Page 11 of 88 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415162161 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #201  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    Does this app work on the Pixi? I tried to get it to work on my friends girlfriends pixi and it wouldn't
    Yes, I remember someone else in this thread mentioning they were on a Pixi. However as mentioned in the "Known Issues" list (in the first post of the thread), I haven't tested all screens with the Pixi resolution, so there will probably be a few screens that are not formatted properly under certain conditions.

So whatever issue your girlfriend is having, it's probably not related to the Pixi. Can you provide more details as to what is not working?
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
  2.    #202  
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    @DanPLC I havent looked through the threads to see if anyone else has made a note of this or not. But, I notice that if I close the app while a song is playing it takes a good 4-5 seconds before the music stops playing after the app has closed out.
    For a list of known issues, always check the first post of this thread. And yes this is on the "Known Issues" list and will be something I plan on working on.

Also, is there a way of getting album art from the web?
    Apps cannot currently write back to the music file tags, so if an app downloads album art from the web, it has to store it locally on the device. In my opinion, this is pointless because as you rotate your music on your device, the album art you downloaded will not transfer back to the PC. So the time you spent finding all that album art has been wasted.

So until the API allows for music file tag updates, you won't see that type of feature in this app. The best solution for easily obtaining album art is using an application like Media Monkey on your PC. That way once you embed the album art into your music files on your PC, you never have to do it again. And the album art will be available on all your devices (PC, phone, media center, tablet, etc.).

The app is amazing otherwise, its beautiful and has a lot of really amazing options built in. Thanks for all of the work.
    You're welcome!
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    The best solution for easily obtaining album art is using an application like Media Monkey on your PC. That way once you embed the album art into your music files on your PC, you never have to do it again. And the album art will be available on all your devices (PC, phone, media center, tablet, etc.).

i jus started on this long journey for my 4000 plus music collection its been fun and it really adds to your collection if your willing to take the time to do it
    THE CHAMP IS HERE!!
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    I have been using it for a couple of days now, and other than the few minor things mentioned in the thread, have had no problems. Thanks for the great app, will purchase once in the app catalog.
    is this in preware? Isthere a testing feed I don't know about?
  6.    #206  
    Quote Originally Posted by joedisaster View Post
    is this in preware? Isthere a testing feed I don't know about?
    I just checked and it's listed in the "PreCentral" feed. The easiest way to find it is to just type "Remix" in Preware after all the feeds load up.

Solid app. Like the features and increased speed over the last version, especially regarding the alphabetical column on the right side of some navigation screens.

Suggestions:

1. 3 of those pop-ups bars at the bottom of the screen is a bit much for my tastes. If I receive an e-mail or a text, etc., things get even more ridiculous. Maybe leave 1 of them enabled by default/combine 2 of them.
    2. "Now Playing" and "?" buttons look out of place in the UI
    3. The shuffle (is it shuffle?) icon and bar at the bottom of the screen doesn't need to be there when navigating. It wastes space and adds clutter
    4. Bring back swipe album art L/R to switch songs
    5. Remove "To add a new fave sentence" text to reduce clutter. Leave no faves are current pinned to your home screen, followed by a question mark button or something. Don't center align the text here.
    Very nice!!! I'm really liking the last.fm integration. I also found a script/developer that takes last.fm info and updates Itunes. Not really useful to me since I sync & listen to music with Media Jukebox. But the fact that your app has this integration....awesome!!!! So with your app, someone can update their Itunes play count.

If interested, the ScrobbleMapper can be found here --> scrobblemapper - Project Hosting on Google Code
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
  9.    #209  
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    1. 3 of those pop-ups bars at the bottom of the screen is a bit much for my tastes. If I receive an e-mail or a text, etc., things get even more ridiculous. Maybe leave 1 of them enabled by default/combine 2 of them.
    The mini-player modules are configurable by you! Go to the "Preferences" screen in the app's menu and you can choose which ones to display when the app is minimized.

2. "Now Playing" and "?" buttons look out of place in the UI
    Do you have any ideas on how you think they should look? You don't need to draw it up or anything...just a rough description will do.

3. The shuffle (is it shuffle?) icon and bar at the bottom of the screen doesn't need to be there when navigating. It wastes space and adds clutter
    I'm sorry I disagree. First of all, I think it's nice to have a shuffle all option available on all the screens. And on screens such as the list of artist albums, or list of album songs, it is necessary because some people like to shuffle these types of lists.

I actually included it on the other screens for a specific purpose. I won't discuss the details yet, but hopefully in a future update you'll see the true reason why they're there.

Bring back swipe album art L/R to switch songs
    Sorry... swiping is now part of the new Playlist Preview mode that allows you to browse your current playlist without stopping playback of the current song. This type of feature was requested several times in the original homebrew thread, so I definitely wanted to include a way to do this. While you're in Playlist Preview mode, you can tap on the album art to switch songs.

Remove "To add a new fave sentence" text to reduce clutter. Leave no faves are current pinned to your home screen, followed by a question mark button or something. Don't center align the text here.
    I want new users to understand what this new area on the home screen is all about and how to add the new faves. I'm sorry, again I just don't agree with your suggestion. While I did disagree with some of your suggestions, I do encourage you to keep them coming. There are going to be certain design decisions I will not change; however there are certain things I may change my mind on based upon feedback I receive here.

10.    #210  
    Quote Originally Posted by RanGT View Post
    Very nice!!! I'm really liking the last.fm integration. I also found a script/developer that takes last.fm info and updates Itunes. Not really useful to me since I sync & listen to music with Media Jukebox. But the fact that your app has this integration....awesome!!!! So with your app, someone can update their Itunes play count.

If interested, the ScrobbleMapper can be found here --> scrobblemapper - Project Hosting on Google Code
    Thanks for the info on ScrobbleMapper...that's really handy.

The mini-player modules are configurable by you! Go to the "Preferences" screen in the app's menu and you can choose which ones to display when the app is minimized.
    Thanks or pointing that out. The music controls module is very good. Perhaps leave only that module enabled by default, and then give the user the option on whether or not to enable the other 2 modules? I think it adds clutter.

Do you have any ideas on how you think they should look? You don't need to draw it up or anything...just a rough description will do.
    I think it's the shiny rounded beveled look of the buttons that makes them look misplaced to me. Perhaps a less shiny, flatter look, similar to the the buttons in the preferences menu? Or perhaps simply decrease how rounded they are so they don't "pop out" as much to the user?
  12.    #212  
    Thanks or pointing that out. The music controls module is very good. Perhaps leave only that module enabled by default, and then give the user the option on whether or not to enable the other 2 modules? I think it adds clutter.
    I think we can both agree that no matter what mini-player module options I choose to set by default, not everybody will agree with it. So I might as well leave it as is. And really the reason I chose to enable all 3 modules by default is that I want people to be aware of the 3 available modules. I think some people, like myself, are really going to like the complete control they have while using other apps. But like you pointed out, there will be people who prefer just the basic music controls, or even no mini-player which is why they have the option to configure it that way.

I think it's the shiny rounded beveled look of the buttons that makes them look misplaced to me. Perhaps a less shiny, flatter look, similar to the the buttons in the preferences menu? Or perhaps simply decrease how rounded they are so they don't "pop out" as much to the user?
    I actually spent a lot of time on the look of those 2 buttons. I played around with various designs. I settled on the current design mainly because I thought the current "?" icon looked good with the other icons at the top of the Now Playing screen. So I then designed the "Resume Play" and "Now Playing" buttons to have the same look since they're adjacent to the "?" icon.

But if someone can come up with a new look for these buttons, post them here and if I find something I like better, I'll go with it.

The best solution for easily obtaining album art is using an application like Media Monkey on your PC. That way once you embed the album art into your music files on your PC, you never have to do it again. And the album art will be available on all your devices (PC, phone, media center, tablet, etc.).
    Quote Originally Posted by mksand28 View Post
    i jus started on this long journey for my 4000 plus music collection its been fun and it really adds to your collection if your willing to take the time to do it
    Any tips for speeding up/automating this process for a large collection? The Batch Art Finder script for MediaMonkey has been helpful, but there's still a lot of manual lookups for self-ripped and obscure titles. You're definitely right that it adds nice value to the collection, especially with sweet players like Remix.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    DanPLC you are not only a great app developer but a trooper, and a true diplomat. The way you handled this thread has been a lesson taught to anyone engaging in online conversation. It's people like you that make PreCentral the great place that it is and gives hope that the internet wont turn completely into a vast wasteland of pointless and useless stuff full of a-holes and creeps.

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar.
    Whoever wrote/designed the original WebOS Music Player should be embarrassed right about now.

The original Music Player (Remix) was a big upgrade from the built-in app when it was released, and I've used it exclusively ever since.

Over time, I started to become unhappy with it because all of the new and added features were slowing the interface down with each update, and it was getting to the point where I was about ready to give up all the extras and go back to the original.

Now this new version comes out, and it has officially made my Pre the best mp3 player I have ever owned. All the features that slowed it down are still there, but the thing is fast and smooth. No more interface lag.

No more lag or wierd blips when changing tracks.

The new and improved dashboard mode is FANTASTIC when I have my Pre on the touchstone in my car. It now completely makes up for the fact that I bought a cheap BT head-unit that doesn't display any information and depends on the player for all but the most basic controls.

When/if this app makes it's way into the official catalogue, I will GLADLY pay any reasonable price for it.

Kodus. Major kudos.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    And really the reason I chose to enable all 3 modules by default is that I want people to be aware of the 3 available modules.

I think that's a VERY wise choice. There are few (if any) apps that have this kind of multi-tier dashboard, so it is MUCH more reasonable to expect a person who doesn't like it to look for a way to dissable the extras than to expect the average user to go looking for a way to add more to it.
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    I haven't started using Last.FM until recently when I started testing scrobbling, so I'm probably not the best person to answer this. Perhaps another Last.FM user can chime in.

But basically yes it keeps track of all the songs you play (at least the ones you played for half the length of the song or 240 seconds...whichever comes first).

There would be a way to get a list of the top 20 played songs; however I'm pretty sure I'd have to re-submit the commercial license agreement and it's very likely I'd have to pay Last.FM a fee (or percentage of the profits) to use this service. I'm pretty sure only their scrobbling service is free. So we'll have to see how the app does...then I can re-evaluate whether I'll consider using more Last.FM services within the app.
    You can get any users top 50 artists in XML (with no license at all) by using: "http://ws.audioscrobbler.com/1.0/user/" + userName + "/topartists.xml"

You need an API key for getting top tracks but authentication isn't required: user.getTopTracks

My personal favourite I'd like to see is to be able to "love" a currently playing song to my last.fm account using the track.love call. From the looks of things this ties in with a scrobbling call as well. You could then have Remix create a special flylist that uses the user.getLovedTracks call to pull up any / all loved tracks on my device. I'm pretty sure, by only pulling that data and not streaming the actual tracks from last.fm you'd likely avoid having to pay them. Please kindly add all that functionality by yesterday The latter bit is more an example of what can be done with Last.fm than a serious request. Actually, thinking about it, there's quite a few uses for various "getTopWhatever" API calls being used to generate playlists. The hard part would be matching Last.fm results to physical tracks on a device - it'd need to all be tagged correctly for starters.

There's also quite a few of the API calls that only require a valid (free or commercial) last.fm API key. I'm been adding in a good few of them to the next version of my app and they work pretty well. My interest in last.fm stuff was rekindled thanks to you, DanPLC, for adding scrobbling to Remix 2 It's so nice to have it back!

Now, another request... I think I requested this in the older preview thread but I'll add it here: when I connect my bluetooth headset, launch Remix 2 and hit the play button on the headset I'd really like that to be treated as if I'd tapped the "resume play" button in the app itself. Once Remix is playing the bluetooth controls work a treat
  18.    #218  
    Quote Originally Posted by zParticle View Post
    Any tips for speeding up/automating this process for a large collection? The Batch Art Finder script for MediaMonkey has been helpful, but there's still a lot of manual lookups for self-ripped and obscure titles. You're definitely right that it adds nice value to the collection, especially with sweet players like Remix.
    I think when I used Media Monkey, much of my collection already had the album art...it just worked some type of magic to have them embedded properly. Before the process, about 50% of my album art showed up. Afterwards, 99.9% showed up.

For really obscure songs, you'll probably have to search for your own album art. But once you go through the process and set up all your files, it's done.

Or maybe there's another album art downloader tool out there that works better... does anyone else know of any other ones?

19.    #219  
    Whoever wrote/designed the original WebOS Music Player should be embarrassed right about now.

The original Music Player (Remix) was a big upgrade from the built-in app when it was released, and I've used it exclusively ever since.

Over time, I started to become unhappy with it because all of the new and added features were slowing the interface down with each update, and it was getting to the point where I was about ready to give up all the extras and go back to the original.

Now this new version comes out, and it has officially made my Pre the best mp3 player I have ever owned. All the features that slowed it down are still there, but the thing is fast and smooth. No more interface lag.

No more lag or wierd blips when changing tracks.

The new and improved dashboard mode is FANTASTIC when I have my Pre on the touchstone in my car. It now completely makes up for the fact that I bought a cheap BT head-unit that doesn't display any information and depends on the player for all but the most basic controls.

When/if this app makes it's way into the official catalogue, I will GLADLY pay any reasonable price for it.

Kodus. Major kudos.
    Thanks! Much of the lag and weird behavior was fixed when I re-designed the screens. So in addition to create an improved interface, it allowed me to rip out the guts of the old app and start fresh.

20.    #220  
    I think that's a VERY wise choice. There are few (if any) apps that have this kind of multi-tier dashboard, so it is MUCH more reasonable to expect a person who doesn't like it to look for a way to dissable the extras than to expect the average user to go looking for a way to add more to it.
    I'm not aware of any other app that creates a multi-tier dashboard. And definitely, no other mobile OS can implement this type of mini-player available to the user at all times while running other apps. It really takes the concept of the modular music player design introduced in desktop applications like WinAmp and ports it over to mobile devices.