Page 15 of 88 FirstFirst ... 510111213141516171819202565 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #281  
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    I gotta go with zParticle on the name issue. It's good any way you slice it, but I think "Remix" does the job nicely. It keeps a tie to it's roots, it still sounds like a music app, and it's just a lot catchier.

As far as the precentral crowd goes, it doesn't really matter what you call it. We know what it is, we know it rocks, we know the importance of a responsive developer, and we know you are one. We're going to keep using it unless you do something shocking and stupid.

However, when/if this ever ends up in the palm catalog, you want something catchy.

Just my $0.02
    I can see it both ways, which is why I have considered just "Remix". I just want to make sure people are not going to pass it up when they browse through the list of apps.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
  2.    #282  
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    You could do the same thing with the default album art that's a CD in a black square - make the black part transparent to see a CD on top of the background.
    I'm not too worried about non-square album art. I think it looks pretty good the way it is (with the wallpaper seeping through).

Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    I suppose you could also use the circle with a line through it symbol as an option for those who need something more obvious.
    I'll have to think about it... I would prefer not to sacrifice the vision I had for the visual design.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

3.    #283  
    Quote Originally Posted by Norf View Post
    OK... found something not working quite right.

Symptoms:
    A faved Genre loads all tracks for the selected genre alphabetically but then adds all other tracks from all other genres alphabetically after them.

To replicate:
    1. Add a genre (preferably one with only a few tracks) to your faves list.
    2. Go to home screen and tap on the newly faved genre. Playback should start and then take you to the now playing scene.
    3. Tap the playlist button (second from the right at the top of the scene) to view the currently playing tracks.
    4. Scroll down the list until you come to the last track of the genre and you should see all other tracks added in alphabetically after it.
    I'm not seeing this behavior. I have a few individual songs in my Faves list, as well as one album. When I add the genre and tap it, it lists the Genre items in alphabetical order, then the songs are listed in the order they appear in the Faves list, then the album is list in track order.

However in the latest public beta release (1.99.5), there is an issue where albums added to a faves list (or flylist) will list in alphabetical order (not track list order). So on your device, if you had an album in your Faves list, it would be in alphabetical order.

What other items do you have in your Faves list (other than the genre) that are being listed in alphabetical order? If it's an album, then that's why you're seeing this issue.

This leads me to another small usability suggestion. When I'm browsing through my music and I tap on the "+" icon for something, I'd like / expect to see a "play now" or "play all" option in the popup menu in addition to the "play after current" and "add at end" options. It took me a wee while to twig that tapping through to the eventual track list and tapping one of the tracks would actually queue up all the displayed tracks. This would have the added benefit of allowing you to queue up all albums for an artist with more than one album on your device.
    I've actually considering something like this; however it would make the popup quite large, especially on a Pixi.

However I think I have a good solution. I could add a "Play" icon at the bottom of the artist's album list and album's song list screens. Tapping it would load all the songs of the artist or album into a new playlist.

Does that sound pretty good?

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I'm not seeing this behavior. I have a few individual songs in my Faves list, as well as one album. When I add the genre and tap it, it lists the Genre items in alphabetical order, then the songs are listed in the order they appear in the Faves list, then the album is list in track order.
    Me thinks I'm not understanding the faves list. Are you saying that the behaviour of tapping something in the faves list is it should load up whatever the tap target is for and then load up everything else from the faves list after it? For me I'd only want a tap on a faves list item to load up what I tapped on.

However in the latest public beta release (1.99.5), there is an issue where albums added to a faves list (or flylist) will list in alphabetical order (not track list order). So on your device, if you had an album in your Faves list, it would be in alphabetical order.
    I've got 4 genres and 2 flylists in my faves lists. The flylists both pull in a few assorted genres themselves. The genre items bring up the genre tracks in alphabetical order and the flylists bring up their tracks sorted alphabetically and grouped by genre. The sorting is fine by me as I'll usually shuffle things anyway. That's the reason I noticed the behaviour of extra stuff appearing I wasn't expecting as I'd load up a genre via the faves list and tap shuffle... I'd then get techno, classical, metal, blues etc. tracks playing when I'd loaded up my punk stuff. Ouch

However I think I have a good solution. I could add a "Play" icon at the bottom of the artist's album list and album's song list screens. Tapping it would load all the songs of the artist or album into a new playlist.

Does that sound pretty good?
    It's not just for artists albums mind you. As a new user I'd be expecting to see it in with the other play methods. I do get the Pixi screen size constraints though, so I guess a play icon down next to the shuffle button you see on most lists would do the trick.
  5.    #285  
    Me thinks I'm not understanding the faves list. Are you saying that the behaviour of tapping something in the faves list is it should load up whatever the tap target is for and then load up everything else from the faves list after it? For me I'd only want a tap on a faves list item to load up what I tapped on.
    The original intention of the Faves list was a list of individual entities that you would pin to your home screen to have one-touch access to. Tapping on an item would start playing it.

But after implementing it I realized it that Faves could have a second purpose for some people. It could be used as a flylist that is pinned to the home screen. So to accommodate both uses, I treated it as a flylist and when you tap on an item, it loads that item, but also loads the rest of the Faves list in sequential order.

That way, if you only care about one item in the list, tap it and then when it's finished playing, you can go find something else to listen to. And if you do want to play everything in the Faves list, it'll do that for you.

So really the Faves list is whatever you make it out to be.

That's the reason I noticed the behaviour of extra stuff appearing I wasn't expecting as I'd load up a genre via the faves list and tap shuffle... I'd then get techno, classical, metal, blues etc. tracks playing when I'd loaded up my punk stuff. Ouch
    Can you elaborate on this? Are you saying that items not saved in the Faves list are appearing when you use the shuffle option at the bottom of the screen? I'm not seeing this behavior on my device.

It's not just for artists albums mind you. As a new user I'd be expecting to see it in with the other play methods. I do get the Pixi screen size constraints though, so I guess a play icon down next to the shuffle button you see on most lists would do the trick.
    I'll add the Play icon on the album, artist, genre, playlist, and flylist item list screens.

The original intention of the Faves list was a list of individual entities that you would pin to your home screen to have one-touch access to. Tapping on an item would start playing it.

But after implementing it I realized it that Faves could have a second purpose for some people. It could be used as a flylist that is pinned to the home screen. So to accommodate both uses, I treated it as a flylist and when you tap on an item, it loads that item, but also loads the rest of the Faves list in sequential order.

That way, if you only care about one item in the list, tap it and then when it's finished playing, you can go find something else to listen to. And if you do want to play everything in the Faves list, it'll do that for you.
    Yeah, I can see cases for both i.e. loading just what's been tapped or loading the whole show. However, I listen to particular genres (and now multiple similar genres thanks to flylists) a lot and that's pretty much always on shuffle. So the current behaviour, for me anyway, means that shuffling something launched from the faves list is a no no. Perhaps an option could be added to only load what's been tapped or to load stuff as it does just now would make for a happy medium?

Can you elaborate on this? Are you saying that items not saved in the Faves list are appearing when you use the shuffle option at the bottom of the screen? I'm not seeing this behavior on my device.
    OK, checked this. It's only loading stuff that's been faved. In my case that's most of the stuff I've got on my Pre though.

I'll add the Play icon on the album, artist, genre, playlist, and flylist item list screens.
    Brilliant, thanks!
  7.    #287  
    Yeah, I can see cases for both i.e. loading just what's been tapped or loading the whole show. However, I listen to particular genres (and now multiple similar genres thanks to flylists) a lot and that's pretty much always on shuffle. So the current behaviour, for me anyway, means that shuffling something launched from the faves list is a no no. Perhaps an option could be added to only load what's been tapped or to load stuff as it does just now would make for a happy medium?
    I see what you're saying. For people who like to shuffle their lists, the current Faves behavior may not work if you only wanted to shuffle a single item in the list. That is a good point. I'll think about a way to handle this situation.

8.    #288  
    I've posted a poll in the Hedami developer forum to compile some data on what everybody's favorite features are within the app. I have gotten some great feedback in this thread, but I'd like some hard data on what features people are really digging.

So please visit the Music Player (Remix) 2.0 Favorite Featuers Poll Thread and vote on your favorite features.

Keep in mind though that the homebrew thread (you're reading right now) should remain the primary place to share feedback on the app. The poll thread's only purpose is to compile data on which features people like the best.

Norf's scenario is an example of potential issues with treating the faves list as one big flylist.

I'm not sure this has any advantages over keeping faves as independent "shortcuts" to their respective item type, so tapping that item on the faves list is the same thing as drilling down through the menus for it and hitting play.

I have a feeling in most cases that will be the expected behavior, rather than having it play all faves or shuffle all faves. If we want a Big List o' Stuff to act on as a unit, that can be accomplished through another flylist.

Treating each fave as an independent entity would also allow for autobookmarks for any playlist/flylist items to be stored independently as I was wishing for above. You could then have an "auto-resume faves" setting in preferences to select whether faves always started from the beginning or picked up where you left off.

Sweet! I really like the idea of a play button at each of the container levels!
    Love the app Dan.
    Since you can Pause/Play while viewing Lyrics, how hard would it be to implement left to right and right to left swipes to go forward and backward within the playlist?

I have absolutely no complaints with the app, Great Stuff!!
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    FEATURE REQUEST

Currently you can "Swipe Up" to bump a song to play next.
    Can you add a "Swipe Down" to bump a song to the end of the playlist?

CHANGE REQUEST

I noticed that I had used the mini player to see what song was coming up next... I then listened to a couple songs and when I went back it was still showing that previous preview... so I had to then tap though the songs I already heard to find out what was going to play next.

On the mini tray player, can you set the "preview" line to auto update to the current song playing when it is pulled back up in the notifications area.

On a lesser/side note... is it possible to add the "swipe up/down" feature to the notification tray player?

Lyric Search Change
    I played a song by Huey Lewis - Naturally and was able to pull up the lyrics...
    I then later came across a barbershop group Wise Guys singing Naturally, but I was unable to pull up an lyrics.

Can you have the lyrics search separately by Title and Artist...
    If both come up with the same lyric then just show it, but if there are multiple results can you display a selection option?

I would rather find the wrong lyrics occasionally (based on title) than have non available because the artist is different.

AGREEMENT ON PREVIOUS REQUEST(s)

I love that I can "Fave" a Genre, but could you set it to "Auto Shuffle" when selected or add an option in preferences.

(BUG) I also noticed that when I click on the Genre I faved, the system is pulling in more than that 1 genre.
    (Correction) Based on your recent responses I see this is not a bug, but a design. I agree with "Norf" that I would prefer to use the Favs in the same way as going down the list to a genre or album and playing it as an individual. - thanks

THANKS!

I can't even begin to tell you how Awesome this is! Such a dramatic change even from the first "Remix". Friggin Great!!!
    Last edited by Tasselhof; 09/07/2010 at 12:59 PM.
    where do I put album art so it shows up? Currently I have the jpg in the folder that contains the music, that only seems to work some of the time. Are there constraints I'm not aware of? Weird some show and some don't. Music I have copied onto my pre is in the Amazon music folder, in folders by artist.

thanks
  13.    #293  
    Quote Originally Posted by swtmelrose View Post
    where do I put album art so it shows up? Currently I have the jpg in the folder that contains the music, that only seems to work some of the time. Are there constraints I'm not aware of? Weird some show and some don't. Music I have copied onto my pre is in the Amazon music folder, in folders by artist.

thanks
    For best results, make sure the album art is embedded within the file, instead of being resident in the same folder. I used an application called Media Monkey to transfer over all my music (while the device was in "Media Sync" mode) and checked the "embed album art" option and now almost all of my album art is showing up on the Pre.

14.    #294  
    Quote Originally Posted by zParticle View Post
    Norf's scenario is an example of potential issues with treating the faves list as one big flylist.

I'm not sure this has any advantages over keeping faves as independent "shortcuts" to their respective item type, so tapping that item on the faves list is the same thing as drilling down through the menus for it and hitting play.

I have a feeling in most cases that will be the expected behavior, rather than having it play all faves or shuffle all faves. If we want a Big List o' Stuff to act on as a unit, that can be accomplished through another flylist.

Treating each fave as an independent entity would also allow for autobookmarks for any playlist/flylist items to be stored independently as I was wishing for above. You could then have an "auto-resume faves" setting in preferences to select whether faves always started from the beginning or picked up where you left off.
    I'll come up with something to allow the user to treat Faves as individual items or as a big list.

15.    #295  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Love the app Dan.
    Since you can Pause/Play while viewing Lyrics, how hard would it be to implement left to right and right to left swipes to go forward and backward within the playlist?

I have absolutely no complaints with the app, Great Stuff!!
    As you may know, this was actually present in the old version of the app. I removed it because I didn't want people to get confused over the new swiping behavior on the Now Playing screen (used for Playlist Preview mode).

But I do plan on coming up with some way to switch songs on the Lyrics screen.

16.    #296  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tasselhof View Post
    FEATURE REQUEST

Currently you can "Swipe Up" to bump a song to play next.
    Can you add a "Swipe Down" to bump a song to the end of the playlist?

CHANGE REQUEST
    While I like your idea, the only problem is that I don't have any more room at the bottom of the screen for the instructions on how to use Playlist Preview mode. I really want to include them there for new users. While the app will have the interactive help system ("?" at the top-right corner of every screen), I've found through my experiences with GeoStrings that not everyone bothers to use the interactive help system.

On the mini tray player, can you set the "preview" line to auto update to the current song playing when it is pulled back up in the notifications area.
    I'll make this change.

On a lesser/side note... is it possible to add the "swipe up/down" feature to the notification tray player?
    No unfortunately it's not possible for dashboards to detect swipe up and down. If you try to swipe up and down, you'll notice the whole dashboard moves up and down.

Lyric Search Change
    I played a song by Huey Lewis - Naturally and was able to pull up the lyrics...
    I then later came across a barbershop group Wise Guys singing Naturally, but I was unable to pull up an lyrics.

Can you have the lyrics search separately by Title and Artist...
    If both come up with the same lyric then just show it, but if there are multiple results can you display a selection option?

I would rather find the wrong lyrics occasionally (based on title) than have non available because the artist is different.
    No there are too many examples where this wouldn't work. Certain song names would generate hundreds of different results, many of which would not be correct.

I love that I can "Fave" a Genre, but could you set it to "Auto Shuffle" when selected or add an option in preferences.
    If you only have one item in your Faves list, you can shuffle it by tapping on the shuffle icon at the bottom-left corner of the screen.

But if you have more than one item, you can't currently shuffle individual items in the Faves list. I'm working on ways to alleviate this shortcoming.

(BUG) I also noticed that when I click on the Genre I faved, the system is pulling in more than that 1 genre.
    Is the Genre the only item in your Faves list? If not, then that makes sense since all items in the Faves list will play. If this is the only item in your Faves list, then that's an issue; however I can't see how that would be possible.

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Can you add the "Swipe Down" as a "hidden" feature... if anything it seems like it would be an intuitive interface addition... at least it was to me. I found it would be an easy way to get rid of a song that I didn't want to hear at the time.

Or say that you can swipe up/down to set next/last song

In terms of the Faves thing.. I did post a correction to my original post saying it was design not bug. I think it is great that you are reviewing a way to make it an option on how the Faves are used. - thanks

You really have taken the Music Player to a whole new level. I want to listen to music on my phone now rather than streaming :} for the shear control I have.
    Thanks again!
    Hey Dan, just wanted to great GREAT JOB with this! Im glad to finally have my hands on it!

PS Is there a way (or space) to make an Icon showing if a song is included into a flylist?

For example if im looking at my "now playing" screen on just "random all" can you incorporate an icon showing that the song playing is also filed under a fly list?
  19.    #299  
    Can you add the "Swipe Down" as a "hidden" feature... if anything it seems like it would be an intuitive interface addition... at least it was to me. I found it would be an easy way to get rid of a song that I didn't want to hear at the time.

Or say that you can swipe up/down to set next/last song
    The more I think about it, the more I really like this idea...I know I've had cases where I would like to "throw away" a song that was coming up in a playlist. I thought of way to do it. Instead of listing all of the instructions separately, I'll simply indicate that they can use the interactive help system ("?" icon) to learn more about Playlist Preview mode.

You really have taken the Music Player to a whole new level. I want to listen to music on my phone now rather than streaming :} for the shear control I have.
    Thanks again!
    Thanks a lot!

20.    #300  
    Quote Originally Posted by gsonspre View Post
    Hey Dan, just wanted to great GREAT JOB with this! Im glad to finally have my hands on it!

PS Is there a way (or space) to make an Icon showing if a song is included into a flylist?

For example if im looking at my "now playing" screen on just "random all" can you incorporate an icon showing that the song playing is also filed under a fly list?
    I'm not sure where I would put this. But even if there was a place, what benefit would this provide someone viewing the Now Playing screen?