Page 13 of 88 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617182363 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    - Add shuffle and resume auto-bookmark options on the Home screen for the Faves list.
    This was an interesting and unexpected way to implement the ability to resume from the faves screen. It essentially gives the faves list its own bookmark independent of that stored with playlists/flylists.

advantage: You can interrupt playback of one fave to play another, then hit the fave bookmark to go right back to where you were. If you hit the bookmark again, it takes you to exactly where you were in the second item, and you can bounce back and forth between two items like this indefinitely, tracking your progress in each. That's pretty cool!

disadvantage: Once you start playing a third fave, it forgets where you were in the first one. So the bookmark here is just tracking your recent fave activity, not your progress in each of them.

For comparison, the behavior I had kind of expected was for the bookmark icon to be a toggle. If enabled, tapping a fave would use the stored "resume" bookmark that already existed for playlists (flylists), just as if you had selected the bookmark icon when entering the playlist manually, and when switching to something else, this resume bookmark would be saved until the next time you played that particular item (whether via faves or elsewhere).

Again, for audiobooks—where you really don't want to lose your place—a more permanent way of tracking progress would be preferable. And I wouldn't mind if this were a preferences toggle that affected all media. It would be kinda cool to resume where you left off in any album, song, etc, given that they're easy enough to restart if desired.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Yeah, they're loading up in the correct order on the Albums screen, they seem to be going in alphabetical order off the Faves screen though.
  3.    #243  
    Quote Originally Posted by mpfef View Post
    Yeah, they're loading up in the correct order on the Albums screen, they seem to be going in alphabetical order off the Faves screen though.
    Alright cool. I have it fixed in the next beta version. Actually it was doing the same thing for albums saved in flylists and albums that you load into the current playlist from universal search.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. Can you elaborate?
    The playback sound from both aops was ocurring simultaneously.
  5.    #245  
    Quote Originally Posted by zParticle View Post
    This was an interesting and unexpected way to implement the ability to resume from the faves screen. It essentially gives the faves list its own bookmark independent of that stored with playlists/flylists.

advantage: You can interrupt playback of one fave to play another, then hit the fave bookmark to go right back to where you were. If you hit the bookmark again, it takes you to exactly where you were in the second item, and you can bounce back and forth between two items like this indefinitely, tracking your progress in each. That's pretty cool!

disadvantage: Once you start playing a third fave, it forgets where you were in the first one. So the bookmark here is just tracking your recent fave activity, not your progress in each of them.

For comparison, the behavior I had kind of expected was for the bookmark icon to be a toggle. If enabled, tapping a fave would use the stored "resume" bookmark that already existed for playlists (flylists), just as if you had selected the bookmark icon when entering the playlist manually, and when switching to something else, this resume bookmark would be saved until the next time you played that particular item (whether via faves or elsewhere).

Again, for audiobooks—where you really don't want to lose your place—a more permanent way of tracking progress would be preferable. And I wouldn't mind if this were a preferences toggle that affected all media. It would be kinda cool to resume where you left off in any album, song, etc, given that they're easy enough to restart if desired.
    The "Faves" list is just a flylist pinned to your home screen. It behaves in the exact same way as a flylist. So in the same way you can restore an auto-bookmark in a flylist, you can in the Faves list.

I would have preferred to add auto-bookmarking to other groupings (albums, artists, genres); however I'm concerned that the app will run out of cookie space. I'm pretty sure there's a limited amount of space available for cookies and if the app saves auto-bookmarks on everything, I'm worried it'll run out of space. And I can't use a database (which has much more storage capabilities) because writing data to a database is an asynchronous operation and those are not guaranteed to be completed if the app is abruptly closed.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    Dan, this new version is great, but as an audiobook user, I was really hoping the scrubber bar would be more usable in moving around in a long track. You still need to drag the button with your finger and can't fine tune the position. I know this app is primarily for music, but, given that there is no Audible app yet, lots of us use it for audiobooks. Would it be that hard to provide some sort of fine-tuning for the scrubber?
  7.    #247  
    Quote Originally Posted by tyea View Post
    The playback sound from both aops was ocurring simultaneously.
    If you run two apps at the same time that play audio, that's probably what would happen. I would suggest running only one app that plays audio files at one time. Or if you're going to run them simultaneously, be sure to only play audio in one app at a time.

8.    #248  
    Quote Originally Posted by jc924 View Post
    Dan, this new version is great, but as an audiobook user, I was really hoping the scrubber bar would be more usable in moving around in a long track. You still need to drag the button with your finger and can't fine tune the position. I know this app is primarily for music, but, given that there is no Audible app yet, lots of us use it for audiobooks. Would it be that hard to provide some sort of fine-tuning for the scrubber?
    I have plans regarding this. I just haven't implemented it yet. So keep a look out!

The "Faves" list is just a flylist pinned to your home screen. It behaves in the exact same way as a flylist. So in the same way you can restore an auto-bookmark in a flylist, you can in the Faves list.
    That makes sense.

Since the faves list as treated as one big flylist, I suppose there's no way to independently track progress into individual audiobooks pinned to the faves list, eh?

Since I'm usually listening to a half dozen books or so at any given time, I was hoping to pin all of these to the faves list, and just be able to tap the book I wanted to pick up where I left off. I can accomplish this now by using flylists and then the bookmark icon—a huge improvement—it's just not quite as slick as I'd hoped. See what happens when you create such high standards?

I would have preferred to add auto-bookmarking to other groupings (albums, artists, genres); however I'm concerned that the app will run out of cookie space. I'm pretty sure there's a limited amount of space available for cookies and if the app saves auto-bookmarks on everything, I'm worried it'll run out of space. And I can't use a database (which has much more storage capabilities) because writing data to a database is an asynchronous operation and those are not guaranteed to be completed if the app is abruptly closed.
    Ah, I hadn't anticipated this could create a space issue, or I'd just say yeah, enable resume across the board!
  10. wxl
    thx for the update, Dan. The default repeat mode option is much appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by jc924 View Post
    Since this is a limitation of this particular webOS control rather than how it's implemented in Remix, I'd recommending checking out the Reduce Drag Radius patches to increase the granularity of this control. You'll need to experiment a bit, because it's easy to make it too sensitive, which can hinder certain operations like launching apps.
    Dan:

Great job! I have been using Remix for three days and I find that I am now spending more time listening to my music and audio books than podcasts. I have one question though, where is the music index saved? I sync'ed my music library with doubletwist with Remix running and now Remix just spins when "Re-building music index..." I thought if I deleted the index file, Remix would rebuild it when I restarted the app.

Thanks!!!
  13.    #253  
    Quote Originally Posted by zParticle View Post
    That makes sense.

Since the faves list as treated as one big flylist, I suppose there's no way to independently track progress into individual audiobooks pinned to the faves list, eh?

Since I'm usually listening to a half dozen books or so at any given time, I was hoping to pin all of these to the faves list, and just be able to tap the book I wanted to pick up where I left off. I can accomplish this now by using flylists and then the bookmark icon—a huge improvement—it's just not quite as slick as I'd hoped. See what happens when you create such high standards?
    I never really thought of the Faves list being used in that way, being that I'm a music listener vs. an audiobook listener. But I'll be putting more thought into auto-bookmarks and see if I can expand their scope.

14.    #254  
    Quote Originally Posted by milliman View Post
    Dan:

Great job! I have been using Remix for three days and I find that I am now spending more time listening to my music and audio books than podcasts. I have one question though, where is the music index saved? I sync'ed my music library with doubletwist with Remix running and now Remix just spins when "Re-building music index..." I thought if I deleted the index file, Remix would rebuild it when I restarted the app.

Thanks!!!
    The "re-building music index" message indicates that the webOS media indexer is not returning back a "ready" status. If you get this message in my app, please close the app and open up the built-in music app. If it sits there with a spinner, then I would try rebooting your device. If my app has the spinner, but the built-in music app does not, please let me know so I can investigate the issue.

15.    #255  
    Quote Originally Posted by wxl View Post
    thx for the update, Dan. The default repeat mode option is much appreciated.
    No problem!

first off - remix 1 was awesome...second off - remix 2 is a whole new level of awesome!

3 questions:
    1) what is the second icon from the left - looks like a lock...
    2) is there any way to keep dashboard mode running when you throw the main card away? brightness unlinked for example does this - if you throw the main card away it runs in dashboard until you dismiss the dashboard...the quick tasks app does the same thing...was wondering if you could do that with this app...
    3) you have a sleep timer...what are your thoughts on having an alarm/wake up function?
    Thanks Dan! A reboot and firing up the original music app fixed everything.
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Dan,

Great work. I have a question about Lyrics. is there a way to get lyrics that you already haven Itunes (yes I know I know) over to Remix. Maybe there's a way of embedding lyrics into the file like is done for album artwork.
  19.    #259  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta View Post
    Dan,

Great work. I have a question about Lyrics. is there a way to get lyrics that you already haven Itunes (yes I know I know) over to Remix. Maybe there's a way of embedding lyrics into the file like is done for album artwork.
    All media information is retrieved from the webOS media indexer and this information is not currently provided by the media indexer API.

20.    #260  
    Quote Originally Posted by milliman View Post
    Thanks Dan! A reboot and firing up the original music app fixed everything.
    Before rebooting, did you try running the built-in music app? If so, was the spinner present in that app as well?