Page 29 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1924252627282930313233343979 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Dan I was curious as why the extra icons were added (shown circled in attacment). Just my opinion but I loved the way the previous version showed the three separate ribbons in a very clean view. Now with the extra 3 icons, it looks cramped (or too busy) and takes away from the clean view.

mprbeta_2010-14-09_105058.png

I also noticed that when the main card is in the background with the 3 music ribbons in max view, the music scrubbers don't match in their progressions (shown in attachment). The main card scrubber shows the song still in the begining while the ribbon scrubber is near the middle of the song.

mprbeta_2010-14-09_110358.png

[my apologies if the above comments have already been reported]

Thanks for all your work on this app. My friends and I are really digging this app. It is def leaps and bounds over the stock player and a huge improvement over your 1st gen Remix app. Def have to buy the official version of it when it's ready!
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  2.    #562  
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Dan I was curious as why the extra icons were added (shown circled in attacment). Just my opinion but I loved the way the previous version showed the three separate ribbons in a very clean view. Now with the extra 3 icons, it looks cramped (or too busy) and takes away from the clean view.
    If I've learned anything during my time developing webOS apps it's that you can't please everyone.

The reason why there are 3 extra icons is because I received a ton of requests in this thread for a way to go back to the main card directly from the mini-player. Tapping on one of those icons will do that.

Me personally, I didn't have any issue with going back to the main card by swiping through my open cards, but several people in this thread wanted this feature.

So what does everyone think? Is the extra clutter worth the new function?

How about if I only had the icon on the scrubber bar module? Personally, I agree with Achill3s that aesthetically, it looked better before the icons were added.

I also noticed that when the main card is in the background with the 3 music ribbons in max view, the music scrubbers don't match in their progressions (shown in attachment). The main card scrubber shows the song still in the begining while the ribbon scrubber is near the middle of the song.
    The scrubber bar on the main card has always stopped updating when you're minimized. This is something I incorporated into the original homebrew app literally in its 2nd release. The reason is that people were having issues with device slowdown while using other apps. So while it's cool to have a minimized card update its information, the performance hit wasn't worth the coolness factor.

Thanks for all your work on this app. My friends and I are really digging this app. It is def leaps and bounds over the stock player and a huge improvement over your 1st gen Remix app. Def have to buy the official version of it when it's ready!
    I'm glad you're liking it.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
  3. wxl
    So happy to finally be running 1.4.5 (stupid VZW). Sadly, I'm not happy to find that Music Player Remix just wants to run incessantly rebuilding the music index. What gives?

Also a request: when last.fm scrobbling is on, add <3 and to the mini-player.
  4.    #564  
    Quote Originally Posted by wxl View Post
    So happy to finally be running 1.4.5 (stupid VZW). Sadly, I'm not happy to find that Music Player Remix just wants to run incessantly rebuilding the music index. What gives?
    Can you open up the built-in music app and see if it's doing the same thing and report back here? I'm betting it is.

After checking this, reboot your device to fix it.

Also a request: when last.fm scrobbling is on, add <3 and :thumbsdown: to the mini-player.
    I'm going to be investigating adding a "love it" Last.FM option. I'm not sure if it'll be added to the mini-player though (see my previous post in this thread that discusses reducing mini-player clutter).
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Oh I see. I agree with you in that I didn't have a problem just tapping on the main card to bring up the main view. Perhaps one icon would minimize the clutter and the scrubber bar would be perfect or if possible could you map that function to a something else?

ex: "gesture + P"

Thanks again!
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  6.    #566  
    Oh I see. I agree with you in that I didn't have a problem just tapping on the main card to bring up the main view. Perhaps one icon would minimize the clutter and the scrubber bar would be perfect or if possible could you map that function to a something else?

ex: "gesture + P"

Thanks again!
    As far as I can tell, dashboards can't accept keyboard inputs. This is because they are non-modal. Whichever card is in focus while a dashboard is up, that will be the one to receive the keyboard inputs. And if no card is in focus, the Launcher app receives the inputs.

Originally I added the "go back to main card" button to all 3 mini-player modules so that people who chose to only configure certain modules would still have access to this function, but I agree with you that I'd prefer the icons to not be there. So now I'm leaning towards removing them from the Music Controls and Playlist Preview modules and just putting it on the Scrubber Bar module.

7. wxl
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Can you open up the built-in music app and see if it's doing the same thing and report back here? I'm betting it is.
    After checking this, reboot your device to fix it.
    Yes, it was going on in the build-in app. Reboot fixed it. Thanks.

I'm going to be investigating adding a "love it" Last.FM option. I'm not sure if it'll be added to the mini-player though (see my previous post in this thread that discusses reducing mini-player clutter).
    Yeah, that business about getting back quickly: who cares? It's SOMEWHAT convienent but I'd rather be able to do stuff with last.fm. Another possibility: personally, I don't use the playlist preview bar. Maybe you could have a last.fm bar. Or maybe have a whole bunch of bars but you can only pick 3
  8.    #568  
    Yeah, that business about getting back quickly: who cares? It's SOMEWHAT convienent but I'd rather be able to do stuff with last.fm. Another possibility: personally, I don't use the playlist preview bar. Maybe you could have a last.fm bar. Or maybe have a whole bunch of bars but you can only pick 3
    I don't want to add Last.FM stuff to the existing modules since they're already using up all their available space. But I do plan on adding more configurable mini-player modules in the future. I'll have to see if it makes sense to have a Last.FM love function on a future one.

If I've learned anything during my time developing webOS apps it's that you can't please everyone.
    Isn't that true. If in doubt stick with your guns! An overall vision for your app is a lot different than an amalgamation of ad-hoc requests. Your responsiveness is greatly appreciated, but keep in mind we're just a vocal minority here.

The reason why there are 3 extra icons is because I received a ton of requests in this thread for a way to go back to the main card directly from the mini-player. Tapping on one of those icons will do that.

Me personally, I didn't have any issue with going back to the main card by swiping through my open cards, but several people in this thread wanted this feature.

So what does everyone think? Is the extra clutter worth the new function?

How about if I only had the icon on the scrubber bar module? Personally, I agree with Achill3s that aesthetically, it looked better before the icons were added.
    My opinion should be taken with a grain of salt here, because I usually just swipe to the player rather than using the mini-player. In fact, I recently turned all three modules off so it doesn't use up the tiny bit of dashboard space at the bottom.

However, I've gotta say I'm with Achill3s here on preferring the original aesthetics over the added functionality of a "home" button—there's so little real estate to spare there. Using just the scrubber bar module would probably be a good compromise, since that's the least crowded of the three.
  10.    #570  
    Quote Originally Posted by zParticle View Post
    Isn't that true. If in doubt stick with your guns! An overall vision for your app is a lot different than an amalgamation of ad-hoc requests. Your responsiveness is greatly appreciated, but keep in mind we're just a vocal minority here.
    PreCentral users may be a vocal minority, but they're also a good sampling of all webOS users out there.

Quote Originally Posted by zParticle View Post
    However, I've gotta say I'm with Achill3s here on preferring the original aesthetics over the added functionality of a "home" button—there's so little real estate to spare there. Using just the scrubber bar module would probably be a good compromise, since that's the least crowded of the three.
    I think that's the way I'm going to go. I think the current design works, but it would be nice to have the extra horizontal real estate for the song/artist info on the other 2 modules.

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Actually scratch that... I just did some testing and it seems like the delete function sometimes fails regardless of whether the file is present on the device. So there's a bug here. I'll investigate it and get it fixed in the next beta release.
    For the record, using the "Delete All Bookmarks" option in the menu did permanently delete them.
  12.    #572  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fidco View Post
    For the record, using the "Delete All Bookmarks" option in the menu did permanently delete them.
    Thanks for the update.

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    My apologies if this has been mentioned in the past 29 pages... I looked, I really did. :-)

I notice that back-swiping (in the gesture area) from Now Playing view takes me back to the main menu rather than the last page I was viewing. For example, if I want to listen to a Yes album, I bring up Artists, scroll down to Y, select Yes, click the album I want, and then click the first track. So now I decide I wanted to listen to a different Yes album... if I back-swipe from Now Playing, I would expect to be back in the track listing for the selected album, and continue back-swiping to get back to the album list. But instead I'm back at the main menu, where I have to go back into Artists, etc. It only appears to happen from Now Playing; all other views behave as I'd expect. Is this by design? And if so, is there a way for me to get back to the previous view?

ron
  14.    #574  
    Quote Originally Posted by ron2112 View Post
    My apologies if this has been mentioned in the past 29 pages... I looked, I really did. :-)

I notice that back-swiping (in the gesture area) from Now Playing view takes me back to the main menu rather than the last page I was viewing. For example, if I want to listen to a Yes album, I bring up Artists, scroll down to Y, select Yes, click the album I want, and then click the first track. So now I decide I wanted to listen to a different Yes album... if I back-swipe from Now Playing, I would expect to be back in the track listing for the selected album, and continue back-swiping to get back to the album list. But instead I'm back at the main menu, where I have to go back into Artists, etc. It only appears to happen from Now Playing; all other views behave as I'd expect. Is this by design? And if so, is there a way for me to get back to the previous view?

ron
    Yes this behavior is by design. The reason for this is not something I can easily explain. But there is a reason for it.

But you can get back to the album of the currently playing song by tapping and holding the song/artist/album info on the Now Playing screen. If you do a quick tap of the song/artist/album info, it'll load the currently playing song's artist. The quick-tap/tap-and-hold behavior may be swapped in the next release. I haven't decided yet.

Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Dan, I found a a bug...maybe...Yesterday I plugged my phone into my PC and used QI to uninstall a theme and then install another (my theme does change the MPR icon if that's important. Also I did not have any media player open (I use MediaMonkey) on my PC so no syncing took place.

Anyway, when I was done I unplugged my phone from the USB cable and opened MPR. MPR opened fine, but my playlists were gone. However, the playlist I saved in the Faves sections was still there and worked fine as did the functionality of the app. A quick reboot of the phone and my playlists reappeared and the app continues to work fine since.
  16.    #576  
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    Dan, I found a a bug...maybe...Yesterday I plugged my phone into my PC and used QI to uninstall a theme and then install another (my theme does change the MPR icon if that's important. Also I did not have any media player open (I use MediaMonkey) on my PC so no syncing took place.

Anyway, when I was done I unplugged my phone from the USB cable and opened MPR. MPR opened fine, but my playlists were gone. However, the playlist I saved in the Faves sections was still there and worked fine as did the functionality of the app. A quick reboot of the phone and my playlists reappeared and the app continues to work fine since.
    If you're referring to "playlists" and not "flylists", the list of available playlists are provided by the webOS media indexer. So whatever you did while the phone was connected to the computer affected this in some way. The playlist would still show up on the Faves list since that's stored in a local database within the app.

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Yes this behavior is by design. The reason for this is not something I can easily explain. But there is a reason for it.
    I will take your word for it, sir!

But you can get back to the album of the currently playing song by tapping and holding the song/artist/album info on the Now Playing screen. If you do a quick tap of the song/artist/album info, it'll load the currently playing song's artist. The quick-tap/tap-and-hold behavior may be swapped in the next release. I haven't decided yet.
    Hmmm... I'm coming down on the side of swapping it. The reason for this is not something I can easily explain.

No, but seriously... I think the quick tap to get back to the album is more intuitive as you're only going [back/down/in] one level, whereas burrowing all the way to the artist's full album list seems more like a tap/hold function. See, I told you I couldn't easily explain!

ron
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Oh, I forgot to mention: I absolutely love the orientation lock. My Pre spends most of the day on the Touchstone, even when I'm listening to music, and for whatever reason the Pre thinks it's in landscape orientation more often than not. Now I don't have to pick it up and shake it every time I launch Remix. Awesome!

ron
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    If you're referring to "playlists" and not "flylists", the list of available playlists are provided by the webOS media indexer. So whatever you did while the phone was connected to the computer affected this in some way. The playlist would still show up on the Faves list since that's stored in a local database within the app.
    It is Playlists I am referring to. Yeah I figured it was more of a problem with the media index since rebooting immediately fixed it - thanks for the confirmation.
  20.    #580  
    I will take your word for it, sir!
    I don't mean to be super mysterious, but it has to do with the way scenes are managed on the stack and other boring memory management stuff. In short, version 2.0 is more memory efficient and less buggy as a result of the changes made.

Hmmm... I'm coming down on the side of swapping it. The reason for this is not something I can easily explain.

No, but seriously... I think the quick tap to get back to the album is more intuitive as you're only going [back/down/in] one level, whereas burrowing all the way to the artist's full album list seems more like a tap/hold function. See, I told you I couldn't easily explain!

ron
    I'm leaning towards that viewpoint as well.