Page 23 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1318192021222324252627283373 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    I apologize I posted in the wrong thread.
    Last edited by RainMan_JH; 09/11/2010 at 08:24 PM.
  2.    #442  
    Quote Originally Posted by RainMan_JH View Post
    I may have discovered a bug. I checked here and the Wiki, but did not see it mentioned yet. I have a couple GPS triggers set up one for home and another for work. Both of these modes when switched to turn on WiFi and connect to a specific SSID as well as a few other setting changes. My default mode has WiFi disabled. The issue I am seeing is for example when I drive away from work and leave the GPS area I have set the mode does change back to my default as expected; however the WiFi does not disable as it is supposed to. I have triple checked my settings to make sure I have it set correctly and I believe I do. Also it does this for both of my GPS triggers I mentioned above.

Just wanted to bring this up in case you were unaware of it. Thanks for this app it is absolutely awesome!
    I think you're in the wrong thread. It sounds like you're looking for Mode Switcher help.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Yeah it won't pull it up because the entry on the site is for "A Boy Named Sue", not "A Boy Named Sue [Live]". The app already takes into account titles with "()" suffixes. I'll update it to also check for "[]" which should allow you to pull lyrics for this type of song.
    Excellent Thanks!!!
    Suggestion:

Make Faves on the homescreen minimizable. Decrease clutter.

Alarm clock icon is prominently black with some green in it, while the others are mostly grey. Switch colors around on clock.

Increase font size of alpha menu on R column. It feels like I'm trying to find some very small buttons. Not a good user experience.
  5.    #445  
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    Suggestion:

Make Faves on the homescreen minimizable. Decrease clutter.

Alarm clock icon is prominently black with some green in it, while the others are mostly grey. Switch colors around on clock.

Increase font size of alpha menu on R column. It feels like I'm trying to find some very small buttons. Not a good user experience.
    The whole point of the faves list is to have it accessible at all times on the home screen. I added faves so the wasted space on the home screen could be used. So no, faves are here to stay.

I used to have a lighter grey color for the alarm clock.
    , but I find the current color scheme a bit sharper and the grey border matches nicely with the other silver/grey icons.

I think the alphabet selector font is just the right size. I don't think it would look right any larger.

I appreciate your suggestions; however I designed the app with a particular look in mind and while I accept all feedback, there are going to be some design decisions that I'll stick firm to, especially if I specifically designed something a certain way.
    I understand, but I'm saying to make it minimizable, so the user has a choice, not to toss it completely. Thanks for listening to the suggestions.
  7.    #447  
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    I understand, but I'm saying to make it minimizable, so the user has a choice, not to toss it completely. Thanks for listening to the suggestions.
    I know you were just talking about minimizing vs. completely removing it; however I really want people to start exploring ways to use the faves list and if I provide a minimize option, they may not even try it out.

Faves on the Home screen are really a huge departure from the norm, and it may take time for some people who are accustomed to "normal", plain home screens to adjust, but I think eventually they'll realize how incredibly handy it is to have your favorite items on the home screen that are accessible with a single tap.
    Would it be possible in a future release to have the option of -not- displaying the app background in the mini player, and just have something more like the stock webOS notifications?
  9.    #449  
    Quote Originally Posted by SineOt View Post
    Would it be possible in a future release to have the option of -not- displaying the app background in the mini player, and just have something more like the stock webOS notifications?
    I could probably have an option to customize the mini-player's wallpaper separately from the main app's wallpaper. That way you could choose something a little more flamboyant for the main app, and something a little more plain and simple for the mini-player.

I'll put that on the list; however I'm not sure when that will be implemented. Aesthetic customizations are going to take a back seat to more important functional changes and bug fixes.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Quote Originally Posted by ThatMatthew View Post
    If you tap a letter that doesn't have a match, just go to the next letter rather than showing an error message. So if I tap Q and I don't have any matching artists, scroll to R.
    I have considered this behavior in the past...I'll think about it some more.
    I agree with the suggested behavior. Keeping the error messages to a minimum will help streamline the user experience. If you need to show an error, use the dashboard where possible rather than a modal dialog.

In list view, the icon on each item doesn't really look like "play next." It looks like "play now" (same as just tapping the song). Maybe change this button to the context menu button and add Play Next to that.
    The function of the icon is "queue up the song to play next". I really couldn't find anything that visually depicted this. At first I thought of having an up arrow; however I realized that people can also scroll to previous songs and queue them to play next.

I can't add "Play Next" to the popup menu because it only applies to the current song. There has to be an icon next to each list item. If you come up with an idea for a more appropriate icon image, let me know.
    I really like the icon you used; simple and clean. If I had to change it, I'd use a play icon with a plus sign superimposed.

Preferences: Put all four buttons in a row. Right now it's confusing and I thought the Now Playing and Misc items were part of an Aesthetics category.
    They won't fit on one row which is why I placed them on 2 rows.
    I agree that this could use a different approach. Since you have to scroll within some categories anyway, how about just showing everything in one long scrollable scene? Or check out pReader for a clean way to implement collapsible categories.

And please, don't be afraid to add more preferences! The only reason to open this scene is if you're hoping to tweak something. The more options, the more likely the user will come away happy with an app that works a little more the way they do.

Thanks again, Dan, for your attention to detail and unprecedented responsiveness to user feedback!
    Just a bug I uncovered, or a user error, you decide.

So I was listening to some music on the MPR, when I plugged it into my computer and activated USB mode. Of course when I did this the music stopped playing as expected. Then I deleted all my podcasts and reloaded fresh ones onto the Pre, without effecting the music I was listening to. After that I ejected my Pre and then attempted to restart the music from where it had left off, but it seems that the player had stopped responding, no matter how many times I tapped the album art, the music wouldn't unpause.
  12.    #452  
    Quote Originally Posted by zParticle View Post
    I agree with the suggested behavior. Keeping the error messages to a minimum will help streamline the user experience. If you need to show an error, use the dashboard where possible rather than a modal dialog.
    I agree that if the app can provide an alternate action in lieu of an error, it should. So this is probably going to be a good change to make. However there are times when modal dialog errors are desirable.

I agree that this could use a different approach. Since you have to scroll within some categories anyway, how about just showing everything in one long scrollable scene? Or check out pReader for a clean way to implement collapsible categories.
    In GeoStrings, I used a long scrollable Preferences screen and I received feedback that some people didn't like it. That's why I moved to a tabbed interface which is what I'd normally use when designing a Windows application. But unfortunately in webOS there's no elegant built-in mechanism for a tabbed interface. So it's not completely ideal, but I still think it works well enough.

The best tabbed interface I've seen in a webOS app is in TweetMe when viewing the details of a user. So maybe I'll try to design my own tabbed interface that is a bit more visually appealing.

And please, don't be afraid to add more preferences! The only reason to open this scene is if you're hoping to tweak something. The more options, the more likely the user will come away happy with an app that works a little more the way they do.
    I do agree that it's nice when you have plenty of customization options; however there are also times when there are too many. There are some apps that have a ton of options, but some of them are completely useless. It's a fine line between having many great options and having way too many useless options.

But don't worry, I will add more options when it makes sense to do so.

Thanks again, Dan, for your attention to detail and unprecedented responsiveness to user feedback!
    That's what I'm here for... Many of the ideas being thrown around the thread will help me mold the app into its final version. I may not use everybody's exact idea, but the ideas always get me thinking and inspire me.

Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    great app. Beautiful UI!
  14.    #454  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    Just a bug I uncovered, or a user error, you decide.

So I was listening to some music on the MPR, when I plugged it into my computer and activated USB mode. Of course when I did this the music stopped playing as expected. Then I deleted all my podcasts and reloaded fresh ones onto the Pre, without effecting the music I was listening to. After that I ejected my Pre and then attempted to restart the music from where it had left off, but it seems that the player had stopped responding, no matter how many times I tapped the album art, the music wouldn't unpause.
    The media indexer is a bit strange. Each song has a unique song id associated with it; however when you add or delete music from your device, the song ids sometimes change. And there may be other things that change in a song object when the media indexer refreshes. So it's likely that's what caused your strange behavior.

I would definitely recommend against hooking up your device in USB mode, especially if you're going to modify your music files, while the app is running. I'll add this "bug" to the list; however it's going to be a lower priority.

I was just doing it to see what would happen, generally I don't.
  16.    #456  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    I was just doing it to see what would happen, generally I don't.
    Thanks for testing it...I would have never even thought of doing that!

I could probably have an option to customize the mini-player's wallpaper separately from the main app's wallpaper. That way you could choose something a little more flamboyant for the main app, and something a little more plain and simple for the mini-player.

I'll put that on the list; however I'm not sure when that will be implemented. Aesthetic customizations are going to take a back seat to more important functional changes and bug fixes.
    Oh, and there's also this. ;D

(You can also see that on the Pixi, the "make the app semitransparent when minimized" feature also has some problems)
    ^ That's a pretty compelling argument for having a "no background" option for the mini-player.
    I think this is where you submit suggestions if so, here goes. I think it would be nice if you would add a button on the mini player on the bar to play/pause. it would be like the button to queue a song next in the playlist. It would bring you back to the full app like the default app does when you tap the song info. This would help if you have a lot of cards to quickly go back to the main app.
  20.    #460  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter102 View Post
    I think this is where you submit suggestions if so, here goes. I think it would be nice if you would add a button on the mini player on the bar to play/pause. it would be like the button to queue a song next in the playlist. It would bring you back to the full app like the default app does when you tap the song info. This would help if you have a lot of cards to quickly go back to the main app.
    This is the right place to submit suggestions. However, there is a list of "Known Issues" in the first post of this thread and this request is already listed there. So please check the "Known Issues" list before posting bugs/issues/suggestions.

But to give everybody an update, tonight I implemented a solution to go back to the app from the mini-player. It'll be included in the next beta release.