for 14 years and I work directly with customers on defining requirements for their applications. I'm well aware of having to cater to customer needs. If you followed my other threads on here you'd know that's the case. However given that this is my personal creation (vs. an application I'm developing for customers at work), there are going to be certain design decisions that I stick to my guns on. This is part of the reason why I enjoy making apps on the side. Sometimes it's fun to not be completely bound by customer requirements, especially when it comes to visual design.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    It seems you pulled the old version? I thought I had a back up, but it seems I don't. I'll have to see if I can pull the directory tree off my GF's Pre and see if I can force it to work.

Is this true, though? You've gone through and pulled all old versions? May I ask why you would do that? It's not like you need to offer support or anything. It's my/our choice if we want to continue to use the old one.
    Did you see zParticle's suggestion a few posts earlier? I think adding the glow around the shuffle and repeat buttons will help someone who is color-blind to distinguish between the different toggle modes. When I implement it, give it a try and tell me what you think.

In regards to pulling the old version, I have most definitely provided support for it for over a year now. Take a look at the old thread in the Hedami developer forum and you'll see how active it was. You'll also notice that I answered every single support question in that thread.

The reason I pulled it is because version 2.0 is now the latest and great. Since it fixes many of the issues people would report and since it's now available as a homebrew app, there's no reason for me to support the old legacy app.

Anyone that still has the old version on their phone is free to use it. But if someone gets a new phone, and they want to use Music Player (Remix), they should be downloading the new version which is more stable, has less bugs, and has a much better user experience.

will the final version have a replay button on the now playing screen?would be nice not to have to switch to the song list menu to activate replay.or is it already there and it just gets cut off on the pixi?
    Replay is on by default and only present on the list scene because it makes the most sense there and doesn't clutter up the now playing scene. Just scroll back a few posts to see both items discussed.
  17.    #137  
    Do you mean the repeat toggle button? If so, then no...the shuffle and repeat buttons have been moved to the List View screen. See the previous discussion from earlier today on the reasons I did this.

If you're talking about something else, let me know.

Did you see zParticle's suggestion a few posts earlier? I think adding the glow around the shuffle and repeat buttons will help someone who is color-blind to distinguish between the different toggle modes.
    No, I didn't. I'm not getting mail notifications for new posts for whatever reason and am missing a lot of the conversation.

In regards to pulling the old version, I have most definitely provided support for it for over a year now. Take a look at the old thread in the Hedami developer forum and you'll see how active it was. You'll also notice that I answered every single support question in that thread.
    No no no. I meant it as you don't HAVE to support it, not that you didn't. I guess I could've typed it better. Please, take it this way, not the way I (apparently) poorly miss-worded it.

The reason I pulled it is because version 2.0 is now the latest and great. Since it fixes many of the issues people would report and since it's now available as a homebrew app, there's no reason for me to support the old legacy app.
    Many software companies keep old versions around, they simply don't support it. You can still download all the old updates for Win9x, but they've made nothing new for the Win9x series in years. This really is no different.

I fail to see why you'd completely pull it, though. It works, there's nothing wrong with it. It's fast, it's simple, it doesn't do a whole lot for the folks that don't want a whole lot, and it's not "glitzy" for the folks who don't like glitzy. It's got a lot going for it still. The only thing I didn't like about it was un-toggling shuffle every single night for sequential genre play. Other than that in a (close to) year of using it, I never had one single problem.

Anyone that still has the old version on their phone is free to use it. But if someone gets a new phone, and they want to use Music Player (Remix), they should be downloading the new version which is more stable, has less bugs, and has a much better user experience.
    Relative to what? The old version? I listen to stuff when I go to sleep at night. Since I sleep every night, I use(d) your app every single night for almost a year and never once had a problem with it.

At any rate, I'll check back sometime and see what this glow looks like. Since zParticle and yourself are clearly not color blind, you'll have no idea what's needed, nor are you accepting input from a color blind person on what is which is why I "opened my mouth". I thought I was offering help and guidance from a view point you are incapable of experiencing.

It's not just color issues with color blindness, there's major contrast issues as well. It's quite possible the glow will go un-noticed unless it's made very gaudy and stark to your eyes for mine to perceive the difference. Why you can't simply make it change to parallel lines is beyond me.

At any rate, I do *honestly* wish you well in your project, Dan.

I'm sorry to have made this thread longer than it needs to be. I came back here to delete my posts when I noticed this reply (since I'm not getting mail notifications for this thread).

M.
    Looks totally awesome! Psyched for it to hit preware. Don't trust myself to do it the other way. :P
    wow what a great music player. I really like the way the user is able to chose the next song without having to go into the app
Page 7 of 88 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121757 ... LastLast