Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 23282930313233343536373843 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
    Thanks guys...I finally got the phone to boot this morning. I will try a calibration again later today.
  2.    #642  
    @all:
    We now have the confirmation from Mugen, that calibration (drain to 0%) is safe (if you don't do it to often)
    http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...=1#post2757047
    Any other tips on getting this Mugen to calibrate? I have tried airplane mode, raising the voltage, resetting the health. Most of the time the calibration fails right away, but once it went for 10 or so minutes then failed.

Is there a manual command line tool to do this at the linux level? Seems like it just needs to be in learn mode while it charges back up in order to calibrate.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  4.    #644  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Is there a manual command line tool to do this at the linux level? Seems like it just needs to be in learn mode while it charges back up in order to calibrate.
    I know about your problem but have no answer. The calibrating process is very easy:
    1. At a particular voltage the battery chip enters leanmode (learnflag set)
    2. At that point you need to charge
    3. The charge must not be interrupted until the charg termination flag is set.
    4. The Chip adjusts the health

All is done by the chip. Dr.Battery is only the monitor to all this (and makes it easier to get into learnmode without shutdown by manipulating the learn starting voltage)

in our beginning of analyzing the calibration process, I had problems to get the battery into calibrate without shutdown. I managed to get it by renaming the shutdown executable:
    mv /sbin/shutdown /sbin/shutdown.disable

This could help you to prevent the device from shutting down.
    But your problem that it fails after 10min will not be solved by this.
    This problem means that the chip inside the battery decides to clear the learnflag, which will usually be the case when the charge gets interrupted (even for a second).
    Did you use the original USB cable on the orig. wall charger?
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    I know about your problem but have no answer. The calibrating process is very easy:
    1. At a particular voltage the battery chip enters leanmode (learnflag set)
    2. At that point you need to charge
    3. The charge must not be interrupted until the charg termination flag is set.
    4. The Chip adjusts the health

All is done by the chip. Dr.Battery is only the monitor to all this (and makes it easier to get into learnmode without shutdown by manipulating the learn starting voltage)

in our beginning of analyzing the calibration process, I had problems to get the battery into calibrate without shutdown. I managed to get it by renaming the shutdown executable:
    mv /sbin/shutdown /sbin/shutdown.disable

This could help you to prevent the device from shutting down.
    But your problem that it fails after 10min will not be solved by this.
    This problem means that the chip inside the battery decides to clear the learnflag, which will usually be the case when the charge gets interrupted (even for a second).
    Did you use the original USB cable on the orig. wall charger?
    Yeah I have tried the Touchstone and the OEM wall charger directly with the same results. Can I use my wife's Pixi for this? If I calibrate using the Pixi then put the battery in my Pre Plus all should be good right?

Thanks for the help.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  6.    #646  
    Can I use my wife's Pixi for this? If I calibrate using the Pixi then put the battery in my Pre Plus all should be good right?
    yes and good luck.
    Been using my Pixi with a battery which, after using this app last night (thanks somline!), had an indicated health of 54%. Had a feeling it was bad... I could pull it off because I have various Touchstones and USB chargers strategically placed all over this city.

I have a second battery, the original that came with my phone, and am currently calibrating. This one will be better, but probably still poor.

I ordered a new one off Amazon... They are going for $4.90 now, with free shipping.

Why is the life of these batteries so poor? This doesn't seem typical.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Got a new battery from Amazon as well and should be here any day.
    Should I calibrate a new battery?
    Also, seeing that the Mugen battery recommends charging your battery for 12 hours and running it down 5 times would this be recommended for a new stock 1150 battery as well for peak performance?
    Everybody wants some!..
    yes and good luck.
    Didn't work. Same problem. I think the battery is bad.

The stock battery lasts so much longer than the Mugen it has to be bad.
  10.    #650  
    Didn't work. Same problem. I think the battery is bad.
    Sorry to hear that. Some have this problem.
    I'm wondering if some batteries don't like to get calibrated?
  11.    #651  
    Regarding webOS 2.x: There seems to be a bug in Dr.Battery.
    When switching scenes you get this error:
    http://twitpic.com/37oe1c

Thanks to Mechanical_Mind
    I'll fix it as soon I have webOS 2.x
    Regarding webOS 2.x: There seems to be a bug in Dr.Battery.
    When switching scenes you get this error:
    [url]

Thanks to Mechanical_Mind
    I'll fix it as soon I have webOS 2.x

If your service is a Java service, that would be the problem. If I'm reading all the news about webOS 2.x correctly, Java won't exist anymore and all system services have to be re-written in C (C++ ?).

M.
  13.    #653  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    If your service is a Java service, that would be the problem. If I'm reading all the news about webOS 2.x correctly, Java won't exist anymore and all system services have to be re-written in C (C++ ?).
    Thanks Xanadu,
    it's already a C-Service and the app actually works on 2.x.
    It just gives this error when switching scenes.
    Thanks Xanadu,
    it's already a C-Service and the app actually works on 2.x.
    It just gives this error when switching scenes.

Ah... well, then, I'll just keep my mouth shut... :-)

M.
  15.    #655  
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    Got a new battery from Amazon as well and should be here any day.
    Should I calibrate a new battery?
    Also, seeing that the Mugen battery recommends charging your battery for 12 hours and running it down 5 times would this be recommended for a new stock 1150 battery as well for peak performance?
    It seems I have overseen your post ;-(
    You don't need to calibrate a new battery but it will prove the advertised capacity.
    I don't know if the 12 hour training will help a stock one but it probably will not harm.
    it is great tat battery can be calibrated this way..great one!
    I started a calibration on the still original battery in my release day Sprint Pre last night. Calibration failed at first, but I followed the suggestions at got it working after a bit. Went to sleep. This morning I look at the Health screen and it says:

77%
    Manufacturer Rating: 1183 mAh
    Calculated Left: 911 mAh

I've suspected that it's been losing more capacity recently. I was able to drain the battery last night from 100% to nothing in about 4 - 5 hours of normal WiFi use (Twitter, web surfing, etc.) This Dr. Battery result appears to confirm my beliefs.

I wonder if I should get another battery, or if I should limp along with this one until the next Sprint webOS device comes (whenever that is).
    Last edited by SilvrDrgn; 12/02/2010 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Update
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    How long does calibration take? Does the battery need to charge to 100% for the battery to be fully calibrated?

If so, can I charge whilst on Airplane mode to complete calibration faster?
  19.    #659  
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenX View Post
    How long does calibration take? Does the battery need to charge to 100% for the battery to be fully calibrated?

If so, can I charge whilst on Airplane mode to complete calibration faster?
    It needs the time until you get to 0% to enter calibration mode and then as long it takes to 100%. Depending on the capacity of your battery it take 1+ hours.
    It needs to charge untill 100% uninterrupted.
    I don't think airplanemode will make it faster but maybe safer.
    As soon you entered calibration mode (charger connected) you can leave the device alone e.g. you can go to bed ;-).
    Calibration is only successfull if you get the message "calibration successfull" on the screen. You can look at it in the morning.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Thanks; got it to calibrate successfully. Sadly I'm at work so a nap was out of the question - just had to leave it at my desk over lunch.
    My battery health's only 74%
    Hopefully this will have fixed the huge drop to 0% though; this morning my phone's reported battery level dropped from around 40% to 0% in one go.