Page 22 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1217181920212223242526273272 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #421  
    Quote Originally Posted by notcalvin View Post
    -omg a HOME button - THANK YOU
    Even in the old version of the app, you could get back to the Home screen from any other screen by swiping from right to left at the top of the screen. This is also true in the new version. The home button I added to the Now Playing screen is really not needed, but I'm keeping it for now because some people may not ever discover this hidden feature.

-I only you the miniplayer dashboard, and I find that I miss being able to activate the app with it like on the original player
    I'm working on ways to do this.

-I guess it is not possible to have 3 different icons for the 3 dashboard apps?
    No it's not possible.

-Maybe with the 3 dash board apps, you could have a single notification, and then a button on the dashboard, uh, bar that lets one cycle through the 3 controls?
    I really want them to be separate modules. The whole point of the mini-player is to have easy access to your music and playlist. Having to cycle through multiple views would make it a bit harder to use.

-It would be nice if it would save the state of 'shuffle play' on playlists. for example, I have a play list that is all my music except the christmas music, and like to just play that in shuffle play
    I considered this, but in the end decided against it. Back in the old version of the app, people hated that it defaulted to shuffle mode. The impression I got was that most people would prefer the list be restored in its original order regardless of whether they happened to shuffle the list. My gut feeling is that the current behavior will please the most people.

-The now playing scene defaults to coverflow, and it might be nice if there was a way to toggle that default, or at least simply resume in the mode it was last used in?
    I'm considering having an option for the user to choose which mode ("album art" or "list") to display in when loading the Now Playing screen. I'll probably do this.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    I know this request might be way out there...but any way to incorporate play count or last played with songs on the Pre?

or does pre just not do that?
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
  3.    #423  
    Quote Originally Posted by RanGT View Post
    I know this request might be way out there...but any way to incorporate play count or last played with songs on the Pre?

or does pre just not do that?
    The webOS media indexer doesn't currently provide this information, so it would be up to the app to keep track of it. Or since this app scrobbles to Last.FM, it could retrieve the play count from there, but right now I've only been given an ok to use their scrobbling service as part of my commercial agreement with them.

I'm going to see what new features may come in upcoming webOS releases before I make any concrete decisions. But yes ideally I would like to able to display play counts and generate playlists such as "most played", "most played last month", "least played last month", etc.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    last night I plugged my phone into my stereo, as I've done for a long time (using flylists in remix 1.x), excited about the sleep feature. However, when I woke up, it seems to have shut off my phone, rather than just stop playback. As I was asleep at the time, I'm curious if this is the intended function of the app (if so, just stopping playback is definitely preferential) or if my phone went all wonky while I was asleep. If so, I'm wondering if this may be due to a bug.
  5.    #425  
    Quote Originally Posted by hemwick View Post
    last night I plugged my phone into my stereo, as I've done for a long time (using flylists in remix 1.x), excited about the sleep feature. However, when I woke up, it seems to have shut off my phone, rather than just stop playback. As I was asleep at the time, I'm curious if this is the intended function of the app (if so, just stopping playback is definitely preferential) or if my phone went all wonky while I was asleep. If so, I'm wondering if this may be due to a bug.
    The sleep timer stops playback and closes the app. It does not shut down the phone, nor can I imagine any way the sleep timer function could cause the phone to shut down inadvertently.

I've had a few people want the app to close, and a few people simply wanting playback to stop. So I'll add the app shutdown as a configurable option on the Preferences screen.

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Feature Request: Podcast and Audiobook Support

I'd like if podcasts and audiobooks (identified by either their Genre tags, or by folder location i.e. /media/podcasts) could be segregated from the rest of my music.

I spend most of my time listening to podcasts, but this is also an important feature for music listeners who don't want podcasts shuffling in with the rest of their music, or their Artist list littered with artists who really just podcasts.
    Last edited by Mike Cerm; 09/09/2010 at 06:12 PM.
  7.    #427  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cerm View Post
    Feature Request: Podcast and Audiobook Support

I'd like if podcasts and audiobooks (identified by either their Genre tags, or by folder location i.e. /media/podcasts) could be segregated from the rest of my music.

I spend most of my time listening to podcasts, but this is also an important feature for music users who want podcasts shuffling with the rest of their music, or their Artist list littered with Artists who really just podcasts.
    The current version of the webOS media indexer (in webOS 1.4.x) can accept a query for a list of songs matching a specific genre, but I can't generate a query excluding certain genres. But if a future version of the media indexer supports this, then I will include a way to optionally exclude certain genres from "Shuffle All".

However artists don't have genres associated with them. Genres are associated with tracks. An artist could have tracks under several different genres.

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    The current version of the webOS media indexer (in webOS 1.4.x) can accept a query for a list of songs matching a specific genre, but I can't generate a query excluding certain genres. But if a future version of the media indexer supports this, then I will include a way to optionally exclude certain genres from "Shuffle All".
    Would it be a too dirty workaround to create a list of all genres on the device, then simply remove the "excluded genres" and feed the picker with the remaining list?
  9.    #429  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
    Would it be a too dirty workaround to create a list of all genres on the device, then simply remove the "excluded genres" and feed the picker with the remaining list?
    As far as I can tell you can only specify 1 genre when listing all songs. But you never know what Palm has cooking in the kettle. So let's just wait and see.
    Flylists can help with this. I've 2: one including all my fast genres and one including the slower, mellower ones. You could get all your music except audio books and podcasts by adding in all musical genres but not your podcasts or audio book genres. Similarly you could create another flylist adding in only your podcasts and audio books to get the reverse.
  11.    #431  
    Quote Originally Posted by Norf View Post
    Flylists can help with this. I've 2: one including all my fast genres and one including the slower, mellower ones. You could get all your music except audio books and podcasts by adding in all musical genres but not your podcasts or audio book genres. Similarly you could create another flylist adding in only your podcasts and audio books to get the reverse.
    Good point! You could theoretically add all your non-podcast (or non-audiobooks) genres to a single flylist, then simply shuffle that flylist. You could also add the genres to your Faves list and shuffle using the button at the bottom-left corner of the Home screen if you didn't want to have to navigate to the Flylist screen.
    Great app, much better than the stock music app.

A couple of things I have noticed though :

When I add an album to the faves list and then play the album by clicking on the fave entry, the album plays in Alphabetical rather than track order.

When I go through Artist > Album and select the album title to play, the back gesture minimises the card instead of going back to the album listing.

Other than these issues, great app so far!
  13.    #433  
    Quote Originally Posted by tenkian View Post
    When I add an album to the faves list and then play the album by clicking on the fave entry, the album plays in Alphabetical rather than track order.
    This is on the known issues list (found in the first post of this thread). Before reporting issues, please check this list to see if the issue is documented. It's fixed in the next version which I should have ready for release sometime this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by tenkian View Post
    When I go through Artist > Album and select the album title to play, the back gesture minimises the card instead of going back to the album listing.
    Check it again, but make sure you don't do it too quickly. I just tried it myself and it worked fine. But there is a general issue in webOS where if you do it very quickly (in any app), the back gesture sometimes minimizes the app.

Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    It's not a question of any one app being compatible, but whether webOS is compatible. I use Media Monkey (while the device is in "Media Sync" mode) to sync my music and it works great. However I haven't tried to sync playlists in this way. Maybe someone else can chime in on whether this works.
    Playlists work as they should using MM.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre in MN View Post
    O.K, I'm about to make the big switch from iTunes to MediaMonkey ("Gold" version to the tune of $52! ) after reading related threads in other forums...I'm just SO tired of iTunes, I've gotta try something different and I also thought it would be cool to use the PRE and your new Remix 2.0 for playing music etc.

So, question: is your new Music Player (Remix) 2.0 compatible (or going to be compatible) with MediaMonkey for syncing--including the playlists we develop on our PC/in MM? (I'm using Windows 7, if that helps.)

I'm new to this and want it all to go smoothly--I know, I know: wishful thinking with Windows, right?!
    You may not need gold just get the free version and see if it does what you want (It does btw). Where did you get 52 dollars from it's only 20 bucks.
  16.    #436  
    I was just showing off the app to some folks at work who use an iPhone and they were really impressed by some of the features. They said, "wow my phone can't do that".

The best part was when one of them pulled out his iPhone 4, held the home button, swiped to the right and displayed the basic music controls. He then said, can your app do that? I said, "No, but it can do this..." and I minimized the app, launched the web browser, then with one tap of the notification area brought up the multi-module mini-player. In a single tap I could not only have access to basic music controls, I could scrub through my music and browse through my playlist.

They were pretty impressed with all the unique features. While many of the features in my app could easily be implemented in iOS, there are a few key ones that are simply not possible. Universal search ("just type") within the app would not be as seamless as it can be on the Pre/Pixi. And the mini-player is simply impossible in iOS.

So for anyone out there using the app, go show it off to your iBuddies and prepare to amaze them!

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Can you give me a specific example with "[]" where it fails? Please provide me with the exact artist name and song name (case-sensitive). These have to match the information found on lyrics.wikia.com, or it won't be able to retrieve the lyrics.

Also please let me know the exact error message displayed.
    Absolutely. Here's one.

Artist: Johnny Cash
    Album: The Legend of Johnny Cash
    Song: A Boy Named Sue [Live]

I ripped all of my music in Windows Media Player. I noticed that I have a bunch with brackets in the title. Don't know why the person creating the entry in the database felt they had to use this.
  18.    #438  
    Quote Originally Posted by neo999 View Post
    Absolutely. Here's one.

Artist: Johnny Cash
    Album: The Legend of Johnny Cash
    Song: A Boy Named Sue [Live]

I ripped all of my music in Windows Media Player. I noticed that I have a bunch with brackets in the title. Don't know why the person creating the entry in the database felt they had to use this.
    Yeah it won't pull it up because the entry on the site is for "A Boy Named Sue", not "A Boy Named Sue [Live]". The app already takes into account titles with "()" suffixes. I'll update it to also check for "[]" which should allow you to pull lyrics for this type of song.

First of all, let me say that this music app is better than any other I've used, including the ones on my dedicated MP3 players.

That said, I have several suggestions. My first is to use GitHub or some other web app to track feature requests and bugs. It's hard for me to know what's already been discussed without going through every single post here.

This may be a bug: on the Now Playing scene, if you hit the context menu button (second from the left on top), the menu pops up. If you hit it again, the menu gets larger. I think a second press should close it. Making it larger doesn't add any value (with only two items).

Is this app not in the Palm Beta feed because it uses undocumented APIs?

Feature requests:

Right-Hand letter selection:
    • Put the first item for the selected letter at the top, rather than in the middle.
    • If you tap a letter that doesn't have a match, just go to the next letter rather than showing an error message. So if I tap Q and I don't have any matching artists, scroll to R.

Search: I love the search from the home screen, but in the artist list, please display what I've typed.

Now Playing:
    • It's not obvious that the icons on the top are song-specific, especially in list view. Group the Home, List View, and Help buttons next to each other, then put a divider and put the Context Menu, Lyrics, and Bookmark buttons together.
    • In list view, the icon on each item doesn't really look like "play next." It looks like "play now" (same as just tapping the song). Maybe change this button to the context menu button and add Play Next to that.

Mini Player:
    • As stated by others, it would be nice if you could just show one icon. I understand this is a webOS limitation.
    • Allow room on the left side of each bar to go to the app. This is standard in webOS, and I miss it.
    • Add a single-line mini player that allows play/pause, next/prev track, and displays the elapsed time (eg "1:23/4:56") and track number (eg "11/13").

Playlists: Add automatic playlists for Most Played, Least Played, Never Played, and Newest Tracks. I know this is a webOS limitation at the moment.

Scrobbling:
    Will it keep track of songs played while you don't have a data connection, and then scrobble them all when you connect again? (This is not a big issue for me, but others will care)
    Edit: removed an item after watching one of your videos.

Preferences: Put all four buttons in a row. Right now it's confusing and I thought the Now Playing and Misc items were part of an Aesthetics category.

Again, I love your app and I think you've done great work!
    Last edited by ThatMatthew; 09/10/2010 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Correction.
  20.    #440  
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatMatthew View Post
    First of all, let me say that this music app is better than any other I've used, including the ones on my dedicated MP3 players.
    Thanks!

That said, I have several suggestions. My first is to use GitHub or some other web app to track feature requests and bugs. It's hard for me to know what's already been discussed without going through every single post here.
    You don't have to go through every post...just the first one. I'm documenting a list of current issues there. Any issue you come across that is not listed there should be passed on to me in this thread.

This may be a bug: on the Now Playing scene, if you hit the context menu button (second from the left on top), the menu pops up. If you hit it again, the menu gets larger. I think a second press should close it. Making it larger doesn't add any value (with only two items).
    Yes that is a bug! I'll fix it in the next release. As far as closing the popups within the app, you can either tap anywhere on the titlebar of the popup, or just swipe down anywhere on the popup.

Is this app not in the Palm Beta feed because it uses undocumented APIs?
    Correct. It uses the webOS media indexing API which is currently private. Once Palm releases it, the app will be submitted to the official app catalog.

Feature requests:

Right-Hand letter selection:
    • Put the first item for the selected letter at the top, rather than in the middle.
    • Alphabet scroller issues are mentioned in the Known Issues list; however I didn't specifically mention this issue. I'll edit it to mention this issue as well.

• If you tap a letter that doesn't have a match, just go to the next letter rather than showing an error message. So if I tap Q and I don't have any matching artists, scroll to R.
    I have considered this behavior in the past...I'll think about it some more.

Search: I love the search from the home screen, but in the artist list, please display what I've typed.
    Again, this is on the known issues list that universal search has not been implemented on this screen yet. The universal search function available on the Home and Now Playing screens will be implemented on all other screens in a future release.

[*] It's not obvious that the icons on the top are song-specific, especially in list view. Group the Home, List View, and Help buttons next to each other, then put a divider and put the Context Menu, Lyrics, and Bookmark buttons together.
    I want the "?" at the top-right corner and I want the Home icon at the top-left corner, so that eliminates the possibility of grouping them together. And I don't want any dividers. I like the clean look of the 6 icons at the top of the screen. People will quickly learn what each icon does. They can do this through trial and error, or by using the interactive help system ("?" icon).

[*]In list view, the icon on each item doesn't really look like "play next." It looks like "play now" (same as just tapping the song). Maybe change this button to the context menu button and add Play Next to that.[/LIST]
    The function of the icon is "queue up the song to play next". I really couldn't find anything that visually depicted this. At first I thought of having an up arrow; however I realized that people can also scroll to previous songs and queue them to play next.

I can't add "Play Next" to the popup menu because it only applies to the current song. There has to be an icon next to each list item. If you come up with an idea for a more appropriate icon image, let me know.

[*]As stated by others, it would be nice if you could just show one icon. I understand this is a webOS limitation.
    As I've stated before, there's no way to change this. No other app, that I'm aware of, is using the notification area in the way I am. I'm breaking new ground here. So there's nothing I can do about this.

[*]Allow room on the left side of each bar to go to the app. This is standard in webOS, and I miss it.
    I'm working on a way to do this and the way you're suggesting is one of the things I'm considering. This is also listed in the "Known Issues" section.

[*] Add a single-line mini player that allows play/pause, next/prev track, and displays the elapsed time (eg "1:23/4:56") and track number (eg "11/13").[/LIST]
    I don't want to clutter the Basic Controls mini-player module with elapsed time information. This is one of the reasons I came up with the mini-player multi-module concept. If you're interested in both music controls and the scrubber bar, you can display both.

Playlists: Add automatic playlists for Most Played, Least Played, Never Played, and Newest Tracks. I know this is a webOS limitation at the moment.
    This is definitely something I want to do in the future.

Will it keep track of songs played while you don't have a data connection, and then scrobble them all when you connect again? (This is not a big issue for me, but others will care)
    Check the "Known Issues" list for the answer.

Don't submit to Last.fm for 5 seconds, in case you accidentally play a track (Unless that track is less than 5 seconds long, in which case submit it)
    I'm following the guidelines defined by the Last.FM API on track submissions. Scrobbles are not submitted until you reach 240 seconds or half the track length. Tracks less than 30 seconds in length are not scrobbled. When you first start playing a track, a "now playing" submission is submitted immediately, but this will only appear on your Last.FM page briefly and is not part of your scrobble history.

Put all four buttons in a row. Right now it's confusing and I thought the Now Playing and Misc items were part of an Aesthetics category.
    They won't fit on one row which is why I placed them on 2 rows.

Again, I love your app and I think you've done great work!
    Thanks for all of the ideas and suggestions.