Page 28 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1823242526272829303132333878 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Can't seem to find this, but why does Preware want me to update my current version (1.99.5) with a lower numbered version (1.99.13)?
    Because version numbers have gotten stupid. In this case 13>5.

Version numbers used to be in the intuitive format 1.23 (1=major . 2=minor 3=bugfix ) with digits added as needed (in the rare case there were really that many releases). Everyone knows how decimals work so there was no ambiguity.

Sorry, pet peeve.
  3.    #543  
    Quote Originally Posted by cgibin View Post
    Anything that is skinnable, really. Menu screens, tap events, scrubber bars, mini players...everything

I would gladly work on some free themes for this player!
    Right now I have other things I have to focus on, but I think making the app's visual style more customizable is something I'll definitely pursue in the future.
    Last edited by DanPLC; 09/14/2010 at 06:37 AM.
  4.    #544  
    Quote Originally Posted by zParticle View Post
    Winamp does exactly what veerar describes. It has the small advantage of keeping more info onscreen at all times—no "whitespace" required to scroll it off the screen. That said, I've never really liked that it scrolled backwards, since that's not the expected behavior for a "marquee" display.
    I thought winamp did it the other way, but it's been awhile since I've used it so I'm probably wrong. But I know I have seen my scrolling behavior in at least a few different music players. But regardless, I'd rather have it scrolling off the screen.
  5.    #545  
    Because version numbers have gotten stupid. In this case 13>5.

Version numbers used to be in the intuitive format 1.23 (1=major . 2=minor 3=bugfix ) with digits added as needed (in the rare case there were really that many releases). Everyone knows how decimals work so there was no ambiguity.

Sorry, pet peeve.
    I actually prefer the current major.minor.bugfix method. Having them all separated seems more logical to me. At work we primarily use this method, with a few exceptions.

In the case of this beta, I'm keeping the major.minor at 1.99 and simply updating the "bugfix" number since the final version is going to be 2.0.0. I'll manage the version numbers a bit differently in the final app catalog version.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I actually prefer the current major.minor.bugfix method. Having them all separated seems more logical to me. At work we primarily use this method, with a few exceptions.

In the case of this beta, I'm keeping the major.minor at 1.99 and simply updating the "bugfix" number since the final version is going to be 2.0.0. I'll manage the version numbers a bit differently in the final app catalog version.
    Understood. And I know this is pretty common practice now, I've just always had a problem with the inconsistency this creates when people expect numbers after a decimal to be a specific power of 10. This method changes it to a simple delimeter. When you deal with both implementations on a regular basis, it's easy to get tripped up by this, as above. (It also fails a basic alphanumeric sort.)

Nothing against you or Remix at all. Just a personal hangup of mine.
  7.    #547  
    Understood. And I know this is pretty common practice now, I've just always had a problem with the inconsistency this creates when people expect numbers after a decimal to be a specific power of 10. This method changes it to a simple delimeter. When you deal with both implementations on a regular basis, it's easy to get tripped up by this, as above. (It also fails a basic alphanumeric sort.)

Nothing against you or Remix at all. Just a personal hangup of mine.
    To add further confusion, for the next major release of the app, I think I'll jump from 2.0 to 6.0 like Microsoft did with Word back in the day (to match Word Perfect's version number). Then I'll just switch to Remix 2012...then Remix XP...then back to Remix 7 (ala Windows 7).
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I've got some leftover bookmarks that won't delete. I can swipe them off and hit delete and they appear to be gone, but when I go back in the bookmarks list, there they are again.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that the media has already been deleted from the device using Internalz. Though the files themselves no longer show up in the app as described earlier in the thread.

Besides that, this player is fantastic! Thanks for your hard work!
  9.    #549  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fidco View Post
    I've got some leftover bookmarks that won't delete. I can swipe them off and hit delete and they appear to be gone, but when I go back in the bookmarks list, there they are again.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that the media has already been deleted from the device using Internalz. Though the files themselves no longer show up in the app as described earlier in the thread.

Besides that, this player is fantastic! Thanks for your hard work!
    Did you try deleting the bookmark before or after you deleted the file from your device?

What happens if you tap one of these leftover bookmarks?

Have you tried using the "Delete All Bookmarks" option in the app's menu? Does this succeed in deleting all your bookmarks?

10.    #550  
    Did you try deleting the bookmark before or after you deleted the file from your device?

What happens if you tap one of these leftover bookmarks?

Have you tried using the "Delete All Bookmarks" option in the app's menu? Does this succeed in deleting all your bookmarks?
    Actually scratch that... I just did some testing and it seems like the delete function sometimes fails regardless of whether the file is present on the device. So there's a bug here. I'll investigate it and get it fixed in the next beta release.

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Just installed 2.0, and so far I like it a lot. Months ago we discussed gapless playback in the other thread, and you asked me to let you know if the gap was any better once I got to try 2.0. I'd say it's better, but negligibly so... like a second-and-a-half rather than two seconds. I'm guessing there's probably nothing you can do about it. In order to get gapless, you'd have to be able to pre-load the first few seconds of the next track and start playing it a fraction of a second before the current track ends, or at least instantaneously after. If the Pre doesn't support that, then one can hardly blame Remix. I appreciate you giving it a shot, though.

So far I like everything about 2.0. At first I missed seeing the album art in the artist and album lists, but once I realized how much better those lists performed without it, I'm now very positive on the change.

I've only just started using it, so I'm sure I'll have plenty of feedback in the coming days.

ron
    not sure if it's been asked but is there a way to disable the repeat when listening ot an album? mine always seems to be on repeat album. not a fan of that.

edit: i'm a moron. missed this in the last update!
    Last edited by mjpuczko; 09/14/2010 at 10:09 AM.
  13.    #553  
    Quote Originally Posted by ron2112 View Post
    Just installed 2.0, and so far I like it a lot. Months ago we discussed gapless playback in the other thread, and you asked me to let you know if the gap was any better once I got to try 2.0. I'd say it's better, but negligibly so... like a second-and-a-half rather than two seconds.
    I didn't do anything actively to attempt to achieve gapless playback; however the speed to transition songs has been reduced pretty drastically due to the re-design of the Now Playing screen. So while there is still a built-in gap between songs, the amount of time needed to switch songs has been reduced.

14.    #554  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjpuczko View Post
    not sure if it's been asked but is there a way to disable the repeat when listening ot an album? mine always seems to be on repeat album. not a fan of that.

edit: i'm a moron. missed this in the last update!
    This brings up a good point... Users of the beta app should be checking this thread (or Preware) and make sure to pick up the latest version. Not only will you get bug fixes, you'll also get new features (like customizing the default repeat mode behavior).

And for those who don't know, the changelog is posted in the first message of this thread. In the release version, the changelog will be viewable directly in the app (on the Help screen) as well as being displayed immediately after an upgrade.

- Bug Fix: When loading an album in a flylist, in the Faves list, or adding an album to the current playlist via the “add to list” popup, the songs aren’t being played in the original track listing order.
    Very grateful for this fix. However, I will note that when loading an Artist from the Faves list (and presumably those other methods as well), the tracks load in alphabetical order by title, rather than by album. Is this by design or accident?

For reference, I have three albums by Dr. Steel on my Pre (Dr. Steel; Dr. Steel II: Eclectic Boogaloo; People of Earth). The album titles arrange alphabetically in the same order they were chronologically released (happy accident!), so from the Artist menu, if I go into Dr. Steel and choose Play, it will play all three albums in order. But if I Fave Dr. Steel (artist) and press play, it plays the tracks in alphabetical order, all three albums mixed up together.
    Thank you DanPLC for such a great music player! Less lag, more control, love it
    What I love most is that when playing, I can tap on the song info and get all the other albums of the same artist. This makes navigation a breeze.

Some suggestions, though:
    1. Would it be possible to make an option to make the background wallpaper not apply to the miniplayer? I feel that panels with plain black backgrounds in the dashboard fits better with the overall look of webOS.
    2. I use a Sony Walkman as my standalone player. One thing I like about it is that when I choose songs by Genres, it gives me a list of Artists of that Genre (instead of a whole list of songs). Similarly, when I choose by Artists, I get a list of Albums. Wonder if it's possible to have this layer-by-layer listing approach available. Naturally, it'd be best to keep a "list all songs" item on top of each list.
  17.    #557  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chakat Silverstreak View Post
    Very grateful for this fix. However, I will note that when loading an Artist from the Faves list (and presumably those other methods as well), the tracks load in alphabetical order by title, rather than by album. Is this by design or accident?
    It was by design; however I'm still not sure what the order should be.

You're correct that if you select the play icon on the Artists screen it does play them in album order. But when you add an artist to a list (flylist, faves, or the currently playing list), it'll add the artist's songs in alphabetical order.

The reason I chose the current behavior of the play icon (sorted in album order) is because on the Artist screen, it displays the list of albums so it seemed like the best order to choose since that's what the user is looking at when they tap the play icon. But in all other cases, I decided to add the artist's songs in pure alphabetical order. But I'm still not sure if most people would prefer this.

The reason I chose the current behavior of the play icon (sorted in album order) is because on the Artist screen, it displays the list of albums so it seemed like the best order to choose since that's what the user is looking at when they tap the play icon. But in all other cases, I decided to add the artist's songs in pure alphabetical order. But I'm still not sure if most people would prefer this.
    Well, if you're looking for feedback, my personal preference whenever I'm adding an artist's entire catalog is to have it play each album in order. Maybe we can get some other people to chime in with their preferences, get a feel for it.

Or maybe add a Preference: Add Artist To List (By Album) or (By Song)
  19.    #559  
    Quote Originally Posted by intellidryad View Post
    1. Would it be possible to make an option to make the background wallpaper not apply to the miniplayer? I feel that panels with plain black backgrounds in the dashboard fits better with the overall look of webOS.
    I'm contemplating adding an option for users to define a separate wallpaper for the mini-player. That way people could use a plain black background if they wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by intellidryad View Post
    2. I use a Sony Walkman as my standalone player. One thing I like about it is that when I choose songs by Genres, it gives me a list of Artists of that Genre (instead of a whole list of songs). Similarly, when I choose by Artists, I get a list of Albums. Wonder if it's possible to have this layer-by-layer listing approach available. Naturally, it'd be best to keep a "list all songs" item on top of each list.
    I don't think there's a way to obtain a list of artists in a given genre using the webOS media indexer.

20.    #560  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chakat Silverstreak View Post
    Well, if you're looking for feedback, my personal preference whenever I'm adding an artist's entire catalog is to have it play each album in order. Maybe we can get some other people to chime in with their preferences, get a feel for it.

Or maybe add a Preference: Add Artist To List (By Album) or (By Song)
    Yeah I'd definitely like to hear other people's thoughts.