Page 6 of 88 FirstFirst 12345678910111656 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    That's true. Each mini-player module is a normal webOS dashboard notification. As far as I know, there's no way for my app to detect the user has re-ordered the notifications, so there's no way for me to dynamically adjust the wallpaper.
    Oh its a webOS thing, u know this is the first i learned that you can organize notifications.
  2.    #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by Smubeht View Post
    Oh its a webOS thing, u know this is the first i learned that you can organize notifications.
    Yeah one day I found out by accident too. It looks like the notification area is basically implemented as a simple list, similar to the kind you'd see in any app. So you can re-order the items, as well as swipe them off the screen to delete them.

Speaking of deleting... I'm not sure if everyone has checked the Preferences screen, but you can specify which mini-player modules will appear when you minimize the app. So for instance, if you don't care about the Playlist Preview Mode module, you can disable it and only the Music Controls and Scrubber Bar modules will show up.

And be sure to check out all of the other options on the Preference screen. I'm sure later beta builds will have more stuff on there.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
  3.    #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    I'm color blind.

I saw no change in the icon... The icon needs to change picture, not color, for everyone to use it.
    I can see how being color blind would make seeing the difference in icon states difficult/impossible. However I really wanted to have this type of visual style. For most people, I think it will be visually appealing. The interactive help system button will function in the same way (for those interested, you can tap on the "?" icon on the Now Playing screen to see a demonstration).

You should know whether the list is shuffled even without the indicator because the list will only start off as shuffled if you choose one of the shuffle options (either "Shuffle All" on the home screen or one of the shuffle icons on the various music list screens).

Those contradict themselves, though. When a User is on a screen for actively playing songs, the modes of HOW those songs are to be actively played should be there, and not on a screen that doesn't have anything to do with *actively* playing songs.
    The shuffle and repeat toggles have absolutely nothing to do with the actively playing song. Toggling them will not change the actively playing song. They only affect the behavior of the current playlist, so having them on the playlist view seems to make sense.

Again the main reason I removed them is because I wanted to only include items on the album art view that people will need to access many times during their listening session. Once people choose a shuffle or repeat option, they don't usually toggle it that many times. So it didn't make sense to clutter the main listening screen (album art view) with these toggle options.

P.S.

THANK YOU for making it an option to turn off the status bar / notification area / mini-player thing! That was very annoying. THANK YOU!
    I knew some people may not want to use the mini-player, or may only want to use certain modules, so yeah allowing the user to decide which modules to display was important.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

4.    #104  
    Hey!

I don't know if it's intentional or not, but, "2.0" doesn't display non-square song pictures without an obvious "place holder" (for the lack of a better term that I can't think of at the moment).

Example:

There's the empty square around the pic. I don't know if this is "By Design" or not so I thought I'd point it out.

M.
    Being someone who strictly listens to music, I didn't even know there was album art that was not square in shape. That's really interesting.

So yes, the screen was designed to have the area around the album art be a few pixels larger than the album art itself so some of the wallpaper will shine through. You'll notice this is a recurring theme throughout the various screens in the app.

But yeah in the case of non-square album art, you'll have more wallpaper shining through. I think your example looks pretty good actually.

Just one thing, I hope that you can set the repeat function to off by default, especially for things like podcasts, because once I hear it I don't need to hear it again.
  6.    #106  
    Pfffft. Sorry, Dan, it shows a good amount of promise, but you've lost a user.

I'll keep the IPK of the old one around until it stops working. I've grown used to untoggling shuffle *every night* when I put a new daily file on.

Thank you for your time, and you are obviously quite talented, despite this disagreement.

M.
    While I'm open to all suggestions in this thread... there will be some suggestions that I don't feel are the right way to go. I do sympathize with your situation; however I'm not sure I want to change the visual style of my app to account for a very small percentage of my users. I'm sure this is not the first situation you've encountered in an application where a color change was difficult to see.

In regards to your specific concern, even without being able to see the shuffle transition, I'm not sure why you can't just tap the button. When you do this, you'll see the list itself change in front of you. So this should be a sufficient indicator. But ultimately it'll be up to you whether this is a deal breaker or not. I respect your decision either way. If you do decide to keep tinkering with the app, please keep the suggestions coming.

7.    #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    Just one thing, I hope that you can set the repeat function to off by default, especially for things like podcasts, because once I hear it I don't need to hear it again.
    I actually made a conscious decision to turn repeat on by default. And here's why... I see two different scenarios:

1) The user loads a list and would prefer to have it repeat
    2) The user loads a list with the intention of listening to it only once

For scenario #1, the default repeat option works fine.

For scenario #2, when the user finishes the playlist, all they have to do is go find something else to listen to. And they would have done this anyway since they only wanted to listen to the playlist once.

If I turn repeat off by default, scenario #2 works fine; however scenario #1 requires the user to take an additional action (going to list view and toggling repeat on).

So that's why I chose to have repeat on by default. It saves some of the users a possible extra step while not costing other users any additional ones.

im having some problems with the wallpaper.when i try use of my own wallpapers it will display it fine.but when i clicked on songs it started to mess up.it would then display it but right under it would the same wallpaper.kinda like putting 2 of the same pictures right next to each other.but setting that picutre as my devices wallpaper then using the use devices wallpaper option seems to be fine.

also about flylists i tried to save a artist while it did work when i went to the flylist i was instantly brought to the first song.there was no list to choose which song i wanted.i had to click that 1 tab that changes the way the songs plays to that lists of songs with he moving bar
    Last edited by fullmoon280; 09/03/2010 at 06:59 PM.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    possible bug: somehow I had remix 1.99 play a podcast at the same time I was listening to a podcast with dr podder HB 7.0
  10.    #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by tyea View Post
    possible bug: somehow I had remix 1.99 play a podcast at the same time I was listening to a podcast with dr podder HB 7.0
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. Can you elaborate?

11.    #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by fullmoon280 View Post
    im having some problems with the wallpaper.when i try use of my own wallpapers it will display it fine.but when i clicked on songs it started to mess up.it would then display it but right under it would the same wallpaper.kinda like putting 2 of the same pictures right next to each other.but setting that picutre as my devices wallpaper then using the use devices wallpaper option seems to be fine.
    Can you post a screenshot of what you're describing? You can take a screenshot on your device by holding the Orange, Sym and P buttons simultaneously.

also about flylists i tried to save a artist while it did work when i went to the flylist i was instantly brought to the first song.there was no list to choose which song i wanted.i had to click that 1 tab that changes the way the songs plays to that lists of songs with he moving bar
    When you save a group to a flylist (meaning an artist, album, genre, or playlist), it will add that single item to the flylist. It won't list all the separate songs in the group within the flylist list.

So yes you're correct, if you want to change the order of the individual songs, you can do so once you load the playlist (by switching from "album art" view to "list" view).

The reason it works this way is because the groups that are saved in flylists are dynamic. For instance, let's say I have an artist with 10 songs on my device. When I save that artist to a flylist, it won't save the 10 individual songs to the flylist. It saves the artist reference. That way whenever you update songs on your device for that artist, they'll be automatically updated in the flylist.

When designing the new version of flylists I considered implementing them the other way (saving individual songs from a group in the flylist); however I decided in the end that having dynamic groups was a better route to take because it allows you to set up a flylist once without having to update it everytime you add or delete songs from the group in the flylist.

what are the extra lines that you had to delete when you get
    "invalid or missing file parameter"
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I actually made a conscious decision to turn repeat on by default. And here's why... I see two different scenarios:

1) The user loads a list and would prefer to have it repeat
    2) The user loads a list with the intention of listening to it only once

For scenario #1, the default repeat option works fine.

For scenario #2, when the user finishes the playlist, all they have to do is go find something else to listen to. And they would have done this anyway since they only wanted to listen to the playlist once.

If I turn repeat off by default, scenario #2 works fine; however scenario #1 requires the user to take an additional action (going to list view and toggling repeat on).

So that's why I chose to have repeat on by default. It saves some of the users a possible extra step while not costing other users any additional ones.
    Couldn't you have it off by default, then have a cookie for each list that has preferences for it, one being if repeat is toggled on? That way they only have to listen to it once.

I'm on the opposite side of the fence from you, I listen almost exclusively to podcasts rather than music, so having a short podcast (like 60 second science) play over and over again when I only wanted it once, in a situation where I can't turn it off right away can get real annoying real quick.

Though I understand you idea that if it's really annoying, I could just remember to toggle it off, though that takes an extra step.
  15.    #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalez2066 View Post
    what are the extra lines that you had to delete when you get
    "invalid or missing file parameter"
    I assume you're trying to install the app. Earlier today I updated the IPK link in the first post to remove the extra characters after the ".ipk". Try installing it again and see what happens.

16.    #116  
    Ah...you have a Pixi! What is the resolution of the image you're using as your wallpaper?

17.    #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    Though I understand you idea that if it's really annoying, I could just remember to toggle it off, though that takes an extra step.
    Why do you have to toggle it off? When you reach the end of your playlist, why not just browse for something else to listen to? I guess what I'm getting at is why is it so bad for it to start playing again while you're searching for your next item to listen to?

320x240
    I saw the post earlier but still get it to work. I just did, I just erased all the characters after ipk, including the "?" thanks!
  20.    #120  
    320x240
    That would explain it! Yeah you should definitely be using 320x480 images...or on Pixis you can also use 320x400.

In the old version of the app, it probably stretched the image. However the problem that people were having is that it resulted in 320x480 images appearing stretched and distorted on the song, album, and artist list screens. I'd rather images with the same resolution as the device display properly than having smaller images display better.

And with the popularlity of the iPhone (which before version 4 ran at the same resolution as the Pre), you should be able to find tons of sites with 320x480 wallpapers. My favorite one is mobile.pre-wallpapers - the best wallpapers for your Palm Pre. - Wallpapers. The web site is formatted perfectly for mobile devices.