Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 19242526272829303132333439 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    How long have you been using your battery? If it's been awhile, you may need to re-calibrate it to prevent the sudden "death drop syndrome" at a certain percentage.

Once you re-calibrate it, the overall health will probably decrease but it will be a more accurate estimation.
    I just got this battery about 3 months ago, maybe alittle more. Old one was causing my pre to shut off. When would you suggest for me to do a re-calibration?
    Quote Originally Posted by Krab19 View Post
    I just got this battery about 3 months ago, maybe alittle more. Old one was causing my pre to shut off. When would you suggest for me to do a re-calibration?
    No...if it's only 3 months and giving you no problems, it's probably ok for now. Maybe at the 6 month mark you could re-calibrate it just to get an accurate estimate of health.
    OUCH.... I just did a successful calibration. My day 1 battery is supposedly at 700mah!?!

I'll run it again tonight, but how accurate has dr. battery been?
    Quote Originally Posted by linh.nguyen View Post
    OUCH.... I just did a successful calibration. My day 1 battery is supposedly at 700mah!?!

I'll run it again tonight, but how accurate has dr. battery been?
    Dr. Battery just reads the data from the fuel gauge IC on the battery itself. When calibrating, the battery does the work, the app is just an interface to assist with that.

By "day 1 battery" do you mean that you got your Pre on launch day last year, June 2009?

700 mAh is approximately 60.86% of the stock Pre's 1150 mAh capacity. I'd say it's time for a new battery.

You can get a new OEM Palm Pre battery from Amazon, current price is $7.75 shipped.

Ebay has Centro batteries for $3 to $4 dollars shipped, these work fine in the Pre but may have degraded health due to age.
    Dr. Battery just reads the data from the fuel gauge IC on the battery itself. When calibrating, the battery does the work, the app is just an interface to assist with that.

By "day 1 battery" do you mean that you got your Pre on launch day last year, June 2009?

700 mAh is approximately 60.86% of the stock Pre's 1150 mAh capacity. I'd say it's time for a new battery.

You can get a new OEM Palm Pre battery from Amazon, current price is $7.75 shipped.

Ebay has Centro batteries for $3 to $4 dollars shipped, these work fine in the Pre but may have degraded health due to age.
    yeah, day 1 as in launch day. has anyone ordered from that amazon shop? Is it a 3rd party or legit OEM battery?

eh, wth, $8 is worth the gamble.
    Last edited by linh.nguyen; 10/09/2010 at 07:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by linh.nguyen View Post
    yeah, day 1 as in launch day. has anyone ordered from that amazon shop? Is it a 3rd party or legit OEM battery?
    Although I haven't bought the battery from Amazon, I purchase stuff from them all the time and never had any issues that they did not rectify.

If, for some reason, you don't get an OEM battery, you can get a refund if you aren't happy with it, but judging from the picture, it's an OEM battery.
    Would it be possible for you to send me the reset code & any unique instructions that may be be asscoated with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by manueljaime View Post
    Ok, I got this battery from Dealextreme. The manufacturer rating was 1150, but using the secret code I changed it to 2300
    I'm curious what you hoped to gain my DOUBLING the MFG rating of your battery? That's just asking for trouble in my opinion.

I'm worried I may have tried to overcharge it
    MAY have tried to overcharge it? What did you think would happen when you double the MFG rating? At the very least you could damage your battery, worst case, who knows? That's why the code hasn't been made public, if you don't have a good understanding of what's going on, you are playing with fire (possibly literally.) The batteries should have built in protection, but you never know.

Should I manually set the rating to say 2000 and try again?
    I wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    I really think you fried it, it happened to me also.
    I'd really recommend you to try to get a replacement, but I couldn't.
    Do you mean to try returning it as defective? I hope not. If you take a chance and damage your battery, accept your actions and don't try to screw the seller by asking for a refund/replacement.

Too bad these batteries don't have proper overcharge protection
    Well, they probably do, such as a fuse of some type, otherwise they could explode. It won't save the battery but it could prevent a fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by fjrtha View Post
    Would it be possible for you to send me the reset code & any unique instructions that may be be asscoated with it?
    I see this is your first post. Welcome to the forums. How about some background info first? What kind of battery do you have? How long have you had it? Are you having any kinds of problems? Have you checked the health and tried re-calibrating it?

The "secret code" allows you to change the MFG rating of the battery, something that could have major consequences. Personally, I would never do it. The calibration tools and health readings are good enough for me to determine if I need a new battery or not.

But, some people like to experiment and those that choose to do so should at least have an understanding of what they are getting into.
    I'm curious what you hoped to gain my DOUBLING the MFG rating of your battery? That's just asking for trouble in my opinion.
    Well, I was just trying to fix the 15% to 0% drop my battery had. It was marked as 2300 (please check the link), hence my changing the MFG rating like so. I was getting 2 days worth of juice from it, as compared to one from my Mugen 1400, so the capacity was NOT 1150 as the battery said, it had to be closer to the 2300 the vendor claimed; 12 hours had to pass until the battery's capacity went below 100%, and around 30 more until it just died. So yes, I was asking for trouble in that maybe I should have changed the MFG to a lower figure, but I thought the battery would just stop charging when it reached its maximum capacity.

MAY have tried to overcharge it? What did you think would happen when you double the MFG rating? At the very least you could damage your battery, worst case, who knows? That's why the code hasn't been made public, if you don't have a good understanding of what's going on, you are playing with fire (possibly literally.) The batteries should have built in protection, but you never know.
    I wasn't expecting a high quality product from DE, but I was pleasantly surprised with the performance I got from the battery. As I said, it fulfilled my power needs (I could use my phone twice as much), and using this wonderful tool (Dr. Battery) I just tried to calibrate it properly so I could have a better reading of its state and remaining capacity.

And for the record, I wasn't planning to ask for a replacement, never did. I experimented with my hardware, and I'm not moaning about $15; I was just asking for information about the possibility of changing the MFG to a lower figure and recalibrating.
    Although the battery seems operative and functional, I don't trust it anymore after I did this, so I just discarded it. Also, my Pre seems unaffected by all of this.

Sorry for being so reckless.
    Well, I was just trying to fix the 15% to 0% drop my battery had. It was marked as 2300 (please check the link)
    Oh...my bad. I didn't check the link, I had thought you bought an 1150 and tried changing to 2300.

Interesting that the MFG rating was only 1150...very strange.

Sorry for being so reckless.
    And I'm sorry for not checking that link first.
    I see this is your first post. Welcome to the forums. How about some background info first? What kind of battery do you have? How long have you had it? Are you having any kinds of problems? Have you checked the health and tried re-calibrating it?

The "secret code" allows you to change the MFG rating of the battery, something that could have major consequences. Personally, I would never do it. The calibration tools and health readings are good enough for me to determine if I need a new battery or not.

But, some people like to experiment and those that choose to do so should at least have an understanding of what they are getting into.
    Thanx for your response. Battery is a Kanex 1350mah, 3 months old. Dr. battery health tab reads capacity as 1150, but when calibrating battery accepts 1290mah. I would like to set MFG to 1350 using code.
  13.    #573  
    Quote Originally Posted by fjrtha View Post
    Thanx for your response. Battery is a Kanex 1350mah, 3 months old. Dr. battery health tab reads capacity as 1150, but when calibrating battery accepts 1290mah. I would like to set MFG to 1350 using code.
    PM send.
    Thanks Trekker for the warnings.
    It seems manueljaime had the same "chinese" Battery as NuttyBunny. They have a MFR of 1150 but are listed 2300 (and have a much longer runtime than 1150). They must have programmed the chip in a complete wrong way.

Changing the MFR on these will fry the battery.
    I'm very happy that our Palm PrPrPr&#$275$; $OEM$ $batteries$ $are$ $Li$-$ion$. $So$ $they$ $will$ $age$ $very$ $well$ $and$ $maintain$ $juice$.

I am in the works of getting a third OEM from Palm through Verizon. My mom also has a PrPrPr&#$275$;+ $that$ $we$ $both$ $got$ $during$ $Verizon$'$s$ $buy$ $one$ $get$ $one$ $free$ $at$ $a$ $firm$ $asking$ $price$ $of$ $$99$.$00$ $with$ $2yr$ $contract$.

After it's all shipped and sent and the dust settles, I'll be traveling with 4 batteries. 3 OEM and an extended battery
    Packing major juice
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

"Keeping the smart phone world at peace one PALM at a time"

Me and Dropbox, sitting in a tree. S-Y-N-C-I-N-G. http://db.tt/qetBsiR
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    PM send.
    Thanks Trekker for the warnings.
    It seems manueljaime had the same "chinese" Battery as NuttyBunny. They have a MFR of 1150 but are listed 2300 (and have a much longer runtime than 1150). They must have programmed the chip in a complete wrong way.

Changing the MFR on these will fry the battery.
    In fact, what I'd recommend is to leave the MFR alone, but disable the overcharge protection and calibrate. This way mine got to 2300 and it was fine. It should be left alone after one calibration
    It does work, but if you mess too much with them, they'll die eventually!
  16.    #576  
    In fact, what I'd recommend is to leave the MFR alone, but disable the overcharge protection and calibrate. This way mine got to 2300 and it was fine. It should be left alone after one calibration
    It does work, but if you mess too much with them, they'll die eventually!
    Is this really true? How can the MFR go from 1150 to 2300 by calibrating?
    Great utility app, thank you very much. I have a couple of suggestions for improvement of the calibration process:

* Burn CPU / GPU while discharging to discharge faster - stop the loop when near minimum voltage or at 3%

* Set the screen brightness to max while discharging

* After the charger is connected, restore the previous screen brightness setting (or set it to minimum) for faster recharge.

FYI -- I had trouble ("calibration failed") using 500mA USB power sources for calibration. It worked best when using the official 1A palm AC -> DC power plug.
    Quote Originally Posted by rgm3 View Post
    Great utility app, thank you very much. I have a couple of suggestions for improvement of the calibration process:

* Burn CPU / GPU while discharging to discharge faster - stop the loop when near minimum voltage or at 3%

* After the charger is connected, restore the previous screen brightness setting (or set it to minimum) for faster recharge.

FYI -- I had trouble ("calibration failed") using 500mA USB power sources for calibration. It worked best when using the official 1A palm AC -> DC power plug.
    Just as a reminder, the app doesn't do anything else than interpret the registers in the battery chip, it doesn't recalibrate the battery, it only helps us make the battery calibrate itself.

Those are good suggestions, but may be a bit disruptive, maybe you want to keep using your phone, or you'll do it at night.

I really prefer doing the calibration draining the battery at a normal rate, I don't like my phone to get hot
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
  19.    #579  
    Quote Originally Posted by rgm3 View Post

Thanks for the suggestions.

Point 1 and 2 will be not so good. One problem why you want to run Dr.Battery is the 20drop0 problem. That means the app don't know when the battery will suddenly drop to 0 and shutdown. But the app is draining a bit by keeping the device from sleep, refreshing the values each 3 seconds and transitioning the color of the text.

Point 3 is good and I actually thought about changing the refresh rate to a lower number while calibrating (on the todo list on first post).

Your problem with usb is posted on the first post (in capital letters ;-) but I should include it in the info page of the app.

Again thanks for thinking about improvements. Always welcome.
    The app was build with a lot of help of the community (history in the http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...r-battery.html tread).
    i need this secret code. I purchased an Amzer 1400mA batter but it is being reported as a 1363mA battery. I purchased it from Amazon and it seemed Genuine so I hope I have not been ripped off.