Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 323738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1.    #821  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Why is 'Batterysrv' still available for download if it is not required anymore. I ahve always been confused by this and keep doubting whether I need to download it or not.
    You are right. I will try do remove it from the feed. Thanks for suggestion.

EDIT: Hope you could keep your "old" one.
    EDIT2: Remember 50% is the lowest possible for the chip. So it may have less than that.
    EDIT3: Dr.BatterySrv is now removed from the feed. Thanks Dieter
    Last edited by somline; 04/21/2011 at 12:49 AM.
  2.    #822  
    Quote Originally Posted by lamar8910 View Post
    I just got a mugen 3800mAh battery that is only showing up as 3583 in dr battery. Once when charged it, the actual went up to 3822mAh before stopping. When I calibrate it, calibration stopped at 97% but the phone showed 100%. I would like to try changing the MFR to 3822 and recalibrate it to see if that helps. Can someone please send me the instructions on how to do this? Thanks
    Sorry had no time yesterday.

Interesting behavior. Code is send by PM.
    Please let us know about the results.

Good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Sorry had no time yesterday.

Interesting behavior. Code is send by PM.
    Please let us know about the results.

Good luck
    Thank you very much. I changed the MFR to 3800 and the battery calibrated and charges to about 3750 instead of 3500. I just have a few questions now about how this works. I know calibration doesn't "do" anything to the battery, but does changing the MFR( ie. If I put the battery in another phone will it register as 3800)? Secondly, the health showed 100% with both MFR and calculated left both at 3800 even though it only calibrated up to about 3750. Does changing the MFR make so that the health will not calculate properly anymore? Overall I am very happy with this Mugen battery, especially now that I am able to use it to it's full capacity thanks to Dr. Battery.
  4.    #824  
    Thank you very much. I changed the MFR to 3800 and the battery calibrated and charges to about 3750 instead of 3500. I just have a few questions now about how this works. I know calibration doesn't "do" anything to the battery, but does changing the MFR( ie. If I put the battery in another phone will it register as 3800)? Secondly, the health showed 100% with both MFR and calculated left both at 3800 even though it only calibrated up to about 3750. Does changing the MFR make so that the health will not calculate properly anymore? Overall I am very happy with this Mugen battery, especially now that I am able to use it to it's full capacity thanks to Dr. Battery.
    Thanks you for detailed response.
    Calibration actual is doing something to the battery but not by Dr.Battery ;-)

The calibration is a function inside the chip of the battery. If you can get into this function (also called learn mode) and get it until a successful end the chip calculates the health to the correct value.
    Dr.Battery lets you get the chip in that mode.

Since these values are stored in the battery (chip) you can exchange the battery and the values stick.
    Don't pay to much attention to the "Capa" or "Capacity" value in the calibrate or health scene while charging. These values are known to be not very precise.
    If the chip calculated the health to 100% you are a lucky man.

Nothing else than the MFR (by you) and the health (by the chip) are changed in the battery.
    The battery will work as before (but now with the correct values) and the health will get reduced by the time.

Thanks for that story.

EDIT: If your battery wouldn't have 3800mAh the chip had calculated the health to a lower number to reflect the real capacity. The only possibility that this value is not correct would be a false programmed chip by the manufacturer.
    Last edited by somline; 04/27/2011 at 02:04 AM.
    I recently grabbed a Verizon Pre2. I can't seem to get Dr.Battery to work as it did for my Pre+

As soon as it is connected to power after being discharged, Dr Battery gives me a failure message. What can I do to troubleshoot this or work around the issue? Thanks!
  6.    #826  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I recently grabbed a Verizon Pre2. I can't seem to get Dr.Battery to work as it did for my Pre+

As soon as it is connected to power after being discharged, Dr Battery gives me a failure message. What can I do to troubleshoot this or work around the issue? Thanks!
    If I remember correctly I calibrated with pre2 once. I will try it again in the next days to test.

When will the calibration stop:
    From the manual
    LEARNF—Learn Flag.
    LEARNF indicates that the current charge cycle can be used to learn the battery capacity.
    LEARNF is set when the active-empty point is detected. This occurs when the voltage register value drops below the VAE threshold AND the two previous current register values were negative and greater in magnitude than the IAE threshold.
    See the Active-Empty Point Detect section for additional information.
    LEARNF is cleared when any of the following occur:
    1) Learn cycle completes (CHGTF set).
    2) Current register value becomes negative indicating discharge current flow.
    3) ACR = 0
    4) ACR value is written or recalled from EEPROM.
    5) Sleep mode is entered.

ACR: Current measurements are internally summed, or accumulated, at the completion of each conversion period and the results are stored in the ACR.
    for 3 and 4) Dr.Battery is not changing the ACR.
    for 5) To prevent sleep mode the calibration scene keeps the device awake.

Conclusion:
    I think its number 2. Try disabling everything that is possible:
    Turn on airplane mode.
    Use the original wall charger and usb cable.
    Try switching off everything running in background (e.g. netstat)
    We have reports and I had the same that pulling the battery once repaired it.
    I don't know why this has helped.

EDIT: For trouble shooting:
    Is the LEARNF cleared after the error?
    Could you see a negative current shortly before the error?
    Last edited by somline; 04/27/2011 at 02:07 AM.
  7.    #827  
    @Cantaffordit
    Sorry I edited my post with trouble shooting questions. Can you answer these?
    Thanks you for detailed response.
    Calibration actual is doing something to the battery but not by Dr.Battery ;-)

The calibration is a function inside the chip of the battery. If you can get into this function (also called learn mode) and get it until a successful end the chip calculates the health to the correct value.
    Dr.Battery lets you get the chip in that mode.

Since these values are stored in the battery (chip) you can exchange the battery and the values stick.
    Don't pay to much attention to the "Capa" or "Capacity" value in the calibrate or health scene while charging. These values are known to be not very precise.
    If the chip calculated the health to 100% you are a lucky man.

Nothing else than the MFR (by you) and the health (by the chip) are changed in the battery.
    The battery will work as before (but now with the correct values) and the health will get reduced by the time.

Thanks for that story.

EDIT: If your battery wouldn't have 3800mAh the chip had calculated the health to a lower number to reflect the real capacity. The only possibility that this value is not correct would be a false programmed chip by the manufacturer.
    Thanks for the explanation. I am having a slight problem though. I changed the MFR to 3800, and like I said, the phone calibrated up to about 3750. In order to make the percent even more accurate, I changed the MFR again to 3750. However, when I went to calibrate it last night, I found the phone this morning with the calibration unfinished even though it said it had charged to over 4200. What does this mean? Is this normal or is there something wrong with the battery? What is your suggestion that I should do? Should just try to calibrate again hope it stops at the right place. Will it destroy the battery if it keeps overcharging? It randomly overcharged once before to 3800 when the MFR was set at 3580. Thanks for your help.
    However, when I went to calibrate it last night, I found the phone this morning with the calibration unfinished even though it said it had charged to over 4200. What does this mean?.
    It means that you're just about to kiss your battery goodbye.
    Welcome to the club. You just overcharged it.

Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
  10.    #830  
    Thanks for the explanation. I am having a slight problem though. I changed the MFR to 3800, and like I said, the phone calibrated up to about 3750. In order to make the percent even more accurate, I changed the MFR again to 3750. However, when I went to calibrate it last night, I found the phone this morning with the calibration unfinished even though it said it had charged to over 4200. What does this mean? Is this normal or is there something wrong with the battery? What is your suggestion that I should do? Should just try to calibrate again hope it stops at the right place. Will it destroy the battery if it keeps overcharging? It randomly overcharged once before to 3800 when the MFR was set at 3580. Thanks for your help.
    I would leave it as it was with 3800. As I said. If you set it to e.g. 5000mAh the health would be corrected to a value that would result in a capacity of 3800.

The overcharge is protected by the chip and webOS.

Before you set the MFR to 3800 you couldn't calibrate because webOS stopped the charge by thinking it will overcharge because MFR was set to 3583. Therefore webOS thought that the battery was full where it wasn't.
    The battery has also an overcharge protection independently of webOS. It measures the current while charging.

LiIon batteries have a charging curve where the current will get reduced depending of the charge. It starts with e.g. 600-700mAh and will get reduced.
    When the current goes below around 50mA the battery is considered full.

What ever:
    The health value is irrelevant (except it's lower than actual). Calculated left is the value you are looking for.
    As said: You can set MFR to 5000mAh. The health will get (after calibration) set to e.g.: 70% to get 3800mAh real (calculated left).

I have a lot of different batteries and not one with 100%. Don't calibrate to often since these batteries don't like so many complete drains.
    You have a very nice battery. Set that monster back to 3800 and be happy.

There are a lot of infos about LiIon batteries on the web if you are interested.

EDIT: As always: This is true only for chips that are programmed correctly by the manufacturer.
    Last edited by somline; 04/28/2011 at 02:03 PM.
  11.    #831  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    It means that you're just about to kiss your battery goodbye.
    Welcome to the club. You just overcharged it.

I don't hope that this true because there are two independent overcharge protections. NuttyBunny disabled one of them by changing a setting in the powerd.conf file in the testing phase of dr.b (thanks for taking the risk).
    But if it's true the manufacturer has false programmed the chip.
    I don't expect that mugen will do so.
    Last edited by somline; 04/28/2011 at 02:25 PM.
    I don't except (expect) that mugen will do so.

Meaning:

You don't expect Mugen to have programed the "false"?
    or
    You don't expect the Mugen to melt?

M.
  13.    #833  
    Maybe my english should get an refreshment.
    I don't think that mugen will program the chip in a wrong way ;-)
    NuttyBunny was using a cheap chines battery. I Have a cheap (don't know where coming from) battery and it's crap.

EDIT: Thanks for correcting my friend. Corrected my post.
    Maybe my english should get an refreshment.
    I don't think that mugen will program the chip in a wrong way ;-)
    NuttyBunny was using a cheap chines battery. I Have a cheap (don't know where coming from) battery and it's crap.

You're English is fine! Stop worrying! We get what you're saying and that's what's important.

Aside, I was just not sure which part of your statement you were referring to, that's all.

M.
  15.    #835  
    EDIT2: I'm totally addicted to the spell check of my mac.
    EDIT2: I'm totally addicted to the spell check of my mac.

Clicking is for whimps.

Code:
    $ cat post.txt | hunspell

Hunspell 1.2.11
    + click
    & whimps 9 16: whims, whips, wimps, chimps, whim's, whimpers, whimper, whimmed, whim

$
    Oops. I mean:

Clicking is for wimps.

M.
  17.    #837  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Clicking is for whimps.

Code:
    $ cat post.txt | hunspell

Hunspell 1.2.11
    + click
    & whimps 9 16: whims, whips, wimps, chimps, whim's, whimpers, whimper, whimmed, whim

$
    Oops. I mean:

Clicking is for wimps.

M.
    Code:
    somline:~ somline$ cat post.txt | hunspell
    -bash: hunspell: command not found
    cat: post.txt: No such file or directory
    somline:~ somline$
    Thanks, that has helped ;-)
    I don't hope that this true because there are two independent overcharge protections. NuttyBunny disabled one of them by changing a setting in the powerd.conf file in the testing phase of dr.b (thanks for taking the risk).
    But if it's true the manufacturer has false programmed the chip.
    I don't expect that mugen will do so.
    Just trying to add some suspense here, sorry

Yes, I disabled Palm's overcharge protection. Don't, please don't do that
    I won't even tell you where to mess around with it
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
  19.    #839  
    If I remember correctly I calibrated with pre2 once. I will try it again in the next days to test.
    Calibrated successful an oem palm battery on the first try with my pre2.
    sqlite> select timestamp,percent,temp,learnf,chgtf from sys_statistic s,battery_statistic b where s.id=b.sys_statistic_id;
    2011-04-28 19:42:57|0|30|0|0
    2011-04-28 19:43:58|0|30|1|0
    2011-04-28 22:12:22|100|31|1|0
    2011-04-28 22:13:24|100|31|0|1
    It took 2 1/2 hours.
    Last edited by somline; 04/29/2011 at 12:22 AM.
    @Cantaffordit
    Sorry I edited my post with trouble shooting questions. Can you answer these?
    Thanks. I just noticed these questions. I'll let me phone run down and see what happens.

Thanks!