Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 26313233343536373839404146 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1.    #701  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahatma Ganja View Post
    Hi

i bought a new battery at ebay, can i simply replace the old one, or do I have to reset Dr. Battery, or Something?

thx
    All infos are stored in the battery. You can replace it without doing any special.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahatma Ganja View Post
    Hi

i bought a new battery at ebay, can i simply replace the old one, or do I have to reset Dr. Battery, or Something?

thx
    It would be a Good Idea to calibrate it so you know that the percentage the phone is showing is correct. Like a used car, you don't know what the previous owner did to it.

Just keep in mind: sometimes the truth hurts.

M.
    good idea! thank you!
  4.    #704  
    Reviewing the sources (working on new version) I stumbled on what capacity Dr.Battery displays:
    Dr.Battery displays the capacity to the active-empty point (near the shutdown of the device)
    Code:
    Remaining Active Absolute Capacity (RAAC) [mAh]
     RAAC reports the remaining battery capacity available under the current 
    temperature conditions to the active-empty point in absolute units of 
    milliamp-hours
    That means you see the capacity until webOS shutsdown.
    This will be less than the absolute capacity of the battery.

I did this because I think this is the capacity value we are interested on.
    Leave a comment if you think that's wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Reviewing the sources (working on new version) I stumbled on what capacity Dr.Battery displays:
    Dr.Battery displays the capacity to the active-empty point (near the shutdown of the device)
    Code:
    Remaining Active Absolute Capacity (RAAC) [mAh]
     RAAC reports the remaining battery capacity available under the current 
    temperature conditions to the active-empty point in absolute units of 
    milliamp-hours
    That means you see the capacity until webOS shutsdown.
    This will be less than the absolute capacity of the battery.

I did this because I think this is the capacity value we are interested on.
    Leave a comment if you think that's wrong.

Hmmm... Maybe I'm slightly confused then.

If Dr. Battery is currently showing us the remaining mAh until battery death, and the RAAC is the mAh remaining until the webOS shuts itself down, wouldn't they both be important? We'd know when the phone would shutdown (good!) in relation to when the battery will totally die (bad!).

Will Dr.Battery be able to better "predict" how much life is left in a battery if it only cares about the RAAC and not the battery death capacity?

M.
  6.    #706  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Hmmm... Maybe I'm slightly confused then.

If Dr. Battery is currently showing us the remaining mAh until battery death, and the RAAC is the mAh remaining until the webOS shuts itself down, wouldn't they both be important? We'd know when the phone would shutdown (good!) in relation to when the battery will totally die (bad!).

Will Dr.Battery be able to better "predict" how much life is left in a battery if it only cares about the RAAC and not the battery death capacity?

M.
    Calibrating starts at the active empty point = when raac=0%.
    EDIT: More precisely: raac gets set to 0% when learning starts.
    So the absolute capacity don't count here and Dr.Battery don't "predict" battery life. It's done automatically by the chip inside the battery and the app just displays it..

The only point where the unused capacity below raac could count is what is stamped on the battery (I think they stamp the absolute capacity on it).

Sorry for confusing. Just saw that palm is using the same for "getcoulomb".

EDIT: One more: This has no influence on any other value (health, voltage ..etc)
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Calibrating starts at the active empty point = when raac=0%.
    EDIT: More precisely: raac gets set to 0% when learning starts.

The only point where the unused capacity below raac could count is what is stamped on the battery (I think they stamp the absolute capacity on it).

EDIT: One more: This has no influence on any other value (health, voltage ..etc)

OK. I was confusing myself, it seems.

I would then agree that the RAAC is the value to care about. What the manufactures stamp on the battery is worthless when the OS doesn't even care about that and only cares about the capacity it can actually use.

M.
  8.    #708  
    Thanks again for helping out. Seems our other battery hackers, from the beginning, are celebrating holidays ;-)
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Checked battery health a couple of days ago, it was 95%, couple of days later its 91%, is this normal?
  10.    #710  
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamer3kx View Post
    Checked battery health a couple of days ago, it was 95%, couple of days later its 91%, is this normal?
    As posted often before: Calibration is done by the chip, not Dr.Battery.
    I had the same with a cheap battery.
    It's either a glitch in the calibration process or your battery has indeed lost 4%.
    Am I the only person that cannot seem to have their Voltage drop? It just stays at 3.909 no matter what.
  12.    #712  
    Quote Originally Posted by ProParkour View Post
    Am I the only person that cannot seem to have their Voltage drop? It just stays at 3.909 no matter what.
    Yes you seem to be the only one. Never heard such thing.
    Does it stay there even while charging?
    I would try a battery pull (after shutdown ;-). If it doesn't help your battery (chip) seems to be defective.
    i bought recently the Mugen 1400 battery for pre and it works fine but i was curious to try dr. battery and check the real capacity of the battery. after a successful calibration, it showed 1402 remaining capacity.. but it never charges more than 1360! any ideas?
  14.    #714  
    Quote Originally Posted by osahum View Post
    i bought recently the Mugen 1400 battery for pre and it works fine but i was curious to try dr. battery and check the real capacity of the battery. after a successful calibration, it showed 1402 remaining capacity.. but it never charges more than 1360! any ideas?
    The only real measured value in the chip is the voltage.
    The current is measured through the voltage and a resistor. They use cheap resistors and the resistance needs to be adjusted by a calibrated value (bias).
    The capacity is calculated by using the changes in current and voltage.
    That means, that the capacity is not very accurate when the battery is only partial drained and charged.
    EDIT: And the only value that counts for the device is the voltage. If below 3.4V webOS shutsdown, regardless of the capacity reading.
    The only way to exactly measure the capacity is by charging from 0% to 100%.
    Long story short:
    1402 is a fantastic value. Don't care about the 1360 since it's not accurate.

EDIT: BTW: Mugen confirmed, that draining to 0% will not harm the battery, since 0% doesn't mean the battery is totally empty. It just hasn't enough power to drive the device.
    Last edited by somline; 01/08/2011 at 10:59 PM.
  15.    #715  
    Update on Dr.Battery on webOS 2.x:
    Since some changes Dr.Battery service crashes when trying to change values in the battery.
    That means you get an error msg opening the calibrate scene, setting health or the start voltage.
    You probably will get problems to enter calibration, since the start voltage is not altered and webOS may shutdown before calibration starts.

I already have an updated version running on all known webOS version. After more testings I will submit it.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ProParkour View Post
    Same issue here, i charged it all the way, took the battery out, and then waited for it to drain. The percentage went all the way down to 0%, but from the high of 4.135 the lowest the voltage got was 3.625 (on a random drop, otherwise it hovered at 3.640-3.650). I even tried taking the battery out and restarting it as the battery drained during the lower percentages <20%.

What could be the reason for this?
  17.    #717  
    What battery are you using?
    What is the latest voltage reading before shutdown?
    My tests have proofed, that webOS only cares about the voltage. I would be very surprised if webOS shutsdown on Voltages > 3.4V
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I'm using the stock battery i got with my day-one pre which was at 98% health when i checked it. This seemed odd for an 18 month old battery which is why i wanted to try the calibration. I recharged it some for it to turn back on and am now waiting for it to die again. I have gotten the voltage now to droop ONCE to 3.563 but only briefly before returning to the >3.6 range. Although, now it is at 4% with a 3.609 voltage.
  19.    #719  
    Please be patient. Even at 0% it can take it's time until the voltage is reached.
    But if you have so much volt at that percentage sounds like a healthy battery ;-)
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Sounds like a good explanation to me! haha
    I was just concerned about an 18 month old battery lasting so long, but I will wait this out and see what it does, thanks!

EDIT: Yes, I had to wait until it was EXACTLY at 0%. Note to others, if your phone turns off without reaching the proper voltage, plug it in just until it turns on, then unplug it and wait from there. This helped lower my voltage a little and allowed the battery to drain to 0%.
    Last edited by snpalavan; 01/09/2011 at 12:58 PM.