Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 29343536373839404142434449 ... LastLast
Results 761 to 780 of 981
Like Tree11Likes
  1. #761  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    <<thread cleaned>>
    Folks, please watch your language, and do not attack each other. Talk about phones and technology, not people or the horse they rode in on.

    Thank you.
    I didn't ride in on a horse...in fact, I never got a pony as a child...thanks for bringing back a flood of awful memories Just kidding...although my parents never bought me a pony, they did hire the tiny 4 person merry go round for my birthday one year!

    Despite all that, and my warped psyche, I agree. People should think...a lot...before they type. Perhaps we are all suffering from the twittering nature of communication these days. There is a lot to be said for a 'thoughtful and reasoned response', which seems to be missing all too often today.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

    I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

  2. ronnatki's Avatar
    Posts
    82 Posts
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    #762  
    ok...i got a battery on amazon for 4 buck and change. I checked it on the dr battery and it said battery health 95% then I calibrated it only to see it drop to 79%. Lame. LAME. I mean it's better than my previous one but still. Also....why can I not open links in precentral app? Like in a thread someone will post a link...and I try to open and it will not.
  3. #763  
    I got mine $2.94 Amazon in the mail four days ago. It was 100%. I calibrated it and it still is 100%.
    Yesterday flew to Sacramento from the OC and although it was in airplane mode for two hours 20 minutes total, I made it from 6am (off the charger) to 9pm without a charge, impressive for me. And that was using it. Govenor 125/1000

    I would try recalibrating it.
  4. #764  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnatki View Post
    ok...i got a battery on amazon for 4 buck and change. I checked it on the dr battery and it said battery health 95% then I calibrated it only to see it drop to 79%. Lame. LAME. I mean it's better than my previous one but still. Also....why can I not open links in precentral app? Like in a thread someone will post a link...and I try to open and it will not.
    Are those numbers "capacity" or charge level.

    drBattery is extremely accurate because it is simply reporting what the battery is telling the phone. The purpose of reconditioning is to get the capacity the battery reports to the phone to be the same as what the capacity actually is. This becomes more valuable as a battery gets older.
  5.    #765  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnatki View Post
    ok...i got a battery on amazon for 4 buck and change. I checked it on the dr battery and it said battery health 95% then I calibrated it only to see it drop to 79%. Lame. LAME. I mean it's better than my previous one but still.
    There is a chip inside the battery responsible for measuring and estimating the rest capacity (because batteries loose capacity over time). It also has a function to measure the actual capacity (calibration or learning).
    If you like you may read the manual of the chip (PDF).

    All Dr.B is doing is using this information/functions. There is an interface to registers of this chip provided by the linux kernel.
    Dr.B reads all values from these registers.

    So the answer is: Dr.B is so accurate as the chip is.

    EDIT: And the calibration is done only by this chip. Dr.B only helps to get it done.
    EDIT2: Make sure to do the 3-5 initial full charge circles as recommended by the manufacturers. The capacity may get higher after that.
    Set health back to 95% or 100%, do the 3-5 circles and calibrate again after.
    Last edited by somline; 01/22/2011 at 03:51 AM.
  6. #766  
    <<thread merged>>
  7. tomas472's Avatar
    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    #767  
    OEM battery I got through Amazon for about $6 was 100% and slightly over rated capacity.

    Been through numerous cycles now, and still working well with health at 98% according to Dr. Battery.

    "NEW OEM Palm Pre Pixi Standard Original OEM Battery Palm Pre" $5.89 Sold by: alwayz-on-sale
  8. ronnatki's Avatar
    Posts
    82 Posts
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    #768  
    I asked the general population and who ever was kind enough to answer me.....how accurate is dr. Battery. Due to the fact that I bought a "brand new" battery on amazon and I used dr. Battery and it jump from 95% to 70 something %. Can someone that uses dr. Battery often plz help....and not redirect me to the dr. Battery thread....if I get sent back there.....must be for good reason....
  9. ronnatki's Avatar
    Posts
    82 Posts
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    #769  
    ok...sorry somline..i read the post after it was moved...i apologize.....im sorry.....but!!! How do you do the 3 full cycle charges or battery conditioning or what ever it's called???
  10.    #770  
    From mugen:
    For the first 4-5 charges, please charge the battery in the device for 8-12 hours using the mains power adapter. (Important: For first 4-5 charges you should charge the battery for 8-12 hours, even if your phone is showing it is fully charged already!).
    After each charge, please use the device as normal, until the device tells you the battery is very low, then recharge
    Other manufacturers hav some similar advice.

    BTW: If you have ask this in the Dr.Battery thread I would have become an email.
    I found this thread by accident. Even the title is not saying much.
    Last edited by somline; 01/23/2011 at 04:11 AM.
  11. #771  
    Que the old Guiness commercials where the weird guys say "Brilliant!"

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums


    My Themes:CLICK HERE
  12. #772  
    Finally got it to run on my phone last night. It calibrated successfully, but I don't know exactly what that means. The health dropped from 93% to 66%, so I guess that's part of it. However, when I checked my phone this morning it said it had 97% battery remaining and Dr. Battery said it had 93%. Is the calibration supposed to fix that so the phone gives an accurate reading? We'll see later today if the rapid drop from 20% is fixed.
  13. #773  
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Finally got it to run on my phone last night. It calibrated successfully, but I don't know exactly what that means. The health dropped from 93% to 66%, so I guess that's part of it. However, when I checked my phone this morning it said it had 97% battery remaining and Dr. Battery said it had 93%. Is the calibration supposed to fix that so the phone gives an accurate reading? We'll see later today if the rapid drop from 20% is fixed.

    First, Dr. Battery reads exactly what the battery is reporting. Palm displays an "adjusted" battery life remaining, not the *actual*. That is why you see a difference in the two numbers.

    Without knowing anything about your battery (which one you have and it's capacity) I'll have to assume the Palm stock battery which is an 1150mAh battery. Yours has only 759mAh max available capacity (1150*.66) now after however long it's been since it was made. Battery life degradation is very normal and to be expected.

    You're about to ask/say/exclaim: "Dr. Battery screwed up my battery! It was fine before I installed this stupid app! What's up with that?!? If I didn't live in (insert location), I'd hunt you down!"

    No, it was not fine, evidently. It seems it's never calibrated itself. You probably never got the battery down low enough for its internal calibration mode to be activated (as Dr. Battery *SHOWS* to you - more on that in a second). Calibration happens IN THE BATTERY ITSELF. It has exactly nothing to do with your phone. You probably never let the battery get down low enough and plugged it in at the exact moment you need to. That is not humanly possible which is why somline wrote this app - so I lowly humans can know what the battery is trying to tell us. I'm also willing to bet that it did what "we" call The Death Drop. In your case, your battery life would suddenly go from around 34% to 0% then shut off in a matter of seconds.

    As far as Dr. Battery goes, it *DOES* nothing to your battery/phone. It only *REPORTS* to the screen what the battery is "naturally" doing. Your battery wasn't being properly conditioned (probably no real fault of your own - you're only human, I assume ). Now that it is properly calibrated, you can actually trust the % remaining number to be what is really left.

    My advice: Get a new battery now. The Mugen 1400mAh batteries are getting cheaper and last pretty long. Do not buy the Seidio 1350mAh. They are junk and are NOT 1350mAh batteries. They are only 1150mAh (same as Palm Stock batteries).


    M.
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 01/28/2011 at 09:26 AM. Reason: typos/clarification
  14. #774  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    First, Dr. Battery reads exactly what the battery is reporting. Palm displays an "adjusted" battery life remaining, not the *actual*. That is why you see a difference in the two numbers.

    Without knowing anything about your battery (which one you have and it's capacity) I'll have to assume the Palm stock battery which is an 1150mAh battery. Yours has only 759mAh max available capacity (1150*.66) now after however long it's been since it was made. Battery life degradation is very normal and to be expected.

    You're about to ask/say/exclaim: "Dr. Battery screwed up my battery! It was fine before I installed this stupid app! What's up with that?!? If I didn't live in (insert location), I'd hunt you down!"

    No, it was not fine, evidently. It seems it's never calibrated itself. You probably never got the battery down low enough for its internal calibration mode to be activated (as Dr. Battery *SHOWS* to you - more on that in a second). Calibration happens IN THE BATTERY ITSELF. It has exactly nothing to do with your phone. You probably never let the battery get down low enough and plugged it in at the exact moment you need to. That is not humanly possible which is why somline wrote this app - so I lowly humans can know what the battery is trying to tell us. I'm also willing to bet that it did what "we" call The Death Drop. In your case, your battery life would suddenly go from around 34% to 0% then shut off in a matter of seconds.

    As far as Dr. Battery goes, it *DOES* nothing to your battery/phone. It only *REPORTS* to the screen what the battery is "naturally" doing. Your battery wasn't being properly conditioned (probably no real fault of your own - you're only human, I assume ). Now that it is properly calibrated, you can actually trust the % remaining number to be what is really left.

    My advice: Get a new battery now. The Mugen 1400mAh batteries are getting cheaper and last pretty long. Do not buy the Seidio 1350mAh. They are junk and are NOT 1350mAh batteries. They are only 1150mAh (same as Palm Stock batteries).


    M.
    No, I know that Dr. Battery didn't screw up my battery at all.

    Can you reconcile these two statments you made though?

    "Palm displays an "adjusted" battery life remaining, not the *actual*. That is why you see a difference in the two numbers"

    and

    "Now that it is properly calibrated, you can actually trust the % remaining number to be what is really left."

    So, can I trust what the little battery icon in the top bar says or not? I'm assuming not, since Dr. Battery is still reading 4-5% lower than what the top bar percentage says.
  15. #775  
    If it's going to be off by 4-5%, then that's fine. Just as long as I don't get the "death drop" anymore.
  16. #776  
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    No, I know that Dr. Battery didn't screw up my battery at all.

    Can you reconcile these two statments you made though?

    "Palm displays an "adjusted" battery life remaining, not the *actual*. That is why you see a difference in the two numbers"

    and

    "Now that it is properly calibrated, you can actually trust the % remaining number to be what is really left."

    So, can I trust what the little battery icon in the top bar says or not? I'm assuming not, since Dr. Battery is still reading 4-5% lower than what the top bar percentage says.

    Yeah, I should've expanded on that...

    Palm's *display* of % remaining "smooths out" the actual drop. By this I mean, these battries generally go through the first 10% (100% --> 90%) in no time. The discharge also isn't very linier in general. It's a bit like a roller coaster. You could watch that with Dr. Battery. Palm's support lines would be ringing off the hook if that was actually displays to us Users. Everyone would think there's something wrong with the battery. Palm "smooths" the *display* of the %.

    By "trust that number", yes. Either one is (now) accurate. Palm's just isn't as *exact* as the actual % the battery itself reports.

    And yes, it won't (shouldn't) do The Death Drop anymore (which factors into the trusting of the number)!


    M.
  17.    #777  
    Thanks Xanadu, I think your answer was a little "loud".
    Fortunately only a few complained about Dr.Battery ;-)

    So Xanadu already answered the questions:
    In short:
    1. The % in the top right is not showing the exact % for some reasons. There is a patch available witch will take care of that: "show actual battery percent" in preware.
    This is only cosmetically. Internally the device is using the voltage to find the point where a shutdown is necessary.
    2.Your battery is pretty bad. You should consider to buy a new one (<5$ on Amazon) or mugen as Xanadu suggested
    3. But your dead drop is gone now.
    Last edited by somline; 01/28/2011 at 10:55 AM.
  18. ght
    ght is offline
    ght's Avatar
    Posts
    772 Posts
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    #778  
    I think there is a patch in Preware to have the top bar display actual battery percent.
  19.    #779  
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Finally got it to run on my phone last night.
    One more:
    Assuming you used the new version 0.1.3: Do you think the new version improved the calibration so it has not shutdown to early?
  20. #780  
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Thanks Xanadu, I think your answer was a little "loud".
    Fortunately only a few complained about Dr.Battery ;-)
    Yeah, I guess so, but it grabbed people's attention and put a little humor into a pretty dry subject!


    M.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions