webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Homebrew Apps > Dr. Battery
Dr. Battery
Like Tree10Likes

Old 09/02/2012, 12:08 AM   #961 (permalink)

Calibrating the battery on my FrankenPre2 and plugged the power in when notified. Now it's been stuck on "do not disconnect battery" with the circle with the arrows for a few hours now. Is it locked up, or is this normal? it's been a long time since I've used this app.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2012, 12:15 AM   #962 (permalink)

Doesn't sound right. Do you mean the message "do not disconnect charger?" And what circle and what arrows?
You should have got the message "connect charger now" and then this message had to go away and the normal dr.battery calibration page with the LEARNF led switched on and some text don't disconnect charger.
Old 09/02/2012, 12:33 AM   #963 (permalink)

That's what I thought. I didn't think things were correct with that. I disconnected and pulled the battery. It's now 100%, so I'll let it run down and start the process again. I got the note telling me to 'connect charger now', but when I did it, the device looks like it restarted (or tried to) since it was showing that same gray circle that would have the rotating arrows - but it never actually restarted. Guess something didn't go quite right, so I'll do it again.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2012, 12:35 AM   #964 (permalink)

Thats what I thought. I know how difficult it is to connect the charger in time so that the device will not shutdown.
Never heard about the scenario you described.
Good luck then.
Thanked By: HelloNNNewman
Old 01/23/2013, 08:17 PM   #965 (permalink)

Hi Guys,

a few days ago, when I tried to recalibrate my 2 year old Palm battery, I encountered the popular problem with no solution. Dr Battery instructed me to connect the charger but only a few seconds after I did that, the calibration failed. Today I got the same error again with another battery but now I guess to know how to solve it.

The problem develops by the fluctuating current the device consumes. Every non-ideal power source adjusts its voltage to the current it needs to deliver. So if the current increases, the voltage decreases as reaction of the load and keeps decreasing until the battery is empty, even if the current keeps stable. Your phone battery also behaves that way but unfortunately the current, the phones takes, isn't stable. It alternates between 150mA and up to 650mA (Pre -) even if your doing nothing except waiting for Dr Battery to instruct you to connect the charger. The most of the time while waiting for the Dr, your phone takes about 150mA at a voltage of about 3,518V (empty battery!) which decreases slowly until it reaches the "empty point" indicated by the LEARNF-flag. But sometimes the current suddenly increases to 300mA and more which leads to the effect described above. As reaction to that gain in current, the voltage drops heavily and reaches the empty point which in turn will be recognized by the Maxim Fuel Gauge IC within the battery and handled by enabling the LEARNF-flag. Once this flag was set, Dr Battery orders you to connect the charger to start calibration. But the IC only stays in calibration mode as long as the voltage is stable and below the empty point, until you connect the charger and the voltage increases heavily at about 3,9V. If there is just a slight increase in voltage, the IC immediately leaves calibration mode, clears the LEARNF-flag and you get the interrupted calibration error in Dr Battery, which is exactly the reason why your calibration fails. Once the program told you to charge your device now, or even in the meantime, the phone slowly reduces its current consumption back to the normal 150mA. As reaction to that decrease in current the battery revives and increases its voltage above the empty point, which at last leads the IC to leave calibration mode. This effect also occurs if you don't follow Dr Battery's instruction to connect the charger and just wait to see what happens next. But you can avoid that problem by producing enough workload that the current increases heavily and keeps at a high level all the time until you're ordered to connect the charger. Just follow these instructions:

1.) Start Dr Battery and enter the calibration screen (DON'T close it during one of the following steps, just
minimize it to a card at step 3!)
2.) Discharge your device normally until it reaches 3,580V - 3,518V (Don't discharge it too long that way,
otherwise your device might turn off immediately when following the next steps!)
3.) Produce enough workload for example by activating the Mobile Hotspot. This will increase the current
consumption at about 600mA which is enough to lower battery's voltage below the empty point and keep it
there as long as the Hotspot is activated
4.) Switch back to Dr Battery immediately (Don't turn off the Hotspot!)
5.) Once the Dr instructs you to connect the charger do it.
6.) Wait until Dr Battery displays "calibrating" before you may disable the Hotspot to increase the charging
process
7.) Wait until the program displays calibration successful and you're done

Attention! Don't discharge your phone too long as described in step 2 as your device may shutdown only a few seconds after activating the hotspot if the voltage is already at a very low level when performing step 3. But don't follow step 3 too early as higher voltages result in an inaccurate calibration which leads to a battery health which is below the actual one.

I've tested the steps described above four times without removing the battery or restarting the device even a single time and it worked properly at every of that four attempts. Let me know if this also worked for you.

Greetings

Don_Marco
Don_Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Thanked By: Assimilator87
Old 01/30/2013, 11:41 AM   #966 (permalink)

Hey guys,

Is there another way to calibrate? I ran my original pre, with a supposed 2250mAh, until it shut off but it never went down to 3.413 to enter calibration. I've been searching this thread and google to try and find a solution but I have either overlooked it in the almost 50 pages of thread or I'm the only one with this problem.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
osmap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2013, 06:50 AM   #967 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmap View Post
Hey guys,

Is there another way to calibrate? I ran my original pre, with a supposed 2250mAh, until it shut off but it never went down to 3.413 to enter calibration. I've been searching this thread and google to try and find a solution but I have either overlooked it in the almost 50 pages of thread or I'm the only one with this problem.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
What battery do you have with that mAh?

Did you try the method above your post? My experience is that you sometimes have to try this many times before you get it "just right".

- Sent using Tapatalk
UncleVanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/23/2014, 10:12 AM   #968 (permalink)

To put a long story short, my Droid lost its challenge Vs. Petrol Station Concrete and I'm using my Pre again, which I'm happy to say, still has much support and many options

Now, I'd like to change the Manufacturer Rating and need the secret code to enable, can someone please send that to me, with any helpful and related info too?

Thank you
TheStigOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/23/2014, 07:25 PM   #969 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStigOnline View Post
To put a long story short, my Droid lost its challenge Vs. Petrol Station Concrete and I'm using my Pre again, which I'm happy to say, still has much support and many options

Now, I'd like to change the Manufacturer Rating and need the secret code to enable, can someone please send that to me, with any helpful and related info too?

Thank you
Do you mean the code to enable developer mode? Open the phone app and dial ##DEVMODE# and hit send.
Old 02/24/2014, 05:35 AM   #970 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
Do you mean the code to enable developer mode? Open the phone app and dial ##DEVMODE# and hit send.
No, I mean the specific code or process that will allow me to edit the Manufacturer Rating value in Dr. Battery, here is an example of the value from the first post of this thread:

Now, if dev mode will allow me to make this change or is part of the overall process, please advise?
Old 02/26/2014, 04:36 AM   #971 (permalink)

Quote:

Thank you
Quote:
No, I mean the specific code or process that will allow me to edit the Manufacturer Rating value in Dr. Battery, here is an example of the value from the first post of this thread:

Click to view quoted image

Now, if dev mode will allow me to make this change or is part of the overall process, please advise?

Does anyone have this code please?

"Success calls five times a day everyday, but people are too busy to answer the call because they are too busy trying to be successful."
Old 02/26/2014, 07:32 AM   #972 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

And you would like the code to calibrate your Pre's battery?
Old 02/26/2014, 09:01 AM   #973 (permalink)

Quote:

Thank you
What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Changing the rating will not increase the capacity, unless it was incorrectly rated at the factory at too small a number. In turn it also will not increase the health, or remaining capacity. If you think the health is not accurate, tap and hold the health and change to 100%, then re-calibrate the battery. Chances are it will end up the same or lower than it was in the first place due to aging of the battery.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/26/2014, 08:45 PM   #974 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Changing the rating will not increase the capacity, unless it was incorrectly rated at the factory at too small a number. In turn it also will not increase the health, or remaining capacity. If you think the health is not accurate, tap and hold the health and change to 100%, then re-calibrate the battery. Chances are it will end up the same or lower than it was in the first place due to aging of the battery.
I'm using a much newer 2400mAh battery from Japan, the rating is stuck on stock 1150mAh, so before this battey is calibrated, I need to update the capacity value

If I was still using the original battery, I would not be asking for the Dr. Battery secret code

Also, do you have this code and any related info that would help please?
Old 02/26/2014, 11:44 PM   #975 (permalink)

Sorry, I didn't even know about the secret code (or if I did, I long ago forgot ) until you posted about it, and I went back and read the first thread. I just wanted to be sure you If you contact somline he should be able to help you.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: somline
Old 02/27/2014, 09:42 AM   #976 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
And you would like the code to calibrate your Pre's battery?
Yes please
Old 02/27/2014, 09:51 AM   #977 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
Sorry, I didn't even know about the secret code (or if I did, I long ago forgot ) until you posted about it, and I went back and read the first thread. I just wanted to be sure you If you contact somline he should be able to help you.
No worries and*somline said in a previous post that people don't need to PM Him to get the code, as someone should be able to share the instructions, if we post a request on this thread, which I've done*

So I'll wait a couple of more days before sending*somline a PM
Thanked By: somline
Old 03/01/2014, 06:56 PM   #978 (permalink)

Sorry for some reasons I misted this posts. Here is the "secret":
n the health scene open and close the pages in the following order:

Help (on the left),
Info (on the right)
Change log (in the middle) and again
Info (on the rigth).

Then you should be able to tab and hold on the MFR.
Old 03/01/2014, 07:34 PM   #979 (permalink)

Quote:
No worries and*somline said in a previous post that people don't need to PM Him to get the code, as someone should be able to share the instructions, if we post a request on this thread, which I've done*

So I'll wait a couple of more days before sending*somline a PM
Thank you for reading this very long thread.
Old 03/02/2014, 07:59 AM   #980 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somline View Post
Sorry for some reasons I misted this posts. Here is the "secret":
n the health scene open and close the pages in the following order:

Help (on the left),
Info (on the right)
Change log (in the middle) and again
Info (on the rigth).

Then you should be able to tab and hold on the MFR.

Excellent, it worked and many thanks for this great app, as I use Dr. Battery to calibrate my original Palm battery, which ended up at 62% health, which told me its faulty

So I'm using an extended battery now and will calibrate that one, to find out exactly what its capacity is, hopefully it is somewhere around the 1800mAh mark at least

"Success calls five times a day everyday, but people are too busy to answer the call because they are too busy trying to be successful."

Tags
battery

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0